[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should i read The Temple of the Golden Pavilion or The Sea

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: qa showering.jpg (2MB, 2499x3537px) Image search: [Google]
qa showering.jpg
2MB, 2499x3537px
Should i read The Temple of the Golden Pavilion or The Sea of Fertility?
>>
Will you only read one, two if the first is good or both regardless?
>>
>>1409173
Why not both?
>>
>>1409173
It's time to put away your childish games and become an adult.
>>
>>1409963
Those are novels by the famous Japanese author Mishima Yukio. Maybe you should take your own advice.
>>
Has anyone read these? Are they good?
>>
I'm not really into hard literature.
Modern day reality/4chan is about taking things in chunks and multitasking.
>>
>>1410852
Just because things are a certain way that doesn't mean it's a good thing
>>
>>1412552
Autism
>>
>>1412552
Don't listen to >>1412560
The first one is about Golden Pavilion (duh)
The second is about reincarnation.
>>
I got a copy of Bashō's Narrow Road to the Interior (奥の細道) at a used book store a week or so ago.
>>
How many pages and how wide is the font.
>>
File: 1498158224265.jpg (16KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1498158224265.jpg
16KB, 256x256px
>>1409173
Ignore these mongrels and read Pavilion.

I haven't read Mishima in a while, the most recent was The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea in October. Only read that one if you're a fan.
>>
>>1414396
You're one activated almond
>>
>>1413894
How is it?
>>
>>1417441
I've only read the introduction and a few pages but it seems interesting. It has a ton of explanatory notes, it's like some Shakespeare editions that alternate between a page of notes and a page of the text. The only things I don't like are that the translator translates place names and puts the original name in a note (like he calls 黒髪山 ``mount dark hair''); I would have preferred the opposite, and that the haiku parts only have romaji and a translation; I'd like it if the original were there too.
>>
>>1409173
>>
>>1418510
I really enjoyed what little Basho I've read, though it was also in translation. Hope you like it.
>>
File: Yukio MIshima's severed head.jpg (9KB, 209x298px) Image search: [Google]
Yukio MIshima's severed head.jpg
9KB, 209x298px
>>1409173
Temple of the Golden Pavillion I found hard to read past 30 pages or so, but I had the same problem with Spring Snow (got about halfway through the book). A friend of mine read the whole Sea of Fertility series and speaks highly of it. I enjoyed Mishima's first book most of all, Confessions of a Mask, so that's where I'm coming from. Mishima is a weird fucking dude.
>>
>>1422784
Even there he looks so cool
>>
I wish I was into reading but I don't know where to start, the only books I've read in my life were history, engineering and math books.
>>
>>1409173
>>
>>1422790
>I don't know where to start
Whatever you're interested in. Read synopses, read about writers' lives, search through lists, and find books that pique your curiosity.
>>
>>1422790
Beowulf, Shakespeare, Chaucer, Tolkien, etc. should be easy pickings for somebody with your interests.
>>
>>1422784
I normally weigh the value of literature not just by entertainment but also a message or contemplative idea you can take away from it and return to. I'll have to reread it now to see if my opinion has changed, I thought it was at least interesting.
>>
>>1422790
uh....Harry Potter?
>>
>>1422790
Check out some short stories and novellas by famous authors. Dubliners, The Metamorphosis, Ficciones, A Rose for Emily, etc.
>>
>>1422790
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>1426181
greeks didnt make any
>>
>>1425449
Nice try, shill.

http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/339710-clinton-praises-harry-potter-series
>>
>>1409173
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vziFNu82Z_E
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.