[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Darkest Quest, t2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

Ruin has come to our family. You remember our venerable house, opulent and imperial. It is a festering abomination!
I beg you, return home, claim your birthright and deliver our family from the clutching darkness of these transcendent horrors!

Embark on this Darkest Quest.

[Welcome again to the Darkest Quest. This is baby's first quest so I will take it slow. See what I do right, what I do wrong. Critique is highly encouraged.]

Continuing from previous thread:
>>446791

Sheets:
Player: http://pastebin.com/DjfJmmxx
Retainers: http://pastebin.com/iL7AJzym
>>
File: is good.png (88KB, 557x605px) Image search: [Google]
is good.png
88KB, 557x605px
[Posting update btw, just gotta finish dinner. It is good]
>>
File: bar keeper.png (177KB, 514x480px) Image search: [Google]
bar keeper.png
177KB, 514x480px
Looking over you see many different provisions necessary to the success of a healthy expedition. Rope you have, same for bandages. You still grab one of everything else. Especially medical. "Put all this on interest and see it delivered to my room on a pack, Trussas." He cackles and writes up a tab, placing the paper on a rusty iron hook. "As is your wish."

You head out and back to the inn. The walk takes less than a few minutes. The townsfolk are already up and about their business, but people look demure. Lethargic. You presume the tragedies of these past days must have taken its toll.

Inside you are a greeted by the smell of cheap booze and incense. Your natural habitat. On the only occupied table you see the trio of travelers who just arrived this morning. A plague doctor, her disfigured knight bodyguard and her peculiar assistant, Claude. They look to be in the middle of breaking fast.

You could hire these people to do the expedition for you. That thought had crossed your mind before. Alternatively you could hire them in a more permanent fashion, seeing as they are here for the very same reason many dare-doers end up here; to brave the lands. You have no need to decide it soon, you could merely broach the subject on a later date. Of course, the expedition should be a simple retrieval mission. One key, heavy and rusted. Ancient. Invaluable. Dismas has proven himself competent. Masterful, even. And loyal. But you know nothing of these three.

Any way you approach this it is a all or nothing deal, since the three seem to work together.

>Hire them permanently as your personal retainers.
>Pay them as mercenaries for this expedition alone.
>No need. You and Dismas are competent enough.

>Ask Dismas opinion?
>>
>>447194
>>Pay them as mercenaries for this expedition alone.
But we can sign them on if the expedition proves profitable enough. They're free to pursue other work this way.
>>
>>447194
>>Pay them as mercenaries for this expedition alone.
>>
>>447194

>>447259 works for me. Noncommittal but not signing them off for possible future recruitment.
>>
Writing for test driving.
>>
Approaching the table you notice Claude almost jump off and run. That man is on springs. Katherine is the one who speaks first. "Looking vorward to working on your town, lady Darkest." Her beaked mask is conspicuously absent. Her features are gaunt but surprisingly tanned. She has calculating eyes and a long nose. Prominent front teeth that strangely resemble those of a rodent.

"Maybe your wishes will come through sooner than later, Mrs Von Ward." You pull a chair on another table, wary of approaching Claude last he jump off of his own skin. They all pay you more attention now. "There will be an expedition into the ruins of Castle Darkest. It shouldn't be dangerous or overly complicated. It is to secure a key, an old thing. It will give me access to my bank and I need it rather hastily. If the three of you are half as good as I think you are I would be interested in parting with some of my 'acquisitions' in the interest of a temporary partnership. Not to say a more permanent arrangement wouldn't be impossible, of course."

They dig through your discourse with clear interest. Soon you make a deal. They agree, for starters, as a solid 5% fee for each. A very generous deal from them considering this is supposed to be a milk run. You soon shake hands, leaving the details to be extrapolated once you come back victorious.

"You need not vear for our savety, ma'am. My crew is well versed in selv devense!" You are glad to hear and you say so. You bid your farewells as your supplies arrive. The servant boy carrying them bows and hurry up the stairs to deliver them to your room.

The expedition is ready.

>Give your party the signal. Move out as soon as they are ready.
>Don't go yet. You still have some things you want to do _Write in.

[Now this is an important decision that might change how the quest goes forward, at least for a while]
Should you go yourself or send them by themselves?
>Lead from the front.
>Stay behind, send the four of them first and only move in when you are sure they have cleared a way.

And will you bring Dismas along? He has been nothing but loyal, but now you have more firepower on hand than a humble Coachman.
>Take Dismas.
>Leave him in town.
>>
>>447488
>>Give your party the signal. Move out as soon as they are ready.
>Lead from the front.
>Take Dismas.
MAXIMUM FIREPOWER
>>
>>447508
BRING ALL THE DAKKA
>>
File: Ruin.jpg (215KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Ruin.jpg
215KB, 1920x1080px
Caution, valor, etc, etc. You give them the signal and ready yourself. Dismas is close nearby carrying all your provisions in a backpack. He carries with him a length of rope, a big and sturdy shovel, a hand pickax, three torches, two bandages, a vial of antidote and some healing salve. You also carry a flask of holy water, five prongs and a two waterskins, just in case. Rations for five, including bread, cheese and one bottle of rum. And, of course, all the personal belongings that your retainers and mercs wish to bring themselves.

You set off, burdened with the price of caution now, so that it won't later be paid for in blood and sweat.

The walk overhill is calm. Maybe too calm. The call of birds. The sound of animals scurrying about. All conspicuously absent. It sets your nerves on edge, but you easily shrug it off [+1 stress]. Dismas seems to take it all in stride, but your mercenaries all look equally on their toes. [+1 stress].

It isn't long when you reach the feet of Castle Darkest. Or what is left of it. Once imperial and proud. Now a collection of loose stones, hunched archways and overgrown vegetation. Most of the grounds have been overtaken by wild life. What was once a beautiful is now decayed, old, decrepit.

Entering proves easy enough. You step inside the burnt doorways without any difficulty. Mushrooms grow on the blackened wooden frames that once held the doors.

Sir Faust speaks up. "These doors. They have been broken from the inside, not the outside." and proceeds to point at various points where the wood splintered from the hinges. Dismas seems to concur, Katherine and Claude give no opinion.

Inside the main room you feel your stomach lurch. You can remember the glory of its past. The charming chandeliers and the warm, welcoming light they gave. The tapestries of the Darkest ancestors, all proud and imposing. Each different than the other. It is now all cinders, ashes and broken glass. Worthless. Here your path splits.

>Walk upstairs to explore what is left of the higher levels. The bedrooms are there, but they ought to be compromised.
>Go forward into the kitchens and dinning hall.
>Go bellow to the basement levels. Your uncle always forbade you of entering, although he spent most of his days in there.

>Ask your party?
>>
>>447604
>>Go below to the basement levels. Your uncle always forbade you of entering, although he spent most of his days in there.

I don't really know what to ask about
>>
>>447617
They are people with their own opinions. Even if they will obey you there are things they won't like to do, it gives them stress. Asking about what they want to do show light on their opinions and quirks.
>>
>>447621
Alright.
>What do you think of the castle?
>You're all veterans right? What do you usually find in places like this?
>Anything in particular you don't wanna meet?
>>
>>447626
>What do you think of the castle?
Sir Faust and Dismas say they are worried it looks too old and decayed. "Might be the stairs are too rotten for us to climb up without the help of a rope and a hook." says sir Faust. Dismas agree. "And the ceiling has fallen off, or burned down, but the rooms here are not filled with rubble." Katherine nods her agreement. Claude is shy.

>You're all veterans right? What do you usually find in places like this?
Dismas is the first to answer. "I had no business with ruins before. None this big either. But growing in the slums of London taught me dark things scurry about in dark places." Katherine and Faust seem uncomfortable and express that they know little of ruin delving. Faust however has at least a morsel of information. "Castles this big shouldn't burn this thoroughly without setting the whole surrounding area ablaze with them. It is a bit odd." Claude is shy, but he whispers quietly. "It smells funny."

>Anything in particular you don't wanna meet?
The four of them don't really know what to say. They shrug. Claude is the only one who says anything, surprisingly. "There are no monsters around." The others look at him funny and Katherine admonishes him in private.
>>
>>447604
>>Go bellow to the basement levels. Your uncle always forbade you of entering, although he spent most of his days in there.
>>
>>447657
Check the kitchens and dining hall
>>
>>447657
Trust your own judgment. Tell the unit to form a pentagon with yourself taking the lead. You have been in extremely dark places before and inevitably been the Victor beyond any setbacks. "Be aware, let's read our environment and safety with our combined strength will surely be the outcome."
>>
Writing for going bellow with "Keep your eyes peeled, keep together"
>>
These great ruins belong to you, and you shall know what they hold. "Keep your attention high and walk close." They obey and you hurdle together into a close formation. You press forward, feet after feet, until the darkness becomes oppressive. There is little light here. Only cobwebs and old, cold stone.

Dismas handles a torch. A match is struck and the fire burst to life, a blinding sun. Your eyes eventually adjust and you start to pace these abandoned corridors.

You walk further and further without disturbance until you come up to a display cabinet. It is still standing to one side of the room. The glass is covered in cracks, but still held together. Inside you can't see much but a glimpse of light off of a golden key, among other valuables. It is locked and well stuck. Seem your companions will deffer to your judgement.

Before you the corridor ends into a big passageway. A wooden gateway between stone archs. It is held shut by chains of rusted steel, locked by a golden padlock.

>Have someone break the glass. Use the key on the padlock.
>As above but break the glass yourself.
>Leave the cabinet for now. Use your sword on the lock.
>As above but have Dismas pick the lock.
>Other?

[unless stated otherwise you and your group will default to pocketing everything of value that you come across]

[For either choice, roll a 3d6]
>>
Rolled 5, 2, 3 = 10 (3d6)

>>448560
>>As above but have Dismas pick the lock.
>>
Rolled 2, 1, 2 = 5 (3d6)

>>448580
seconding
>>
You circle around the undisturbed furniture for now and point Dismas to the lock. He nods and hands Claude the torch. From a compartiment in his boots he takes a misshapen metal pin and a needle-like prong. You all gather around, curious to see the burglar's art.

"Common thievery and the look of a robber. You aren't exactly full of surprises, mister Dismas." Katherine's barbed comment seems to give your Coachman pause, but in the end Dismas take it in stride. [+1 stress]

Not too long after the lock opens. The chains fall to the ground loudly, grinding against their rails. The padlock itself is heavy, almost entirely made of gold. [+350c] You congratulate Dismas with a nod as he pushes the doors open. In that very moment you hear a heavy thud against wood and look for the culprit. In the door there is a crossbow bolt, old and wicked.

Dismas crouch immediately, but another bolt misses him by a wide margin. Claude begins to make a throaty sound very similar to a growl. Sir Faust draws his sword. Katherine seems a bit lost.

You quickly take the torch from Claude's hand and throw them inside the darkened room. The light shines off of a dozen busts, statues and paintings. Chests lining the walls, cabinets and bookstands, all filled with your family's riches. But what draws your attention are the hunched forms scattered about the vaulted room.

Desiccated, leathery skin clinging to dry bones. Empty eye sockets and perverse grinning teeth stare back at you from a half dozen skulls. They wield rusted blades, maces and wicked long axes. A couple have crossbows, which they are in the process of reloading. They are all, each and every one, long dead. Yet they walk. More than that. They charge at you!

>Combat
>Enemies: 3 long dead (sword), 1 long dead (mace and heavy shield), 1 long dead (long axe), 2 crossbones

Dismas draws his pistol. Your blade vibrates to your side, its unknown powers resonating with the devilry before your eyes.

>Lead from the front!
>>Draw your blade and defend the less... martial inclined members of your party.
>>Charge at the crossbow undead before they can reload their wicked weapons.
>Stay behind and give orders (bonus to party, +1 to lowest dice, lower DCs for crit)

>Command your party!
>>Order Sir Faust to block their way!
>>Order Dismas to focus on the crossbones.
>>Order Claude and Katherine to arm themselves.
>>Order Sir Faust or Claude (choose one) to charge ahead at the crossbones.
>Let your mercs and retainers do as they please. (No commands, they will default to do what they feel is needed)

>Write in? I will incorporate ideas, if needed be.

[Choose up to one from leading category and up to two from commanding category.]

>Quick stats, Weapons and Items are in the sheet in OP.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AQ7Ujv-4rBWXuNIIAyz911LpdNzXd3gneVdhRm5rFwM
>>
>>448693
>>Stay behind and give orders (bonus to party, +1 to lowest dice, lower DCs for crit)

>>
>>448693
>>Charge at the crossbow undead before they can reload their wicked weapons.

>>Order Sir Faust to block their way!
>>
>>448693
>Stay behind and give orders (bonus to party, +1 to lowest dice, lower DCs for crit)

>Order Sir Faust to block their way!
>Order Claude and Katherine to arm themselves.
>>
Tallying votes

>>448717
>Chaaarge

>>448708
>>448725
>Stay behind!

>>448717
>>448725
>Faust blocks

>>448725
>Kat and Claude get ready

>>448708
>Dismas takes the shot

Writing for staying behind, ordering Dismas to shoot the backline while having Faust block and hoping that Katherine and Claude get ready
>>
>>448693
Catherine wont listen to us, so

>stay behind and give orders

>order dismas to focus on crossbones
>tell kath to blight/stun as many as possible

No rushing them, I dont wanna get surrounded or caught by the gas kath is gonna unleash
>>
Shit! I forgot. Roll me 3d6
>>
Rolled 6, 3, 6 = 15 (3d6)

>>448756
time to oneshot some bones
>>
Rolled 4, 2, 3 = 9 (3d6)

>>448756
>>
>>448693
>>Stay behind and give orders (bonus to party, +1 to lowest dice, lower DCs for crit)
Get those fucking crossbows out of the way.
>>Order Claude and Katherine to arm themselves.
>>
Rolled 6, 2, 4 = 12 (3d6)

>>448756
>>
Rolled 3, 5, 3 = 11 (3d6)

>>448761
>>
Rolled 6, 1, 1 = 8 (3d6)

>>448756
Is this a "best of three" system?
>>
>>448783
[No, I just keep taking dice for as many actions as I see fit, including the enemy's actions. It often goes like this: first dices are always player or first acting ally. Second dice is either damage or second action. Then it repeats until I start taking dice for the enemy actions and damage. If there are not enough dice I roll them in secret. Not a precise system, but a sufficient one.]

You remain behind, hand in your blade's pummel. Looking behind your shoulder you see Claude and Katherine are reeling back, surprised. You quickly order them out of their stupor. "Get back in line!" They follow. Claude clumsily draws his sidearm. Katherine doesn't know what to arm herself with, but produces a small elongate vial from her heavy trenchcoat. Her hands tremble.

You turn once more to face the enemies. "Sir Faust, get in front and block their path. Everyone stay behind me!" [In front of the doorway you take an arrow formation. Faust in front, you and Dismas in second, Claude and Katherine behind.] Then you order the Coachman to deliver death. "Dismas! End the bows with extreme prejudice!" He nods. You can't see him grin, the shawl covering his mouth and nose. His gun raises, his aim taken, a thunderclap that frightens even your group. A flash of light and the sulfurous smell of gunpowder invade your world. On the receiving end you see one of the crossbow wielding undead explode in the middle. Its upper body shattering completely, skull flying through the air. Precision and power! A decisive strike! [18 damage!!!]

Faust weather the first assault with some difficulty. His long two-handed blade gives him some advantage against the smaller weapons. The halberdier and the heavy shield score each a hit against him. He looks none worse for wear. [2 damage, health 18/20] With one fell move he manages to cleave the halberd wielding undead. He is sent back sprawling on the floor! [11 damage, stunned! Health 4/15]

You hear a scream as Dismas clutch his shoulder. A bolt protrudes from his flesh! [-5 damage, Health 9/15] The other undead try to circle around Sir Faust to no avail. Each trying step met with a punch, a shove or the bite of his blade. He is an expert in close quarter combat and a decent bodyguard.

>Enemies: 3 long dead (sword), 1 long dead (mace and heavy shield), 1 long dead (long axe) [stunned! Heavily wounded] , 1 crossbones

You step up to the challenge once more! Dismas can't shoot again this turn, he needs to reload and his left hand sits limply against his hips, wounded.

(Commands on the next post)
>>
>Lead from the front!
>>Charge at the crossbow undead before he can shoot again.
>>Join sir Faust against the encroaching enemies!

>Command your party!
>>Order Sir Faust to go on the offensive, attacking more enemies, but unable to deter more than two at a time!
>>Order Sir Faust to change attacks and star stunning enemies and incapacitating them instead of killing them.
>>Order Claude to join Faust on the defense!
>>Order Claude to breach the enemy formation!
>>Order Dismas to step behind and reload as best as he can.
>>Order Dismas to arm himself with his long knife.
>>Order Katherine to help Dismas with his wounds.
>>Order Katherine to attack the remaining Crossbone with grenades.
>Let your party decide for themselves.

[As before, choose one of the leading group, two of the commanding group! The same character can't receive orders twice! And, before I forget, roll me 3d6]
>>
>>448824
>>>Join sir Faust against the encroaching enemies!
Dismas is out of play for the moment, reinforce the line.
>>Order Katherine to attack the remaining Crossbone with grenades.
>>Order Sir Faust to go on the offensive, attacking more enemies, but unable to deter more than two at a time!
>>
Rolled 5, 1, 4 = 10 (3d6)

>>448824
Here's the rolls. We'll drink wine from their skulls.
>>
Rolled 2, 2, 6 = 10 (3d6)

>>448824
Join sir faust, create a 2 man barrier to hold those guys back

Let kath and claude rain hell on the crossbow
order dismas to reload
>>
Rolled 5, 1, 1 = 7 (3d6)

>>448836
Seconding
>>
writing for moving forward, having sir faust on the offensive and ordering kath to bomb the skellington
>>
"Katherine" you call her attention. "Throw any grenades you have on the crossbow before it does us more harm!" She feels put off that you are so brazenly ordering her but moves to obey.

You run ahead of Dismas, put him to your back, and pull free the sword of your ancestry. Your hand move upwards in an attempt to injure one of the combatants on top of Sir Faust in the hopes of alleviating his burden. The cut would've been devastating on a an enemy of flesh and blood. The desiccated undead merely shrugs it off. [4 damage, Health 6/10] This is worrying, you would take too long and the enemy seems untiring. You bark at the knight for him to press his advantage. "Attack them with all you got. Hold nothing back!" He nods, and panting moves on to swing wide against one of his opponents. The hit connects but much like yours it does little harm. Expertly, Faust moves the blade onward and clips another opponent with the same swing. [7 damage twice, Health 3/10 to either]

You can see a vial of green, black and purple fly above your head. It soon smashes against the uncaring cobble. A cloud of a sickening gas expands forward before dying off. The crossbone appears unharmed, but you can see a clear intoxication of his stretched leathery flesh. [1 damage, blighted! +2 damage per turn, Health 12/15] In response it lets another wicked bolt fly. It misses Katherine by a hair and clatter harmlessly beyond the dark corridors behind you.

The undead wielding shield and mace moves against you in an attempt to overwhelm you. His rusted weapon comes down in force. You move your sabre to parry the attack but it connects to your arm. The wet and sickening sound of bone breaking can be heard. [8 damage, Health 12/20] You grit your teeth and manage to hold onto your sword with both hands. It is humming, vibrating softly to your touch. It is begging you to release it.

Claude seems to have lost his temper. He throws himself forward and ahead of you. His clumsy strike connects to the opponent you hurt before. It is such a powerful blow that it launches the creature against a wall, shattering it in many places. [11 damage! stunned!] He turns to face the other opponents and lets out a throaty scream more similar to a roar! He seems bigger, hairier and stronger than he was a moment before!

>Enemies: 2 long dead (sword) [all wounded], 1 long dead (mace and heavy shield), 1 long dead (long axe) [Heavily wounded] , 1 crossbones [blighted! lightly wounded]

No enemies managed to pass through you and Sir Faust and all the hits he received bounced off of his armor. Your left arm is broken! Dismas spent the round trying to reload his hand gun with one arm without much success.

(Commands on next post)
>>
>Lead from the front!
>>Charge at the lone crossbow undead.
>>Continue fighting with sir Faust!
>Move back behind Faust and Claude and give orders (bonus to party, +1 to lowest dice, lower DCs for crit)

>Command your party!
>>Have sir Faust press the attack, go all out and eliminate his weakened opponents.
>>As above but have him move back and defend you and Dismas.
>>Tell Claude to get back behind Faust!
>>Press Claude forward onto the opponents.
>>Tell Katherine to save up on her concoctions. They are not immediately a renewable resource.
>>Order Katherine to throw another bomb against the undead harrying your group. (Slight risk of friendly fire)
>>Order Dismas to get back in the fight! He still has a knife!
>Let your party do what they want.

>Anything else? Smart suggestions will be integrated on the post.
>>
>>449071
>Continue fighting with sir Faust!

>Have sir Faust press the attack, go all out and eliminate his weakened opponents.
>Press Claude forward onto the opponents.
>>
>>449071
>>Continue fighting with sir Faust!
>>Have sir Faust press the attack, go all out and eliminate his weakened opponents.
>Tell Dismas to reload his gun.
>>
[I am sorry everyone, I don't know how many people has been following the quest's stumbling progress but I am dealing with a lot of depression again. I didn't want to bring everyone down with my problems but other QMs told me it would be better to warn what is up.]
[If I get more motivation I will follow through as soon as possible. I am really sorry for the trouble. It shouldn't happen, but life is shit sometimes. Thank you all for reading.]
>>
>>452579
No problem, you do you buddy.
>>
>>452579
Take your time and thanks for bringing this quest to us
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.