[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys, I think I figured it all out. What's wrong with the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

File: tubes.jpg (51KB, 400x487px) Image search: [Google]
tubes.jpg
51KB, 400x487px
Guys, I think I figured it all out. What's wrong with the internet that is.

Back in the day, by deviating from mainstream sites and just posting on oddball forums or even when playing online games it felt like you were really a part of that stereotypical internet world where you never know who anyone really is and nothing could be taken seriously.

This isn't just nostalgia or mistaken memories, we've just forgotten how that used to feel. Some things that might jogg your memory are to recall that we used to actually see warnings about that on TV or when registering for stuff.
"youtube celebrities" used to say it was more of a curse back then, some even claimed it ruined their lives, and that's because so few people used their real identities that being an internet meme actually would make you a target.
"Trolling" is literally a fishing method to make the bait _blend in_ with other fishes, and that word was used because that's exactly what trolling used to mean and they were much harder to spot meaning you couldn't always believe what you read (funny that today people call it "sincerity trolling" but back then we just called it trolling)

Today, by contrast, I can't even remember the last time I've seen (anywhere) a reminder to younger generations that you can't always trust things (or people aren't always who they seem) online.

I guess the phrase "it's a small world after all" applies to the history of the internet too. Everyone felt it was a much more crazy place than it really was and that resulted in a certain attitude toward everything. Now that the internet has become more tamed, standardized, more real world laws have been spilling over into cyberspace to make people accountable for shit, and "big data" has figured out that it's extremely profitable to create an internet where its second nature to sincerely share opinions and your identity
it seems that sort of wild west attitude is something barely even remembered by the people who lived it.
>>
File: bswp001_1024x768.jpg (158KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
bswp001_1024x768.jpg
158KB, 1024x768px
>>1560959
Agreed. Corporatization and monetization off the internet has ruined everything. What started as simple banner ads has turned into a monster and it's changed how everybody reacts to the internet for the worse.
>>
At least the pop-up wars are over
>>
bump for net neutrality implications
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.