[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I take anti-depressants. i was just reading that they are supposed

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: 1460204483629.jpg (25KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1460204483629.jpg
25KB, 480x480px
I take anti-depressants. i was just reading that they are supposed to return you to your 'previous self'. but the problem is i've been depressed from ages 12 to now (19) and i don't actually know what that previous self is.... i certainly don't remember having any sense of self before age 12....... fuck, I don't have a sense of self now now ( yeah, yeah, 19, you young blah blah) what the hell is a self even- so, what the hell are theses pills supposed to do for me? i fell the only thing that they do is make me content with being depressed all the time.

so in a way my question is more about this 'self' that i'm supposed to be returning to... what do you suppose it could be? i'm aware this question has been puzzled over for hundreds of years, what i'm asking is what does a sense of self feel like?
>>
Stop reading stupid shit. That's not how antidepressants work.

Just pay attention to how you feel, report to psych doc, they will adjust.
>>
>>34208833

What kind of questions have you when are depressed?
>>
>>34208956
>What kind of questions have you when are depressed?

this is important op
>>
>>34208833
>he fell for the anti-depressant meme

Get off of them if you want a chance at being happy

Because otherwise you're taking the road to being dead inside and living an empty life without highs or lows, just a flat-line of mediocrity.
Also adversity builds character, I wouldn't be the person I am today if I hadn't gone though a bunch of bullshit and overcome it.

Besides, your depression is likely due to malnutrition and low testosterone which can be fixed by eating better and taking supplements.
>>
>>34209023
>your depression is likely due to malnutrition and low testosterone which can be fixed by eating better and taking supplements.

Life advice from 4chan
>>
Those kinds of pills have never fixed anyone.

They have made ppl kill themselves tho.
>>
>>34209046
Or you can just take whatever life-ruining pills big pharma is paying your doctors to shill out to the masses lol
>>
File: 1460227858009.jpg (19KB, 300x252px) Image search: [Google]
1460227858009.jpg
19KB, 300x252px
>>34209023
my blood tests said my nutrition and T was fine. i think what is at the root of my depression is the years of child abuse I was gifted. as for falling for a meme..... well I just figured it was worth a shot, because you know, life was particularly painful when i started taking, thats not to say that i didn't cop it from my father just for a doctor offering me AD .
>>34208956
huh
>>34208878
oh i didn't realise it was so incorrect, why do all these anti-depressent info sites and pamphlets say that they are supposed to return you to your 'regular self'
>>
>>34209046
yeah man he learnt that from his hero- Sam Hyde.
>>
>>34209172
>why do all these anti-depressent info sites and pamphlets say that they are supposed to return you to your 'regular self'

Because at the end of the day, they're simply trying to sell you a product, not fix you. If they fixed you they would be out of a business lol
>>
>>34208833
>Anti-depressants
a meme created by the pharma industry and enforced by "psychologists"
>Psilocybin
Nature's true anti-depressants, vilified by the pharma industry because they cannot patent it and thus cannot profit from it
>LSD
synthetic, but far more effective than any legal anti-depressants. A single dose can alleviate your depression for up to three months.
>>
>what the hell is a self even

The self is a meme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKiYOFVJKRw.
>>
>>34209172
>>34208833
That's because they're marketed at people suffering from short term bouts of clinical depression.
From the little I've gathered fromm your description I'm not sure you should be taking antidepressants in the first place.
>>
File: NED030-DSO-Drought.jpg (971KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
NED030-DSO-Drought.jpg
971KB, 1500x1500px
You should read thus spake zarathustra and learn to stave off the devil melancholy im 18 living alone make just enough for rent work nights listen to audiobooks and play dark souls on my off days want to go back to college
>>
you'll essentially just become an adult baby.
>>
>>34209358
LSD sounds like a shit advice
>>
>>34209904
lsd and mushrooms have been clinically showing to be quite effective at this
>>
File: mgs2_174_5a2.jpg (88KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
mgs2_174_5a2.jpg
88KB, 640x480px
>>34208833
>what i'm asking is what does a sense of self feel like?
Nigga, you's going into deep shit there.

Anyway, the medicine is to stop you killing yourself. Your thoughts won't dramatically change but it'll you'll slowly not feel as bad.
>>
>>34209944
What if someone gets a bad trip? And show some credible sources if you claim there are such things

I've been in a mental health hospital with druggies and most of them were fucked up, but I'm assuming the drugs they take are not lsd or mushrooms

I do not know enough about drugs, but have yet to hear of a psychiatrist or psychologist supporting such a thing
>>
>>34208833

>i was just reading that they are supposed to return you to your 'previous self'.

that's not true though so u worrying about it is a waste of time and will ultimately make you even more depressed for not achieving your "previous self" when you shouldn't be trying to do that. from what i've heard (friends on them i never have been) it makes you more stabilized so that you can avoid those dark thoughts of self-hate and perpetual anhedonia. i was severely depressed at 18-20, and i made it a goal to remember explicitly the mindset i had during that period of time, and the mindset i had back then is entirely different than what i have now. I thought my depressed mindset was just ME, but it isn't, I just couldn't remember what it was like to not be depressed until I got out of it

>what i'm asking is what does a sense of self feel like?

IMO, it's when you reach a point where you are grounded in your beliefs, values, morals, interests. dumb example but, if you are really into sci-fi movies but the group you're hanging out all says they hate sci-fi movies, would you go along with it or would you openly admit that you enjoy them, not caring about how you liking sci-fi might make them perceive you? it doesn't mean you are unwavering on your beliefs it just means you are grounded in them, you validate your own self. This is hard to do when you are depressed because you have constant self-doubt
>>
>>34208833
I highly doubt you've been depressed since you were 12. I mean it's not entirely impossible but actual depression isn't "wah wah I'm so sad nobody likes me" actual depression is being sad despite the fact that you have every reason in the world to feel happy, feeling a huge disconnect from people and absolutely no desire to socalize--I don't mean being afraid to socialize because of anxiety, even going on this imageboard and posting would be difficult and seem pointless.

You aren't depressed if you have an actual reason to be sad, you probably have anxiety issues which prevent you from doing a lot of the things that fulfill basic human emotional needs.

I thought I was depressed in high school until I really became depressed and understood I was just a whiny anxious bitch.

>>34209023
You're straight up retarded, dude. SSRIs aren't emotional suppressants, they can make orgasms feel less intense but they don't in any sense stunt your ability to feel happy.
>>
>>34209358

Not advocating this in anyway, but MDMA aided in healing my depression. I was depressed for a while and after moving to a new city with zero friends there I became more depressed. I met with some high-school friends that summer and went to a festival with them where we took MDMA from 12PM til ~2AM for 3 days straight. For the 1-2weeks after coming back from that trip I was still feeling an afterglow of happiness and ever since then my mindset has changed drastically - way less self-doubt/negative thinking, more open mindedness, more confident to bee muhself (not hide my interests or opinions, but also not be 100% definitive on them). It's like it rebooted my serotonin levels or some shit. Even right now I've been slipping down to depression for multiple reasons but I still feel way more in control than I did when I was fully depressed.

It can go both ways though as some people get a "hangover" from it and feel depressed af after it instead of an afterglow. Plus you'd probably die from serotonin syndrome if you take it with SSRI's
>>
>>34209944
>>34209904
>>34209358
I read all this shit on the internet about how psychedelics can cure depression and anxiety and make you content with life. I actually fell for that shit. I realized I wasn't even depressed until I started experimenting with drugs. I think that people who claim their "depression" was cured by LSD or shrooms weren't actually depressed, they were just sad.
>>
>>34210048

lots of psychologists have or currently do support it, at least supporting it so far as to agree that it needs to be further looked into because it *could* be a good alternative treatment method. theres a lot of links on pubmed if you just search "LSD depression treatment" etc.

I agree with you that it can fuck you up worse but a lot of those druggies are just people who abused the fuck out of multiple drugs as escapism or some shit, not taking it with a mindset of overcoming depression. I know people who are taking SSRI's that do this... they aren't taking them while concurrently doing things to help overcome their depression, they're just taking them indefinitely, and it will fuck them up just like the druggies
>>
>>34210338
>not taking it with a mindset of overcoming depression

This is what I mean. In legit depression, due to a chemical imbalance, you don't have the ability to guide your emotions. At least, that's how it felt for me.

I had a bad acid trip because I was trying to stay calm and I was shrugging off all these negative thoughts until it hit me that trying not to feel bad made me an egotistical douche and suddenly anything I liked about myself made me feel like a huge narcissist at that point I felt like I deserved to feel bad which led from me going to a moderately sad person to a legitimately depressed person. This might not have had anything to do with the trip. It is possible the LSD inspired physical changes in my brain that resulted in depression, as people often say psychedelic drugs can exacerbate latent mental illness.

I firmly stand by my opinion that LSD is not for legitimate depression, it might help with anxiety, it might help with sadness and issues of low self confidence or other problems resulting from the ego but it does not help with physiological issues or chemical imbalance.

I will say that it did, however, help me understand that drugs were not going to help me and it would be in my best interest to never touch them again. And so I finally sought out professional help and despite some initial hardships it's working out quite well.
>>
File: 1484135843969.jpg (15KB, 523x287px) Image search: [Google]
1484135843969.jpg
15KB, 523x287px
>>34208833
antidepressents since age 12.

your doctor fucked u over bro
>>
File: bruce lee.jpg (57KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
bruce lee.jpg
57KB, 612x612px
Dont listen to these edgelords, whatever it is your thinking, stop it because once you make that choice there is no going back, you may believe that your life has no potential, but the power to change your life's circumstance is with in your own hands, its something we are ALL capable of. So please my friend, reconsider and give this crazy life your all, because at least by the end of it you can say proudly that you braved it all, despite all its hurdles. Love from a land across the ocean blue :)
>>
>>34210594
That actually sounds like the kind of insight that i would want to achieve. Truth is useful.
>>
>>34212439
But if you already know that's what you want, it sounds like you already have that insight.
>>
>>34208833
The medicine obviously isn't working if you're still having these thoughts. After almost 10 years of being depressed i've realized mediocrity is the norm and thinking of metaphysics and abstract concepts like self is just a waste of time.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.