[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain who Chomsky is and why he's so popular?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

File: chomsky.jpg (2MB, 1712x2288px) Image search: [Google]
chomsky.jpg
2MB, 1712x2288px
Can someone explain who Chomsky is and why he's so popular?

It's incredibly awkward when he's brought up, because literally who is he?

Why do so many liberals cling to him?

They're making him out to be some kind of Left-Wing Ben Shapiro.
>>
>>138526270
he had clever ideas about neuro-linguistic programming which is a very esoteric thing so everybody assumes his batshit insane political views must be clever too because they are even more incomprehensible
>>
>>138526786
Well put, the man knows nothing about politics
>>
I'm more like, literally what does he believe? As a political philosopher he's remarkably dull and uninteresting, and if you're actually serious about left libertarianism you can't be among the group that thinks fascism is a dirty word.

So literally what the fuck? He is literally just dude weed lmao
>>
>>138526270
He is a gatekeeper that LOVES the FED.
He can only go so far.
Supposed 'rebel mind', defends the federal reserve. All you need to know.
Cancerous pseudo-intellectual. Nothing more.
>>
File: IMG_9449.gif (73KB, 336x438px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9449.gif
73KB, 336x438px
>>138526993
It's kind of like if von Neumann had written a book on how to be a pickup artist/PUA
>>
>>138526270
Read "manufacturing consent". It's his best book.
>>
>>138526270
>Left-Wing Ben Shapiro.
You can't make this shit up
>>
File: 714px-Chomsky-hierarchy.svg.png (40KB, 714x515px) Image search: [Google]
714px-Chomsky-hierarchy.svg.png
40KB, 714x515px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chomsky_hierarchy

he has some remarkable work on languages and grammar

stuff you learn on computer science
>>
>>138526786
>>138526993
>>138527173
>>138527305
>>138527362
So he's literally no one.

A bit like Stalin writing a book about Computer Programming.
>>
>>138526270
hurr isreal and the united states bad commie countries and muslim countries good. This nigga so far left he thinks CNN have a rightist bias.
>>
>>138527541
Sounds like something a 2 years old could understand.
>>
>either terrible bait or OP is underage retard
>OP is faggot either way
>>
>>138527582
see >>138527541

educate yourself.
>>
he makes his points clearly when he's speaking and has that suffer no fools thing about him. easy to fall for his "a., what I believe, is serious, b., what reactionary neoliberals believe, is not serious and you're retarded" schtick considering his intelligence like I have
>>
>>138526270
was: linguist who invented the concept of universal grammar

is: political commentator

popular: MIT affiliation, left-wing politics

brought up: "it's interesting how he articulated the fundamental elements of human language so nicely"

clinging: "his politics seem all over the place, but that's why people like hannah arendt are cool"

congrats, you pass college 101 without looking like a tool/idiot/alt-right and without compromising yourself/falling into step/being a "beta cuck"
>>
>>138527662
almost all computer programming languages are based on this ideas
>>
>>138527582
>jordan peterson of the left wing, basically
>>
http://unqualified-reservations.blogspot.com/2013/01/noam-chomsky-killed-aaron-swartz.html
>>
File: 1502302509046.jpg (69KB, 674x493px) Image search: [Google]
1502302509046.jpg
69KB, 674x493px
He said america sucks and is naughty for not being communist decades ago and praised Venezuela.

Then he said language and grammar are innate.

Then all of the left spent the rest of their lives destroying America and making it communist whilst ignoring the fact that language and grammar are definitely not innate.
>>
>>138527884
An awful lot of Peterson's political work is grounded in psychology though.
>>
>>138526786
>Alt right jap crap thinks moderate leftism is batshit insane
Reminder that your people are just as FUCKED as whitey.
>>
>>138526270
He's definitely a faggot in a lot of ways. The whole notion of manufacturing consent is legit though, and it needs to be brought to liberal's attention whenever possible that this is the only reason they think Trump is a Russian plant and that we need to start a nuclear conflict with them over the 2016 election.

Like a lot of leftists, he does a good job of explaining why stuff he doesn't like is bad, but he looks like a fuggn tardo when he tries to explain how he thinks the world should be
>>
he's an mit professor and brilliant student of history. when he talks, people listen and not just americans, but people around the world.
>>
He just got hired full time at my uni, going to try and get into one of his classes next semester as an elective!
>>
>>138528358
it's nuts that public people on the left don't apply the idea of manufacturing consent to the modern PC narratives more regularly, as soon as it's working in their arguments' favor, they must assume it's kosher because it's for the greater good, no real matter of principle at all
>>
>>138528618
Why do you throw in an exclamation point at the end? You're not being ironic, are you?
>>
>>138526270
Being a Jew. That's literally it. If any non-Jew had gone through the same motions, you'd have never heard of them in the media.
>>
>>138526270
Famous linguist with real achieevements that tried to do something in politics.
He is more left than anyone else. "muh bad States/Israel, they are too right wing" Speaks about all and nothing at the same time.
>>
>>138527776
>almost all computer programming languages are based on this ideas
I'm a computer programmer and just barely scrape past the definition of philosopher.

No? This looks like another "it sort of makes sense so it's my philosophy" style of philosophy, somewhat postmodern but contemporarists will basically kick your ass for being uninteresting.

There's simpler logic than finite state machines (no one says "automaton") and there's AI deeper and stronger than Turing machines.
>>
File: 1386754150902.png (146KB, 1144x1509px) Image search: [Google]
1386754150902.png
146KB, 1144x1509px
>>138526270
>chumpsky

he got BTFO by a literal /pol/tard

1/3
>>
>>138527934
>Y'all can blame who you like for Aaron's suicide. I blame Noam Chomsky, whose supercharged blue pills have devastated kilotons of innocent young brains as a regrettable side effect of winning Professor Chomsky enormous fame and wealth. The typical teenage victim knows, with every bone in his naturally rebellious body, that he's grown up in Plato's cave. Our Professor, renowned the world over but especially in Venezuela, agrees! And helpfully guides his innocent charge to an oddly well-lit shaft in the back of the cave which leads down to... an even deeper cave. Coach Sandusky had nothin' on him.
>>
File: 1386754192256.png (119KB, 1155x1015px) Image search: [Google]
1386754192256.png
119KB, 1155x1015px
>>138529355
2/3
>>
File: 1386754224174.png (75KB, 1156x965px) Image search: [Google]
1386754224174.png
75KB, 1156x965px
>>138529389
3/3
>>
>>138529158
>I'm a computer programmer

if ever wrote a compiler you would know that you have to write a grammar for your language (non ambiguous in order to be able to do some parsing)
>>
He's not as smart as people think. low grade commie
>>
https://youtu.be/8SewlKDMFR4
He knows /pol/ better than /pol/ does
>>
He doesn't provide arguments. Essentially, he'll deliberately try to confuse people with plot holes and circles when he argues with someone in order to "win" said arguments. He says things and nothing comes out. He essentially creates an illusion of being an intellectual through behaviors. He had an argument with someone from /pol/ and eventually reduced to using ad hominems.
>>
>>138526270
(((He))) is the definition of controlled opposition gatekeeper.
>>
I'd say he and his ilk are indirectly responsible for the movement that got Trump into office

>>138530535
This too
>>
>>138530022
>He had an argument with someone from /pol/
You what?
>>
>>138530766
I think he was referring to

>>138529355
>>138529389
>>138529429

although there may been other emails
>>
>>138529592
I'm willing to bet he's smarter than you, faggot
>>
>>138528358
Last paragraph is spot on. He's called out Israel for their conduct in Palestine fairly relentlessly, which is a blind spot for a lot of American Academics.
>>
>>138527582
No he is one of the most important linguists of the 20th Century. Philosophy took what is called the linguistic turn after Wittgenstein. Linguistics is now consequently one of the highest profile humanities fields and he is at the top of the game. Nevertheless, he is a jew and controlled opposition gatekeeper. A political red herring.
>>
>>138529443
So where does Haskell fit into his heirarchy? He's stuck at the "all programming is state machines and decision branches" phase. There's plenty of philosophy of programming, but it's all under computer engineering.
>>
>>138526786
kind of an oversimplification of his work, a lot of his work pre 2001 are amazing, at the very least everyone should read manufacturing consent.
>>
>a board who worshiped a fake white supremacist doctor is declaring Chomsky a fraud

Anyone want to guess the IQ level in here?
>>
>>138528358
I watched his anti-Bush and anti foreign intervention talks - they were all pretty spot on and not biased towards either the left or right.

He destroyed Dershowitz in an Israel debate to the point where Dersh started using personal attacks in response to arguments that Israel didn't do all it could to reach a peace deal with Palestinians.
>>
>>138526270
He's a syndicalist that just complains about corporations and Capitalism all day. Rarely does he provide a solution or vision. Leftists love him for basically giving them words to repeat that confirms their deeply flawed ideas. The one thing he has going for him is criticism of post modernism. And if even a lefty like Chomsky agrees with us on post modernism you know it's shit. His academic career is in linguistics so he is dubiously qualified to comment on economics. There is a reason he never went face to face with Friedman or Rothbard, who would have been his logically extreme opposite
>>
>>138526270
just go to youtube and listen to him speak you lazy fagit perform your own due diligence be an autodidact. stupid fucking canadien
>>
>>138527582

It may amuse you to know that Stalin actually wrote a bunch of stuff about linguistics

https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/stalin/works/1950/jun/20.htm
>>
>>138526270
He's clever, but for how old, and intelligent he is he sure lacks wisdom, foresight, and common sense.
>>
>>138531241
Somewhere between my shoe size and room temp

Also who is this doctor you speak of
>>
>>138527776

that's a gross exaggeration.

categorizing a bunch of strings and prodution rules isn't that big a deal.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.