[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does "taking control of your life" mean submitting

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 14

Does "taking control of your life" mean submitting to the 9-5 job and spending all your money on an apartment and car?
>>
>>34211981
You also need to provide for a woman that refuses to work and her son from another man!
>>
>>34211981
this could also be called "manning up"
>>
No it means to do things that make you happy while also taking care of yourself.
>>
Instead of looking at it from a prescriptive of basement dwellers, why not actually become a productive member of society with value?

Not only will that allow others to admire your work ethics but also respect you and talk to you about things related to your job.

You should look at life with a long term plan, if you work hard for the next 20 years you'll spend whatever's left of your life in a comfy early retirement while holding a title along with having a family if you desire so.

On the other hand if you spend the next 5 years being a Neet you'll just regret it and desire suicide even more.
>>
>>34212370
But escapism is the only thing that makes me feel warm and safe.
>>
>>34211981

Taking control is just that, CONTROL

You control what is going on. You are not helpless anymore in your situation.

It has nothing to do with money, personal space, or a vehicle, all of that comes once you take control.

How do you take control?
1. Unplug PC for one week

One week, no PC, no phone, just let people know you are unplugging
>>
>>34212468
It's supposed to be a form of entertainment to refresh you physically and mentally not a lifestyle.
>>
>>34212370
>if you work hard for the next 20 years you'll spend whatever's left of your life in a comfy early retirement while holding a title along with having a family if you desire so.

you mean work hard for the next 50 years in a minimum wage job, get divorced and die alone with children who hate you?

oh boy sign me up
>>
>>34212370
yes yes, good goy, get a job and pay taxes, GOOD goyim
>>
>>34212205
that presumes these two things are not mutually exclusive

>>34212490
So then what do you do during that week?

>>34212499
so what do you do if the real world just doesn't seem very compelling?
>>
>>34212503
only if you're retarded enough to settle with minimum wage with no attempt whatsoever to improve your value and abilities..
>>
>>34212644
everything is predetermined my friend, you can do a bit i grant you but realistically you're born to be what you are and not everyone can be successful. you sound like a normalfag so you'll probably deny this but it's more or less the truth.
>>
File: 1410982189485.jpg (53KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1410982189485.jpg
53KB, 500x500px
>>34212560
This
The "real world" is a fucking joke
>here anon get this shitty job you hate
>here spend 99% of your earned money on a shit apartment and utilities
>enjoyment? haha grow up kiddo, this is the REAL WORLD
Thanks but no thanks, I'll sit here and watch anime instead

What I can not understand is why anyone would actually be attracted to this so called "real world"
Everyone bitches about how brutal and soul crushing it is yet people seem to lavish in the very ideal of the real world.
>>
>>34211981

Yes, yes it does.
However people choose to term it "manning up", "Being Responsible", Taking Pride"... Whatever.

Ultimately that's exactly what it means. Work, Consume,Reproduce, Consume.
>>
>>34212735
I'm a serious disbeliever in free-will, but you're just using that to cover your lazy habits.
>>
>>34212803
im not, im a piece of shit human garbage, but then why am i? mostly genetics, upbringing and bad luck. still regardless i blame myself.
>>
>>34212787
>What I can not understand is why anyone would actually be attracted to this so called "real world"

brainwashing
>>
>>34212787
>Everyone bitches about how brutal and soul crushing it is yet people seem to lavish in the very ideal of the real world.

Because its not as simple as getting a job and being happy, don't be fooled, wage slaves and guys with families aren't immune to regret, they just have a better chance at finding happiness than us NEETs because they have more money which means more options and opportunities.

Sadly being a NEET is bound to lead you to misery if you have any ambition at all.
>>
File: 1446746250946.jpg (54KB, 500x495px) Image search: [Google]
1446746250946.jpg
54KB, 500x495px
I would love a 9-5 job. Those are the best hours to work, night jobs suck. Only 8 hour long shifts too, probably only 5 days a week with days off on the actual weekend! So lucky. I bet I'd even get a lunch break and a chair so I could sit down instead of being on my feet continuously the entire shift, every single day.

All that AND it pays enough for an apartment and a car? That's the dream, man. A dream job, a dream life, so out of reach for me and you talk like it's terrible. You kids don't know how bad things really are.
>>
>>34211981
You've got to have financial independence. And you need logistics to actually fuck a girl. By logistics, I mean a place (such as your apartment) and the means to get to it, such as your own vehicle.
>>
File: 1413803098979.gif (2MB, 416x320px) Image search: [Google]
1413803098979.gif
2MB, 416x320px
>>34211981
I agree that there is a lot of bullshit consumerism associated with our idea of a good life, but think of it this way. How can you consider yourself "in control" of your own life when you cannot actually support yourself financially?
Somebody else is in control, whether it is the government, your parents, or homeless services if you are incapable of putting food on your own table. There are lots of legitimate reasons a person might not be able to provide for the necessities in life (such as drug addiction in homeless populations) but it is nonetheless true that if you have the opportunities to support yourself, there is something prideful in taking advantage of that and handling your own business. Being a self-sufficient adult, you know?
>>
>>34212925
>if you have any ambition at all.
A lot of us don't. Actually I'd say a lot of normies don't, either, considering how many of them seem to just put up with jobs they hate and then come home and watch TV.

A lot of the people who do have ambition only exhibit that trait because they fear social disapproval if they don't accomplish things, rather than from any internal drive.
>>
File: 1480188163438.jpg (211KB, 708x719px) Image search: [Google]
1480188163438.jpg
211KB, 708x719px
>>34212976
Yeah but after a week or two you'd realise it's not as great as you though and you'd want something else. In the same way most NEETs want a job, but then when they get it they want to be a NEET again, and the cycle continues.

The ride never ends.
>>
>>34212829
You're also lazy; that's a big one. Hood niggas have all of the above problems, but they still get laid more than you.
>>
>>34213000
In return you lose control of what you can do during your work hours. Either way you lose.
>>
>>34213000
Well if you have a job you aren't really in control of your destiny either. Your boss is. Your freedom is constrained by the need to keep the paychecks rolling in.

You're in control of your life when and if you have enough wealth to not need to work.
>>
You have to understand that normies enjoy working.

Atleast they hate not working. The defining characteristic of a normie is their psychological need for a job. It is basically what their lives revolve around. It's where they meet other normies, it's what gives them a purpose. It's the answer to everything for a normie.
>>
>>34213037
why do you assume i care about getting laid? but yes i am lazy but why wouldnt i be, theres nothing for me in the real world
>>
>>34213054
The understanding though is that you are rendering a useful service in return for the money required to have any freedom. Not to mention that you can enjoy what you do for a living, and yes it is possible.
>>34213058
>You're in control of your life when and if you have enough wealth to not need to work.
If you believe that, then the only way to reach that point of freedom is to work and become self-sufficient in the first place, correct?
>>
Your parents have to lie to you, anon. No one really knows.
>>
>>34213088
Laziness is a learned habit.
>>
>>34213088
>why do you assume i care about getting laid?

lol I think thats part of the reason I've been a NEET so long. When you don't care about impressing girls theres not much incentive to work when entertainment is free and abundant thanks to the internet.
>>
>>34213146
yeah and its learned because of my environment and circumstances which are largely outside of my control
>>
>>34213095
The point is you're doing what other people want you to do for money. That definitely doesn't seem like you're in control anymore.
>>
File: 1414120113607.gif (2MB, 320x220px) Image search: [Google]
1414120113607.gif
2MB, 320x220px
>>34213000
Ironic that you post an image saying "consider the following" yet you haven't seemed to consider that your ideal isn't everyone's ideal.
Consider the following: My idea of a good life is NOT being in control of certain aspects.
I don't want to be in control of earning food
I don't want to be in control of earning shelter
I want these things provide for me so I can focus my time and energy to what I find fulfilling.
If you find fulfillment in earning these things, good for you, not all of us do.
>>
>>34213095
>>The understanding though is that you are rendering a useful service in return for the money required to have any freedom.
And the moment you're no longer useful the money goes away. If you have to structure your life around keeping a job, how in control of that life are you?

>Not to mention that you can enjoy what you do for a living, and yes it is possible.
Not for everyone it isn't. If you're lucky enough to enjoy doing something that someone will pay you to do, that's great. But a lot of people don't have any interests that are marketable skills. Which makes sense - if the jobs consisted of things lots of people liked to do inherently, they wouldn't need to pay people to do them.
>>
>>34213198
There are certainly jobs where you have very little control over the work you are doing, but the question that you have to ask yourself is whether you'd rather perform a boring task for at least 6 hours a day in exchange for the freedom that financial independence provides, or be completely at the whim of a fixed income from an outside source that may leave you with no freedom at all. Again, finding a job that you can at least tolerate, and at times enjoy is certainly possible too.

>>34213201
>My idea of a good life is NOT being in control of certain aspects.
I find that difficult to believe, but if you truly have no complaint about being totally dependent on others for your life needs, then we have no squabble. Everyone chooses how they go through life, but being a NEET is immeasurably more difficult.

>>34213211
>And the moment you're no longer useful the money goes away.
This isn't really how most jobs work though, because although employees can be laid off, both union and contract workers have stipulations that either protect them or offer a financial crash pad.

>Not for everyone it isn't.
While it's true that your passion may not be marketable, I didn't say that working in your field of passion is the only route to happiness at work. Does my father love mechanical inspection? Probably not, but he finds ways to tolerate and appreciate the environment he spends his weekdays in because it is important to him.
>>
>>34213211
This, jobs by nature are things people do not enjoy doing.
I think normies confuse complacency with enjoyment
>>
>>34213409
it's also easy to find that you no longer enjoy something after you get a job doing it.
>>
>>34213406
Staying at home is more difficult than working six days a week for 30 years?
Your idea of difficulty is rather skewed I think.
Unless you are referring to 'security' as difficulty.
That is, the possibility of the factors that are out of your control going in a direction which is not beneficial to you.
Such as
In which case you mean that your job doesn't bring you enjoyment, but security.
So in that case, what you really enjoy is security.
But if you have absolute security why would you work?
>>
>>34213406
>but the question that you have to ask yourself is whether you'd rather perform a boring task for at least 6 hours a day in exchange for the freedom that financial independence provides, or be completely at the whim of a fixed income from an outside source that may leave you with no freedom at all
Yeah that's called compromising, not being in control, which is the whole damn point of this exchange. It's like choosing between different flavors of shit but it'll always be shit in comparison to how others may have it because of their birth.
>>
>>34212787
>What I can not understand is why anyone would actually be attracted to this so called "real world"

we can't all be NEETs anon, I'm glad your parents knew how to invest but mine are retarded and I gotta get shit running myself.
>>
>>34213562
>Staying at home is more difficult than working six days a week for 30 years?
Whose home? Where is this home you can stay at indefinitely without paying? I guess there is section 8 housing, but most people there cannot afford anything better, not because they don't want to work.
>So in that case, what you really enjoy is security.
That's one thing that I find enjoyable. It's good to know that the bottom isn't going to fall out tomorrow, or that I am in a stable situation. I think that's very reasonable.
>But if you have absolute security why would you work?
Firstly, there is no such thing as absolute financial security, but there are varying levels of it. I would place dependence on parents, the state, or welfare benefits to be on a very low end of that spectrum. I make no moral judgement against using those services and supports, but it seems unnescarily difficult to go that route if you have the opportunity to do otherwise.

>>34213597
>Yeah that's called compromising, not being in control, which is the whole damn point of this exchange.
But you can compromise with your control. It doesn't have to be a black-or-white issue. No man is an island.

>It's like choosing between different flavors of shit but it'll always be shit in comparison to how others may have it because of their birth.
But almost everybody eats that shit, you know? Life doesn't taste like roses 24/7 and that's just how it is, whether you work 80 hours a week or 0. Are some people really lucky and get born into millionaire families and privileged lives? Sure. But if that's the thing stopping you from seeking gainful employment, a serious adjustment of perspective is needed.
>>
>>34211981
Who works from 9 to 5? I'm a 7 to 3 wagie, way better than the 9 to 5 routine.
>>
File: output_sP4vN6.gif (225KB, 538x323px) Image search: [Google]
output_sP4vN6.gif
225KB, 538x323px
As usual
Anons offer actual advice to better someone's life on r9k only to be met with nothing but nihilism and full acceptance of defeatism.

Everything must stay the same and the comfort bubble must be protected at all cost even if it sparks insanity.

Nothing changed in the past 3 years.
>>
>>34211981
I'm working from 7 to 4
>>
>>34213804
>actual advice

debatable
>>
>>34213836
Thanks for proving my point.
It wouldn't be debatable if they just tried.
>>
>>34213904
>has a need to 'save' others
>doesn't just 'save' himself

I wonder why that is.
>>
>>34213940
Growing yourself by growing others. The foundation of self-reliance.
>>
File: 562.jpg (67KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
562.jpg
67KB, 600x600px
>>34213978
Sounds like something you read in a self-help book.

Get a grip.
>>
File: 1483774534745.jpg (97KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
1483774534745.jpg
97KB, 550x512px
I fucking hate having to work, but I hate being broke more because you need money to do and get shit obviously.
>>
>>34213940
Because if you actually show your accomplishments you get shoo'd off like a gains goblin.
>>
>>34213996
>Get a grip.
Getting this from someone on this board is kind of ironic.
>>
>>34214021
that's because no one cares. why do want to brag anyway?

>>34214026
atleast I aint you.
>>
File: 0977 - xHtZbSA.jpg (5KB, 329x328px) Image search: [Google]
0977 - xHtZbSA.jpg
5KB, 329x328px
>>34214000
>mfw work 16 hours a week and get $100 each week and just give half to my mommy
>>
>>34214050
>atleast I aint you.
You'd be surprised how nice it is to be me. I'd give it a 9 out of 10.
>>
>>34211981

Because a 9-5 job is easier to attain than a successful business or success in another high risk potentially lucrative venture.
>>
>>34214066
you'd be surprised how little I care.
>>
>>34214057
You make $6.25 per hour? That's sad.
>>
>>34214085
About life, yourself and others. I get it, shitpostbro.
>>
File: 1440012916826.jpg (112KB, 1126x774px) Image search: [Google]
1440012916826.jpg
112KB, 1126x774px
>>34214104
most of all about you though.
>>
>>34214086
8.30/hr and then that's what i'll take home after taxes
don't be american
>>
>>34214085
>>34214050
because of this

>>34213940

you did nothing but prove every point i made, but of course you'll just find something to spin around it.
>>
>>34214142
no one wants or need your help. you just need to 'help' people to feed your pathological need.
>>
>>34214057
Life just pisses me off.
I get to the point of getting money, and after having to burn it on the important shit, I have nothing left for myself to save or use for recreation and escapism from this shit.

How do people in the real life stand this shit? Especially with an entire family to support? This fucking sucks, I WISH I could be a fucking NEET but my parents pretty much forced me into getting one or being homeless.
>>
>>34212370
>implying we'll be alive in the next 20 years. We're living the end of times, that's why I don't give a shit. Got myself a nice little apartment for myself with all I need, water, food, TV, can play video games whenever the fuck I want, and do whatever makes me happy. Got a full time job from 3PM to 12PM every day to support myself. Drive a 2015 nice car that get me to point A to point B in style, just living the life. I didn't even finish high school but at least I got a job that supports me and I'm happy this way. Have no girlfriend and I'm not planning to have any kids in the near future (10 years) or don't have kids at all.

If I die tomorrow, all this fucking shit will stay here while you'll be buried 10ft under the ground for an eternity, enjoy life now that you're going robots, tomorrow isn't promised, and we're about to have a nuclear world war. My mom keeps yelling at me about finishing my school so I can get a better job but I don't really give a fuck, I already have what I need and I don't think I'll ever want more, I'm happy like this.
>>
File: 1479869206003.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1479869206003.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
>>34213666
My combined household income is less than 35k USD yearly
But this house is paid for and all that needs to be paid is the utilities and property taxes so I'll always at least have shelter.

>>34213750
One thing living in this area (a blue collar suburb of baltimore) has taught me is that the bottom will absolutely fall out from under people with no warning. People get laid off, injured, companies go bankrupt. This entire town I live in was built for the steel plant, the steel plant is literally rubble now.
Sure you are correct, there is no absolute security...but I am not going to base my existence on that in the same manner you don't think about your company going bankrupt.
You make and plan your life around what you have, I have what I have and you have what you have, the difference being I can always get what you have.
If my mom told me tomorrow that we are going to lose our home unless I get a job than I would get a job as I have done before in just such a need.
But until such a drastic reason arises, for what reason would I work?
>>
>>34212370
>Not only will that allow others to admire your work ethics but also respect you

i work in retail, nobody respects me
>>
my father drilled into my head growing up that my worth is dependant on having a job. if you dont have a job, or have a shitty job, you are basically worthless and not a real man. I wish i could unlearn this, but its hard.
>>
>>34214221
Because you stopped in retail instead of finding ways to get to better areas.
>>
>>34214263
You are not going anywhere in retail, your only choice is to quit and throw yourself to the wolves for something better unless you want to stock the same shelves for 50 years.
>>
MONEY decides whether you control your life and I don't mean that paltry neet bux. There is literally no way to escape the wage slave life unless you strike the lottery or think up a million dollar idea that millions of failed entrepreneurs haven't thought up yet. So best start buying those lottery tickets you NEETS :)
>>
>>34214300
Bro just work hard and you can become a CEO.

I did it you can too :-)
>>
>>34214300
>use some bucks/find some free training courses to fill your resume with certificates
>apply to other retails as a manger with retail work experience
>apply to bigger shops as an office worker with retail management experience
>apply to even bigger shops/malls as a supervisor with management and office work experience
>>
>>34214218
Your point about the gutting of industrial towns is totally valid and and I didn't really get into the nuance of the entire job market out there. That said, I made the points that I did because the assertion of "here today, gone tomorrow" is not an internally consistent reason to avoid employment.

>But until such a drastic reason arises, for what reason would I work?

If you only work to stave off impending homelessness, then you're just creating a problem for yourself.

I want to be clear about where I'm coming from. I'm well aware of the institutional barriers to simply entering the job market, to say nothing of actually building a career. There are people in this country who saw their home cities lose their entire industries with absolutely nothing to fill the vacuum apart from the service industry. I'm not bashing anybody who needs social services, or has to live at home as an adult. Been there, done that.

However, I am totally put off by the argument that being employed in order to construct a personal safety net in the case of financial downturn is somehow a worse thing than consciously choosing the NEET life.

>People get laid off, injured, companies go bankrupt.
And when that happens, by all means, find the social safety nets out there to support yourself, that's why they are there. But the assertion that NEET life provides a higher level of security is fallacious, assuming you were not born into wealth.
>>
>>34212370
>living your life for the respect and admiration of other people
Stupid normalfaggot.
>>
File: 1453392655456.jpg (125KB, 962x642px) Image search: [Google]
1453392655456.jpg
125KB, 962x642px
>>34214608
why are you so triggered anon-sama?
>>
>>34212127
ending up with a women who rode on the cock carousel wanting a diamond ring making you have to love her even when she developed inimate relationships with many others long before you and have to spend money on someone who moves from person to person
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.