[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Legacy Quest (Chapter IV) - A multi-generational retro dungeon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 9

File: Legacy Quest 4.jpg (147KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Legacy Quest 4.jpg
147KB, 600x600px
Welcome to legacy quest, a dungeon crawling adventure spanning several generations of heroes.

Your protagonists will die, permanently, but fear not! Before each hero embarks on their quest to free the land from evil, they marry and have children, ensuring their bloodline will not die with them, and providing the next intrepid adventurer to follow in the footsteps of their ancestors when they come of age.

Unfortunate and stupid heroes might face insta-kills, unwinnable situations, and general doom. The best and brightest will slowly progress through the dungeon, but will still likely face their inevitable death.

No one hero will beat the dungeon, only by building up a strong family of heroes, investing in your hometown/stronghold to acquire better resources, passing down knowledge, wealth, and loot.

Last time on legacy quest: >>290011
>Svard II powered through to the third sanctuary, resisting every attempt to kill him!
>Svard and Kazgrub finally parted ways. Kazgrub led a small band of now friendly goblins to find refuge in Angorvil, at Svard's invitation.
>Svard finally reached Sanctuary Citadel!

Now his adventure continues...

After a helpful feedback session at the end of the last thread, the popular consensus is to ramp the difficulty up a little, after Svard II has been fucking evil up a little too successfully. There have been some tweaks to various mechanics since last time, which I'll let you know about when they become relevant.

We'll continue after 3 bumps, as usual. Until then I'll dump character sheet and current map.
>>
Here
>>
File: Herosheet Svard II (1).jpg (579KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Herosheet Svard II (1).jpg
579KB, 600x900px
Here is Svard II's herosheet, after all items transferred from Kazgrub.
>>
File: Sanctuary Citadel.jpg (219KB, 704x736px) Image search: [Google]
Sanctuary Citadel.jpg
219KB, 704x736px
Here's the current (unexplored) map: Sanctuary Citadel!

The feedback seemed to be split between:
>People who were pretty happy with difficulty, although acknowledged that Svard II has been really lucky with rolls.
>People who wanted it to get a little harder.

The most common concern was the exponential increase in power with subsequent generations, so this has been addressed. Heroes will likely be a little more likely to succeed than their parent, but they're not going to cruise through things that wrecked the previous generation. One example of how this will be achieved:

There will be a limit on how many items can be sent back to Angorvil per Sanctuary!
>>
Hello.
>>
>>305417
Seems to be just the two of us for now, possibly because I've kicked off later than my usual time. If the thread really stays this quiet, I'll leave it for now, and come back at my usual time.

As a reward for being such a keen bean, have an early look at one of the new monsters!
>>
>>305445
YESSS NEW LEGACY! question what do you use to make them sprites?
>>
>>305449
Literally just the pencil tool on photoshop, new layer whenever I add armour or weapons. It's actually fairly simple (if a little time consuming).
>>
>>305457
wow It looks REALLY good. this style is really smooth and nice.
>>
>>305449
>>305417
>>305444
Three bumps
>>
>>305461
Yep, ready to roll!

>>305460
Thanks dude! Give it a go, it's surprisingly easy to do. For example, here's the same orc as above, sans weapons, shield, and armour.
>>
We should send back our gems to Angorvil
>>
Seeing as the thread is so slow right now, let's see if we can at least get Sanctuary done, and perhaps take a break after that.

You enter what is unmistakably another Sanctuary. Sunlight streams in from above, the smell of fresh grass and sweet flowers lingers in the air, a cool breeze brings fresh air to your lungs, and the sound of trickling streams is audible in the background. All this, despit being hundreds of meters underground. Spirit knows how.

What do you do?

Map in >>305437
>>
Go to the center of the room
>>
>>305479
Examine the room ahead.
>>
>>305485
+lay down take a nap.
>>
File: Sanctuary Citadel 2.jpg (954KB, 1408x1472px) Image search: [Google]
Sanctuary Citadel 2.jpg
954KB, 1408x1472px
>>305485
>>305488
>>305489

You walk into the centre of the room, and look around.

>The room ahead of you contains the stairs, presumably to the next level.
>The room to your left contains the healing fire, provisions, and beds.
>The room to your right contains the portals, and... What in the name of the Spirit? That's... That's Tanwyn! How? That's impossible!
>>
Go meet Tanwyn
>>
In case it wasn't obvious:

What do?
>>
>>305502
Act like this is normal and nothing is wrong then greet him.
>>
>>305516
Her! Tanwyn is your wife dude.

>>305508
Waiting for another vote.

This is running super slowly, we may have to resume later.
>>
>>305502
Cautiously meet your wife.
>>
>>305532
whoops
>>
>>305532
Yeah for some reason the board has been really slow the past couple of days.

I think people might be studying for finals?

Also, greet your wife, but be wary its most likely an illusion
>>
Great run Op. Relieved Svard made it to the next Sanctuary. Glad Kaz will be safe from here on out. With some fellow Gobbys no less. We wouldn't have gotten this far without him. Excited to see how our town has prospered from our previous donations and our new Goblin allies.
>>
I fear for Svards future from here on out. I would suggest sending anything that will help our heir back home. Sleepy fire and such. Crafting anything our kid could use. Beatle shield, spindle mail, who knows. Upgrading our town as much as we can. Returning home to see our wife one last time if at all possible. I'm hoping for our next hero to be a badass spellsword.
Thoughts?

Svard ll "silvertongue"
>>
>>305566
We should try get our next hero a brother or sister, maybe even a twin. Why go it alone?
>>
>>305574
Kek
>>
>>305574
I was thinking op should roll like a d100 for twins and the such. A good balance might be that it is 2 people but they have split things such as twin a being smart but VERY weak twin b being strong but VERY weak. I say very because if it isnt very weak then it wouldnt counter balance the extra turn you get from 2 people.
>>
>>305574
Maybe Kaz will have an heir by the time our kid sets off.
>>
>>305533
>>305516
>>305508

You approach cautiously, not quite believing your eyes...

"Tanwyn? What? How can you be here?"

"Strictly speaking, I can't... But I didn't spend the last year uncovering lost arcane truths just to be stopped by a little word like can't!"

She grins at you.

"Since you sent us that information about the Spirit of Light, I've been working non-stop to find out about the magic it uses for these sanctuaries, for the portals.

I've found a loophole basically. I can be in this room, but only for a short amount of time. The more important news is this: You can come back. You can come home."

You reel. She must be joking? How?

She explains her findings to you. Although the exact process is too complex for you to quite wrap your head around, you get the gist.

At Sanctuary Citadels, you are now able to retire your current hero. This will allow you to portal in your next hero to the same point in the dungeon, having been trained by their parent to the same level. This feature allows players to bring some fresh blood to the quest if the current hero is feeling a bit stale.

If the hero declines the chance to retire, they will not receive it again until the next Sanctuary Citadel. If said hero dies, their offspring will not receive the benefit of all of their knowledge, and so may only be trained to one level below their parent's level, and may only portal in to 1 sanctuary prior to the latest that their parent got to. This provides an element of risk to either option.

This feature is being trialled. If it does not work well, or is particularly unpopular, it may be rescinded due to "complex portal utilising spells collapsing".
>>
>>305598
> retire
Wind down with bro Gob, grow old with loyal as fuck wife. Train badass kid.
>>
We should retire Svard the second he already pretty great and he said he would come back after all
>>
>>305598
Craft and shop first though.
>>
Seeing as this is a huge decision, I'll wait for around 5 votes. Also what do people think of this as an option?

>A good way to allow introduction of new characters and reward success?
>A cop out happy ending?
>A thinly veiled ploy for the QM to get rid of a character he can't seem to kill.
>>
>>305624
Third option obviously ;)
>>
>>305624
The way I'm currently seeing Sanctuary Citadels as working is that they only appear if a hero makes it through 3 sets of 5 rooms.

Perhaps think of it as "this individual hero has done so much to weaken evil that the Spirit of the Light's magic is able to afford them that little bit more help".

Once again, this is subject to change.
>>
>>305624
Kek
Well I'm a sucker for a happy ending so...
>>
>>305624
Why don't we go home then come back later after teaching our kid the basics? And doing village stuff.
>>
>>305636
Well savour it, I doubt you'll get many! Svard II was really not meant to get this far.
>>
>>305635
Seems fair.
The second hero made it pretty far, but we had some amazing rolls to get this far. For example recruiting a tank in the second room. That's really what gave us an edge. We were almost taken out by a single Spindleman either way. Combat difficulty doesn't seem to broken a few more bad rolls and Svard would have been dead long ago.
>>
I like the idea. But I don't know if I want Svard II to retire now... Not because he was being lucky (that might stop) but because I had in mind that all heroes had to die.

But we'll see what happen.
>>
>>305650
Kid is a tiny infant at the moment. Also, the bullshit magic is a one way deal I'm afraid.
>>
>>305598
Make sweet love with our wife.

Since there's has been so much hate on this character lets just make him retire as a priest of the light or something.

Maybe he can help out each generation

I'm ready for a raging alcoholic hero
>>
>>305652
It was true love OP!
>>
>>305654
Yeah, this was the only thing I didn't like about the idea, I assuaged my unhappiness with the fact that these heroes are very much the exception, rather than the rule. How many heroes are going to make it through 15 rooms?

Especially now that you don't get extra rations from sanctuary, and healing stuff is rare!

Vote here:
https://www.strawpoll.me/10593409

Seeing as the thread is struggling a little, I'll leave it for a while, and come back and collect the votes later. Either way, you'll get to see the new rooms shortly! There's a whole bunch of new enemies too.
>>
>>305670
Just let Svard II continue I guess, he will eventually die, he can't be that lucky, and as QM you can force things a bit anyway (but that'd suck now because we know you'd do it)
>>
>>305712
is it not better for him to live? If you just want him to die is it not better for his loot to be given to his son? For his knowledge and skills to be used more? Why do I keep writing in a poetry like manner? I know not.
>>
I think it's especially important for Svard II to retire because of the new goblins coming to live in town. If he is there to smooth things over then I think the other inhabitants will be more willing to accept the gobbies into the populace.
>>
>>305789
No they are building a separate village hopefully around 10 miles away.
>>
Do some crafting/shopping then retire svard II.
>>
>>305882
this
>>
>>305882
I'd like to do this. Do some crafting, graffiti his name in the room and have his final dungeon meal retiring to be the new town leader/wise man
>>
>>305882
You guys think those three chests can be looted? If so reap rewards.
>>
Yeah, I've had enough of friendly Svard. Time for a new hero. Not fan of mages as well, too OP in most settings.

Saying that - retire.
>>
>>305998
Sorry to say our child is going to be a mage as well this time.
>>279285
We chose the middle one.
>>
>>306013
Magic doesn't necessarily mean mage. :^)
>>
Okay, well the strawpoll went overwhelmingly in favour of retiring Svard II.

I guess we'll be ending his saga here and now then!

Before Svard II leaves, never to return, what else should we do in sanctuary citadel?
>Heal, eat and rest
>Crafting
>Decide on three items to leave to our child
>Decide on how to spend gold
>>
>>306292
All of the above.
Loot treasure in the north room?
Unless it's decoration.
>>
>>306318
this -heal and rest. We can heal at home.
>>
>>306292
Crafting time

FUCK YEAH LEGACY QUEST IS BACK
>>
>>306292
If sanctuaries are protected, cant we just leave all items here for our son so that we lose nothing?
>>
>>306387
who said raiders wont steal it?
>>
>>306292
Make armor
>>
>>306404
>If sanctuaries are protected
>>
>>306413
>>If sanctuaries are protected
From monsters not raiders. Why would we be the only ones allowed in? no one said that and op said lots of people come in here. They can prob use sanctuaries as well.
>>
>>306425
>op said lots of people come in here
I missed that piece of info, my bad.
>>
>>306425
In that case it'd be interesting if other families in the village start trying to get a piece of the glory and attempt to have their sons/daughters traverse the dungeon
>>
>>306318
>>306326
>>306364

I guess heal and rest are irrelevant, because either he's done int and we continue with other stuff, or he'll do it in a while/at home.

>>306387
Sanctuary Citadel is veryhard to reach, you must get through 15 consecutive rooms. Plus the whole point of the only 3 items rule is to stop heroes becoming exponentially more powerful.

For the rest of his gear: Anything important or worthwhile has every chance of it or something similar turning up in loot at some point in the future.

Crafting options:
>Carapace armour - Defence bonus +1, melee attackers take 1d3 damage upon a crit fail when attacking - 2 chitinous shells, 2 strips of spiked carapace.
>Small shell shield - Defence bonus +1, +2 when blocking - 2 chitinous carapaces
>Shell buckler - Defence bonus +1 when blocking - 1 chitinous carapace
>Spindle mace end - Crafting component for higher quality weapon - 4 spindles, spindle sap, steel ball

Please see >>305419 for inventory.
>>
>>306451
Our family is the only one that have experience and stuff. And why risk your life for not alot of glory?
>>306456
Carapace armor
>>
>>306456
Voting for Shell Shield. +3 to defense is pretty good.
>>
>>306456
Is shell shield 1 handed? If so it's insane, gimme that shit.
Mace sounds fun but I dont want to throw away sleepyfire.

Also where is the assassin's goo? Figured we could do something with it.
>>
>>306467
we cant use shields im pretty sure.
>>
>>306467
Only +2 when blocking, you don't get +3.

I think I made the blocking vs. passive defence bonus a bit confusing in past threads.

From now, defending with a melee weapon gives you +1, but NOT against ranged weapons. That makes sense. Bucklers only give defence bonus when blocking but including ranged attacks, again makes sense. Larger shields will give bonuses to defence (against all) passively, more so when blocking.
>>
>>306387
>>306404
Also if we are returning home shouldn't we be able to take everything home with us? Leaving it in the sanctuary seems reasonable, but I could understand if either would make us overpowered. My only concerns are bringing an underequipped hero back to the same level of difficulty as our hero stacked with 15 rooms worth of loot and the fact that our 15 floor tele home comes at the first opportunity to do some crafting. Therefore if we can only send 3 items home, while we already have two legendary items. The smartest thing to do would be to make or choose one other item to take then sell the rest of our crafting fodder for gold. Which would take alot of fun out of crafting in general.
I would suggest increasing the item cap to five. (So if we bring a new hero 15 rooms in he will be decently equipped)
Or deciding on some way to store less important items in town/sanctuary. Like spindles and such.
>>
>>306495
Item limit is fine. OP said we might find some of the stuff we leave behind.
>>
>>306456
Either way voting for armor.
>>
>>306506
Yeahh was writing my thoughts down before he posted crafting options.
>>
>>306479
Sure, but Svard's about to retire!

>>306476
Forgot about that, I'll add it to the inventory.

Crafting materials can be left in workbenches, and used by descendants.

>>306495
Yeah, again, this system is being trialled. Item cap could raise in the future if needs be. Besides, you keep much more loot than if your hero died and all the treasure was lost.
>>
>>306494
Still going for the shield. 1d3 damage on a 1/20 chance is not good enough to justify getting that over a guaranteed +2
>>
>>306494
Well, if shield gives +2 tops I'd rather just use the armour and the amulet we have now, frees us 1 hand.

Changing >>306476 to armour
>>
Sorry today's session is a little messy, it's the tweaks to mechanics, new sanctuary, and retiring a hero all going on at once. When we hit the new rooms, should go back to normal.
>>
>>306531
They way I see it you are trying to accomodate our requests, I got zero complaints. And we are still tweaking.
>>
Votes are split, I'll make a strawpoll to prevent thread clogging.

https://www.strawpoll.me/10595539
>>
>>306531
No complaints here.
My input just shows how much I enjoy your quest style.
>>
As another note, Tanwyn's sprite will be the basic template for any female heroes we roll in the future. Hope it's an acceptable starting point.
>>
Votes are split 2 to 1 a the moment, with only three voters. We always manage a first to three system, so I guess the super slow thread means we're going to have to call an end to it early today. Really sorry to you loyal anons who've been waiting for LQ's return. Should be back tomorrow morning.

I'll make sure character creation tables are ready in time for our new hero! Until then, your homework is to think of a good name, bonus points if it's not Svard!
>>
>>306712
Cya~
>>
>>306712
Looking forward to it
>>
Rolled 2 (1d10)

Op if youre still here, I would love to start up again maybe? I just finished catching up on the old threads and cant wait to dig in.
>>
Rolled 28 (1d100)

>>306712
Well, see you tomorrow, today was short, but I had no time to be here anyway, sadly.
Have your goodnight roll, I hope to have lots of fun tomorrow.
>>
>>307079
Hopefully be back around 9:00 GMT, hope to see you dude. I've actually made a lot of content I didn't even get to show today!
>>
Rolled 56 (1d100)

>>307238
Rerolling for 800 posts.
>>
Rolled 40 (1d100)

>>309278
rollin cause why not.
>>
I'm back
And I'm ready to shitpost and vote
>>
It seems like the Carapace armour takes it by a whisker.

Which the items would you like to leave to your child?
>>
>>309538
*Three items.

See >>305419
For inventory. Plus newly built carapace armour.
>>
>>309541
I vote for sleepy and gauntlet since both are legacy items.
Third anything, I guess Carapace armour since it's just been made
>>
>>309538
Wait, are the items we have equipped included in this three limit? If they dont, then
>Glowing red gem
>Poor quality emerald
>Carapace armor

If they do
>Sleepyfire
>Gauntlet
>Glowing red gem
>>
>>309538
Sleepy fire armour and gauntlet
>>
The gauntlet is called Smiter of Nature Gauntlet

I think we should sell our gems
Get the money.
Invest in town
Give

christ surely if we retire we can give all the shit to our kid

Its 15 rooms and now the difficulty is going up

Let it happen
>>
>>309567
Actually make it Bloodrazor gauntlet..

Thats final
>>
>>309568
Nah. It needs the animal beast nature thingy.
>>
>>309576
I choose the name dude
>>
>>309593
Yeah, your choice goes. Sorry for absence, got an unexpected guest here. Strawpoll anyone?

If people are very unhappy with three items, we could switch to 1 armour, 1 weapon, and 3 any items.
>>
>>309599
1 armour 1 weapon 2 items
>>
>>309599
Armor, wewpon and 3 items is good for me
>>
Sleepyfire
Gauntlet
Armor

Store extra crafting material in sanctuary. Sell gems and anything we don't need. Check if anything is worth buying from the store. (We may find a better armor or something. )
Donate all the gold we don't need to our town or the new hero.
>>
>>309620
Gems ARE crafting material and the tradeoff is high selling prices. At least the glowing red gem looks promising
>>
>>309621
Didn't know that, but pretty cool. Maybe they can be used for a staff.
I think Op said something about storing crafting material in the workbench, could be a good way to manage what we take back. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
>>
>>309623
No sense bringing back home crafting materials if they can be stored, but also takimg them home for research can benefit the settlement
>>
Sorry I've been crap at sorting out the discussion, guest has gone now.

Which three items are we going for? Bear in mind that crafting materials can be stored.

https://www.strawpoll.me/10602408

Once this is done, we'll power through the rest of this bloody sanctuary, and see some new levels with a new hero. Sorry for the absence guys!
>>
>>309888
We can only vote for one thing on that poll.
Wouldn't it be better to allow us to pick as many as we want then you just choose the top 3.
>>
>>309896
Fuck, I made a mistake, forgot to tick the box for that. Anyone able to make a new poll? My PC is playing up.
>>
Here
https://www.strawpoll.me/10602578

If we select somthing which is a crafting item just skip it and move to the next.
since we can store the crafting items

>>305419
I think we used the health potion
>>
>>309922
Thank you kind anon. I'm going to go with the gauntlet, weapon, and armour (which seem to be popular choices), unless we have any objections, the thread needs to move on. Right then!

You make a final tour of the Sanctuary, sending Sleepyfire, Bloodrazor, and your fresh forged Carapace Armour into the portal to your village.

You unload your crafting supplies into the drawers beside the forge, and prepare to depart.

Any final actions before you end your adventure? All gold will by default be left to your child. Any of the items left behind may be found in the dungeon by your successors.

>One last thing, (specify)
>Let's meet our new hero!
>>
>>309972
>One last thing.
Have a last meal in the dungeon then call somthing out, such as 'They said I'd die in here but I didn't! I did it How do you like THAT! Smell ya later Trickster.' also laugh as you depart.
>>
Oh and make a rude hand gesture
>>
>>309991
Seconding. Gotta graffiti the place.
>>
>>309991
>>309994

The Svard vs. Trickster trash talk is real. He's not even the one determined to kill you!

You call Tanwyn over, and recieve one final meal in the dungeon you had once presumed to be your tomb.

"They said I'd die in here. Pleased to disappoint you, evil entity arseholes!"

Svard II prepares to leave the dungeon.

Question to those lurking, as this thread has been so fractured and interrupted, do people think it's worth starting afresh tomorrow, with a new hero, new rooms, everything good?

Or shall we push on with the loyal few we have here now?
>>
>>310010
To clarify, starting afresh would involve a new thread tomorrow, seeing as I've done a poor job at keeping the current one lively.
>>
I think once it has been on the front page for a while more people will come, if it helps.
>>
>>310010
I've noticed /qst/ is deader than usual today. I wouldn't mind starting fresh with a new thread tomorrow.
>>
>>310151
this
>>
>>310151
>>310152
>>310161
Thanks for the advice guys. I think seeing as this thread is so full of sanctuary decisions, I'll use character creation plus new adventure to get more anons posting in a new thread tomorrow. Hopefully the quest doesn't have to die.
>>
New thread up! >>312911
Thread posts: 126
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.