[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is carry things at work that weigh around 120lbs considered heavy?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (72KB, 640x335px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72KB, 640x335px
is carry things at work that weigh around 120lbs considered heavy? i cant bench press much or anything though
>>
>>34152223
That is pretty heavy to just pick up off the ground and carry it around. I work with cement and a bag of cement weighs 94 pounds and that's pretty heavy and it gets annoying picking them up after a while
>>
>>34152248
cement would be harder to pickup, i just am around brake drums, clutches and fly wheels a lot even though i dobt ever put in clutches and flywheels and brake drums on mack truck weigh 120

is your job something that requires schooling before working there? making concrete foundations seems net but hard to do. i was around one the other daybthat had the forms on it. those trucks always have a weird musty smell from concrete lol
>>
>>34152223
Depends a lot on the shape of the object man. If you lift with your legs and it's not an awkwardly shaped object it shouldnt be too bad unless you're like 120lb yourself
>>
Just keep your back straight and lift with your legs. If you have to carry the object a long distance, try to get it onto your shoulder so it isn't banging against your legs as you walk.
>>
File: ZyvYv0C.jpg (42KB, 509x499px) Image search: [Google]
ZyvYv0C.jpg
42KB, 509x499px
>>34152248
>not using ready mix
>>
File: image.jpg (86KB, 656x672px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86KB, 656x672px
>>34152482
it isnt hard to carry i juat hear the ups guy say how tired he gets from carrying packages but everything is under 50 lbs so i didnt understand whats considered heavy was all
>>
>>34152223
That's very heavy. Many union jobs won't even allow their employees to carry half that much.

No shit, at least in my state they make 49lb bags of cement, so they don't breach certain union contracts for less than 50lbs max.
>>
What's your weight and height?

What >>34152432 said is incredibly valid.

Also, how often do you do this? Once a day? Constantly during your shift? How much assistance do you get?

>>34152581

He has to carry that shit around constantly, sometimes it's awkwardly shaped/too big for one person to reasonably carry,

Carrying one thing that's 120 is definitely harder than 50, but carrying 50 around most if not all the day will be more tiring than carrying 120 once or twice a day for short distances/period.
>>
>>34152653
im 6'3 and weigh 210

its throughout the day, like putting scrap metal on pallets and carrying batteries, one battery for big trucks is 60lbs, so yeah its not carrying stuff long distances just around a shop yard
>>
>>34152630
god i hate what ive heard about unions thats ridiculous
>>
>>34152581
>>34152718
Honestly 120lbs isn't too heavy if you are carrying it efficiently. Eventually you'll get stronger from carrying it around too. UPS is actually pretty backbreaking from what I hear, they have to move shit around all the time. Moving shit constantly tires out your lower back, even if you lift with good form.

>>34152630
The reason for this was probably to negotiate a better health insurance deal. There's also a lot of old geezers that probably slipped a disk lifting something heavy with their back, so that's why this rule is in place. OP seems like a healthy sturdy dude so he should be fine.
>>
>>34152405
What would make a bag of cement harder to pick up than a big brake drum?

I do hardscaping. The place I work at didn't require any experience or schooling. It helps if you can understand Spanish, as you'd most likely be working with immigrants from Mexico and Central America.
>>
>>34152532
>tfw sometimes mix up to 8 bags of cement my hand

I don't know why my boss doesn't rent us a cement mixer to use on days like that. My back and shoulders kill me
>>
>>34152432

I'm 110lb and I carry about 150lb of water every other day or so. That's about my maximum though. I don't think I could pick up even 160 for very long.
>>
>>34152984
i just thought that maybe since brake drums are basically tubes where you can get a grip on both sides but i guess thats nonsense not that i think about it
>>
>>34152223
You are probably using your biceps at work. Bench pressing is all triceps
>>
>>34153082
Ah i gotcha. Yeah I suppose it is easier because a bag of cement has no handles or anything to grip on to you just kinda reach underneath it and try to keep it from falling as you power clean it on to your shoulder OR if it's standing upright (usually because it's been opened) you can squat down and give it a bear hug and waddle with it to where you need to go
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.