[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I found out my little brother has depression just now. Our entire

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

File: 1365616138271.gif (312KB, 624x384px) Image search: [Google]
1365616138271.gif
312KB, 624x384px
I found out my little brother has depression just now. Our entire family thought he was doing training at a hospital for two weeks until today it turned out the whole thing was just a lie and he was basically walking around the city the entire time. He also went to see a therapist on his own without telling anybody and got medication.
He said he feels empty inside and cant stand the thought of having another 80 years to go until he can die. Nobody knows how long he has been thinking like this or where it came from. We have a close family life at home and he never really had any hardships. Guess it doesn't work that way.

To be honest it hits me pretty hard how even I as his own brother couldn't see through his happy mask. Shit, we even played games during that time and everything and I didn't even suspect a thing. He just smiled fake into my face. So much for my illusion that I could read people.

This is partially a blogpost for me to vent because naturally I have no one else to tell this too, but I'm also asking what I should do now.
He obviously doesn't want me to interfere or else he would have talked to me or someone. Do I just pretend nothing happened when he comes home? How can I ever take him seriously again when I think hes happy? Actually how can i be sure he wont kill himself any day?
>>
Tell your brother to pray to Jesus. Just try it. You can pray for him too. There's no harm in it, it's a very sweet thing to do. God will help. Also, if you're gonna tell me God doesn't exist then save it. Don't reply.
>>
>>34239827
thanks for the reply. beliefs aside i do want to be honest with you here: you telling me that theres nothing i can do but pray doesnt make me feel much better.
>>
I have borderline personality disorder wich includes depression . Don't feel bad for not knowing, it's really easy to hide.
Don't tell him "just be happy"
Don't tell him "why you act like that, what did we do for you to act like that"
Just keep an eye on him
Let him know that you are there to help if he needs anything
Being depressed, at least for me, it's like a state of emptiness where nothing matters and the negative things hit harder while the positives slip by
Just be supportive, inform yourself, and keep him close
>>
I know someone like this, and it sucks so much. I feel totally helpless, I can't figure out how to uplift her or anything. It doesn't help that I'm also pretty much depressed, but something compels me to watch for her. To take care of her, to care of her. I have no clue what to do. I'd give anything for her to be happy.
>>
>>34239899

Prayer is more powerful than you think. Especially if it's from the heart. I'm sorry I can't make you feel better but I really think you should pray.
>>
>>34239504
Eh, don't take it personally.

Given that my older brother possibly contributed to my own depression, I certainly didn't want to confide in him about it.

It's rough, man. But I'm sure he still loves you and shit, it's honestly pretty brave of him to do what he did - taking the steps to address his mental health like that. As you said, he didn't want any interference, and needed his space in order to achieve this.

Do you know what meds he's taking, though? Anti-d's are pretty fucking hardcore, I think I'd be happier if my bro had a smack habit..
>>
>>34239988
Yes, let's pray and hope OPs problem fixes itself.
>>
>>34240051

You need to have faith. Doubting before you even try isn't going to solve anything. You already think it's not going to work. Prayer really does work.
>>
>>34239932
>Let him know that you are there to help if he needs anything
i like the sound of that. heres hoping im actually up to the challenge if the situation comes. i never planned on giving him the normie-advice treatment. that at least is one thing i took away from this board.

>>34240010
i was only told by my mom like 45 minutes ago and havent seen im yet so i dont know any details about what therapy and medication hes doing exactly. ture, its very brave and unexpectedly self reliant of him to do that, but it still hurts, you know?

>>34239944
what an awful fucking disorder, seriously. nobody deserves this.
>>
>>34239504
A selfless or depressed person can see through the happy mask

Your brother is a pussy. He should have embraced the void. Once you do you lose all feels and can finally rest.
>>
>>34239504
>Actually how can i be sure he wont kill himself any day?
He gave enough of a shit to see someone and take pills.
With your devastation is seems as if your family stigmatizes mental illness, that's probably why he hid all of this.
He's getting better of his own volition- it shows strength and a concerted effort to get better, he's gonna make it.
>>
>>34240087
your hearts in the right place, dude.

ive personally been feeling a little more emotional lately, i was hating on myself earlier this week for not caring enough about my friends fathers terminal condition, only to just about tear up out of empathy when i actually heard the news about his passing a day later.

not to downplay the seriousness of it, but depression is not a totally uncommon condition - but it's NOT normal either. he should hopefully get there. in the meantime, just try and be there for him in a way that doesn't feel like you're totally smothering him, just try to take note of what's going on and do some nice little things for him on occasion. you sound like a good (caring) brother indeed. I used to have a similar relationship with my own.
>>
>>34240087
>what an awful fucking disorder, seriously. nobody deserves this
I guess, I just don't understand honestly.
>>
>>34240071
Listen buddy. I grew up in a christian household and went to a private christian elementary school. Nothing ever happened when I prayed. It certainly didn't stop my parents from divorcing or any of the other bad shit in my life from happening.

God doesn't exist.
>>
>>34239504
My uncle had a similar problem. He had a voice in his head that basically told him to kill himself. No one suspected anything. One day he came to our house and told my mother that he felt he was going to die soon.

My mother immediately dialed her friend to pray for him. That sorted things out. Do not say prayer doesnt work. I, and my uncle, are proof it does work.
>>
>>34239504
This is one of the most normie posts I've ever seen on this shitty website.
>>
File: 7JzxJ.jpg (24KB, 714x599px) Image search: [Google]
7JzxJ.jpg
24KB, 714x599px
>>34240204

Hey dude, I told you not to get triggered. Just to try it. If you don't even want to sacrifice your pride for a brief millisecond to pray for your brother then fine dude. But I'm telling you there's nothing you will be able to do, he's being attacked by demons in the spirit realm.

Stuff like schizophrenia hearing voices, tourettes (compulsively swearing and stuff) having seizures etc and even depression are all caused by demons.
>>
>>34240204
>wahh god doesn't give what I want so he doesn't exist

Life is a learning experience. If you received everything you wished for then what would be the point of this existence?
>>
>>34240272
I'm not OP. You're crazy.

>>34240336
If thats the case then what's the point of god? To sometimes help out with peoples problems and ignore others?
>>
>>34239504
Take him to an amusement park. Have him go on roller coasters. Go outside with him and do activities together. He needs to see the world from his own five senses.
>>
>>34240336

Please don't trigger him further. I completely understand where he's coming from. I've prayed countless times for things and God has never answered, but for some other things he clearly has. I understand his bitterness.
>>
>>34240401

Wait so then how do you explain people hearing voices inside of their heads? Do you think that's just a brain malfunction? Or what about splir personalities... what about sleep walking?

Or with tourettes, why does it have to be curse words? Why do people have to scream out horrible profanic messages?

Can you not put 2 and 2 together?
>>
File: image.png (114KB, 258x258px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
114KB, 258x258px
>>34240272
Prayers have never worked for me
Only hard work can get you out of a bad situation.
>>
>>34240457

You are meant to pray and also do the hard work, not just sit back and pray.
>>
>>34240401
I don't believe in a God per see, I just think it's foolish to assume he doesn't exist just because you didn't get what you want.

>what's the point of god?
If he exists then he created the universe. Isn't that enough? Why does everything have to be perfect? Don't you realize a perfect life would just be underappreciated? Don't you realize the negative has to exist in order to see the positive?
>>
>>34240272
>he's being attacked by demons in the spirit realm.
another anon here
My parents used to tell this to me all the time.
You had me giggling a bit
>>
>>34240457
You've never been depressed, hard work doesn't have anything to do with being or not being depressed
>>
>>34240481

>You had me giggling a bit

You won't be giggling when you realize that it is actually all real.
>>
>>34239504
>He said he feels empty inside and cant stand the thought of having another 80 years to go until he can die.

Unless he's like 6 he probably won't live that long
>>
>>34240497
Not that anon.
depression is a meme.
Just get innawoods and chop wood all day long.
depression: gone for good
>>
>>34240548
Wow, so insightful!

Your opinion is a meme.
>>
>>34240416
Don't act so smug, cunt.

>>34240457
this

>>34240480
I understand that life can't be perfect. Why do you think I want everything to be perfect? I didn't stop believing in god just because I didn't get any help with my miserable life. I also stopped believing in him because it doesn't make any logical sense.
>>
>>34240497
when did he say he was depressed?
>>
>>34240592

Wait are you even the OP? If not why am I even replying to you.
>>
>>34240592
> Why do you think I want everything to be perfect?
Because you used a negative experience as an argument against his existence.

> I also stopped believing in him because it doesn't make any logical sense.

And the entire universe coming into creation out of nothingness does make sense to you?
>>
>>34239504
>Do I just pretend nothing happened when he comes home? How can I ever take him seriously again when I think hes happy? Actually how can i be sure he wont kill himself any day?

Acting different will make him feel like less of a person, aka that needs "help". He obviously cares about his family if he wen't to get help but he hid it because he didn't want to be looked down on. Just do the same as you always have it's better that way.
>>
>>34240525
Kek.
Who's better?
>a nihilist that does good things with no prospect of reward
or
>a christian who does good things with the thought of paradise in his mind?
>>
It's extremely easy to hide a depression. I was pretty depressed for a few month and not even my parents suspected a thing, so don't beat yourself up because of that.
>>
>>34239504

He wasn't trying to lie to you when he was smiling, he probably did feel some degree of happiness, or at least knew that he should. This becomes more common after suffering from depression for a while, which suggests he's probably been feeling this way for some time.

The first thing you should do is tell him that you love him, that you're there for him and you'll support him. Don't act like a faggot feeling hurt that he wasn't being 'genuine' to you, these are emotions which are held deeply within someone, burdening your family with your deepest insecurities when you're supposed to be playing videogames doesn't make sense.

What you should do is gently ask him how long he's felt this way, and what he thinks may have brought it to a head. It sounds as though he feels under pressure to succeed professionally, make his family proud of him, play the role of the successful young adult.
>>
>>34240636
I don't believe in the big bang either. I'm not really sure what created the universe but I really don't think it was some dude above the clouds who just randomly decided to create humanity.
>>
>>34240745
I believe the universe is a simulation of some sort created by multidimensional beings. Maybe by ourselves just so we could experience, like we're playing a video game. And I believe the end game (aka ending the reincarnation cycle) can only be reached through enlightenment (or nirvana as the Buddhists call it)

This of course is just a theory, but there's increasingly more evidence to support the idea that we're living in a simulation.
>>
>>34240705
thank you, i think i understand a little better now why he pretended everything was fine. its true, finding the right time to mention it would be hard and it becomes even harder the longer it goes on. getting overly emotional over it obviously wont help getting him to feel supported.
i really appreciate your post.
>>
>>34241091

No worries anon, I've had depression most of my life, and luckily I'm generally able to manage it now. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it completely but everyone is different. I hope your brother starts feeling better soon.

Some more advice - find out what is important to HIM, not what he feels obliged to make important (e.g., family, commitments, financial success etc.), but his own 'selfish' desires, his hobbies, things that made him happy. Reconnecting with my own interests and giving them more time in my life dramatically helped me, I even re-trained to focus my career on my passion and it dramatically improved overall mood.
>>
File: 1445368428428.jpg (90KB, 600x411px) Image search: [Google]
1445368428428.jpg
90KB, 600x411px
>>34239504

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eBUcBfkVCo

Andrew Solomon has a ton more. If you don't watch his videos to inform yourself you're a terrible brother
>>
>>34240228
Damn, close call. It's even more interesting in my experience; whenever I pray for something, the opposite happens. It took me to lose two lovers and one family member before I learned how to make it swing my way.
>>
>>34239827
I was a christian for 14 years and God never once spoke to me. If he does exist he's hiding
>>
>>34241838
God only speaks to saints and such, not parasitic worms like you. It's like you never even read your toilet paper of a book.
>>
>>34241876
I've read the bible plenty anon. All other christians talk about how they hear God speaking to them and telling them what to do. I've never heard or felt anything

Plus I was a fucking kid, if God can't come talk to a kid for five seconds to ensure his place in heaven and safety from eternal torture in hell then he's not deserving of worship
>>
File: 1033538.jpg (39KB, 830x560px) Image search: [Google]
1033538.jpg
39KB, 830x560px
>>34239827
God doesn't exist

u mad brah?
>>
>>34239504
>and he never really had any hardships.
This is all it is.

He's a man. Men need to prove themselves to themselves and domestic living won't let them.
>>
>>34239944
:-( i don't know what to write, just you're the best.
>>
>>34239504
There's something inside him telling him he is on his own despite knowing you are all there to help him. Somewhere along the line of his development a part of him fractured causing something of him to get stuck in that moment which he will hopefully heal and overcome. The best thing you can do is to treat him like you always have but just pay close attention to him. Try not to hover over him or be pushy to help. Just keep an open eye and an open ear to him
>>
>>34239827
All abrahamic religion infected humans should be quelled.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.