[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

One of the most striking differences I think between 4chan 10

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: 220px-Joseph_McCarthy.jpg (13KB, 220x263px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Joseph_McCarthy.jpg
13KB, 220x263px
One of the most striking differences I think between 4chan 10 years ago and today is the conception of self moderation. There used to be a much stronger idea that posters themselves were responsible for board quality and it was everyone's duty to be hostile to any encroachments made by the uninitiated. "Lurk more" for instance used to be common vernacular and it's all but gone today. Part of the reason for that is of course that it used to be much more difficult for someone who literally just arrived to blend in. 4chan was somewhat of an enigma for anyone who hadn't spent their due time learning the ropes and 3rd party resources telling you everything you needed to know were scare. Even making a post could be baffling if you didn't know how to Noko. There were innumerable ways to trip up, reveal your newfaggotry, and be ridiculed which frankly intimidated a good number of posters.

Now, however, 4chan doesn't have that same level of impenetrability. It's porous with a great deal of cultural exchange with the rest of the internet. One could easily blend in on almost any popular board by posting the exact same memes that are routinely found on the most mainstream websites in the world. The effect this had had on 4chan is obvious to anyone who has been here long enough to see it happen.

The end result of this exchange is that popular boards are no longer willing or able to self-moderate. I think invisible sages have had some degree of negative effect for this too. Despite moot's own narrow conception that "sages were not downvotes", they were a useful tool for existing posters to exercise a degree of immunology on their boards by shaming undesirable posters and content. Deprived of all these tools and shunted in favor of increased visibility and convenience for new posters, existing posters can no longer act as guardians of their own boards.
>>
Accurate.
>>
No one has 4chan pride anymore.
It's just "that shitposting website that's different from reddit"
>>
How much has 4chan's traffic increased by since 2014?
>>
>>1425322
Twofold, I believe. There's a graph that gets posted somewhat often here on /qa/, but I don't have it saved.
>>
>>1425127
we still self moderate. you just sound butthurt because people don't hate the things you hate.
>>
>>1425322
>>1425325
Traffic =/= posters. The site doubled in numbers but the overall speed stayed the same, most of the newcomers are probably just bots monitoring the site after the excessive amounts of shooting threats coming from /r9k/ and /pol/.
>>
>>1425588
>the overall speed stayed the same

That's wrong.
>>
>>1425584
who is 'we'
>>
>>1425127
Blame the "not your secret club" faggots.
>>
>>1425127
>>1425838
>muh self moderation
t. mad /a/utists
>>
What you are referring to as "self moderation" is, in fact, feeding trolls.
>>
>>1425844
go suck the dick of rapeape back at >>>/pol/ faggot
>>
File: phone_posters.jpg (88KB, 1214x403px) Image search: [Google]
phone_posters.jpg
88KB, 1214x403px
Just gonna leave this here.
>>
>>1425861
>that slow decline since miud 2011
Wat happened?
>>
>>1425127
You're putting the blame in the wrong place, it isn't that 4chan posters have become more like the rest of the internet, its that people have become more internet savvy and can blend in a lot easier to almost any community
>>
>>1425908
> it isn't that 4chan posters have become more like the rest of the internet
I totally disagree. The average 4chan poster today as more in common with the average redditor than the 4chan poster of 2007.
>>
>>1425908
I'd say it's probably both and we kinda met halfway, you can't deny that the average poster is more tolerant of bullshit just as much as everyone else learned how to adapt to the internet.
>>
Bring back visible sages
>>
So then there's no saving whatever you thought 4chan used to be. It has changed. Now embrace the present and do something interesting with what we have here. You're all smart, dedicated people. I'm sure you can come up with something to do with the current state of things.
>>
>>1425127
Blablabla a bunch of intricate thoughts to describe a very simple phenomenon: chaos. When the user basis grows, so does its level of unpredictability and therefore it becomes susceptible to changes much more easily. That is to say that more users equal less attachment to the past and less focus on the quality. It is truly a phenomenon that - I'm tired of writing go fuck yourself this site is no longer worthy of care. We ruined it.
>>
>>1426375
Who is 'we'
>>
>>1425127
This is why people come to /qa/ and whine about boards like /a/, /r9k/, /jp/, /pol/.
These boards will still call you out for being a faggot.
>>
>>1426580
/r9k/ and /pol/ are far beyond being able to self moderate. The speed of r9k in particular more than doubled in 2014 and combined with the flagrant shitposting aided by moot turning off the robot it essentially became a different board entirely.
>>
>>1425127
>>1425908
If they can blend in easily then what's the problem?
>>
>>1426580
fuck off retard
>>
>>1426600
Because they only blend in by making 4chan more like the rest of the internet. It's a sign that 4chan's own culture is becoming indistinguishable from reddit, tumblr and twitter. Turning this site into the same kind of bland homogenized shit that can be found anywhere else.
>>
>>1426605
Nationalism is a mental disorder.
>>
>>1426608
Internationalism is pathologically Jewish.
>>
>>1426608
Ah, what can I say to you to make you understand? Maybe you don't mind seeing the exact kind of lame-brain parroted replies found on every 13 year old's twitter account reposted on every 4chan board, eroding their individual identities, and perhaps you have no problem with every board on 4chan being practically indistinguishable in content from not only each other but from facebook and reddit as well, but I for one am not. One of the things I always cherished about 4chan was that each individual board had its own customs and identity, it gave browsing each board a unique experience and helped uphold content by clearly delineating in-group users who had spent the time familiarizing themselves with the culture from those who had no 'skin the game' who hadn't invested the time to learn those ropes and assimilate.
>>
>>1425127
the only difference is that you are ten years older.
>>
>>1425861
r/The_Donald took over this joint and won't leave. That's about the size of it
>>
>>1426640
I suppose the scenery never changes to a blind man.
>>
>>1425862
as sites get old, people stop browsing.

Internet in gringoland is fast enough to post without a PC now, too
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.