[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did humans accomplish anything before written text? I forget

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1502383298176.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1502383298176.gif
2MB, 320x240px
How did humans accomplish anything before written text?

I forget things throughout the day when I don't write it down, we all do in fact.

It's a trip. A lot of our memories that we have in our mind stems from documented things whether it's pictures or text or whatever. The people's brains in this early civilizations had to have been wired entirely different from ours. Without anything for them to remember it, it had to have been like that.
>>
>>138408392
Use it or lose it. The brain also atrophies, or even worse becomes underdeveloped by idling. It will become worse, probably.
>>
>>138408392
You don't remember shit because you reference everything from written text. Even worse now that you can google everything.
>>
>>138408592
This, unfortunately. If this keeps up, we'll either have to implant permanent brain-to-internet devices or have a mass of slobbering retards that get progressively dumber with each generation due to lack of selective pressure.
>>
>>138408392
They didn't have doors so they never forgot anything walking through one
>>
Oral teaching and tradition. People had a lot less to keep track of 20,000 years ago, and by and large you didn't do a whole lot else besides maintaining food, water, fire, and shelter every day... certain things were considered important enough to be passed on - skills and toolmaking, migration patterns of game, signs of changing seasons, what plants were safe to forage, where to find good shelters, and of course probably a lot of our earliest common stories.

It's been long speculated that some of our oldest epics and fairytales were merely versions of far older oral traditions, the earliest versions of the Little Red Riding Hood mythos can be traced back to the 10th century, and even that version bears a striking resemblance to even older Norse and African stories. Cautionary tales of little children carelessly wandering into woods and jungles have probably been scaring little kids since our ancestors first developed language. Similarly tales of great hunters and heroes probably developed gradually over thousands of years before coalescing into the familiar stories we know like Iliad, Beowulf, or the epic of Gilgamesh.

As our civilization developed, became agrarian, became technological, became literate - more and more of our knowledge became written instead of oral and over many generations we've adapted to be better at retaining and understanding written knowledge more than oral.
>>
>>138408548
Right.

It makes you wonder in a certain way, if people were actually smarter say, in the 1960s than now.

We have more information and we'll learn about more things...But the way the brain analyzis stuff, I bet you people did it with a clearer mind
>>
>>138408392
We didn't have that much to remember "back then".
You really don't envy the brain of your ancestors.
>>
>>138408548
>>138408782

I bet it'll come down to people living differently

To help remember things from your own memory as opposed to looking down on our phones, we'll have to do memory and brain exercises to keep our intelligence in tact

Brain teasers used to be for losers, but now it seems like it'd set you apart from the other lemmings whose brains are getting fried from smart phones.

It's WAY worse than being glued to the tv
>>
The ancient oral tradition was based on the mathematical precision of poetic rhythm and meter. It becomes easy to remember things when you use devices which make implanting those memories easy.

Music lyrics are easier to remember than most text due to the effect of that mathematical aspect. Why else would people be able to recite from memory countless numbers of songs but scarcely remember their own phone number?

Repetition is also important, of course. Consider Homer, likely not a single poet, but rather the continuation of a number of poets who each passed on the stories through generations. They would have perfected their stories as it was the only way to impart knowledge. The same can be said of aboriginal people or other "prehistorical" societies in which the oral tradition was the key aspect in the survival of their cultural history.

A new challenge is the information overload we receive. It is hard to stop the flow when we are connected at all times to an information mothership which constantly replenishes. Our brains struggle to compartmentalize this overflow and store it as readily retrievable information.
>>
>>138408392
Stupid
>>
>>138410475
Yeah

Still, think about it.

Their memories and really how they perceived existence was just entirely different. Memories come and ago, memories pop up that we forgot we had, by external stimuli making us remember things

They didn't have that - so how did their memories even work.

As a society we never really think about how someone that's loaded with information thinks differently from someone who isn't
>>
>>138409574
>>138410681
Amazing. Thank you.
>>
>>138408392
I don't have a problem with it but then again I wasn't born with a fucking smartphone tethered to my asshole 24/7 either.
>>
>>138411233
No prob
>>
>>138408782
my body is ready for biomonitors, sensory extenders, an internal comlog, neural shunts, kickers, metacortex processors, blood chips, and RNA tapeworms so that I can experience the fullness of the All Thing.
>>
File: 1492786368580.png (2MB, 697x8275px) Image search: [Google]
1492786368580.png
2MB, 697x8275px
>>138408392
They didn't. We have records of societies that have failed to develop writing, numerals, etc. They all lived in huts until the white man came.
>>
>>138410681
You're implying that the way our brains retain memories is geared to mathematical precision. That couldn't be further from the truth. Rhythm and meter leave an emotional impression which gives memories weight so as our brains constantly rewrite and process memories, we place higher priority on maintaining the integrity of memories that leave an impact on us.

>https://ronwhitetraining.com/memory-training-2/simonides-3164.html
>>
File: muh-indians2.png (743KB, 720x714px) Image search: [Google]
muh-indians2.png
743KB, 720x714px
>>138413417
>>138408392
Niggers didnt even have the wheel in most of Africa until whites showed them. Niggers off the coast of India on sentinel island still cant make fire, they have almost zero human contact and the last time someone ended up on their shores, they filled him full of spears. They toss shit at helicopters when they fly by.

Pic related had hollow bones.That is their biggest achievement.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.