[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

JUNKER BATTLESHIPS (Skirmish)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 17

File: main sheet.png (184KB, 500x1200px) Image search: [Google]
main sheet.png
184KB, 500x1200px
Hey, you there! Do you want to be a captain of a battleship made of junk? Do you want to fight onboard said battleship against other captains' battleships? THEN DO I HAVE THE SKIRMISH FOR YOU! Simply look at the picture here, then make your own battleship with the template in the next post!
>>
File: boat template.png (8KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
boat template.png
8KB, 250x250px
>>561094
For starters, pick five other parts other than the bridge, and arrange them on this sheet over here.
Once we've had at least two battleships, we'll start the game!

NOW GET TO MAKING YOUR SHIPS, JUNKERS!
>>
So bridge and radar seem to grant vision? How does it work?

Can I have multiple bridges for extra actions? How about engines?
>>
>>561580
Yes, they grant vision, counted from their hexes.
And if one bridge goes down, you are still considered defeated. So best limit it to one.
>>
>>561629
But can I do it?

Also, I'm guessing firing costs actions and you need shipless players for that reason.
>>
File: sheeps.png (30KB, 605x329px) Image search: [Google]
sheeps.png
30KB, 605x329px
Assuming 2 bridges for extra actions is permitted, the left one. Otherwise, the right.

Both interpret "Ship movement is centered on the bridge" as bridges being the pivot for any change in direction.
>>
>>561916
Hm. On further thought, the left's four actions would be way hard to compete with. Can't keep it down in a slugging match if damage works as I assume, and if actions let you move further, it's strong in that regard too. Might have trouble with some targets being plain inaccessible, though.
>>
>>561916
>Both interpret "Ship movement is centered on the bridge" as bridges being the pivot for any change in direction.
Yes, this is correct.
Now we just wait for another ship!
>>
>>563665
Righto.

Hm, what do the boxed numbers represent? Do you roll dx vs target's remaining AP, or what?
>>
>>563831
Ah yeah, I forgot to clarify on those.
Basically, we use a roll-under d10 system.
For example, if you're about to shoot an enemy ship with a cannon, for example, there's a [6] x 1 on the cannon's stats, right? The [6] is the target number you want to roll under to hit the enemy ship, while the x 1 means you roll one dice per attack. Compare it with the triple-a which has [5] x 2, you need to roll under [5] (which is a bit harder than the cannon) but you roll two dice for the same amount of action spent, compared to the cannon.
>>
>>563888
That would seem to make 4-action healboats even stronger, honestly, unless there are other factors at play.
>>
>>563977
Well, for one, fixer cranes don't need a roll, and that's why I'm limiting to only 1 bridge for now.
Maybe for future expansions I could add auxiliary bridges for more action points, but they'll need big ships and stuff. Oh, and also pricing mechanisms - in the future you'll need to shell out junk to purchase parts, and gain them by wrecking enemy ships. Fixer cranes could double your salvage, etc.
>>
>>564021
K then.

If I'm feeling helpful, can I use a fixer on another ship if it's close enough? What's the action cost of rotating? 1 free with every move?
>>
>>564088
Yes, you could fix another ship's part, if said part is adjacent to your crane-hex.
Rotating by 1 degree is free (say, from N to NE or NW) but more than that costs 1 move (like, say, from N to SE, or N to S).
>>
File: aircraft carrier.png (14KB, 250x300px) Image search: [Google]
aircraft carrier.png
14KB, 250x300px
Moving aircraft doesn't take one of the ship's actions, right? Does launching them take an action?
>>
>>564528
For ship captains, controlling (which meant moving and bombing once) them takes an action.
Which is the same for non-captain plane players really.
And that is a really nice ship.

Since there's now two ships, give me some time to draw up the seas, and we'll start our skirmish!
>>
File: plat.png (11KB, 224x263px) Image search: [Google]
plat.png
11KB, 224x263px
Meanwhile, deep in the Gulf of Mexico, an oil platform breaks loose to satisfy an new hunger...
>>
Hang on, now I think about it how do you kill a ship with an armour plate and a repair crane? If you can only attack twice a turn and there's a miss chance while it can heal automatically up to twice a turn, it's invulnerable in solo combat. Or am I misunderstanding how guns work?
>>
>>564601
If there are currents pushing toward a hazard or something, I'll have to burn actions on movement, I guess. Or get a bunch of anons to man your planes. Or get a third player in here, I guess. I'm wondering too, honestly.
>>
>>564601
Remember that DAMAGED parts can't fix or do things. So land both hits on that crane and it can't fix anything.
>>
>>564615
But it's protected with armor, unless there's a limitation I'm not aware of.
>>
>>564601
attempting to do so would cause infinite stalemate. they can't win, but nether can you.
>>
>>564624
I have faith there's something objective- or map-based that will drive the action beyond that point. Not to mention it'll go down if enough anons jump on.

That's kinda cool actually. A bit like casting votes.
>>
File: start.png (66KB, 650x900px) Image search: [Google]
start.png
66KB, 650x900px
>>564620
Hmm, you're right. Welp, time to nerf the armored hull then. Instead of 5 AP, they now have 3 AP.

Also can Oil Derrick Captain and Carrier Captain roll a d100? Lowest number gets to move first.
>>
Rolled 9 (1d100)

>>564651
There are a lot of ways you can go about toning it back, I think. 1 soak per turn, must be placed on the exterior, can't be repaired, must be repaired with 2 actions, etc.
>>
>>564663
Maybe still have 5 AP but repair takes 2 actions for 1 AP? Hmm, I think that'd be good.
>>
>>564674
You wanna make that both actions in one turn, or allow spreading the repair between turns?
>>
Rolled 99 (1d100)

>>564651
OK, carrier roll
>>
>>564683
Okay, I think it's like this:

Armor Hull: can only be repaired at half the AP per repair action done to this part. So if you use 1 action to repair it, you only repair 0.5 AP.

>>564684
>>564663
Well it's decided then. DERRICK CAPTAIN! You may start your turn!
>>
>>564692
Nines for days on initiative. I'll head due north 4 tiles.

>Disparage The Platform's vigilance at your own peril.
>>
File: Oil Turn 1.png (77KB, 650x900px)
Oil Turn 1.png
77KB, 650x900px
>>564698
Ah yeah, I forgot to say, you can double your movement by spending an action point. Movements themselves do not take action points.
So I'm assuming you took 1 action point to boost your movement right now.

And oh, you can specify which direction you're facing at the end of movement. Remember, more than one degree of rotation means it takes 1 move point!

CARRIER CAPTAIN! You may start your turn!
>>
>>564710
Would all actions to movement quadruple speed? If I move 1 hex and then turn, do I still have movement left over or do I have to spend actions to move again, since turning interrupted my movement?
>>
Four tiles due south, rotate to SW.
Launch rearmost plane! Fly it five tiles SW (diagonal).
>>
Realizing now ships must be a bitch to rotate. Guess we should submit them in every facing next time?
>>
File: Carrier Turn 1.png (95KB, 650x900px) Image search: [Google]
Carrier Turn 1.png
95KB, 650x900px
>>564723
All actions would just result in 6 hexes of movement, since it's counted against base (non-boosted) movement.
And on your second question, you can still move afterwards. Remember, moving costs no action!

DERRICK CAPTAIN! Your turn!
>>
>>564775
Rotate right, all actions to advance 5. Guns up!

>The Platform remembers the years of being whitewashed by birds.
>>
File: cruiser_junker.png (5KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
cruiser_junker.png
5KB, 250x250px
I have a build for you.
>>
File: Boxer.png (6KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Boxer.png
6KB, 250x250px
I too have a build for free use.

Just interested in making boats, less so in getting them wrecked.
>>
File: Oracle.png (6KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Oracle.png
6KB, 250x250px
>>564903

This would only be viable if a Radar Tower also improves range on weapons, or vision range is a limitation for unmanned planes.
>>
File: Drill.png (5KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Drill.png
5KB, 250x250px
>>564914

This was a collaboration piece. Please enjoy.
>>
File: Interceptor.png (5KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Interceptor.png
5KB, 250x250px
>>564921

For all your plane-hunting needs.
>>
>>564785
Isn't moving free?
>>
>>564932

your base move allowance is, if you want to move further you have to burn actions. He has move 2, so he's burning 2 acts to move 5 instead
>>
>>564933
Did I miss the part where this was explained?
>>
>>564934

Probably. See below

>>564710
>>564775
>>
>>564935
Thanks
>>
File: Oil Turn 2.png (114KB, 650x900px) Image search: [Google]
Oil Turn 2.png
114KB, 650x900px
>>564773
Nah, I have photoshop, it's fine.
Also sorry for the wait, work hour's over now.

CARRIER CAPTAIN! Your turn's up! If you're still here...
>>
>>564968
I think my ID might have just changed, as I had to reset my modem.

Rotate to face south, move four hexes south. Move launched plane to S of the enemy bridge and attack.
>>
>>565014
Well, you could take a temporary name, you know.
Also, to make matters clearer, next time I'm running this I'm going to make people name their ships. HMS Yo Momma or something, so we could keep track of them - especially if there's more than two ships per side.

Also, if you want to attack, roll a d10! It's
dice+1d10
in the options field, right below the name field. So roll now, because I'll need it to determine if Oil Derrick's bridge gets hit or not.
>>
Rolled 4 (1d10)

>>565023
Oops, I must have formatted it wrong before.
>>
>>564968
Second plane starts off too
>>
>>565034
Where to? And if you want to attack, roll 1d10!
>>
File: Carrier Turn 2.png (101KB, 650x900px) Image search: [Google]
Carrier Turn 2.png
101KB, 650x900px
Okay, until we wait for >>565034's movement and possible attack roll, this is how the turn will end up looking.
>>
>>565046
Someone'd better take over the carrier for the following turns since I should sleep now.
>>
>>565043
>>565046
oh sorry, went away. I had assumed that there's a turn of going straight for taking off. Well considering >>565046 down and to the left.
>>
Rolled 3, 6 = 9 (2d10)

>>564968
Oh, I thought my triple-a would be just out of range, so I didn't attack. Rolling retroactively if you allow it. Ignore otherwise.
>>
File: Carrier Turn 2b.png (105KB, 650x900px) Image search: [Google]
Carrier Turn 2b.png
105KB, 650x900px
>>565071
Well, the movement wasn't that precise but here it is.

DERRICK CAPTAIN! Your turn! Whenever you're ready...
>>
Rolled 4, 5, 1 = 10 (3d6)

>>565089
Rotate anticlockwise, fire all guns at pesky plane. First for cannon.

>... remembers, and thinks "never again."
>>
Rolled 8, 7, 3 = 18 (3d10)

>>565128
Oops.
>>
>>561094
How do we play as a pilot?
>>
>>566269
I think you just hop in on the owner's turn and declare you're doing something with one of the planes.
>>
Okay, turn processing will resume in a couple of hours. Sorry about that, sleep and timezones and all.

>>566354
Yes, this is correct.
And if you want precise movement, you could format your moves like so:
1 N, 2 NE, 1 SE -> move 1 hex north, then 2 hexes north-east, then 1 hex south-east.
>>
File: Oil Turn 3.png (85KB, 650x900px) Image search: [Google]
Oil Turn 3.png
85KB, 650x900px
>>565129
And only one of the AAA rounds hit the plane! The plane limps on, but one solid hit will kill it!

CARRIER CAPTAIN! Your turn please! Whenever you're ready...
>>
>>568338
So it's not just two rolls to hit, but to damage. Hope it comes through for me.
>>
>>569123
Well out of the three die you rolled correctly:
>First, cannon: 8, target: below [6], miss
>Second, AAA round 1: 7, target: below [5], miss
>Third, AAA round 2: 3, target: below [5], hit

So yeah, that's how it's rolled.
>>
>>569220
And do planes have a turning radius?
>>
>>569401
Nah, unlike ships, they're nimble enough to do 180-turns in the air.
>>
>>569463
Sheeeeit, I was hoping to maneuver for some room to repair. Also that damage should be on the armor.
>>
>>569500
Aw yeah, I forgot. Will fix it next turn.
>>
I'm off to bed. If my turn rolls around, anyone is free to have my turn and be The Platform.
>>
>>568338
A reminder to Carrier Captain that it's their turn.
If within 12 hours they didn't respond, anyone might take their place.
>>
>>568338
>Move 6 hexes south
>Both planes attack enemy armor
>>
>>573899
That's 4 actions right there. 2 for the extra 4 hexes on the ship, and 2 for the planes' attacks. Base movement is free, at least
>>
>>573899
>>573925 is correct. Also, if you want to attack, roll d10s.
>>
Rolled 9, 6 = 15 (2d10)

>>573935
Ok, make that
>move 2 hexes south
>both planes attack enemy armor
>>
How do you want to move your planes? It seems they can do fly-by attacks.
>>
>>574026
If they can then they should. Lingering around AA is never good.
>>
>>574032
Describe your movement, then. I'm sure he'd appreciate it.
>>
>>574039
Why should I work even in my entertainment grumble grumble

>>573977
Planes movement:
>Northern one NW, bomb, 4SE
>Southern one 2NW, 2N, bomb, S
>>
Can ships move backward? Can a gun fire twice in a turn?
>>
>>575226
Yes, and yes if you have the action points for it.
Also, a minor hiatus for 10 hours starting now, work's about to pile up. There's also the possibility that Saturday morning through noon I won't be available, so if this thread goes dead by then I'll make a new one with updated rulesheet.

And also while we're at it: what parts would you like to see in upcoming expansions?
>>
>>576914
I'm hesitant to call armor a must-have, but it's dang strong in its current state. Like, even if it were considered nonfunctional at half AP like all the other parts, it would still be ~3 turns of invulnerability among 2-action, 6-part ships More if lucky, fewer if more anons jumped in, which they admittedly haven't yet. There might be certain ship designs that are effective enough to exclude it with strategy and the quirks of movement.

With enough of a "community", armor or gun could be an interesting strategic choice to make. Do you want to be strong in times of low traffic or high? As I said earlier, anon donating actions as a way of voting appeals to me.

New parts I'll have to think about.
>>
>>577637
Yeah, I'm considering to nerf the armor somewhat by lowering its AP to 3 like other parts. Although if there's another alternative, I have an ear open.
>>
>>577693
A limitation on how it can be placed might help. Only adjacent to 3 tiles, for example.

Or an armor penalty. -1 on attack rolls, -1 vision range if bridge is armored, so on.
>>
>>577806
Oh, or a ramming hull that deals damage upon pivoting into the enemy based on distance from the bridge. Longer ship for better damage chances.
>>
>>578035
Interesting. What do you think of these rules for ramming?

>When a ship rams into another ship, the hexes in contact during ramming becomes DAMAGED, both on their ship and yours
>Except Armored Hull, which just loses 2 AP
>Ramming Hull, however, just suffers 1 AP damage when ramming, and its ramming damage gets +1 when there is a line made from it, the bridge, and/or armored hulls (so, say, bridge, armor, ram or bridge, ram, ram in one direction)
>>
>>578159
In the context of 1v1, those rules seem like a step toward normalizing armor; they still affect unarmored boats unfavorably. Buuuuuut... it does give a bit more meaning to armor tile placement. In the center, it can protect every part from weapons, but not from ramming. Armored exterior comes out better from ramming, but is more vulnerable to attack as it charges in... that might actually be what we need here.
>>
>>578323
Hm, but how would guns match up against an all-armor/ram boat under these rules?
>>
>>578360
ah, hmm, you're right. Currently they're too prone to missing, and does piddly damage anyways - at least when compared to parts' AP.

If I bump up the cannon's accuracy from [5] to [7], and the howitzer's damage from 1 to 2... I do plan on adding other weapons like rockets and missiles. Maybe planes split into fighters (does piddly damage to ship parts, rapid fire against other planes), and bombers (a bit slower, but packs more punch to ships). Maybe a railgun with big damage and accuracy but 1 magazine capacity, and reloading takes an extra action?
>>
>>578506
I'm more inclined toward armor penalties of some sort than weapon buffs, though those may be needed too. Even a -1 to engine if adjacent forces the ship to devote a tile for another engine, or build so the engine's still vulnerable. There's a lot of balancing that geometry can accomplish.
>>
Also, weapons that can bombard hexes and make them dangerous to pass through for a whole round. Howitzer could use an ability like that, because there's currently no way to force the enemy to stay at range.

Barrel bombers? I know they were meant for dams, but bombers that attack at range and have to reload at ship could be cool.
>>
>>579854
Hmm, maybe as an upgrade choice/shell option for Howitzers.
Oh, that also reminds me of minelayers. Minelayers, depth charges, and submarines.
>>
>>583705
Maybe add a part which aids in rotation as it will give a lot more strategic options, such as ships with guns and engines at the rear.
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.