[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You find yourself playing a game with your friend. It is played

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

You find yourself playing a game with your friend.

It is played with a deck of only 16 cards, divided into 4 suits:

Red, Blue, Orange and Green.

There are four cards in each suit:

Ace, King, Queen and Jack.

Ace outranks King, which outranks Queen, which outranks Jack - except for the Green Jack, which outranks every other card.

If two cards have the same face value, then Red outranks Blue, which outranks Orange, which outranks Green, again except for the Green Jack, which outranks everything.

Here's how the game is played: you are dealt one card face up, and your friend is dealt one card face down. Your friend then makes some true statements, and you have to work out who has the higher card, you or your friend. It's that simple!

Round 1:
You are dealt the Green Ace and your friend makes three statements:

1. My card is higher than any Queen.
2. Knowing this, if my card is more likely to beat yours, then my card is Blue. Otherwise it isn't.
3. Given all of the information you now know, if your card is more likely to beat mine, then my card is a King. Otherwise it isn't.

Who has the higher card, you or your friend?
>>
>>1508133
tl;dr lol
>>
>>1508133
He has the Blue Ace (higher)?
>>
I don't understand statement number 2.
>Knowing this, if my card is more likely to beat yours, then my card is Blue. Otherwise it isn't.
How can a card be more or less likely to beat it? The card is already decided. He also already knows "my" card.
>>
I have no friends. Checkmate.
>>
>>1508144
I think OP means to use the phrase "my card outranks yours". If he doesn't then I am also at the same loss as you.
>>
So far I can only narrow it down to the Blue Ace or any non-Blue King.
The Blue Ace outranks any queen. The Blue Ace beats my card and is also Blue. The Blue Ace beats my card and isn't a King.
Any non-Blue King outranks any queen. Any non-Blue King does not beat my card and isn't Blue. Any non-Blue King is beaten by my card and also a King.
I am trying to use the 2nd and 3rd statements as "if and only if" statements but I may be misreading those statements. Also I am replacing the "more likely to beat yours" wording with the wording I proposed in >>1508162.
>>
My friend
>>
>1. My card is higher than any Queen.
His card is one of these: Red Ace, Red King, Blue Ace, Blue King, Orange Ace, Orange King, Green King, Green Jack - 8 cards.
>2. Knowing this, if my card is more likely to beat yours, then my card is Blue. Otherwise it isn't.
Cards among the aforementioned that would beat the Green Ace: Red Ace, Blue Ace, Orange Ace, Green Jack - 4 cards out of 8 (50% chance.) Not "more likely to beat" the Green Ace, and thus, not Blue. This leaves the following cards: Red Ace, Red King, Orange Ace, Orange King, Green King, Green Jack: 6 cards.
>3. Given all of the information you now know, if your card is more likely to beat mine, then my card is a King. Otherwise it isn't.
Cards among the aforementioned that would lose to the Green Ace: Red King, Orange King, Green King - 3 cards out of 6 (50% chance again.) This leaves the following cards: Red Ace, Orange Ace, Green Jack, all of which beat the Green Ace. Your friend has the higher card.
>>
OP is missing...
>>
>>1510704
I have hope! He'll return and give us the answer!
>>
Ripped it from: https://www.brainbashers.com/showpuzzles.asp?puzzle=ZGQN

Answer: Your friend.

You are dealt the Green Ace.

By #1: your friend's card is higher than any Queen, so your friend can only have one of these cards: Red Ace, Blue Ace, Orange Ace, Red King, Blue King, Orange King, Green King, Green Jack.

By #2: 4 of these 8 cards could beat your card, so your friend's card is not more likely to beat yours, so your friend's card is not blue. Leaving Red Ace, Orange Ace, Red King, Orange King, Green King, Green Jack.

By #3: of the remaining 6 cards, your card can beat 3, so your card is not more likely to beat your friend's, so your friend's card is not a King. Leaving Red Ace, Orange Ace, Green Jack - all of which beat your card. QED.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.