[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The tenth degree of humility is that he be not ready and

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: piety.jpg (23KB, 450x334px) Image search: [Google]
piety.jpg
23KB, 450x334px
>The tenth degree of humility is that he be not ready and quick to laugh, for it is written, "The fool lifts up his voice in laughter" (Eccles. 21:23).

>The eleventh degree of humility is that when a monk speaks he do so gently and without laughter, humbly and seriously, in few and sensible words, and that he be not noisy in his speech. It is written, "A wise man is known by the fewness of his words" (Sextus, Enchidirion, 134 or 145).

And from the Oriental Tradition:

>The multitude of men look satisfied and pleased; as if enjoying a full banquet, as if mounted on a tower in spring. I alone seem listless and still, my desires having as yet given no indication of their presence. I am like an infant which has not yet smiled. I look dejected and forlorn, as if I had no home to go to.

From St. Augustine:

>For what pleasure hath it to see in a mangled carcass, what will make you shudder? And yet if it be lying near, they [the masses] flock thither, to be made sad, and to turn pale... From this disease in curiosity are all those strange sights exhibited in the theatre. Hence men go on to search out the hidden powers of nature (which is beside our end), which to know profits not, and wherein men desire nothing but to know.

To delight in the misfortune of others is folly. For what does it say about you, that the substance of your life, around which you construct your identity, comes from without, from the spectacles of your time, and not from within? You are, then, not a product of your own deliberation, not an exercise of your own will, but merely a reactive leech, sustained only by calamity, by vulgarity, by sensuality. You only know yourself by what you feel and what you see. Quick to laugh, quick to worry, quick to anger, like a child. For it is a sign of vulgarity, to jump at every opportunity to make yourself known, to comment on every report of the day.
>>
Think of how easily your mood is affected by what you see on the news, or on this website. This is why you are unhappy. Because every day you shed responsibility for your own happiness onto something else. "I am too anxious to think about how I can improve myself and my mind, better go find something to distract myself with. Better go alleviate myself from myself, and yield to the current of a chaotic world." This is your sin, and it is fueled by the triviality of politics.
>>
Think of how you chose a douchebag that gets shekels and adulation for playing with a ball as your illustration.
>>
>>139540660
I see I have drawn you in with spectacle, and you have disregarded my writing. For shame.
>>
>>139541539
Symbolism is important. Better luck next time.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.