[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was /pol/ raised religious? Did you stay that way? Why or why

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: moral_orel.jpg (28KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
moral_orel.jpg
28KB, 500x250px
Was /pol/ raised religious? Did you stay that way? Why or why not?
Will you raise your children the same way you were raised in terms of belief and practice?

More importantly: should kids in general even be taught religion? Does being raised in a religion diminish the ability to freely choose one's beliefs and practices?

Stuff to consider
-Childhood religious rites: baptism, Confirmation, circumcision, etc. that kids are either forced into during childhood or never experience due to later conversion
-The questioning nature of children and whether you're allowed to say that the sky is blue because God made it that way to them
-Tradition, family, and cultural values that often center around religion
-Religion gives children purpose and community, something that is becoming shorter in supply by the year especially to youths
-Individual spirituality vs. organized religion

wall of text over. I'm interested in /pol/'s views.
>>
>>136609853
I'll go first of course
>Was /pol/ raised religious? Did you stay that way? Why or why not?
I was raised essentially without a religion. I had inter-religious (Catholic and jew) parents who didn't want to push their children into either religion and wanted us to decide for ourselves. We were never sent to Church or synagogue, but there were some exceptions as we were baptized and circumcised. Just in case, I guess, idfk. How did it turn out? I don't identify with religion or atheism at all. It's been a non-issue my entire life.
That doesn't mean I haven't thought about it, though. I did envy the identity and community other children had that I didn't feel like a part of. I also wished I could believe 100% that God was on my side during hardships like depression or that my dead relatives went to Heaven.
>Will you raise your children the same way you were raised in terms of belief and practice?
I don't think I have a choice. I was raised with nothing and therefore have nothing to contribute. The only religion my kids would get is if my wife was religious and insistent. I would hope they keep an open mind, though.
>>
>>136610616
I forgot one thing: I don't think the way you are raised affects your ability to choose your beliefs later in life. There are tons of atheists and converts who chose that path simply because they were dissatisfied with what they were raised with. I think it's kind of pointless to send kids to church or teach them the bible before they're more mature, though. They really don't give a fuck,
>>
>>136609853
>deminish the ability to choose to freely choose ones beliefs
This is like saying kids should freely choose their own gender.
>>
>>136611444
LARPing as a satanist for a few years is less harmful than taking hormones, to be fair
>>
>>136610616
>jew
well what the fuck do you think you are doing here you religious racist faggot
>>
I was raised Southern Baptist but never got baptized. I consider myself now a confused Christian still trying to decide which church I should go. At this point I've visited tons of denominations. I didn't leave the church I grew up in because I particularly disagreed with anything major theologically. I just didn't find myself growing spiritually there anymore.

I'll raise my kids in whatever church I do decide on. Even if they end up not Christian having a good understanding of the Bible is vital for understanding western civilization where tons of things are based on the Bible and references the Bible.

Depends on your idea of "taught" I guess. I think parents should have the right to teach their kids their religion. I think it's fine for schools to broadly explain the theological beliefs of different religions to students but not to try to convince them one of them is right.
>>
raised an aetheist -- became a nihilist -- lived a life of pure degeneracy -- accepted that god is real -- live in isolation
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.