[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one know how much they know if they can't know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 95.jpg (14KB, 310x314px) Image search: [Google]
95.jpg
14KB, 310x314px
How does one know how much they know if they can't know what they don't know?
>>
File: 1498428545008.gif (492KB, 500x254px) Image search: [Google]
1498428545008.gif
492KB, 500x254px
>>
I have an answer for that, but you don't really mean the question, as you made this thread only for the sake of making it.
>>
>>1432636
They know what they know. They know that there are unknowns. Neither is quantifiable.
>>
>>1432663
How do you know?
>>
>How does one know how much they know...
Tests
>if they can't know what they don't know?
Studying
>>
>>1432713
I am smart enough to realize the answer.
The answer is quantify your knowledge.
How much do you know?
Turn absolutely everything you know of into binary code, and see how many bits you need to store all of your knowledge. The result will be an absolute number. Like an intenger number, such as 10, 6384684864, 131323, 0, or 41, you know how much you know. The key thing is that it is not something relative, It does not depend on anything else beyond your own knowledge.
>>
>>1432663
All threads are made for the sake of making them since 4chan is entertainment.
>>
>>1432762
How do I quantify my knowledge with respect to all pontential knowledge?
>>
>>1432636
I don't know but I know that you don't know that I can't know how much don't know.
>>
>>1432762
>2017
>being this stupid

You are four centuries late with your answer Anon. And you even stated you consider yourself intelligent. Good job.
>>
>>1432771
What did you not understand about my statement? It's impossible, because you don't know what the potential knowledge is. However, you can get an absolute number. You simply turn everything into computer code. Synthesize all your knowledge into its purest, rawest form, 1s and 0s, and then count like you count fingers, and you'll get a number and that's how much shit you know.
>>1432771
Shut the fuck up. You are a brainlet with no knowledge or imagination who does not belong on serious discussions, you get the fuck out of here because you are neither asking questions nor answering things you have a good understanding off.
>>
>>1432781
Well if there is not a way to know how much pontential knowledge there is then do you think there is an infinite amount of pontential knowledge or is there a finite amount of knowledge?
>>
The answer to everything is null.
>>
>>1432793
Before I answer this question, here is a quick disclaimer. Humans are very small creatures with even smaller brains, our brains are closer to the size of an atom than to the size of the planet we're living on, and this brain that has such a small scope of existence when compared to complexity and scale of the Universe simply probably can not reveal what the absolute truth about anything is. For all you know, I could be the only sentient being in the Universe, and nothing beyond my own eyesight exists. And linguistics is extremely stupid too, we are limited to the words that exist to describe any ideas we possibly have.
With that being said, there are 5 answers to your question: maybe both, maybe infinite amount of knowledge, maybe finite amount of knowledge, maybe somewhere in between, maybe the 5 of these are correct, but in any case at least one of them is true.
I'll use numbers to explain each one of those.
Let's start with finite knowledge. It's easy to understand how finite systems work. For example, how many integers are there between 0 and 10? 9. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. You could know just a few of those, you could know none, or you could know them all.
The problem starts when you think of infinity because there are different levels of infinity.
What is infinite knowledge?
Infinite knowledge implies an infinite amount of things exist to be "acknowledged".
Look, I just changed my mind. I don't feel like explaining this extreme degree of abstraction to someone like you. You could be just trolling me for all I know. I was going to explain higher dimensions and shit, and ask you to imagine an infinite amount of things that are already infinite, and then ask you to imagine an infinite things of such infinity, and even go on about the maze that is Quantum Mechanics and the limits of the Universe, but there's no point. Fuck it and whatever.
>>
>>1432811
You don't have to explain the basics of infinities to me I am at least familiar with the reals, extended reals and hyperreals and the differences between them. If it helps I do have a limited college understanding of Quantum Mechanics and some of the ideas in cosmology, so please continue.
>>
>>1432839
No.
>>
>>1432871
ok
>>
>>1432636
Dumb meido.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.