[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many of you been diagnosed with mental disorders? I was

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1292123500756.png (167KB, 580x362px) Image search: [Google]
1292123500756.png
167KB, 580x362px
How many of you been diagnosed with mental disorders?

I was formally diagnosed with avoidant personality disorder a couple days ago. I wasn't really surprised, but for some reason being officially diagnosed with a disorder made me feel a bit weird, even though I'm the same person I was before the diagnosis.
>>
I've been diagnosed with depression, generalized anxiety, social anxiety, agoraphobia, OCD and the latest was PTSD. Don't take a doc's diagnosis too much to heart.
>>
>avoidant personality disorder
Not to be a downer OP but I should probably tell you that therapy and pills don't help and your life is going to be miserable
>>
Eh. Severe chronic depression without violent or suicidal tendencies reporting in. I just kind of want to sit there. I know these labels are somewhat approximate, but it's nice to have a name for it applied by someone reputable. If the treatment method is specific to the condition, and the treatment method helps, then that's good experimental confirmation that the diagnosis is accurate. Sometimes, the diagnosis is accurate but the treatment doesn't work, but it is very unlikely that the symptoms would improve coincidentally for some other reason than the treatment.

Since my medication seems to help, that reduces anxiety about the diagnosis. They say don't blame yourself for having a mental illness, and that's true. I take responsibility for my actions, but I recognize that a mental illness is an environmental factor that makes it more difficult to make the right decisions. This permits a reduced amount of shame, but it does not completely absolve me of guilt.

Retaining a guilty conscience provides a sense of control over my situation. This is important and helpful. People who say that mental illnesses are fake excuses and to be harsh towards yourself fail to understand these nuances. But people who say to wash my hands of my mistakes and blame everything on the mental illness also do not understand these nuances.
>>
>>34330210
My life is already miserable so I think I'll be fine.
>>
Avoidant personality disorder is difficult to treat according to what I've read, but it's not untreatable. Success rates for standard treatment strategies are low, but they are nonzero. This is an important distinction. It is one of the least threatening and most understandable personality disorders. People can easily sympathize with shyness and related problems. Characters with this disorder or similar in fictional works are well-received by fans. It sucks, but there are worse mental illnesses. So maybe more optimism than "your life is going to be miserable" is warranted.
>>
I have borderline personality disorder and want to kill myself.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.