[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>>797532 >Disable 3rd party archives >Make 1st party

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: 1464100550755.jpg (5KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
1464100550755.jpg
5KB, 150x150px
>>797532

>Disable 3rd party archives
>Make 1st party archives pass only

This is the future you chose
>>
Now we just need to kill the catalog.
>>
Third party archives weren't always a thing, I'm sure we can do fine without them if necessary
>>
File: this poster.jpg (695KB, 750x1126px) Image search: [Google]
this poster.jpg
695KB, 750x1126px
>>797793
>>
what can we do?

you have two options, either stop using 4chan now, or stay until it becomes a complete ghost town and then move.

it's all the same in the end.
>>
>>797841
here lets use this weird thing
https://mebio.us/
>>
I remember someone said a year ago about hiro trying to monetizing adding a search engine thing to 4chan. This could be the first step.
>>
>>797865
what.jpg
>>
>>797841
You can still use 4chan, just enable adblock and don't give him a fucking dime.

He's clearly in it for the money and after months pass of no one buying a 4chan pass and no one donating he'll sell the site because he's a greedy fuck
>>
>>797776
You know, the third party archives likely have been a HUGE bandwidth hog over the years. I'm surprised he didn't do this sooner.
>>
>>797792
Catalog is now pass only!
>>
>>797792
Fuck off stupid weeaboo
>>
>>798037
Don't give him any ideas.
>>
File: 1382838693479.jpg (134KB, 418x505px) Image search: [Google]
1382838693479.jpg
134KB, 418x505px
>>797776

>Make 2nd party archives incredibly weird and hard to implement.
>>
>>797776
THIRD PARTY ARCHIVES DON'T HOTLINK YOU FUCKING KEKLORD

LITERALLY EVERYONE IN THIS ENTIRE THREAD IS RETARDED

RE-TAR-DED

NOBODY IN THIS THREAD OR THE REST OF /QA/ HAS ANY IDEA HOW A FUCKING COMPUTER WORKS
>>
>>798042
>REEEEEEEEE EVERYONE'S RETARDED BUT ME
kys
>>
>>798054
Sometimes everybody actually is retarded except me, and I'm not going to refuse to call it out out of a false sense of humility.
>>
>>798042
This is true. The technical part at least.

Copypasting for posterity :

in the interests of educating people:

HOTLINKING is when people put a link to 4CHAN'S SERVER onto their OWN PAGE. You visit their page, 4CHAN serves you the image, and wastes 4CHAN'S BANDWIDTH.

SCRAPING is when a bot visits a website and downloads an image to host on their OWN SERVER. When you visit the third-party archive, they use their OWN BANDWIDTH to serve you the image. It costs 4chan nothing, and 4chan cannot stop bots from visiting its website.

now, take everybody you know and kill them for having intolerable stupidity
>>
>>798255
they use 4chans bandwidth to scrape the images though.
>>
>>798257
Hotlinking serves the image from 4chan's server dozens or hundreds of times. Scraping the image serves the image from 4chan once.

Scrapers may cost 4chan a lot of bandwidth when they force 4chan to repeatedly serve updated text content, but each image is only downloaded once. In terms of images alone the existence of a scraper costs 4chan exactly as much as a user who opens every image on every page (which is quite a bit, maybe around 50 or 100 users worth.)

That said, if Hiroyuki were to implement hotlink protection, it's possible that people might be forced to update their scrapers.
>>
>>797793
Fuck you, I use 3rd party archives EVERY SINGLE DAY.
FUCK
>>
How could 3rd archives be taken down? 4chan does not own the posts.
>>
>>798284
Hiroyuki could sue them for violating the 4chan ToS, which prohibits the running of scrapers and download scripts.

The cost of a lawyer would be more than he would ever get from the kids running the archives, but he could theoretically do it if he wanted.
>>
>>797792
kill the catalog and make noko a necessity again. re enable sage.
>>
>>798263
Yes, cheap archive sites will have to buy their own bandwidth instead of stealing it, their problem.
Others will go as normal. They'll just check their bot still works, maybe code a bit for authorisations, but there's no reason for it to fail completely.

I don't mind having the practicality of local archives with the same navigation and working links along with no captcha and some feel good from supporting the site, but I prefer people who don't pay (whatever their reason) or don't use a pass to have access to archives too.
But not [vip] of course.
>>
GoogleBot probably uses way more bandwidth than third party archives do desu.
>>
File: 53429827_p0.png (102KB, 300x702px) Image search: [Google]
53429827_p0.png
102KB, 300x702px
>>797776
Now to convince him to look at blocking third party extensions and getting rid of both the catalogue and normalfag boards. These things were first discussed over a year ago. Downsize and bring 4chan closer to its original values.
>>
>>798284
>How could 3rd archives be taken down?
By implementing measures which break the traditional means of scraping content.
>4chan does not own the posts.
Irrelevant. 4chan has no obligation to make it easy for third parties use the content posted on the site nor the format used. This isn't a matter of copyright.
>>
>>799362
There is nothing that can distinguish a bot requesting content from a user requesting content. The only real way to stop a scraper is to prevent robots from accessing the page entirely, which means putting a captcha on the damn thing, which would kill the site entirely.
>>
Actually the thought of third party archives getting taken down is hilarious because it means the people leaving this site won't have ghostposting to fall back on.
>>
>>799363
>There is nothing that can distinguish a bot requesting content from a user requesting content.
You're wrong.
>which would kill the site entirely
Not remotely.
>>
>>799364
Think of all the newfag and generalfag tears who are incapable of using 4chan as their semi-permanent blog space and chatroom. Those fags rely on third party archives to keep their 24/7 circlejerks operational.
>>
>>799368
They will find a way without using 3rd party archive, like the loli marathon threads on /b/ is doing.
>>
>>797927
Then why not just leave until then? No use in watching the corpse of your best friend slowly rot away in front of you.

What honestly gets to me the most is that Hiro will probably do irreversible damage to 4chan in his drive to milk as much money out of us as possible. If he goes through with this scheme to get rid of third-party archives and make the 4chan one pass-only, then I will seriously start browsing other chans.
>>
>>799372
>like the loli marathon threads on /b/ is doing.
That's fine; they are doing it entirely themselves, and would be booted out of any board which wasn't /b/.
>>
>>799367
Really? Adding a captcha before you can view the fucking page wouldn't kill 4chan?
>>
>>799367
Human refuse town, population: (you)

Not only is it more complicated to differentiate bots from real people, but the measures required to differentiate bots from people (you ever seen that page saying "making sure you're not a bot" before it allows you on to the site? That's STILL defeatable, the way to defeat it isn't that pretty, but its doable.

All the while it just puts in an additional inconvenience for end users, especially those who have script filters, all for nothing.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.