[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did buying a diamond in order for the girl to say yes be

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1365.jpg (600KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1365.jpg
600KB, 2048x2048px
How did buying a diamond in order for the girl to say yes become this insane social norm?

https://youtu.be/6SY-IPaD5hM
>>
>>34288337
the greatest marketing campaign on earth. They made worthless rocks suddenly worth thousands just by marketing.
>>
>>34288357
>>34288337
It's symbolic though I don't think too many people actually recognize the symbolism so much these days. Marriage is supposed to be for life so when a man would propose he would humble himself on one knee and present his woman with the invincible stone that represented eternity.

Plus they're cut to make them all twinkly.
>>
I think cus of penguins.

And because they twinkle.
>>
>>34288337
because women are vain and care for nothing but material possessions and power, and men want sex
>>
>>34288388
I think most people recognize the symbolism of the diamond being the hardest mineral. And it would be nice if it didn't cost several months' work for the average person to obtain
>>
>>34288388
Is symbolism created by corporations to get people to spend more money really symbolism worth holding onto?

We could use that money renting a good house or buying a car instead of giving robbers more to steal.
>>
My dad proposed to my mum and made her pay for the wedding ring.

How my dad got away with that I'm not sure, they're still married 35+ years on.

If my mum saw that as a red flag and backed out I'd not even exist right now.
>>
>>34288650
it appears your mom was/is still in love with your dad.
>>
>>34288388
Wrong. It's an investment.

Diamonds and gold hold always has a pretty fixed value, compared to Fiat money. With a nice ring, you basically show the girl that you will never be a poorfag.
>>
>>34288629
One guy does it and it blows everyone's mind
Then someone else does it
then it spreads like wildfire and becomes a tradition

And here we are today. It's a meme that carried through the ages. It started with one rich dude and now every asshole does it by sheer social conditioning to the point where it's now expected and necessary. I really this one is a devilish corporate ploy.
>>
>>34288717
I really doubt* this one is a devilish corporate ploy.
>>
>>34288699
Diamonds do not hold value, they're incredibly hard to resell at anything approaching retail prices. Their high primary price comes from intentional suppression of secondary markets; there's so many diamonds out there that, if there were active secondary trading, their price would tank. As for the other stuff, if the dreaded fiat money is a worthless convention, I'm willing to take it off your hands.
>>
>>34288742
>>I really doubt* this one is a devilish corporate ploy.
It actually is lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5kWu1ifBGU
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1982/02/have-you-ever-tried-to-sell-a-diamond/304575/
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.