[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will there be a time when YouTube completely replaces instruction

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: b21bd41625b3e4150e0a68b4759be5e9.jpg (661KB, 2500x1700px) Image search: [Google]
b21bd41625b3e4150e0a68b4759be5e9.jpg
661KB, 2500x1700px
Will there be a time when YouTube completely replaces instruction manuals and textbooks for education?
Nowadays I learn most of my information for university courses through other's educational videos on my own time. Is this something most people will be doing as well in the future?
>>
>>1411987
>and textbooks for education?
>and textbooks

you're cute, but no, universities will always bleed you dry for the newest edition of their books, claiming the previous year's became obsolete
>>
>>1411993
I don't buy any text books, I don't even pirate them.
>>
Anyhow,
I'm referring to the common practice switching from physical literature to spoken videos, not the ineptitude of educational institutions.
>>
>>1411994
ok well if you're gonna be asking rhetorical questions then i shouldn't've even replied, but textbooks for universities are a billion dollar industry and they don't fancy letting it go
>>
>>1411993
I bought like two textbooks in four years of college.
>>
>>1411997
Why does the industry or the word of others matter?
If one medium is better than the other then people will just stop buying the recommended textbooks.

You think universities can control how people learn?
>>
>>1412000
You are coming off as very naive right now
>>
>>1412004
If you don't want to type up a popper response it's best you don't.
Frankly it seems as if you want to profess yourself to be mentally superior to me which is by far the most childish action.
>>
>>1412006
Baby, I don't have time to sit here and explain to you how the world works. If you think you're right then go ahead believing it. Who cares?
>>
>>1411987
Hopefully never. I find videos very obnoxious for instructional / educational purposes when there isn't any video footage to justify it and it's just somebody reading text. It's much more troublesome to change the speed or look backwards or forwards or skim.
>>
>>1411987
Hopefully not. Going through a series of video lectures is incredibly slow compared to reading a textbook.

Textbook prices are overinflated though.
I've had professors tell us not to buy the book and pirate a copy (sometimes they even gave links to download).
>>
>>1411987
>>
I can't think of anyone looking at a resumé and seeing youtube and taking it as an accredited education.
>>
I think there's a pretty big resistance towards the expenses of college these days here in the US, but I doubt youtube is the way to go. I'd love to see independent sites appear, but another thing under the Google umbrella is a mistake.
>>
>>1412480
You could list the videos you watched lol.
Maybe a small startup wouldn't throw it straight into the trash.
>>
>>1413776
For improved chances be sure to point out that your education is "disruptive" and "innovative".
>>
>>1413790
Innovative, modern and disruptive autodidact educational techniques.
>>
File: image.gif (488KB, 225x203px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
488KB, 225x203px
No

Also, how come American textbooks are that expensive? Hundreds of dollars for one? Most in my country are typically less than $10 per book
>>
>>1415379
The international editions are priced cheaper because they know US students can afford more. It's not uncommon for US students to buy the international edition of a text if it's not that different to save money. Trouble is that textbooks are assigned by the professor and may have exercises you need to do in them, and if the exercises in the book you buy don't match what the professor assigns, you're screwed unless you can borrow the text from someone else.
>>
>>1411987
>>1411987
>>
>>1415379
Because capitalism is trash
>>
File: 1443647175624.png (141KB, 433x457px) Image search: [Google]
1443647175624.png
141KB, 433x457px
>>1411987
You know what I miss? I miss being able to google whatever computer related problem I had at the time and find a simple post on some tech support forum that explains how to solve it in text. These days, everything is on fucking Youtube. I don't want to watch a ten minutes long Youtube video to find a solution when that could have easily been solved by like two paragraphs of text.
>>
>>1416863
I feel the same, those 10 minutes videos for simple technical problems are such a massive waste of time.
>>
>>1412000
>You think universities can control how people learn?

At my university, each textbook has a code in it that you need to enter in order to access your homework/syllabus/class schedule.

Each code is unique, so not only does it force you to buy the textbook, but it also stops you from pirating or even buying a used copy.
>>
>>1415379
>Professor writes or collaborates on textbook
>Receives cut of profits from that book's sales.
>Price of book is $200-$300
>Forces classes that he teaches to somehow require that book.
>Makes shit loads of money off of book sales.

That's how.
>>
I'd like to engage in self learning but I'm not motivated enough for it. Apparently someone is working on the issue of credits from self learning.
>>
>>1419609
For a price like coursera and udacity is doing?
>>
>>1411987
>>
>>1411987
>>
>>1411987
>>
>>1415379
Because profit comes before society. American colleges are businesses.
>>
I hope so.
>>
>>1411987
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.