[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I found an interesting study about the concept of "cont

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: 1367376697452.jpg (44KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
1367376697452.jpg
44KB, 450x600px
I found an interesting study about the concept of "containment boards", you should read it!

http://comp.social.gatech.edu/papers/cscw18-chand-hate.pdf

>In 2015, Reddit closed several subreddit —foremost among them r/fatpeoplehate and r/CoonTown—due to violations of Reddit’s anti-harassment policy. However, the effectiveness of banning as a moderation approach remains unclear: banning might diminish hateful behavior, or it may relocate such behavior to different parts of the site. We study the ban of r/fatpeoplehate and r/CoonTown in terms of its effect on both participating users and affected subreddits. - -
>Though many subreddits saw an influx of r/fatpeoplehate and r/CoonTown “migrants,” those subreddits saw no significant changes in hate speech usage. In other words, other subreddits did not inherit the problem. We conclude by reflecting on the apparent success of the ban, discussing implications for online moderation, Reddit and internet communities more broadly.
>>
>>1574921
If you think that reddit bit is fascinating you should look up what they did to /r/jailbait and the mod who created it
>>
The thing is, most people are conforming and few are free minded.
People stick to the norms of a community once established
>>
>>1574921
it's not interesting at all. it's talking about the decline of western civilization. on reddit you get banned if you don't agree to have your 8 year old daughter fellate brown minorities. meanwhile the chinese version has their government on sockpuppet accounts telling them china is the center of earth directly under heaven and chinese are the chosen people.

which do you think is going to succeed.
>>
>>1574925
Did they v& him? I sure hope so.
>>
Is Reddit's moderation based on board owners and a set of executive managers?
>>
>>1574937
Yeah that's the jist of it, on top of public shaming him first.
>>
>>1574940
It's kind of similar to 8gag in that anyone can create a subreddit and then they and whomever they chose become the mods of that subreddit.

The site has admins and paid staff who are above the individual subreddit mods and go around checking all the subreddits for illegal/unwanted/rulebreaking content that people try to hide.
>>
>>1574936
>telling them china is the center of earth directly under heaven and chinese are the chosen people.

That's because it's the truth. European hegemony is a historical anomaly that lasted only for 400 years. China will grow larger.
>>
>>1574944
Serves him right.
>>
the people who say deleting /pol/ will only cause their hate to spread to other parts of the site are wrong
>>
>>1574963
people will just see 4chan as reddit 2.0 and go to an alternative website. shutting down /pol/ is announcing you're now crazy libtards who shout drumpft and hate free speech. people are glued to youtube, google, and these other mega sites cause $$$ but not 4chan. reddit was always for liberals so them shutting down stuff they disagree with was natural. liberals only support free speech when it's attacking white men
>>
>>1574973
> this is what /pol/tards actually believe
>>
>>1575231
excuse me, I looking for a weeb who uses a bot to bump anime threads, have you seen him?
>>
>>1575232
¥He's still ban-evading
>>
>>1575231
the world already has reddit if they want to go get banned/censored for having opinions which are contrary to political correctness. it doesn't need 4chan to exist if it's for that as well. nobody started using anonymous so they could get thought policed by liberal cuckolds. there's a demand for anonymous discussion where you can say what's on your mind. there's no demand for somethingawful, reddit, and other libtard places which already exist.
>>
>>1574973
>people would leave
You mean /pol/tards? Yes it would be great if they left. They're a massive liability looming to get the site shut down sooner or later. The non-/pol/ 4chan would dance on /pol/'s grave.

/pol/ users clearly don't actually care about 4chan besides hiding behind it to make niggerhate threads and relentlessly propagate conspiracy theories with very little meddling from the mods. They take advantage of the weakness of the site's mods far more than its strength of free speech.

Let me define for you all factually what "free speech" really is. The first amendment of the United States Constitution DOES NOT PROTECT from:
>Obscenity (Miller test)
>Fraud aka any conspiracy or plan involving money
>Slander, defined as the use of untruths to harm others
>Imminent incitement of lawless action
>Regulation of advertisement

The main thing that just demolishes /pol/ as "muhfreespeech" is the slander and obscenity. What are first amendment protected opinions? If the statements are true. If the statements are opinions, 1st goes out the window pending:

>Use of hyperbolic language (which /pol/ mostly is composed of)
>If the statement is written, what was the context of its creation
>Does the context make it hard for a reader to interpret the truth

What /pol/ does pretty much round the clock is not really protected by free speech. It is protected by mods that do not really understand what free speech is and are too ignorant to learn. Leddit isn't "liberal" for shutting down hatespeech subleddits, it is law abiding which is expected of a large organization. If 4chan envisions itself as a remotely competent or equivalent entity then it would do the exact same thing just as a starting point for conversations about professionalism rather than shielding themselves in the muddy legal landscape of the internet for transparently clandestine purposes.
>>
>>1575329
If 4chan envisions itself as a remotely competent or equivalent entity

It doesn't.
>>
>>1575329
Why should 4chan care about how reddit runs their site?
/pol/ is shit because it's swarming with newfaggots and actively recruits them from other sites. It has nothing to do with hate speech, the law, or whatever. If you care about people using the word nigger or saying dumb shit, this is not the site for you.
>>
>>1575329
>hatespeech
no such thing. hate speech doesn't actually exist in american law or anywhere else in american society. america only has free speech and no such thing as hate speech.

i personally don't care. i don't believe you've got the right to life let alone the right to free speech. dismantle all the laws so fascist can take over and then liquidate you. the faster the west burns the better
>>
>>1575342
I don't really give a shit about racist speech so much as the endless lies and conspiracy that completely consumes /pol/. It reads like a bunch of teenage retards from Above Top Secret wandered in and had sex with edgy high school dropouts in their 50s. The sticky asks for "intelligent" discourse, oh really? Fucking really? What kind of brainwashed fucking delusion must a mod be under to even ask that of a populace where clearly everything is a -gate or (((them))) or some other murky unproven actor's fault beyond the realms of proof aka truth, i.e a populace whose foundation of rationale not only openly rejects intellect but often is not even under first amendment material? Why coddle that? Why protect it? They are unworthy.

The earth is flat. Vaccines cause autism. The president is a reptilian. Evolution isn't real. Climate change isn't real. God exists. None of the preceding is politics yet you see this shit daily on /pol/. It reads like a diary of insecure people who seek opinions like a reward stimuli; they love untruth and misinformation if it fits their views and only try worm their way around truths despite supposedly having their foot planted in delivering the hard truths. Their "truth" is too mixed in with feelings, and their opinions are founded in a social fabric of confirmation bias rather than facts. The place is a beacon of bold-faced lies and anti-intellectualism and that is what I truly despise about it. If it was composed of intellectuals given confidentiality in thought but who only accept things as far as proven facts reach, I could see myself actually loving the place. It ISN'T that though and it's a shame.
>>
>>1575414
If you don't like the level of discourse over at /pol/ you can simply not browse it. It's only your and everyone else's problem when it starts becoming a cancerous growth leaking onto the rest of the site and attracting hordes of people who don't belong here (which, yes, is what's currently happening, but it has more to do with the fact that /pol/ embraces newfags with open arms than /pol/ itself)
>>
>>1575365 #
One could look at the negative space by there not being a law actually just called "hatespeech". It's slander, libel and defamation technically. But it still is applicable to someone going far enough. The statements made are in public and as written pieces which qualifies them legally. It's just near-impossible to enforce so the burden of guilt eventually would be roped into the site leadership eventually, more likely than not if some guy gets bootybothered enough to raise a case. All it takes is some /pol/ raid on some fag gone wrong/too far, and this is a likely future scenario.

Reminder free speech only covers facts, not opinions. Also all the blacked/bleached shit all over the place on /pol/ quite often officially passes Miller test for obscenity, also not covered by 1st.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.