[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is college a meme? I'm trying to decide between getting

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Is college a meme? I'm trying to decide between getting an apprenticeship or to go to college.If i where to go to college i would probably study wildlife biology if i where to go into a trade it would either be wood manufacturing or carpentry.I live ireland so student loans aren't that high
>>
I've a Masters in Business Information Systems.. 7 years work experience in programming/databases
I make £33.5K

I would make more money laying bricks or plastering.

Don't fall for the STEM meme,get a trade skill, be self employed, work half the year.
>>
>>138847626
Your employer requires your skills, not degree.
>>
Apprenticeship. Starting my carpentry course this autumn. Quit collage after 2 years because it was crap.
>>
Not sure how the trade culture is in Ireland, but it wasn't too appealing from what I saw a decade ago: Spending 18 hour days in the texas heat among non-whites and meth heads.
>>
>>138847626
> i would study wildlife biology
Of to the trades you go. Go to college only if you can get a job with that knowledge afterwards. Everything else is a horrible life decision.
>>
>>138847626
If you go into a building trade, research which ones are dominated by Mexicans. You don't want to compete with Paco the roofer.
>>
>>138848011
Oh look, bullshit. I've seen shit loads of skilled people that are over qualified for jobs get turned down because they don't have a degree. I also know a lot of fucking idiots get degrees and still suck at their jobs. Learn a trade OP, let the bidders and women burn the corporate world to the ground.
>>
Fucking skills are employable mate, everything else is just details. Get skills in whatever field you want that will make you desirable to an employer. Getting your pieces of paper can always happen later
>>
>>138847626
I'm not sure if many tradesmen take on apprentices nowadays. I don't know much about the area but I always got the impression it was hard to break into without connections. Whereas with college, it's easy to do in Ireland between the generous grants, small fees and the increasingly easy Leaving Cert exams leading to points inflation. There is a reason we have too many graduates you know
>>
>>138847626
Depends on the field you want to make a career out of. If you're interested in being a freelance classical painter, then college is a meme. If you're interested in being a theoretical physicist, then college isn't a meme. That's not a knock against artists, either.
>>
>>138847626
How'd you do in school? What were your grades? If great then sky's the limit in college if not so well trade school. I hung drywall after USMC for 20 years broke my back and went to college and now have BA in Mass Comm. In debt heavy now and with disability now I may not have to pay off that debt. A good trade can pay well, just pick one that is easy on your body.
>>
Get technical certification as an electrician, electromechanical, plumbing, forestry, etc. Get an entry level position in a trade. Take some night classes in business administration. Be successful.

College these days is for intellectual midgets who can only function in a sandboxed corporate environment. If you have any skill or motivation, begin the path to working for yourself
>>
>>138847626
Go for the trade at least you can work for yourself or a based tradesman.
>>
File: image.png (116KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
116KB, 1024x768px
>>138848420
This is pretty much the truth
>>
>>138847626

dependa. if there is a field you have a passion for education isbthe way to go.mm if u want to be very richmm its not necessary
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.