[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Back-Woods (post-apoc. adventure): Part 1 (intro)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

>What is "Backwoods"?
Short answer: NOT Fallout.
Long answer: A post apocalyptic setting set in the fetid marshes of the American South, the dense forests & looming mountains of the North, or the arid deserts of the west. Set in alternate retro-futuristic future where a coalition of communist states in Central America & the Caribbean financed & armed by the Soviet Union launch a series of devastating nuclear attacks across the USA as reprisal for perceived military aggression. This triggers a world-ending exchange between the world's great powers, eradicating most of the Earth's population in the process. Any survivors of the blasts were confined to the isolated, oft-forgotten parts of the earth. Such bedraggled men and women formed settlements and factions to contend with the harsh conditions, including the debilitating fallout, wandering mutated beasts,& other belligerent survivors. No one was left unchanged by the great scouring & savagery became the rule rather than the exception.

Centuries have passed since the apocalypse, & the world is still recovering. Whilst the majority of the fallout has subsided, the surface is still fraught with peril; bedraggled tribes clash for what little drinkable surface water there is & hulking mutated horrors prowl and stalk the undergrowth. The technological marvels of the old world are a source of both fixation and abhorrence amidst the population, for as potent or lifesaving they can be, the threat of total re-annihilation are very possible. won What's more is that the cataclysmic effects of the nuclear exchange appears to have opened up a rift between dimensions, & nameless, eldritch things claw at the sanity of men.
>Sounds pretty eh. Aren't there like 12 other post-apocalypse quests up right now? I think i'll pass.
The difference between Backwoods & other settings is that YOU (YES YOU) decide the location of the setting. This is just a little experiment I wanted to try out. Want to see a quest based essentially in the back yard of your small town in your home state of Montana, or if you just want a post-apocalyptic game in Louisiana if you think it sounds cool? Simply say so and we'll vote on it! Of course, I'll have to make some compromises to keep the setting interesting for the mind's eye, but its ostensibly up to you!
> So its a home brew thread? Fuck that shit! I ain't writing your setting for you!
Don't you worry about that. Simply vote on a location and/or state you'd like the quest to be set in & I'll start writing up some general fluff. Also, keep in mind the population density of the area in mind; the setting is called Backwoods after all, so it wouldn't make sense to set it entirely in the ruins of Chicago.

To start things off, I'll provide some basic choices for settings:
>Wetlands of Great Dismal Swamp, Virginia.
>Delmarva Peninsula, Maryland/Delaware.
>Appalachian mountains.
>Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest, Montana.
>Other? Maine, New Mexico, Arizona? (Please specify)
>>
Britain. All the ancient magic and shit is awake following the apocalypse. Black annis prowls the marsh, kelpies lurk in the lochs, an island rose out of the sea with a tomb on it etc.
>>
>>1593394
Interesting choice. i'm not sure Britain would survive a nuclear blast, though, considering the geological composition of the Island. I'll consider it though.
>>
>>1593306
>Other? Maine, New Mexico, Arizona? (Please specify)
The middle of michigan. Close enough to big cities to allow anons' exploration looting itches to be scratched, but still having a low enough population density to fit the setting.

In addition, I support RustAnon's idea of magic returning after the apocalypse. It would be cool to see Native American myths around us, and other cultures myths arise should we travel elsewhere.
>>
>>1593445
I'm liking the idea of Michigan, despite me not knowing much about the place. Guess I better do some research.
>>
Gonna be gone for like an hour. Keep the ideas coming anons.
>>
>>1593306
A post apocalyptic setting in Belgium interested me this week(was traveling through it and imagining scavengers and fortified locations) alas I don't know much about the American south.
>>
>>1593394
>>1593550
Yeah, sorry guys. i'd prefer to keep the game confined to the USA. britan might be possible, but with Belgium, there's kind of a culture barrier.
So far I think Michigan is our best bet. I'll have to get a wider concensus tho.
>>
>>1593867
Can you tell me a bit more about Michigan?
>>
>>1593306
>>1593899

Well, I had to do a bit of research but here's just some conceptual shit.
>Michigan: a powerhouse of industry situated at the nucleus of the Great Lakes in the American Midwest.The great manufacturing hubs of the Wolverine State churned out a seemingly endless slew of auto-motives, planes, & other goods for the prosperity of the American people: all of it reduced to ash in a mere instant.

>The southern peninsula was flattened by a salvo of Soviet & CoaliciĆ³n nuclear ordnance. The great metropolis of Detroit was completely destroyed, as were the other cites of Great Rapids & Lansing. Those that survived ambled north or south, hoping to avoid the cumulative fallout from the ruins of Michigan & the harmful airborne residue from the crater that was once Chicago.
>>
>>1593899
Basically, Michigan was once a great manufacturing hub. i assume you've heard of henry ford? Well that's where his company was based. Anyway, Michigan has kind of a reputation for being a shithole now, but in my alt. future, it's still pretty prosperous untill the bombs fell of course. Most of the industry is concentrated in the southern lower peninsula whilst the northern lower peninsula and the upper peninsula are mostly just lakes, woods, mountains, etc. Pretty good setting, but i'm open to others.
>>
>>1593948
>>1593899
Honestly, Detroit and Lansing are looking at pretty good futures, with the areas on the up-and-up compared to what they used to be IRL. Ann Arbor is still the yuppie center of the state, and Flint, well...the water is still poison, so...
>>
how about Barrow, Alaska?
they have oil so heating isn't an issue for a while though foodstuffs will be an issue early game.
>>
>>1593936
Sounds interesting I'll vote for that.
>>
New Jersey/New York

This is gunna be fun. Bridge faring tribal warfare when?
>>
>>1593306
>>Appalachian mountains.
Really want to do the trail before I die.
>>
File: forest.jpg (161KB, 530x354px) Image search: [Google]
forest.jpg
161KB, 530x354px
Sorry for the hiatus, but it really is flattering to see interest in this little idea. I'm a little inexperience in /qst/ so I highly appreciate it.
So there seems to be a "general consensus" (>>1598687 >>1599015 >>1598990 >>1593445) that wants the game to be concentrated in the Midwest, New England, & North-East area. This differs a little from what I originally envisioned (antics in the bayous of the south) but that's not a bad thing. In fact, it shows a lot of promise. It's gonna start in Central Michigan & I'll likely develop the setting as we go along.
So with that out the way, we need to build the character we want to play. I'll be back later once I've thought up some character creation races and systems.
>>
>>1593306
The inhabitants of what was once the United States can be divided into three distinct races:
>Humans
The hardy men and woman that inhabit the wastes are forced to contend with the transgressions of their fore-bearers. Survivors of the nuclear war survived the all-encompassing blasts through tactful planning, resourcefulness, & a desire to survive. A small fraction of the population were lucky enough to occupy "Dimspots": areas that weren't in the initial blast radii of the great war and were less affected by the drift of radioactive material that followed.
Those without a callous survivalist bent were unlikely to survive in the initial years of scarcity, gene altering fallout, & internecine battles and skirmishes for resources. Culture and society adjusted itself accordingly to match the brutality of this near extinction-level event & the now salient paranormal activity that sprung up in its wake. Nowadays, the vestiges of civilization are recuperating in the form of atomized settlements, clans, tribes, & militias. Trade is still alive and well, eateries provide gristly but somewhat wholesome foods, and cadres of mercenaries, sheriffs or goons at least attempt to keep the peace, albeit messily. Whilst such populations are often fraught with discord and beleaguered by raiders, beasts, & other threats, the idea of what once was and what could be is still the most haunting notion in the minds of many. Many brave humans wander the roads, forests, & ruins of the Old World for a number of reasons. To townsfolk, such individuals are considered enigmatic, dangerous, but rarely longevous.
>Chipae (pronounced chee-pay A.K.A. NOT ghouls)
The majority of the earth's populace was incinerated centuries ago; their forms burnt into the ruins they once inhabited. The radiation that ensued killed many of the survivors,but there are those who claim to have met individuals who have lived prior to the Great Exchange; those who have stared the apocalypse right in the face & came out...different. Such men and women were called the "Chipae": literally meaning dead men. Through the mutating effects of radiation, the manifestation of the will of some divine but cruel entity, or some other unknown factor, the Chipae had their lifespans extended at the expense but their faces and bodies were forever changed. Their flesh & hair fell away until they resembled walking corpses. Many of these individuals went mad, & retreated into the dark recesses of the earth; unleashing their malice on any intruders. The "Forlorn Chipae" are both pitied and reviled, but those among them who retained their faculties became physically and mentally tougher as a result of their drastic physiological changes. The constitution of the Chipae is the stuff of legend, & whilst they may not be the most popular at gatherings, many of them do not care. After all, they will most likely outlive 'em all...
(Cont'd: ONE MORE RACE)
>>
>>1601685
>Ab-humans (A.K.A. NOT Super Mutants)
If the world wasn't destroyed in atomic fire, mankind would have most likely found another way to fuck things up. Brilliant minds have always worked laboriously to fashion new ways to kill each other since time immemorial, & at no time was this more endemic than the time preceding the Great War. America's genetic superhuman project, for example, was one of the government's most closely guarded secrets. "Participants" were selected from convict populations, POWs, & political prisoners to be subjected to excruciating & drastic bodily augmentation, mind-rending psychological conditioning, & an experimental serum known as PAAA-234 in order to produce the ultimate soldier; stronger, faster, & unshakably servile.
The dubbed Abhumans were never mass-produced or applied in combat before the bombs fell, but the project was considered a resounding success, with the small sample population mutants displaying exceptional aptitude in combat simulations. The engorged hulking subjects demonstrated great exuberance with the prospect of destroying the "Red Wetback Menace" for the glory of The United States. It must have been heartbreaking then that the apocalypse snuffed out the chance of this great advent. Emerging from underground facilities across the American continent, they were like orphaned children; stranded in the wastes. Moreover, the deleterious effects of the mutant's physical and mental conditioning began to show: with the majority among them displaying signs of schizophrenia, violent impulses, & other disturbing quirks.
It would take an individual of exceptional charisma and intellect to unite this disheveled population. The more cogent & affable Abhumans that wander the wastes talk with great admiration about a figure known as "Ol' Red"; accounts vary greatly from mutant to mutant but most considered him to be a messiah like figure,who's knowledge & wisdom was infallible. With His guidance, the Abhumans conquered great swathes of the continent, at least until His untimely death. With this despairing moment, Ol' red's flock scattered & wandered the nation; devoid of purpose. Abhumans are hugely varied in both demeanor & physicality, but all are feared or at least respected by both Humans and the Chipae due to their unpredictable actions and combat aptitude. It is also rumored that there are some Abhuman settlements out there, centered around a leader or warlord. Such a figurehead must have the brawn, brains, &/or charisma to unite a group of capricious mutants, but none possess more than Ol' Red, & the Abhumans remember that.
>Other. (Android? Weird mutant bug man????? IDK pls specify)
Fuck this was a pain in the ass to write but its done. Now, select a race from the options provided.
>>
>>1602077
>Other
Subject #6277-D8
Before the war, D8 has little fragmental memories of his what his human life was like. All he remembers the cold, stale iron facility he was entombed in by the scientists that dwelled there. Like many of his kin, he was subject to PAA-234, but the mutation made him a variant more removed from a regular Abhuman.

The PAA-234 effected D8 to such an extent that his humanity was something xenometric in a biological sense. His true form was that of pure flesh with deep black eye orbs, with no discernible pupils. The procedures rendered his skeletal system to painfully shift to more exoskeletal one. At will he could formulate any arm into a blade or hammer due to the forced evolutionary comabt serum that was PAA-234.

That wasn't the most insiduous aspect about Subject #6277-D8 however. Within his body lies an elongated tail bone probiscus. With this, he can inject any prey with chemicals synthesized in his mutated adrenal organ system that was formed due to the testing. The probiscus of its true malevolent and deceptive nature, can absorb the genome of any living lifeform. All the cells are absorbed into the tail bone structure, where it is stored in a specialized cell system that allows D-8 to shapeshift into ths absorbed creature.

D-8 found out that has telepathic control over Abhumans or any organism affected by PAA-234. He used this to consolidate power over the more brutish, unintelligent Abhumans in the test subject pool. After the event of the nuclear exchange, the facility went on lock-down. The automous nature of the site allowed the researchers, maintenance crews, and security force alike to bunker in while the initial nuclear fallout subsided.

All seemed to go well, until D-8 killed and absorbed his handler assigned to him. Assuming his identity, D-8 breezed across the other cells largely uncontested, freeing the other Abhumans. Using his deceptive tactics, he led a sucessful uprising gaining full facility.
>>
>>1602228
After subsequentily executing the head researcher administration, he ordered the other Abhumans to round up the imprisoned faculty. One by one he absorbed all of them, gaining more genomes to his growing base of shapeshift. D-8 allowed the mutants to go free to roam the wastes to their own desire, he was a solo predator. Now D-8 wanders aswell, grifting the only downtrodden settlements and tribal communities with his seemingly mystical levels of inhumanity. With every new genome, he gathers awareness of new abilities to his arsenal of biological enhancements. His only negative is that he cannot stay out his true-form for long, or else the one he currently mimicing will deteriorate. He either has to continuously switch forms or rest to restore the genomes he was masking as. Only animal, fish, and insect genomes are the ones he can retain indefinitely due to their simplicity.
>>
Chipae
Brendan Jamerson had been a prepper, he'd never really believed that anything would come out of it but it was a fun hobby that could come in handy every once in a while. He wasn't prepared for what happened, he was prepared materially, he had knowledge on how to survive and he knew how to deal with society crumbling. But the loneliness of being the only survivor took it's toll; Brendan was not prepared for the aftermath of the apocalypse.

Brendan had lived a little ways outside of the city. When the bombs fell, people did stupid things. Some figured that the police were nothing now that the state didn't exise, they weren't wrong. The city should have been fine, by apocalypse standards of course, but the panic, riots, gangwars and that one mutha' fukah who blew the city up, he must have been collecting bombs for years to get so many bombs. Brendan hadn't left his home since the announcement of the end of the world and once he had built up the courage to visit the city; all buildings taller than three floors had had their supports blown up and were collapsed.
>>
>>1602228
>>1602276
I'm liking it.
>>
File: KILLITWITHFIRE.jpg (15KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
KILLITWITHFIRE.jpg
15KB, 250x250px
>>1602595
I was inspired by a retro game called SS13. Wanted to see a changeling scenario amidst a post-apocalyptic world and how the creature would interact with the differing factions. Instead of being the archetype survival, the horror theme mixed in the already desolate atmosphere would be badass. Kinda like a very depowered Cell/The Thing.
>>
>>1602707
Ok, cool. I'll wait for some other suggestions to trickle in before we settle on yours. I intend to set the first part of the quest in another thread so it might get some more attention so I'll post a link. Also, I don't know whether or not to put in a S.P.E.C.I.A.L. like system or not. I feel like it would complicate things, so i'll just allow simplified dice rolls with modifies depending on the situation.
>>
>>1603906
But I thought it was not fallout.
>>
>>1604506
Yeah you're right I'll just keep it simple.
Also NEW THREAD for lurkers. We will be commencing shortly with the Subject #6277-D8 idea.
>>1604680
>>1604680
>>1604680
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.