[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>in uni lecture >people always comment on how my computer

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 23

File: 1vqvWmv.png (45KB, 602x500px) Image search: [Google]
1vqvWmv.png
45KB, 602x500px
>in uni lecture
>people always comment on how my computer "looks different"
>explain that it's running linux
>stacey asks why
>because it's better
>explain open source
>stacy's already on her fucking phone
>whatever, fucking plebs
>my turn to do a presentation
>go to front of class
>connect laptop to projector
>doesn't work
>"it's ok i just need to install the driver"
>ask prof what model the projector is
>he just shrugs and gives this "are you fucking serious look"
>class begins to snicker
>fucking inferior closed source tech not working with my glorious open source laptop
>prof just tells me to sit down and let chad present instead
>chad walks up with his shitty macbook
>plugs it in, works instantly
>"huh huh woulda thought LINAX BRANIAX over here woulda been able to make it work since he knows so much about computers apparently"
>class just starts laughing
>even the prof is snickering
>fucking normies
>prof tells me to put my presentation on a usb stick and use fucking stupid chad's fucking stupid plebbook
>need to pass this course
>open presentation
>text is all garbled the fuck up
>can't even read it
>class erupts in laughter
>run out of room crying
>realize i forgot my laptop
>wait until end of class and then an extra 30 minutes to make sure absolutely everyone is gone
>boot up laptop
>hard drive corrupt

fucking normies
>>
>>34049281
LINUXFAGS ABSOLUTELY BLOWN THE FUCK OUT

>MUH OPEN SOURCE

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
why do people even use linux

like every time i see it there's some fat neckbeard lecturing about how good it is but it always takes them 10x longer to do everything because they have to fucking reprogram the space shuttle just to open a web page or some shit
>>
>>34049323

he said unironically on the internet
>>
>>34049281
use pdf, m8, it works everywhere
>>
>>34049323
Go to /g/ and ask. It's mostly because you get to keep your soul from BIll Gates and avoid the botnet.
>>
File: brain.png (279KB, 898x790px) Image search: [Google]
brain.png
279KB, 898x790px
>linux braniax
>>
>>34049323
when you work in the industry its a necessity
>>
File: 1483590349836.png (34KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1483590349836.png
34KB, 633x758px
DELETE THIS OP

FUCK
>>
>>34049412

>the industry

if only i could get a job in some cave in the basement of a server room somewhere, forgotten by the rest of society
>>
im still convinced that linux doesn't really exist and it's just a codeword that nerds use to identify each other at parties so they can avoid talking to girls
>>
File: arch.png (265KB, 1660x1940px) Image search: [Google]
arch.png
265KB, 1660x1940px
>>34049323
They have too much freetime.
>>
>>34049323
They're probably faggots who just started using Linux (which is really the only reason you'd talk about it in public). Once you get the hang of Linux, it "just werks".
>>
>>34049281
Debian GNU/Linux does not have this problem
>>
>>34049323
It's nicer than windows unless you want to play games.
I use OSX since it's unix and slicky and easy to use, but there's plenty of noob friendly distros.
>>
File: 2n5hEa7.png (227KB, 1079x1194px) Image search: [Google]
2n5hEa7.png
227KB, 1079x1194px
>linuxfags will defend this
>>
>>34049534
Gentoo is this x10

And Slackware is for old people who want to pretend like it's still 1993
>>
>>34049593
>professor just assumed everybody had a copy of a software package that costs hundreds of dollars
>>
>>34049412
Just because there are 1000 shitty email and web servers running shitux does not mean it's "the industry".
>>
>>34049534
that comic was made by a butthurt ubuntu user because arch linux lacks an installation. I can solve a problem in Arch linux in seconds because I know what I am doing.
>>
>>34049637

>implying big companies like adobe dont give their software to students for free

that way it's all they know when they graduate and then companies have to cough up the dough for licenses

it's called "the crack dealer" tactic and almost every industry software developer does it
>>
>>34049323
I've been using linux in some form or another as my primary operating system for the better part of the last 8 years.

The thing with linux is that there isn't THE Linux, there are a lot of different operating systems that all have in common the fact that they use Linux as their kernel for example Android uses Linux.

There are Linux based operating systems like Ubuntu that do their best to provide the users with all the drivers and features that an average user will need. On the other end of the spectrum there are operating systems like Arch witch give you the bare bones minimum you need to get started and you have to install most of the drivers and configure all of the features yourself. That's why you will often see people on Linux "reprogram the space shuttle" to accomplish some seemingly simple task, it's because they never performed that task before and they have to manually configure the tools necessary to do it.
>>
>>34049323
because you basically have 3 options, only one of which is free and anyone can use
windows
mac
unixlike system, windows and mac are both built off of a unixlike system. windows managed to get lucky and earn a monopoly making it the standard for most businesses but unix like systems are going to over take it since people that actually want to learn how to use their computer in a more complex fashion are always going to gravitate away from proprietary software because you can't modify and share proprietary stuff to fit your needs like you can with free open software. Just getting my toes wet with some gnu type stuff and one version is functionally the same as windows except instead of a bunch of useless bloatware im never going to use it has useful tool applications related to software.
like really if you sit down at a windows computer besides the calculator, web browser, mine sweeper, solitaire, what would you do without using the browser?
>>
>>34049693
A good operating system doesn't need to be installed more than once

Checkmate, autist
>>
>>34049693

>I can solve a problem in Arch linux in seconds because I have already wasted my life learning the unmarketable skill of solving endless problems in a misery-simulator
>>
lol what the hell is a lunux?
>>
>>34049715
Unix is never going to become the standard, because Windows has the programs that people actually use.
>>
>>34049715

i swtched to ubuntu because i was tired of windows fucking updating whenever it decides it wants to and fucking insane amount of bloatware/connections to authentication server and shit it kept shovelling into my mouth
>>
File: Screenshot_20170110_164829.png (115KB, 1320x736px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170110_164829.png
115KB, 1320x736px
>>34049593
GIMP sucks compared to photoshop. The fact that in 2017 I still can't rotate text without rasterazing it boggles my mind.

That being said, I can draw a circle.
>>
>>34049697

this and also no company wants to hire anyone who knows any other software because hiring managers are clowns who hire people based on tickboxes
>>
>>34049323
not true really. a well setup linux machine is pretty great if you're a programmer
>>
>>34049722
>>34049742

well fuck you guys at least I had fun using arch.
>>
>>34049281
>Shitty broken OS
>Have to learn the terminal just to keep the bitch from crashing constantly
>Programs barely work on the piece of shit
>Open source, more like Open Ass
>Can't even play games
Literally the only reason to have Linus is just to be a Big Bang Theory Meme Lord with those cool custom Themes. But even those themes are often Unstable
>>
File: IMG_0605.jpg (38KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0605.jpg
38KB, 600x600px
>>34049886
How does it feel to have wasted your life on a worthless hobby?
>>
>>34049644
every single server that my company uses runs linux
probably millions of servers around the world most likely use linux
>>
>>34049767
I didn't say unix, i said unix like. and it already is the standard for most people they just don't know it because they use smaller less powerful devices with it. It's firmware versions derived from unix they're familiar with and they follow the same pattern as the firmware tech giants mostly

the thing with firmware like windows and macs is they don't point you toward using more freeware or learning how to do anything it aims you toward other businesses they co-operate with to buy more software even if you just want to learn or make stuff with it.
you can "pirate" it but why the fuck should you when there is already free ware with a much more helpful and better culture than most firmware users.
Seriously when I think about my time using firmware technology I was a fucking blight on the internet and didn't know jack shit about computers or making them work. Tinkering with it is much more fun.
>>
Linux is proof that communism doesn't work
>>
>>34049912
feels good minimalist can be the most happy people in the world compare to rich people who need more and more to be happy.
>>
>>34049911
You must be at least 18 years of age to post on 4chan.
>>
>>34049323
Because Windows 10 sends all your information to Microsoft.
>>
File: 1483902895017.jpg (122KB, 1200x675px)
1483902895017.jpg
122KB, 1200x675px
>>34049534
That image is fucking gold i can imagine that bringing in an easy 250+ replies on /g/
>>
>>34049819
That's a nice circle, Anon.
>>
>>34049323
>why do people even use linux

its a meme
>>
>>34049794
The only thing that bothers me about bloatware is it piles up and becomes indifferent looking from vital updates. It's pushing more power and better hardware since there is more money behind the development but it just becomes crap to deal with and the answer is just buy better hardware to run that one software application.
>>
File: 1451150833024.jpg (10KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1451150833024.jpg
10KB, 250x250px
>>34049950
Take the number above, and Evaluate how many fucks I give
>>
>>34050000
Those are some nice circles, anon ;)
>>
>>34049644

Where I work we use both Windows (on user end) and Linux (for pretty much everything else), everytime Linux does something funny I just have to make a call and we have an army of pajeets jumping on the issue.

I would install Linux at home only if I had a personnal pajeet to fix it daily.
I had a go at Ubuntu, used it for a few years on dual-boot but had enough of fixing things after updates whereas Windows spoonfed me and let me play games.

> Dem CS guys should made Linux dumb so dumb guys like me can use it too
>>
File: fgm.jpg (20KB, 329x357px) Image search: [Google]
fgm.jpg
20KB, 329x357px
>>34050006

the final straw for me was when the windows updates started to glitch out and get stuck in neverending update loops that would kick the CPU up 10 100% and make the laptop turn into a fucking oven until it just shit itself and bluescreened.

i bought a laptop that has been documented to have some overheating problems (my own dumbass fault for not looking into it enough) so i don't need microsoft to toast my fucking laptop for a half hour every day

switched to ubuntu and never had that problem again. feels good man
>>
File: IMG_0538.png (59KB, 500x402px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0538.png
59KB, 500x402px
>used to use Linux
>got a hobby, a job, and a social life
>stopped using Linux
>>
What a good distro for a beginner?i want to get into customization and thening mainly
>>
>>34050169

xubuntu
>>
>>34050169
>changing your entire operating system so that you can make epic screenshots
You have too much time on your hands
>>
>>34050169
Like >>34050179 suggested, XFCE4 is very configurable.
>>
>>34049323
There are a few reasons.

1. Having an actual Unix command line is great. PowerShell can go suck a dick.
2. It's free, you can read the source code and it generally doesn't spy on you or show you ads. I mean, Ubuntu does, but only retards use it these days.
3. It's great for programming, unless you happen to like Visual Studio.
4. You can set your desktop up in ways that are next to impossible with Windows or macOS.
5. It actually works quite well if you're willing to spend a few days setting your system up. The fat neckbeards you saw apparently didn't bother.

That said, I'll take Windows over Linux any day, and macOS trumps both if you have the hardware for it.
>>
>>34050189
What do you mean man.I got into ricing on Android and i love it.I want to do tge same on a desktop

>>34050179
Whats the difference between xubuntu and ubuntu?
>>
>>34050095
I just been using a light gnu/linux program that's close to windows so far figure I would ease into it.
Personally so far the only windows I liked was XP mostly for the command prompt. Vista I'm not liking due to bloat, 8 is just hideous.
Still haven't played around enough with my version of gnu/linux yet but it's pretty of nice that I can get a command line interface if I want or not or just find a different version. I would switch over entirely if I got more familiar and competent with it in general but can't at the moment due to business and not wanting to move away from windows which mostly works (even though it's a known issue it basically doesn't work and is a huge widespread issue for thousands of us) for my business I have to do.
>>
File: kramer.gif (29KB, 217x200px) Image search: [Google]
kramer.gif
29KB, 217x200px
>>34050226

>2. It's free, you can read the source code and it generally doesn't spy on you or show you ads. I mean, Ubuntu does, but only retards use it these days.

>Ubuntu does

wat

explain
>>
>>34050226
>macOS trumps both if you have the hardware for it.
>>
Am i going to have to learn memenux to get a CS/CE degree? I will just drop out if I do
>>
>>34050290

if you are any good at CS/CE then you will end up using it

if you dont then you are not good at CS/CE
>>
>>34050272
It sends all keystrokes you type into the global search thing to Canonical, Amazon and whoever else they partnered with so they can show you ads.
Well, it used to anyway. Not sure if it's disabled by default now, but it was an opt-out thing for at least, like, two years.
>>
>>34050272
It doesn't. What happened was that Unity, by default, sent your searches to Amazon. But that was always an options. On top of that, they disabled it by default in 15.10(?).

I'm going off of memory for all this, though.
>>
>>34049918
>my it guy decided to make a linux environment therefore the world is linux

Don't get me wrong it has a solid position in technology in the world but hardly "linux is the industry".

Not a single one of you fags program bespoke mainframe computers operating the back end of a massive data processing company nor would you even recognise it was what you see as "Linux".
>>
>>34050333
>>34050335

where can you check if this is enabled?
>>
>>34050370
https://askubuntu.com/questions/192269/how-can-i-remove-amazon-search-results-from-the-dash-or-disable-the-feature
>>
>>34049281
>connect laptop to projector
>doesn't work

FUCKING

L O S T.

10/10 OP.

Im in CS and use linux but even I duel boot for shit like this.
>>
>>34050411
man xrandr
>>
>All these newfags not recognizing this copy pasta.
>>
>>34050441
I knew it looked too not shitty for it to be completely original.
>>
>>34050403

thx bud got that fucking big brother shit off of my lappy
>>
>>34050441

fuck you faglord i sat down and wrote this tonight

i took some inspiration from shit i read before but this is original quality content

eat me
>>
IscKubuntu good starting OS?I hear KDE is the best desktop environment
>>
>>34050509
This is almost verbatim right down to the chad making the "computer linux nerd" joke and macbook. The only part you left out was gim typing in the command line.
>>
>>34050583

then post the original cuz i aint never seen it
>>
>>34050538
It's totally based on what you want. If you want flashy shit, there's Gnome 3.x, KDE, Pantheon, etc.
>>
>>34050538
just download a bunch of different os and use the one you like best
the only scary thing about open source software is if you can't read it and can only use it you don't know what it is really doing and have to trust the author didnt have any ulterior motives
>>
File: 1455052721223.png (200KB, 1051x1281px) Image search: [Google]
1455052721223.png
200KB, 1051x1281px
>>34050593
It really is almost the exact same.
>>
>>34050509
good job anon, you rewrote something someone else already said. Are you proud of yourself?
>>
>>34050637

ill admit that is pretty similar

maybe i read it a while back and just forgot about it.

i actually wrote this basing it off of >>34049593

which i do remember reading a while ago but i thought it was longer
>>
File: 12311.jpg (131KB, 1024x732px) Image search: [Google]
12311.jpg
131KB, 1024x732px
>>34049819
>he actually defended LieNuts
>>
Woah, wait right there, OP. I have to interject for a moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
>>34050669

yeah but not for my dumb shitposts on 4chan. this is just a way to blow off some steam. it gets tiring being a recovering neet-turned-normie. sometimes you just want to kick back and sperg out into the wee hours of the morning on /r9k/ like the good ol days
>>
>>34050698
No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.
Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.
One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?
(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.
>>
>>34050698
Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.
You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.
Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?
>>
This one is funnier
>>
>>34050000

My circle is nowhere near as nice as your four consecutive circles.
>>
File: 1464486886287.jpg (7KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
1464486886287.jpg
7KB, 300x168px
>>34049281
DELET

origami
>>
>>34050369
>Not a single one of you fags program bespoke mainframe computers operating the back end of a massive data processing company
Do you?
>>
>>34049281
They played you unless this is a huge fabrication which it probably is

>tfw most people who are getting jobs in IT and stuff these days are jocks and whatnot
>>
>>34051181
The days of nerds being reclusive and stuff are over nowadays everyone has leet h4xor skillz
>>
Why don't loonix fags just dualboot?
>>
only reason i use linux is because it is free and i don't want to pirate anything

if I had money i'd use something else
>>
File: tumblr_nshv2vqMHy1ubm73lo1_500.png (49KB, 451x485px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nshv2vqMHy1ubm73lo1_500.png
49KB, 451x485px
>tfw want to be a cool hacker or programmer and do cool stuff and wear leather like in the movies

>too dumb to understand any of this shit

>most I can do is open a command prompt and type in shutdown /p or something
>>
Who would have said that most robots were gentoomen?
Timesink OS indeed
>>
File: 1474916866108.gif (607KB, 800x792px) Image search: [Google]
1474916866108.gif
607KB, 800x792px
>>34051822
>ywn be a cool badass hacker doing cool programming stuff and listening to techno like in The Matrix

Why did I have to be so dumb, robots ;-;
>>
>>34051822
Are you on Windows? THat's your problem. Commands are worse than shit.
>>
File: 1477491274495.jpg (13KB, 414x415px) Image search: [Google]
1477491274495.jpg
13KB, 414x415px
>>34052111
I've tried Ubuntu but I don't get it I'm too dumb ;-;
>>
>>34049281
>only person in my IT course that uses Linux is a total cunt that everyone hates

It attracts a certain kind of autism, doesn't it
>>
>>34052299
Look for some video tutorials. I'm pretty clueless but getting better; for instance, what I know so far is putting "sudo" before a command is like running it with max privileges.
You can also install Steam with "sudo apt-get steam" (without the quotation marks)
>>
>>34049281
>using shitty incompatible laptop
>not working

BLASPHEMY

But seriously you have to be autistic to ask your prof what model the projector is. Why the fuck would they know that?

Too bad this is fake and gay.
>>
File: 1483588709699.jpg (133KB, 776x678px) Image search: [Google]
1483588709699.jpg
133KB, 776x678px
>>34050226
>Powershell can go suck a dick.
Excuse me?
Powershell IDE is god tier. Pls go end it anon.
>>
>>34049323
I use it because I hate Windows which is ironic because I mainly play on Xbox. If I had the money for a Mac I'd get one of those instead.

At least on Linux it's usually the user's fault when something fucks up, but Windows does whatever the hell it wants.
>>
>>34053093
Found the person who hasn't used Windows since Vista.
>>
>>34049323
Because it's better than Windows.
>>
File: 361.jpg (37KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
361.jpg
37KB, 680x383px
>>34050226
>Ubuntu does, but only retards use it these days.
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.