[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is fashion stagnating? You could probably get away with wearing

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1997.jpg (1MB, 2946x2340px) Image search: [Google]
1997.jpg
1MB, 2946x2340px
Is fashion stagnating? You could probably get away with wearing the same clothes you wore 20 years ago, and that's the first time that's been the case since maybe the 30s.

There are certain identifiable trends from the 90s, 2000s and 10s (90s had the grunge aesthetic, 2000s had emo/"gangster", 10s has hipster) but they aren't uniform in the way trends from the 70s and 80s were, in that EVERYONE wore the same breeds of outfits. Most people today just wear generic branded t-shirts and jeans, and this has been true since the 90s.

Here's a photo from 1997. Almost none of these people would look particularly out of place today.
>>
>>34339120
reminder that people wore the same clothes for 100s of years.

The invention of synthetic fabrics just meant there were a whole load of new clothes available. Its settled down now.
>>
>>34339120

Shit was baggier in 1997. Way baggier - loose fitting was all the rage.
>>
Everything's stagnating. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. The breakneck speed of advancement in everything in the 20th Century was never going to be sustainable.
>>
>>34339186

You're right, but as a shift, it isn't nearly as dramatic as going from even 1975 to 1985 for instance. The overall aesthetic (like I said, branded t-shirts and jeans) remains the same. The only drastically different aesthetic from today is the hipster trend but that's exclusive to relatively small groups located in liberal cities, it's not a unanimous style

>>34339204

Not really, technology is advancing quite rapidly. Maybe not in "epic" ways like space exploration or curing cancer, but the growth of internet and AI tech has been pretty massive.
>>
File: 1475589009276.jpg (196KB, 680x1020px)
1475589009276.jpg
196KB, 680x1020px
I agree and look into this sort of thing all the time OP. Although these people wouldn't look too out of place in 2017 they kind of would. Someone wearing '77 fashion in '97 would catch the eye quicker, but '97 in '17 would still look "awkward" and out of touch.

It probably depends on where you live also. That class wouldn't look as awkward today in Indiana but would definitely be out of place in NYC. I dont know how old you are, but I graduated HS in 2010. The kids definitley dressed different in 2007 as opposed to 2017, I see students at our local library. Chicks didnt wear Uggs and Leggings in '97.

I will agree that the 50s-90s had a more distinctive look with each decade over all. Perhaps the internet had something to do with it.
>>
>>34339564

I think rather than the Internet itself, it's just a result of the massive wave of postmodernism. Fragmentation, detachment, cynicism, apathy. "Why should I care what I wear? What's the point?"
>>
>>34339312

How old were you in the 90's? You'd be surprised how similar 1975-1985 was. Most of the extreme 70's and 80's fashions are what people see and remember, but the normal casual wear clothes weren't that different, desu. Jeans and graphic tees were always in style, pantlegs just became more tapered and earth tones became pastels.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.