[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you believe it is important to "Do one thing, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 1502286099039.jpg (414KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1502286099039.jpg
414KB, 1920x1080px
Do you believe it is important to "Do one thing, and do it well"?
>>
File: 1382311214638.png (735KB, 750x850px) Image search: [Google]
1382311214638.png
735KB, 750x850px
>>1545489
At the core of the OS, yes, absolutely. But when you cross the line into userspace then it might make more sense not to, as its more "user friendly" or intuitive to have larger monolithic applications.
This is why systemd is shit. The fact that systemd exists _at all_ today is testimony to the superior design philosophy of "the Unix way". If it weren't for the low level software of old adhering to the unix way then we would have had old crusty monolithic software that would be impossible to replace today.
Just as systemd will one day be old and crusty and impossible to replace. We're digging our own grave, and for no reason other than to walk right into redhats walled garden with our eyes closed just so they can be in charge.

It's retarded. Stay away from it. The Unix way will set you free.
>>
>>1545489
but that is windows chkdsk output not unix fsck output

unix doesnt even have "security descriptors"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
File: 1496675634065.jpg (816KB, 1450x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1496675634065.jpg
816KB, 1450x1800px
Absolutely, which is why I use runit as my init system.
>>
>>1545489
What a sexually arousing facial expression.
>>
The only thing that is important is birds.
>>
>>1546419
It wasn't really a contradiction but more just saying it's not absolutely necessary for high level things.
The really essential reason that we _need_ to adhere to the standard of "do one thing and do it well" is because we don't want things to dogpile on top of monolithic software.

If something just lives in userspace at the very top of the pyramid there's not really that much danger that we become dependent on it and can't replace it one day.
Although it might still be a good idea to use the Unix way all I was saying is it's less necessary, and maybe even some arguments could be made in favor of it when you consider tech illiterate users and how easy it is for them to understand software or get help with it.

But for low level system stuff, where "user friendliness" becomes irrelevant and where things can develop serious hard dependencies on other things is where it becomes really important for us to remember to keep to the Unix way.

So obviously systemd, being PID fucking 1, and an absolute monolithic beast is a terrible practice no matter how well it works (and it honestly doesn't even work that well)
>>
>>1546421
You seem very riled up. I fap to whatever I want and you can't stop me.
>>
Yes

>>1545586
But it has ACLs
>>
File: 43wy6erh.jpg (54KB, 572x468px) Image search: [Google]
43wy6erh.jpg
54KB, 572x468px
"do it right or not all" is my motto.

that's why i usually don't do anything..
>>
>>1545489
¥He's not the ace of all trades
Not gonna make it.
>>
>>1549061
???
>>
>>1545489
>>
>>1549712
Fuck off back to normieville with your question marks
>>
>>1549946
?!
>>
>>1545586
It's yukoOS
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.