[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

daily reminder that most early (2003-2006) 4chan memes were stolen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: 1498071314121.png (7KB, 413x366px) Image search: [Google]
1498071314121.png
7KB, 413x366px
daily reminder that most early (2003-2006) 4chan memes were stolen from Something Awful and 2chan
>>
>>1444669
By definition you can't steal a meme, and even if you could most of us came from those 2 sites so the point is moot anyway
Thanks for visiting and I hope you're enjoying your first week on 4chan :)
>>
>>1444671
So it's okay that redit steals our memes then?

I'm taking note of that
>>
>>1444677
>our
go back
>>
>>1444677
since 2013 4chan has been stealing reddit memes. All new memes come from reddit meme pages now. 4chan has become one of the slowest sites on the internet when its used to be one of the fastest.
>>
>>1444678
Where? to funnyjunk?

Is that site even still a thing

Anyways, I've been here since 08

I'm not an oldfag, but I'm certainly not a newfag either
>>
>>1444669
>daily
I don't think so, pepe.
But what you said is true. Most of the users were from there. They took the memes with them.
>>1444693
Maybe if you don't count /pol/ memes
>>
>>1444709
name three (3) memes you think are /pol/ originals
>>
>>1444677
Not that anon, but you're completely misunderstanding everything. You're looking at everything through a "meme filter" and confusing yourself.

I've always thought that a really good exercise everyone should do from time to time is to rethink some of your views on the internet and humor with the word "meme" just replaced by its definition.
A meme is just an entity (an element of behavior, or in the case of internet it honestly boils down to nothing more than "jokes") that spreads around.

Don't you see how fucking stupid it is to sit here and talk about which sites are stealing jokes from each other?
Old 4chan was not about meme production (read: joke, or humorous behavior production).
That's a very modern mentality created by social media because social media sites are actually really awkward for discussion and humor. The best they can do is have humor that comes in little re-postable parcels called "memes" that they can "share" and get likes/upvotes on.
The reason 4chan is looked back on so fondly by so many is because of the atmosphere. When it comes to humor it was more about how the humor was used and why, not about the humor itself. That's also why people looking back at old 4chan memes think it was lame because they are taking it out of context and analyzing it with modern eyes where they're used to just considering each "joke" as its own individual thing instead of considering the whole and how _fun_ it just was to be a part of it as compared to today.

So a site like reddit "stealing our memes" doesn't just mean that they are adopting our humor. They are one of those social media sites I mentioned above. They take shit and make it lame because the format of reddit is to turn all humor into these little karma-farmable pills they can swallow.

But on the other hand 4chan taking humor/jokes from those other sites you mentioned didn't require us to warp them to fit the posting format here, so no harm done.
>>
>>1444715
ron paul memes, the merchant, kekistan, pepe as a religion, trump hats on anime girls, moonman as a racist, milk is racist, OK sign is racist
>>
>>1444726
moonman as a racist came from ytmnd years before /pol/ was even a thing
>>
File: .gif (14KB, 330x570px) Image search: [Google]
.gif
14KB, 330x570px
>>1444730
Moonman is pretty old so I don't really doubt that.
But the point is /pol/ makes tons of memes.
The other shit boards like /b/ are now recycled cancer from social media sites and meme aggregators.
>>
>>1444726
>ron paul memes
thats 1
>the merchant
it was an old illustration that an anon found and turned into an exploitable. not a /pol/ original
>kekistan
reddit
>pepe as a religion
/r9k/
>trump hats on anime girls
thats two (2)
>moonman as a racist
ytmnd 2007
>milk is racist
someone not /pol/ said milk is racist
>OK sign is racist
some else claimed that, not /pol/

/pol/ is great at adopting old memes from other places and the cancer is so huge and young that litterally anything is new and awesome to them
>>
>>1444730
Its the only meme I can think of that actually improved with age. Some of those moonman albums are genuinely good/funny.
>>
>>1444717
Excellent longpost I recommend it
>>
>>1444743
I hear this a lot. Its Okay when /pol/ steals memes because "they make them better" or "make them relevant again"
>>
>>1444740
>we wuz kangz
(3)
>>
>>1444717
old 4chan was never about discussion

the closest boards to old 4chan are /bant/ /jp/ and [s4s]
>>
File: madethis.png (37KB, 440x295px) Image search: [Google]
madethis.png
37KB, 440x295px
>>1444748
That was already a meme with black people and /pol/ found it and now its a /pol/ meme. just because its also a meme on /pol/ doesnt make it a /pol/ original. The black hebrew isrealites where a thing when I was in middle school in 2000
>>
>>1444748
Pretty sure that started on /int/, but I may be wrong
>>
>>1444740
>the merchant
Actually, the person that posted those pictures made colored versions on 8/pol/
>>1444753
It started on /v/ but the edits were mostly made on /int/
>>
File: 1485211131289.png (554KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
1485211131289.png
554KB, 640x427px
>>1444753
https://archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/25595720/#25600951
I'm not 100% sure because I don't think the /int/ archives go back this far.
>>1444752
>That was already a meme with black people and /pol/ found it and now its a /pol/ meme.
Hmm?
So since someone had a similar thought once they made everything else that is related?

There are plenty of other less influential memes that /pol/ made. For example, pic related.
And stefan molyneux memes. Jeb memes. The memes when that ambassador or whatever got shot.
>>
File: the-great-aldini.jpg (46KB, 557x765px) Image search: [Google]
the-great-aldini.jpg
46KB, 557x765px
>>1444758
>>
>>1444751
I never said it was just about discussion, please reread.
There's like a whole paragraph in there about the atmosphere. Humor is still a big part of it, but that doesn't mean it was all about treating jokes and humor as individual entities called "memes".

If you want proof of that just go look at some of the older memes and a lot of them had sort of "rules" to them (think "duck/rick roll", or "EFG") There was a culture around the humor and how to use it (the atmosphere).

My whole point, anon, was that nobody should care if humor gets used on other sites, it's only when it gets completely ruined that people find it annoying. Social media sites like reddit are constitutionally _incapable_ of mimicking the atmosphere old 4chan had.
But it seems today that the opposite occurred, 4chan now mimics the atmosphere of sites like reddit, and it's mostly because those sites have completely changed the way people look at humor. Now all anyone talks about to measure the worth of a community is its "meme production" instead of just how much fun it is to be a part of it with more organic humor, instead of the pre-packaged humor we have today.
>>
>>1444669
Wrong.

Also it's meant to deflect from the fact that modern 4chan is intellectually bankrupt since they can't create OC and have to recycle the same memes to the point they're retroactively forced. (See Wojack and pepe.)

Even if OP was right after 4chan never being original, at least they had enough dignity at the time not to cling to the same memes for 5 years straight and continue to create new content. As opposed to what we're seeing now.
>>
>>1444740
>Ron Paul's 'It's happening!' started before /pol/ was created.

>trump has on anime girls was Reddit

/pol/ has created nothing original.
>>
>>1444669
Who cares about epin maymays? I hate this obsession with them, every single joke or interesting thing has to be the latest meme and it just feels so forced, as if this place has just become a parody of itself instead of something genuine.
>>
>>1444951
>intellectually bankrupt

holy shit you people are great

you act guys as if early 4chan was some sort of wonderland of creativity and intelligent discussion

news flash retard: early 4chan was complete and utter garbage

take the youtube comments section, add the shitposting from /s4s/ and the weebshit from /jp/ and you get early 4chan

It was juvenile, perverted, autistic, and was populated almost entirely by shitposters, pedos, weebs, and people who were banned from other websites (usually SA)

Nobody remembers the shit though because nobody bothered to document it
>>
>>1445020
>It was juvenile, perverted, autistic, and was populated almost entirely by shitposters, pedos, weebs, and people who were banned from other websites (usually SA)

And that's exactly what made 4chan so great.
>>
>>1445020
Says the newfag who wasn't around for 4chan's golden era.
>>
>>1445029
I wasn't around for it because there was no 4chan golden era
>>
Tis necessary to do away with the insane frogposters, who vanquish their 4chan, for the 4chan cannot fight back? Twas on the front page this morning: a frogposters with 4chan pass who had spammed his 3 boards. My prayers are with the OPs who lost their threads. I am truly sorry for your loss.
>>
how is thred ignored
how thred get hidden??
>>
>>1445047
You would say there wasn't a golden era, because you weren't around for it. Newfag.
>>
>>1445020
What do you expect, its waaaay overly mythologised by people.
>>
>>1444967
This
I don't know why people are even discussing /pol/ like its the heart of 4chan now, or ever, they are hardly representative of the rest of the site
>>
If I posted on other sites like I do here, I would get banned.
I don't even belong because there's too many americans compared to others but oh well.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.