[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why the fuck hasn't this been done yet? who the fuck

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 224
Thread images: 26

File: a.jpg (55KB, 663x456px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
55KB, 663x456px
why the fuck hasn't this been done yet?

who the fuck is against this?
>>
>hey guys you should dumb down your language so the stupid clickity clack niggers in niggerland can better understand it
What should we do, go to moonrunes? Have you tried learning one of those gook languages?

And that doesn't even touch upon the roots of the language in Latin. How do you even reform a language? God damn this shitpost is getting me angrier than it should. Just the thought man.
>>
>>136843769
person like you is the main reason why our society is becoming more and more degenerative
>>
>>136844140
>not degenerating your language is degenerative
My almonds can only get so activated man.
>>
spelling reform is my long-term dream since the first time when i first learnt the words spellings like daughter and naughty in kindergarten
>>
>>136843517
>the position of letters in a word shouldn't affect the way they are pronounced

Why not?
>>
>>136843517
The globe needs to be reformed in order to make it more suitable for English.
>>
>>136844687
i don't get it

why does making english more logical and consistent mean degenerating my language?

''mah latin roots! french roots!''

you should be grown out of this meme
>>
>>136845357
>implying that spelling isn't aesthetic as fuck

maybe danish or dutch is more your thing pleb
>>
>>136843517
If it's simple enough that literal children can understand it then I don't think it needs changing.
>>
>>136845357
You're aspirations are stupid.
>>
>pajeet hiding behind UN flag complaining about english
I smell you
>>
>>136845829
Yeah, "global langage"? More like "suited for street-shitters"
>>
>>136845611
Are you trying to conflate roots of a language to some pride in heritage? It isn't some pride when it comes to the roots of the English language. It's the rules upon which they were built. You can't just change them because of the roots from which they came. That isn't at all how language works.
>>
>>136843517
What? It's a simple enough language as is, why change it for some sub-80 IQ shitskins who can't into grammar?
>>
>>136843517
Then pick a different global language, Shlomo.
>>
>>136843517
Wew lad. If you think English is complex, you should spend a month or two trying to learn Chinese.

Even simplified Chinese is like the final boss of languages.

This belongs on /int/.
>>
LEAVE MY LANGWIDGE ALOHNE UNNIGGER
>>
>>136843517
>If we ignore all the rules related to how something sounds based on what came before and comes after, things sound different, isn't this silly!
Indian intelectuals.

Do you get confused by 15 being different to 51 too?
>>
>>136845532
>>136845576
>>136845749
>>136845807
>>136845813
>>136845829
>>136846017
>>136846117
>>136846208
>>136846267
>>136846467

it's my language too you idiots
those who are against spelling reform like you are literally fucking abominations to me

in order to make english a greater language you need to be locked in jail first
>>
>>136846602
>it's my language too you idiots
Sure it is Mr United Nations
>>
>>136845807
>>136846267
>>136846467
>>136846772

>brits

how can you complain like that when all of you can't even spell the words correctly?
>>
>>136846930
Mayeb you should into grammar next time
>>
>>136843769
>God damn this shitpost is getting me angrier than it should.
lol ur such a faggot its hilarious
>>
Gotta mayk da layngwaj betta n fasta
>>
>>136846930
go speak esperanto you cuck
>>
>>136846251
really? the final bossisn't Finnish?
got me some larnin' ta do
>>
English needs some reforms.
Ingliš nids som reforms.

Enough - Enuf
Fish - Fiš
Women - Wimen

Dis is de superia lengueg.
>>
File: entermyoffice.jpg (74KB, 386x500px) Image search: [Google]
entermyoffice.jpg
74KB, 386x500px
Fuck off. English is awesome.

> The bandage was wound around the wound.
> The farm was used to produce produce .
> The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
> We must polish the Polish furniture.

> He could lead if he would get the lead out.
> The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
> Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present .
> A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
> When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
> I did not object to the object.
> The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
> There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row .
> They were too close to the door to close it.
> The buck does funny things when the does are present.
> A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
> To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
> The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
> Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
> I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
> How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
>>
I enjoy spelling strangeness, because it gives me endless opportunities to tell people to blame the French.
>>
>>136848538
(Even when the root isn't French because no one bothers to look it up).
M
>>
>>136843517
People refuse any change when it comes to something as basic as grammar. Their argument goes this way: "What right does this fucking scientist/politician/random guy have to tell me I need to change the way I write?". Normally, I would need a revolution to force spelling/grammar reforms. Britain did not have a revolution since like 17th century, hence the spelling that is outdated by a few centuries.
>>
If the Finnish with their insane language can learn it, anyone can learn it.
>>
>>136843517
English is the easiest to learn Western language, it makes you productive after very few hours of learning. The spelling is quirky, but you can get used to it. The reason why the orthography and pronunciation diverge so much is that English vocabulary comes from Germanic, Greek, Latin, French, and a dozen other languages, plus English preserves the original spelling everywhere where this is possible. Obviously that isn't always the best option from a language learner's view, but you need to get used to it.
>>
File: omg.jpg (131KB, 955x717px) Image search: [Google]
omg.jpg
131KB, 955x717px
>>136843517
>>
>>136847925
>Austrian flag

Uhh, what did you mean by that buddy?
>>
>>136848538
Not just French. A big problem with English spelling comes from the fact that many languages share Latin alphabet. When a word gets borrowed from another language, it's often borrowed "as is", regardless of differences in pronunciation. You must know, for example, that "zz" in "pizza" is pronounced as "c".
>>
>>136849111
>>136847925
And its actually
>Ingliš nīds sam rīforms
>>
Come home, Anglo man.
>>
>>136849111
"š" is a letter in some Eastern European alphabets (Slovak is one of them) that designates the same sound as "sh" in English. Not sure why the Austrian anon suggested that though. The fewer differences from the basic Latin alphabet, the better. It's way easier to type "sh", rather than to look for a non-standard letter.
>>
>>136843517
GH and TI have rules about when they are pronounced like F and SH, all of which are ignored in Ghoti. You can't just ignore all the rules and then say there are no rules.
>>
>>136849149
It's not helped in English that people like to paint the polluted lexicon as a positive. The reason "English is so good at taking words" is because the more accurate "The English were conquered by those who spoke a different language."
>>
The letters only make those specific sounds because of the pronunciated word formation. You can't take out a part and then treat it like a whole.
>>
>>136849435
I know what a š is, we have ž, ģ and č.
I was wondering what a filthy German is doing used letter he should have no business of knowing.
>>
Latin should be the world language, not english
>>
>>136847925
The European Commission has announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the EU, rather than German, which was the other contender. Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had room for improvement and has therefore accepted a five-year phasing in of "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make sivil servants jump for joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of the "k", Which should klear up some konfusion and allow one key less on keyboards.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f", making words like "fotograf" 20% shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent "e" is disgrasful.

By the fourth yer, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters. After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and everivun vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer. ZE DREM VIL FINALI COM TRU!

Herr Schmidt
>>
>>136849435
>>136849687
And I disagree, š is better then sh, too albinoid.
other cunts need to adapt the Aesthic gods that are ā, ē, ī, ū and ō
>>
>>136849591
Agree, I don't know why you have had some French words for a thousand years and have not bothered to change their spelling to English one.
>>
>>136846602
Language is a democracy, not a theocracy.
>>
>TO
>TOO
>TWO
MAN FUCK ENGLISH AN SHIT
>>
>>136849722
It is much easier to reform a dead language than a living one.
>>
>>136849997
Because the people who would make such a decision always pride themselves on being non-English, or using a non-English word or phrase to show their intelligence. Somehow "Englishness" has always had parochial connotations on this island, even a millennia after Hastings.
>>
>>136849891
The problem I see with a lot of Slovakians is that they are too lazy to type these non-standard letters on the keyboard (they require more time to type when on a phone, or a separate keyboard configuration when on a PC). So they just use the standard Latin letters instead, e.g. "prisiel" instead of "prišiel". Which means that a person who's reading that word must know that "s" means "š" there. So the simple and standard spelling system of Slovak language gets instantly downgraded to the level of English language, where you must remember the spelling of each and every word.
>>
>>136849730
Yeah, that doesn't look stupid at all. Also, da't raysiss. Shouldn't there be ebonics spelling reform, too?
>>
>>136849730
worth the read
>>
>>136850489
It take second longer. Dumb people are not to be encouraged
>>
>>136850345
Strange to hear that. I've always assumed that English people think about their country highly. "Rule Britannia" and all that. Intentionally using French words to demonstrate your "intellect" is a fucked up attitude.
>>
>>136846602
Sup Ban Ki-moon.
>>
>>136850489
It would be a lot easier if we didn't have separate cases for letters.
>>
>>136843517
Pronounced goat-tea
Looks like you don't understand how english works.
>>
It would be pronounced got-ee as it's spelled. I know it's just a joke, but it's still dumb. None of those letters or combination of letters would be pronounced that way in that order.
>>
>>136850835
Yep, but these dumb people are majority, and, unfortunately, the language goes in the direction the majority wants it to go. So if you want to simplify the spelling, you have to make the new spelling comfortable for dumb people too. I doubt that an Englishman would willingly learn new letters. He would cry that these new letters made the language even more complex.
>>
>>136850931
"Britain" isn't England. Even Dickens, at the height of this country's glory, commentated on the lack of Saxon words used.
>>
>>136846930
M90 you sound like an buttmad faggot, get a life already. U jus 2 stupit 2 rite proper. Y u kwote me twize n-eway
>>
>>136851218
this
>>
>>136851218
Neither do you.

Retard.
>>
>>136843769
English should not bow to other languages or cultures but certain written words seriously need to be reinvented especially loan words like debris

This is not so much a matter of tradition as it is a matter of not being fucking retarded. The purpose of an alphabet is to communicate sounds if those letters don't match their sounds then that's a glitch in the system and while it can be learned it's just inefficient and nonsensical to retain non-phonetic spelling solely for muh tradition

Having that said English is not the only language guilty of this shit as much as foreigners like to complain
>>
>>136851287
>It would be pronounced got-ee as it's spelled.
>as it's spelled

>implying english speakers can pronounce something "as it's spelled".
>>
>>136851378
Sorry for mixing up England and Britain. Well, that's really strange then for England to be ashamed of its old words. Given the derogatory attitude English have to Frenchmen.
>>
File: slidethread.png (290KB, 1156x2031px) Image search: [Google]
slidethread.png
290KB, 1156x2031px
>>136846602
Yknow if you appeared even remotely capable of good English your argument would carry more weight.

>Waaah I'm too stupid to understand it therefor we must make it easier
>>
>>136851666
English used to have accents in the form of the macron that made things a lot simpler, as well as the thorn (þ) and eth (ð) symbol for 'th'. Most of the reforms of English make use of these two letters.
>>
>>136852087
It's all about class. Most of our upper classes are descended from Norman families, and by using French words and phrases and belittling English words (Shite is a normal Saxon word, even used on medical books) even plebs can emulate these upper echelons.
>>
>>136851054
I'm not sure that letter cases are an issue. As long as the shape of a capital letter more or less resembles the corresponding small letter, people will have little problems with using both.
>>
>>136846930
You wanna know how I know you're a stupid, illiterate nigger whose mother never said anything other than "Mammy be bak"?
>>
>>136848355
LMAO
>>
>>136845807
spoiler alert: children have a very elastic mind and acquire any language (much better than adults) no matter how illogic its rules are
>>
>>136846602
Just switch to Newspeak if you want something double plus logical...
>>
File: dda.jpg (133KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dda.jpg
133KB, 1280x720px
>a burger thinking that english is hard.
>>
>>136849730
I read that without a single problem and it makes perfect sense even if meant to be satire
>>
>>136852506
One would expect that after a thousand years English and Normans must have diffused into each other... But then you haven't had a proper revolution, with rich people losing their head on guillotine (another French word, heh).
>>
I like to suck nigger dicks
>>
>>136850304
You should try Asian language where words can differ only in tone

English is not the worst language despite its glitches
>>
>>136843517
> let's nigger up an already niggered up orthography, now that everyone has gotten used to it
Nah, m8, fuck off.
>>
File: ebonics.jpg (133KB, 492x436px) Image search: [Google]
ebonics.jpg
133KB, 492x436px
sheee-it
>>
>>136852986
I don't think most countries have spelling competitions where children are asked to remember spelling of rare and fucked up words. Some languages does not even have an analog of word "spell", because their alphabets are phonetic or almost phonetic.
>>
>>136843517
that image is retarded lmao
>>
>>136851714
That was really dumb. Maybe it sounded better in your head.
>>
>>136843517
>wimen
lol
wOHmen
Stop watching niggerTV
>>
>>136852509
What I meant is that an accented and un-accented could fit on the same key, so you'd have A and Æ for an English example.
>>
>>136853050
>you haven't had a proper revolution
We've had several. None of them stuck, because they either failed or were judged worse than the original situation.
>>
>English
Jajajaja.
Esa lengua la inventó Satan Y Soros.
>>
>>136850304
Do not mix up spelling problems and pronunciation problems. Each language has groups of sounds that are perceived as one sound by non-native speakers. The issue with English is that there isn't a one-to-one match between sounds and letters.
>>
File: 1501920159534.jpg (368KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
1501920159534.jpg
368KB, 894x894px
>>136853666
>666
>>
I hate this image, because there will ALWAYS be extra "sounds" even if you reformed spelling to be phonetic.

Some other douchebag cunt will come along, splice out individual sounds, and complain about it

Literally get fucked
>>
>>136846602
Lefty thinking 101
everything must change because it affects me and i don't understand it.
>>
>>136846602
Revelation 13
And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.
>and tongues

fuck off antichrist
>>
>>136849149
I know it's not just French. That doesn't stop me from blaming them.
>>
File: 1468012767977.jpg (26KB, 300x419px) Image search: [Google]
1468012767977.jpg
26KB, 300x419px
>be a Yuropoor
>spend all day on an English website
>complain about English

Is there anything more pathetic?
>>
No i know how 90's Christian rock group, Ghoti Hook got their name.

Thanks OP
>>
File: RustCohle.jpg (76KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
RustCohle.jpg
76KB, 640x360px
>>136843517
Why don't niggers just click clack in binary? Problem solved.
>>
>>136853622
Oh, I see now. Yes, that would help a lot. But maybe we would not have "Shift" key at all then.. I would love to see thorn and eth return to English alphabet (Icelandic alphabet has them and no one complains), that would make the English texts visibly shorter. But I'm afraid that will never happen.
>>
>>136845611
>flag
>spacing
>globalism
you have to go back
>>
File: standards.png (24KB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
standards.png
24KB, 500x283px
>>136843517
I hate to use XKCD shit comics, but it really does illustrate the point well.
>>
>>136854115
Blame the Great Vowel Shift then. It did a lot more damage than loaned French words.
>>
>>136843517
> United nations trying to degenerate Germanic cultures and languages

hmmmm

> inb4 UK ONLY CELTIC
>>
>>136843517
How do you pronounce this you fucking faggot?:
Finzean
>>
>>136853424
Well, the Russian alphabet is considered "almost phonetic", but there is a number of words that make high schoolers sweat. Loanwords mostly.
>>
>>136853424
Being regarded as convoluted in the basic lexicon is quite different than being inherently difficult.

Just like some morphemes in eastern european dialects, or subtle tonal nuances in asian languages may prove very challenging for non natives, that doesn't necessarily affect the ease of learning them - although they will display your lack of conversational proficiency very overtly.
>>
>>136843517
Because it's fine as is.
>>
>>136843517
you mean lower the standards, so the monkeys can learn it too and pretend to be human?
I think we should make English even more complicated.
>>
english is just fine as it is. it's basically a shit-simple trading pidgin that does its job of making "I WANNA BUY THIS THING, HOW MUCH IT COST" universally intelligible
>>
>>136854922
Russian alphabet would be phonetic if it did not have "non-stressed" vowels. Remembering that you must write мoлoкo instead of мaлaкo was my biggest problem in school.
>>
>>136849730
sensiblechuckle.gif
>>
Let's just invent a universal western common language
It'll work this time guys then we can finally globalize government
>>
>>136849730
Don't tell him your name, Pike!
>>
some ukrainian/russian explain how xboct is pronounced huh-vost
>>
File: KiSx6iKClOo.jpg (9KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
KiSx6iKClOo.jpg
9KB, 200x200px
>>136855573
Pfft, it's easy. Knowing where to write "ѣ" back in the days of the Russian empire, now that was a pain the ass.
>>
>>136855824
kaiji???
>>
>>136856504
That looks like akagi but I don't know the source for this one
>>
>>136855007
Spelling competitions are organized for native speakers, aren't they? Not very familiar with them.

A good measure of whether spelling system of a language is difficult or not is to see how often native speakers make mistakes when writing. If even native speakers cannot guess the right letters for sounds, the spelling system has become outdated.

Sure, English is comparatively easy to learn because its words do not change at all. So you don't need to remember twenty five forms of a single word. But spelling... English spelling sucks. It was fine five hundred years ago, but not now.
>>
>>136843517
English really needs to rework spelling.
It serves no purpose.
>>
File: Simplified English.jpg (129KB, 1554x450px) Image search: [Google]
Simplified English.jpg
129KB, 1554x450px
>>136849730
kek'd and saved
>>
File: 1471642898888.jpg (68KB, 650x600px) Image search: [Google]
1471642898888.jpg
68KB, 650x600px
>>136843517
That's not how it works brainlet.
>>
>>136856358
There are many competing systems aimed at that.

Search a sample text of this on google
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlingua

It's mind boggling to read it, since it's designed for westerners to get a very good overall comprehension without really knowing the vocabulary or grammar itself.
>>
File: deus vulter.jpg (88KB, 483x597px) Image search: [Google]
deus vulter.jpg
88KB, 483x597px
>>136849722
>>136777769
filthy christkikes
>>
>>136856476
It's quite easy to remember. Take a Russian word, translate to Ukrainian. If "e" sound turns into "и", then it used to be "ѣ" there. Example: хлeб in Russian, хлiб in Ukrainian, so it was "хлѣб" before the October Revolution. That's because "ѣ" used to sound like something between "и" and "e" a few hundred years ago.
>>
>>136843769
Dude, American spelling /is/ a partially-reformed spelling! Why do you think we spell 'colour' as 'color', and so on? Look up Noah Webster or, here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_Webster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences
>>
>>136843517
in hungarian, how something is written is how you pronounce it. no exceptions. yet it's one of the hardest languages to learn. english is fine as it is.
>>
>>136843517
Maybe I just read a lot for a kid, but I never had a problem with spelling or pronunciation. Native speakers who confuse to/too/two, there/their/they're, or lose/loose are subhuman trash who proudly brag that they haven't read a book since they were forced to in school.
>>
>>136857697
((((((((Noah))))))
>>
>>136843517
Your a dumb cunt if you can't spell enough.
>>
>>136843517
The pic isn't how the English spelling system works. It's a mess, but it's not THAT bad. That would only be red as "ghoti", either long or short o.
>>
>>136846602
So accept American spelling as a first step, brit! Bend to our will!
>>
File: 9879846556.jpg (200KB, 682x1024px) Image search: [Google]
9879846556.jpg
200KB, 682x1024px
>>136843517
Burger language is so fucked up they literally have spelling competitions and who ever can spell english words is considered genius there.
>>
>>136843517
lol what a ghahggot
>>
>>136857173
English did not have a revolution a hundred years ago like the Russian Empire did. You do not have a normal spelling reform without a revolution.
>>
>>136843517
If you can't learn English spelling, you're a retard.

Don't piss off the natives and destroy centuries of linguistic development just so some foreigners can have an easier spelling a few weird words.
>>
OP is a Ghagot.
>>
>>136843517
At the very least agree on one standard.

There is also one standard Dutch, accepted by Netherlands, Belgium, Suriname, Dutch Antilles, South Africa and Indonesia.

So why not one standard English?
>>
>>136851438
We'd get used to it you know.

>>136851666
no loan words, satan trips! Only the purest Anglish!

(what if English were 100% Germanic?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIo-17SIkws
>>
>>136849730
Throw in a bunch of nюv simvols for sam partikюlяr saunds and it vill bi a massiv improvment
>>
>>136858116
Actually Korea had one.
The king told the scholars "our spelling is fucked go fix it"
Now it's considered among the easiest languages around.
>>
>>136853664
WE stuck, paki-doormat!
>>
>>136858151
Because the differences between British & Commonwealth English and American English are far too small to warrant any major reform. A yank sees "colour" and knows it means "color", there's practically no difference, while in other languages that have been standardised there have been very large differences between the different dialects.
>>
>>136843517
>whaa use a phonetic alphabet
Go learn Esperanto you fag
>>
>>136855007
you speak like such a fucking faggot holy shit
no one gives a shit you took some english class nerd
>>
File: approve.jpg (115KB, 1012x698px) Image search: [Google]
approve.jpg
115KB, 1012x698px
>>136849730
>>136849730
10/10
>>
>>136843517
It's been done already:
https://patrickcox.wordpress.com/2014/07/08/some-people-have-re-imagined-english-as-anglish-with-no-words-derived-from-french-or-latin/
(English without French or Latin)
>>
>>136854654
How do you know so much, Slovakia? I feel proprietary toward my mother tongue I must say. I guess that's out-of-date though in this day and age, when there's a YouTube video to explain every little thing.
>>
>>136857767
When there was a discussion in Russian Empire a hundred years ago about getting rid of archaic spelling and letters, one of the argument about keeping everything "as is" was: "Complex spelling helps distinguish an educated man from a peasant". And everything remained as is, but then they got a revolution, which made reforms easier. And believe me, nobody thinks about returning to the old system now.
>>
>>136843517
Fuck off dumbass, english is one of the easiest languages. Russian is a lot more harder, let alone Bulgarian.
>>
>>136858438
Glad to hear a counterexample. Normally people are just too reluctant to change, and it requires a major political cataclysm to move the reforms through.
>>
>>136843769
>How do you even reform a language

Literally happens all the time. Some modern examples of heavily reformed languages that are now widely spoken include turkish and hebrew. Before that, german and Korean were also reformed.
>>
>>136858507
I don't think the difference between Dutch countries was that big at all.
We just didn't want them to grow apart.

If anything, if they are so similar it's only easier to standardize them.
So what's stopping you? - pride?

Alternatively the world should just accept American English as the standard (because frankly, it's more dominant thanks to American software companies).
>>
>>136848910
No, it's spanish; which by the way is almost all logical rules and phoneme-letter translations.
>Inb4 burger spits muh illiterate wetbacks
Spanish language masterrace.
>>
>>136858849
Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. Mainland China uses simplified symbols, while Taiwan + Hong Kong still use the old. So people learning Chinese have to learn ... both! Many thousands of symbols, each.
>>
>>136858790
I read a Wikipedia article one day while procrastinating at work. Probably after writing a long email in English with the help of a spellchecker.
>>
File: 1501464245460.jpg (20KB, 720x533px) Image search: [Google]
1501464245460.jpg
20KB, 720x533px
>>136843517
I'm so tired of you autistic Buzzfeed "HurrDurr English super hard" cunts. Seriously do you know the first thing about fucking language or did you come fresh from your Cracked article to make this shitpost? You stupid shitstain Neanderthals just want to feel speshul because "lol some conjugation is a little wonky and spelling can be weird with French influence". No fucking shit asshat but guess what EVERY FUCKING LANGUAGE IS LIKE THAT SOMETIMES. You butter cups have no fucking clue how easy you have it. Universal availability, Latin alphabet, no genders, and mostly simplistic plural forms. And you fucks are just making it easier. Nobody even bothers anymore and it's only becoming easier. English is not in any way hard, you just want to feel unique for LEARNING ONE FUCKING LANGUAGE, a feat so goddamn simple that FUCKING RETARDS can do it.
>>
>>136843517
Ways to spell [ɧ] (almost like the Sh-sound) in Swedish:
G: Generad
Ch: Chef
J: Jour
Sch: Schema
Sh: Shorts
Sj: Sju
Sk: Sked
Skj: Skjorta
Stj: Stjärna
Si: Vision
Ssi: Diskussion
Stg: Västgöte
Sti: Kristianstad
Ti: Operation
Xj: Växjö

Ways to spell the English Sh-sound in Swedish
Ge: Gage
Ch: Lunch
Sch: Dusch
Rs: Kurs
>>
>>136859717
Ah. I'll have to find something else to be a hipster about, I guess.
>>
>>136843517
The "ghoti == fish" cuckery only exists because people are not fully educated in all the minute rules that preclude such mapping of phonemes to graphemes.

Put explicitly, 'ghoti' is a meme perpetuated by the degenerates trying to dumb down English for the denizens of ghettos
>>
>>136859728
English has been said to be easy to pick up, get conversational in, but hard to master, because it's got so many layers and quirks. That shows up in the spelling, though usually people overcome that early on.
>>
>>136859757
No one cares, faggot
>>
>>136859519
Our languages have already been standardised on a national level, international standardisation would be pointless because it wouldn't make communication any easier, and in Commonwealth countries American spelling is seen as wrong.

If there were difficulties in communication between speakers of different types of English then it would certainly happen, but there'd be just no point to it. The British and American dictionaries are both too stubborn to change a couple of spellings here and there when there's no gain whatsoever to be had from doing so.
>>
>>136860242
oops ignore the meme flag
>>
>>136859998
Lrn2memes
>>
>>136860091
Be more considerate, of people forced to learn your language in place of you learning theirs.
>>
File: 1502311725522.png (51KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1502311725522.png
51KB, 625x626px
>>136846602
>Bringing down a system designed by scholars much wiser than you that you don't properly understand only to make your Undereducated Cuckness less offended
>>
>>136860242
Problems will arise sooner or later.

200 years from now Americans probably won't be able to read British English and vice versa.
Just like it's very hard to read 200 year old texts.
>>
>>136860317
I swear, I don't think I've ever seen a repetition of one of these fish, bait memes. You are promethean, Slovakia.
>>
>>136860589
No - because the internet.
>>
>>136859560
Jesus, as if remembering just one set of Chinese characters were not a huge task in itself... Side effects of a situation when a regime change in a country has not been fully complete, and there remain enclaves of the "older ages". That's like there exist "London" and "City of London", each with its own mayor, just because City of London was not conquered in 1066 and has retained some privileges.
>>
>>136860063
Actually it also shows up in how poorly Americans spell. Possessives ("it's"), and plurals, doubles or no. Nah, we could stand a little reform to save ourselves from embarrassment if nothing else.
>>
File: 1483436710984.png (637KB, 634x819px) Image search: [Google]
1483436710984.png
637KB, 634x819px
>>136848355
What's funny is I still read it the way it was supposed to be read.

DID YOU READ WHAT I JUST READ ... SO HARD TO COMPREHEND AMIRITE?

Not like Spanish where I asked my friend how to say something along the lines of "Step on it", it being penis and it was supposed to be sexual like jokingly, and she said it doesn't translate, you have to specify what "it" is. English is awesome because there is so much to it that most other languages don't have.
>>
>>136860311
Yeah, nah...
>>
>>136843517
Ghoti cannot be pronounced like fish because English is a context-sensitive language.
>>
>>136843517
People that speak english you filthy little negro, the amerifatsos already removed all the letter U's from their words because they aint so good with their learnin' but a little baby knows the difference in your example.
>>
>>136860591
Drop that shitty sarcasm, halfwit.

Bait memes are here to call you out on obvious fallacies of such infamous magnitude, trying to believe you could honestly espouse them warps the mind.
>>
>>136861407
>shoppe
>>
>>136851654
>Pronounced goat-tea. Looks like you don't understand how english works.
He is right my dude you haven't got a scooby.
>>
>>136853050
Yeah but the words remained within their classes. Norman words were more abstract and difficult, or, just associated with higher class. Would you say, British bro, or anyone else?
>>
>>136860063
That's not overcoming... You just get used to the fact that letters sound differently in every word. And then English speakers have to add dots to the letters to emphasize that they do sound as written, like Chloё
>>
>>136861537
I wasn't though. They seem to have infinite variety. Or else, my memory is just gone.

Alzheimer's - the world is always new :)
>>
>>136861927
Ah well, sorry then.

Dealing with caustic children online for half the day turns into a professional deformation rather quickly
>>
>>136861723
As a pleb American I don't know what to do with dots. I don't even know how to produce a dotted letter with my keyboard, aside from copying and pasting.
>>
>>136843517
but none of those are pronounced that way you fucking retard. Nobody says "wimen", and there's clearly a t sound in nation, not a sh.

t. spent years in speech therapy as a kid because i couldn't make "sh" sounds. could say nation.
>>
>>136862172
Alternate keyboard languages, alt-codes, MS Word symbol inserts.
>>
File: 1492882228513.jpg (37KB, 340x565px) Image search: [Google]
1492882228513.jpg
37KB, 340x565px
>>136862232
>spent years in speech therapy
lol maybe you should go back
>>
>>136843517
>prounced
>>
>>136861687
So, I hope then that people use French words only because they want to sound "classy", not because they don't like to use English words. It's like all these convoluted structures in legalspeak, which people do not normally use. Hereinafter referred to as... and so on.
>>
>>136843517

It's too tiresome to make it simpler, no-one gives a shit and most people would still instinctively go for the " original" spelling.

Also, it's a great tool for philology and diachronic linguistics and the current graphy can also help remember the meaning of words that would otherwise be homophones in the same way that homophones in Chinese and Japanese are dealth with with differing pictograms.
>>
Kek you guys are biting hard
>>
>>136844140

Get out of here you fucking leaf. Can't cover your self up.
>>
>Saying wymin
>Not woah man

Savages butchered the language
>>
>>136862172
I don't know how produce dotted letters either. I cheated, because letter "ё" exists in Cyrillic alphabet, so I just switched the keyboard language. My understanding is that dots indicate that the vowel should be pronounced as a separate sound instead of being a part of a "double-letter" combination.
>>
>>136863198
>referring to a group of females
>says wo-ah-man
?
>>
>>136862707
Well, sounding classy is probably a component. Truthfully I'm half making it up as I go along - sorry. Was going from what the Brit guy, earlier. But French words do have more abstractions than native English ones, so they /tend/ to be for more educated use. I guess Saxons were more peasant types (but again this is speculation), and words for abstractions didn't arise as much from the native form. However, the most commonly-used words don't usually change after an invasion ('hand', 'mother'), so it may not be that afterall.

In short, I should probably shut up, not knowing as much as I implicitly claim to.
>>
>>136859757
Ways to have sex in Sweden:

Invite Ahmed to rape you in the ass.
>>
>>136846602
Prove it or bad news for you.
>>
>>136864337
Translating abstract ideas is a bitch.

Like English doesn't have a general abstract word for some undefined object of historical significance. Either its a specific word for a monument, statue, or something along those lines, but the word in my native language(s) can also be translated as 'memento'.

Translating into Arabic:
>no distinction between electricity and electronics
>no abstract 'cloud', but a gazzillion specific types of sandstorm
>desk lamp in Arabic, word for word: "tube, bent, electric"
>>
>>136843517
you should try slavic languages
slovenian especially
english should be converted to use slovenia letters
fish - fiš
dog - dog
cat - ket
english - ingliš
black - blek
white - uajt
left - left
right - rajt
nigger - nigr
you see, it's far more efficient
>>
>>136864337
No problem, it's always interesting to talk with native speakers about their language. They can see patterns in the language that are very hard for non-natives to learn about.
>>
>>136863198
>see a girl walking casually on the street
>whoa man
>>
>>136865397
Fuck your gay accent marks.
>>
>>136849730
Wel dun
>>
>>136865397
You would still need quite a few letters for English-specific sounds, like "th" in "this", "th" in "cloth", "ng" in going, "ar" in "star", "ea" in "earn" etc.
>>
>>136847401
Icelandic.
>>
>>136843769
Man, he's joking

Calm the fuck down, internet
>>
>>136843517
So you want these to be spelld
>enof
>fone
>nite
>nife
>nit
>nedles
Fucking moron wants tonge spelt like this.

This man literally advocates the use of "finna" and the entirety of nigger talk.
>>
>>136865354
A language is a reflection of the life of the people that speak it. That's like those indigenous people in the North have dozens of words for "snow". Or Slovaks have tons of different words for "hill", and I still can't remember the differences between them.
>>
>>136843769
>stupid clickity clack niggers in niggerland
Kek
>>
>>136846602
post your flag faggot.
>>
>>136849730
How long did it take you to write that anon? Bravo!
>>
>>136866805
You can't even spell them fully phonetically, although you are trying. You keep letters "e", although there are no sounds "e" there. That's the power of inertia in thinking. Here's my take:
fone => "foon" ("oo" means long "o").
nite => nait
nife => naif
nit => niit
nedles => niidlz.
>>
>>136867340
that's an old copypasta.
>>
>>136866865
Which brought about the following translation of 'electron cloud' in Slovak-supplied electrical engineering textbooks for Arabs.
>arabicarabicarabic
>arabic
>'electron cloud'
>more Arabic

>>136867340
Danke, Merkelica, für Herr Öttinger
>>
>>136860999
>Step on it
pisalo?
>>
>>136849730
The BEST
And I mean, the --BEST--
Post I have seen on /pol/ in quite some time.
>>
>>136843517
>good
>shoot
>flood
In each of those "oo" is pronounced differently, right?
Luckily normal people like me never need to speak English. I can't even distinguish between different oo's and ee's and i's etc. let alone pronounce them lol. If I had to speak English I would just pronounce it like Finnish, all the vowels and the ridiculous "r" especially. Writing English is easy and simple compared to the retarded way it is spoken.
>>
>>136867840
English is almost like Chinese in that the words are almost more like pictograms than strings of letters. English speakers can't read a word they don't know, just like Chinese can't read a Chinese word if they don't know it already. It's always both baffling and funny to see Americans try to read some simple foreign words like Alentejo. They have to try 3-5 times to get it even close and might even not get it right while thinking they've got it. I once heard an American trying to say Alentejo "Aten-, Atenje-, Atenjello, Alenjello. Yeah, it's Alenjello." Unbelievable but true.
>>
File: Good old days of 1936.jpg (102KB, 640x432px) Image search: [Google]
Good old days of 1936.jpg
102KB, 640x432px
>>136850835
I would worry more about low IQ faggots using non-existent words, like manīm, tevīm, sevīm, karoč, priekš (this activates my potatoes every time).

Plus all that anglicism and russicism slang, it's unbearable to listen to people. Younger generation is pure cancer. This language will be dead in less than 100 years.
>>
>>136843517
Ghoti isn't a word. But yeah. English is a lazy and ugly bastard language. Italian is best
>>
File: 1387902001763.png (5KB, 208x208px) Image search: [Google]
1387902001763.png
5KB, 208x208px
>>136849730
> The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of the "k", Which should klear up some konfusion and allow one key less on keyboards.
>literally type "reach" two sentences after

at least your tired
>>
File: 1468652719637.gif (4MB, 276x240px) Image search: [Google]
1468652719637.gif
4MB, 276x240px
>>136843517
Fuck off, you illiterate haploid. Spelling in English is not hard if you have what used to pass for a primary-school education, and it is one of the last preserves of linguistic decency in our beleaguered language.

May you rot in a swamp of a thousand fish.
Thread posts: 224
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.