[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

STEM FAGS BTFO!!! Prepare to check your privilidge on day one

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8

>Discussing Justice on the First Day of Class

>I have written in other public fora that math is not apolitical, that the implicit messages in our silence on these issues is damaging to students, and that mathematics has particular bigoted elements in its history and present framing that we must engage actively.

>Some people, including both students and educators, have suggested that math class is not compatible with discussing justice or diversity. While I reject this assertion and think I’ve refuted it in the links above, I am left without many established models for doing this work. There already exist useful resources lists for doing this kind of work under the hashtags like #CharlottesvilleSyllabus or #CharlottesvilleCurriculum, but most of these tools are for general purposes once the topic is opened. Given the perceived disconnect between math and discussions of identity and equity that some of my students bring to class, I am instead trying to open this conversation in a way that is specific to math. In particular, I think I am more likely to be effective in this work if I can help my students see these discussions as naturally connected to and appropriate for my courses.

http://blogs.ams.org/inclusionexclusion/2017/08/17/discussing-justice-on-the-first-day-of-class/
https://archive.fo/Ow6pf
>>
>>138617201
Math is discriminatory because black people cant add or subtract, they can only multiply
>>
>>138618880
shots fired! ohhhhhhh
good one
>>
File: 1882623.png (67KB, 200x200px)
1882623.png
67KB, 200x200px
>>138618880
How do the Japanese bant so well?
>>
File: mathLOL.png (248KB, 409x531px) Image search: [Google]
mathLOL.png
248KB, 409x531px
>>138618880
Do you remember pic related?
>>
>>138617201

(((Katz)))
>>
>>138617201
>Given the perceived disconnect between math and discussions of identity
>>
>>138618880
But shynequia is definitaly subtracting lately
>>
File: SBPR0009179.png (1MB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
SBPR0009179.png
1MB, 1024x1024px
>>138618880
well played
>>
So what? They're going to fork mathematics and re develop it under their Marxist presuppositions?

I welcome it. Theres no ambiguity in the application of mathematics. Its true or false. Until they make empirical improvements, I'll just keep using good old mathematics
>>
File: PhDmaterial.png (95KB, 718x709px) Image search: [Google]
PhDmaterial.png
95KB, 718x709px
>>138620317
>So what? They're going to fork mathematics and re develop it under their Marxist presuppositions?
That's what they are trying to do.
>Its true or false.
Nope, they're trying to get rid of that notion in US universities right now.
>>
>>138621118
>calculating a pfaffian
>Pfaffian of a 4 x 4 skew symmetric matrix
So, your PhD thesis can consist of linear algebra lessons?
>>
>>138621118
Thats my point though, they can do that. But there's no ambiguity in the results, their implementation will be blantently wrong and nobody will use it.

Nor can they force it, engineering companies aren't going to hire people who are going to make their shit empirically worse.
>>
>>138618880

>add to the AIDS and crime statistics
>subtract income from Whites

Checkmate, Tanaka-san!
>>
>>138621530
Sure, if you're a stronk womyn of colour that majored in romance languages before hitting the ivy league with no math experience for a PhD in Mathematics.

http://www.theliberatedmathematician.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/PiperThesisPostPrint.pdf

Check the CV too
http://www.theliberatedmathematician.com/cv/
>>
>>138617201
So in California non-STEM don't have to listen to this, at least in community colleges, as algebra is no longer a requirement?

If there are many minorities in STEM, it would be hilarious to see them being lectured about discrimination. See how much of that bullshit they take.
>>
File: maths.jpg (71KB, 482x323px) Image search: [Google]
maths.jpg
71KB, 482x323px
>>138618880
Math is definitely discriminatory
>>
File: tumblr_meets_LaTeX.png (485KB, 1400x1186px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_meets_LaTeX.png
485KB, 1400x1186px
>>138622816
>So in California non-STEM don't have to listen to this, at least in community colleges, as algebra is no longer a requirement?
Did you get to the pronoun part in the article?
>>
>>138617201
I think we're going to go ahead and build a parallel society to you idiots. Prepare your butthole for evolution.
>>
>>138618880
kek
>>
>>138618880
Honorary Aryan fpbp
>>
What the hell is happening to science.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.