[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stephen King’s ‘It’ Is Bad Because It’s Full Of ‘White,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: 1475229417743.gif (2MB, 610x327px) Image search: [Google]
1475229417743.gif
2MB, 610x327px
http://dailycaller.com/2017/08/28/scholar-stephen-kings-it-is-bad-because-its-full-of-white-straight-able-bodied-males/?utm_campaign=atdailycaller&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

>The College Fix reported Monday that the “Master Lecturer of Rhetoric” Hansen claims that the movie and the novel it’s based on suffer from underlying problems in the form of toxic (or hegemonic) masculinity..

>Writing in the summer issue of the journal Science Fiction Film and Television, Hansen says that King’s “nostalgia for underdog boyhood” in some ways challenges “traditional concepts of hegemonic masculinity,” but adds that the protagonists themselves assume “hegemonic masculinity” by standing up to their bullies.

>“While this heroic underdog character is in some ways a challenge to traditional concepts of hegemonic masculinity, the challenge is incomplete, in that he remains white, straight and able-bodied,” she writes, adding that they’re only capable of becoming heroes through the “marginalization of female characters, black characters, gay characters and characters with disabilities.”

>The scholar claims that characters like Henry Bowers “police the heterosexuality (and thus masculinity) of the males with terms such as ‘sissy,’ ‘baby’, and ‘girly boy’” until the bully gets his due. Of course, the whole point of the character is that he’s a bully—so it’s unclear why Hansen would expect for him to behave any other way.

>Hansen goes on to state that there’s a lot to admire in King’s kinship with awkward nerds, but the makeup of the mostly white, straight boys “can be vexing, especially for non-white, female or queer readers”—a claim unsupported by King’s many readers who don’t necessarily identify with his characters based on their race and gender. After all, identity comes in many forms.

I can't tell what is satire or not anymore.
>>
>>139535209
Stephen King may be an anti trump faggot, but he knows who butters his bread. It would have been better if he made the film 99% nigger so that it would have flopped.
>>
File: Character-homey.jpg (38KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
Character-homey.jpg
38KB, 420x420px
>>139535682

Should "It" be a nigger too?
>>
>>139535209
It takes place in fucking maine. What do they want? All the fucking somalians there to be the main characters?
>>
>>139535209
>I can't tell what is satire or not anymore.
They obviously didn't read the book, because it starts with the murder of a gay man.
>>
>>139537524
nonono they want to import the somalians.
>>
It's funny because paedophile Stephen king is a total shitlib but of course he still gets whipped in the public square for his sins
>>
File: 14819057759890.jpg (66KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
14819057759890.jpg
66KB, 1000x562px
>>139537433
Yes, because its 2017
>>
>>139535209
Why is King hiding the black New Englanders?
WE WUZ IN FIFTIES RURAL MAINE
TEACH THE CONTROVERSY
>>
>>139537764
Well, at least he has been long used to this. There is an interesting passage in "On Writing" where he says that not a day goes by he doesn't receive angry letters. People accusing him of being racist or homophobic or whatnot, because some characters in his novels hurl around insults like "nigger," or "faggot," or whatever. But he refuses to cave in to these people because in his estimation, a novelist's job is "telling the truth." And that includes telling the truth about how people talk out on the street. So even though King is a shitlib, I can respect him for that at least.
Henry Bowers using words like "sissy" and "girly boy" and so on, is in line with that philosophy. That's simply how this person would talk if he was real, hence why King will let him talk that way. He aims to write truthfully so it resonates with the experiences of his readers. So of course it's gonna displease radfems who judge a work only by how well it parrots their personal values back to them and uses all the proper newspeak.

>>139535209
>I can't tell what is satire or not anymore.
Me neither.
>>
Is it just me who always thought stephen king was shit?
>>
There's a whole chapter about le evil racist men killing the honorable, talented, succesful and cool black men. Come on.
>>
>>139539420
>But he refuses to cave in to these people because in his estimation, a novelist's job is "telling the truth."
we'll see how long that lasts.
>>
>>139540768
Of course, that passage is almost 20 years old by now and the stream of angry letters/eMails about how "problematic" his books are probably has only increased since then. But I'd be seriously surprised if he caves after decades of experience with these types of self important assholes. In contrast to a hack like Rowling who will fall before the slightest hint of peer pressure, I do believe King is more steadfast a person.

I dug out the passage in question for those interested:
>The point is to let each character speak freely, without regard to what the Legion of Decency or the Christian Ladies' Reading Circle may approve of. To do otherwise would be cowardly as well as dishonest, and believe me, writing fiction in America as we enter the 21st century is no job for intellectual cowards. There are a lot of would-be censors out there, and although they may have different agendas, they all want basically the same thing: for you to see the world they see... or at least shut up about what you DO see that's different. They are agents of the status quo. Not necessarily bad guys, but dangerous guys if you happen to believe in intellectual freedom.
>>
File: tenor.gif (2MB, 492x268px) Image search: [Google]
tenor.gif
2MB, 492x268px
>>
File: ehaa8a7.jpg (85KB, 636x612px) Image search: [Google]
ehaa8a7.jpg
85KB, 636x612px
I saw Stephen King at a grocery store in Montreal yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?"

I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
>>
File: LnNXQHW.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
LnNXQHW.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>139537433

>my fear of clowns
>my fear of negros

nope
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.