[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fucking planned obsolescence. I'm pissed at shit breaking.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 212
Thread images: 18

Fucking planned obsolescence. I'm pissed at shit breaking. Back in the day when I was a young lad, when I bought something, it was made to last damnit. Now I can't expect anything to last longer than 2-5 years.

Look at pants. If I get down on my knees to do some work, they get holes in them on the same day. When I was a kid, I could scrape it against the road in a fall and not see any mark. I could roll around in the backyard with the neighbor's kids and they wouldn't have a stitch out of place.

When I bought tools, I could use them damnit. Now I have to hold them like a baby. And those fucking rechargeable batteries die in 2 hours at the best, I avoid buying batteries, I prefer a cord to the wall infinitely more than those rechargeable batteries.

My grandparents passed down their freezer to me. My aunts bought a new freezer 10 years ago and she already needs a new one.

I prefer my shit made out of metal, not plastic.

The technology they have today can do more and work faster, but they cost so much it gets all the more frustrating when they break. And they're so much more feeble too.
>>
>>136316085
Its not some vast conspiracy
There is just no market for long lasting products
People want new shit
>>
>>136316085
>Most of our down starts getting produced in China and South East Asia
>Suddenly the quality of our goods go down and we have to deal with merchant trickery
Really jostles my noggin.
>>
Maybe don't buy your shit from old Navy, Walmart, or target.
>>
>>136316432
Look, who the hell wants their shit made out of plastic? They can make new products that do the work they do today, without trying to save nickels and dimes with cheap protecting materials. They make shovels out of fiberglass or some kind of plastic. Shovels. That shit never broke when I was younger, when they were made out of wood or metal, but now those newer shovels are like digging with a fucking toothpick.
>>
>>136316768
Plastic does not mean weak or bad. Read a material science book someday before you retire, it will really put things on perspective. Industry has come a long way since the 40s.
>>
>>136316768
>Look, who the hell wants their shit made out of plastic?
People that dont care because they are going to throw it out anyway
>>
>>136316768
My Walmart buyer simply won't carry products made in the US or not of the cheapest possible quality (with some promotional exceptions). This is not rp or an exaggeration.
>t. walmart vendor
>>
>>136316963
Well I know I'm still using shovels I had when I was kid, and the newer ones my family member bought are breaking.
>>
>>136317143
What's more is that those old shovels were made right, they didn't get loose at where the shovel head attached to the handle. The new ones are attached differently, they get loose, I have to constantly fix the new shit. Fucking hell.
>>
>>136317143
Anecdotal evidence does not support some vast conspiracy.

Hell I have had metal tools break and strip. Shovels made from wood and iron that still snapped after a while use. You know why? Because it's cheap shit I got from Walmart or Target. If you don't want shit that break, you're going to have to Shell out money on things designed a little better.
>>
Another thing that they use plastic for that they should NOT be using plastic for is to hold liquid. Milk, water, etc. Back in the day they used glass for that shit. Now I can taste the fucking plastic in the water when I drink it, I don't buy plastic bottles anymore they taste like garbage.
>>
>>136316085
If you want something to last forever you'll probably have to pay 5 times more for it.
>>
>>136317684
Glass based consumer infrastructure only works if you recycles. Did you recycle? Did your neighbors recycle?

Or did you do what typical boomers do and throw it away? Producing consumer products in glass is expensive as fuck and if you don't recycles such containers it makes it wildly expensive over time to keep making those types of containers people just Chuck.
>>
File: 9706738_dd93b30894_z.jpg (87KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
9706738_dd93b30894_z.jpg
87KB, 500x375px
>>136317524
>Shell out money on things designed a little better.
It's a fucking shovel. It was designed better back then than they are today.

Get those old ass shovels, they can take a beating, and you can pass them down to your grandkids with those tools.
>>
>>136318004
I don't recycle no, I reuse the hell out of what glass I got. I don't even throw them away unless they break.
>>
>>136318004
OP is the type of fag that wants high quality shit for the same price he's currently paying for cheap chink shit. He really doesn't understand why quality items are 2-3x more expensive than Chinese crap, and it makes him very angry.
>>
>>136318088
It was also more expensive
>>
>>136318088
I am sure if you scaled the price of those to today's inflation it would be a shovel for 40-60 bucks. But instead you'd rather pay 4-10 for shoveling dirt.

Buy cheap get cheap. No conspiracy.
>>
OP is right, products are made like trash today, but it's a necessary evil in that is keeps the market flowing
>>
>>136316085
>If I get down on my knees to do some work, they get holes in them on the same day. When I was a kid, I could scrape it against the road in a fall and not see any mark.

You also weigh five times as much now as you did when you were a kid and are capable of exerting exponentially more power.
>>
>>136318208
So he's a typical boomers. Surprise.

>>136318188
Oh look, surprise. He never recycled. So the factories never got their materials back so they said fuck it. Good job elder asshat. Your wisdom sure is great.
>>
>>136318439
Not sure if bantz but that's an excellent point.
>>
>>136318311
There, someone who understands, I'm not making this up.

>>136318216
>>136318245
Are you sure those shovels were expensive shovels back in the day?
>>
>>136318439
Working with my pants on the dirt, gardening for a few hours? There's no way I put more pressure on my pants now than when I was a kid playing around with the pants all day.
>>
>>136318558
That's my question, what was the cost back then and account for Inflation and see what they would be today.
>>
>>136316085
The world economy is fueled by westerners having infinite demand for cheap shit made by colored people. Without westerners constantly needing to replace things, the whole system breaks down. I think the economy evolved to this as a result of ludicrously out of control fiat currency. Debt backed currency requires that GDP growth is infinite. It doesn't matter if real value is actually being created just as long as the numbers go up on paper to keep fiat currency from imploding
>>
>>136318558
And the face you ask it as a question shows your boomer nature. You don't even fucking understand the cost of quality. Another reason they could have been cheap is that they were made shortly after WW2. You know what happened during WW2? Nearly every industrialized society in Europe and Asia was burnt to the ground making the USA the sole manufacturer of goods. There was such high demand to share the cost that high quality goods could be made cheaply due to the sheer income generated from being the only supplier. They could afford to do it back then until boomers decided they wanted cheaper shit then decided to start sending manufacturing overseas where they could be paid pennies
>>
>>136318865
This shit just goes over my head. I don't control the world economy. I just want my tools and my plastic crap to stop fucking breaking. I'm still using tools my dad gave me because they haven't broke yet and they plug into the wall instead of using that stupid rechargeable battery crap.

I have two options.

1. Buy old shit and accept slower work speed.

2. Buy most expensive new crap and pray they don't break.
>>
>>136316567

Youre fucking retarded. They all sell you the same shit.

Like already stated the market for things that last is gone, mindless consumerism killed it. Now you can shit out a toaster with the face of some capeshit faggot and suddenly your current toaster is no longer good enough.
>>
>>136319274
You know, I'm not even sure the difference between expensive and cheap back then was as significantly noticeable like they are today. You could buy tools for all castes back then and expected them to work. The more expensive stuff back then couldn't have really been that different than cheap stuff back then.
>>
I'm actually surprised non-Americans are the only ones agreeing with me in this thread. What the fuck.
>>
>>136316085
The superior durability of older goods is misunderstood. Products had to be made with such robust materials because cheaper, lighter materials either had not been invented yet or the manufacturing techniques to produce them on a large scale had not been developed. Companies today don't use shoddy materials because they want things to break. They use shoddy materials because they are cheap and easier to process into products. There is also the fact that whites no longer manufacture their own goods. That would certainly affect the quality of whatever is produced.
>>
>>136316963
I think what has improved in today's society is that we have become much more efficient with our resources, I'll admit that, we design products better of course. But that efficiency isn't to our benefit. They will use as little material as possible instead of laying on materials slightly thicker to ensure they last longer.
>>
>>136319341
There is a market for higher quality items. You just won't find them at war or target practice gap or old Navy.

Many factories have tiers of specifications. To still get a return on those that pass spec, they sell to discount stores. Take Hanes underwear for instance. You can buy a pack from TJ Max and from Macy's. Same type of underwear. I did this because the max was cheaper than macys but when I opened them, the ones from tjax we're stiff and the waist band was frayed. You can do this experiment easily.
>>
>>136316085
DONT GET ME GOD DAMN STARTED ON WASHING MACHINES
>triggered
>>
>>136320116
I certainly see that with plastic taking over roles that metal once had before, which is an excellent example of your argument. You understand the situation we are in, what advice do you offer to us for future as products continue to degrade in quality?
>>
the wonders of free trade and cheap foreign goods.

hehe stupid goyim
>>
>>136319653
I agree with you. Probably because I have kids now and am a home-owner. Shit was just of a better quality when I was younger. I pay more for less now.
>>
>>136320666
>I pay more for less now.
There, this is absolutely the simplest, shortest sentence that would explain my frustration I'm experiencing.
>>
>>136318724
Pressure is force/area. As you grow, lets just use height(h) at a metric, your weight goes as h^3, but your leg surface area is only going to grow as h^2. Since the force you exert is directly proportional to your weight, you will exert more pressure because your weight grows at a faster rate than your area.
>>
File: 1413671256387.jpg (70KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
1413671256387.jpg
70KB, 700x525px
>>136320666
>>136320797
Well I'm glad to have been of service. Now witness my satanic trips
>>
>>136320797
So does anyone in this thread have advice or knowledge on how to reverse this trend of paying more for less for my own personal sake and those I know. I'm talking about real advice, not trying to change international trade here.
>>
>>136321060
>Imagine if he's more ashamed of the hole in his pant than of his son/grandson.
>>
>>136316768
My father still uses a shovel his dad used to clear snow. Solid as a rock.
>>
>>136320336
I pity you anon.
I inherited my grand mother's washing machine 10 years ago and still use it almost daily.
It's a Vedette from 1967, all metal, bright-blue and white (epoxy paint). Easy as fuck to service and repair, almost no electronics involved, and when the 90°C preset is pressed, it really heats up to 90°C.
>>
>>136320997
If I take my pants with holes in them, patch them up with older pants I used as a child, I guarantee you those patched portions will last longer than the pant they are patched on. I've seen it already with one pant I've been wearing.
>>
>>136316085
It's simple - EITHER you can have cheap shit that doesn't last long, OR you can have expensive shit that lasts longer... nobody has any incentive to make super cheap stuff that you only need to buy once
>>
>>136321460
OR, buy old CHEAP shit that still works to this day.
>>
>>136321460
the funny part is you actually spend less money on the expensive shit.

let me give you an example

i once bought a cheap pair of boots($30 or $40) for work from walmart one time because i was like "hey, i'm just going to beat them up anyway". well in under 3 months the boots were coming apart at the seems

after that i bought a pair of boots that were like $100+ and i've had them for years. if i would have kept buying cheap boots every time they blew out, i would have ended up spending way more money than just buying the more expensive boots that last longer.

i really don't understand how people don't get this simple concept
>>
>>136316085
>Parents have a Crock Pot from the 70s
>Wanted another one, bought a new Crock Pot
>Broke in a year, old one still fine

I think we also used their fridge from the 70s up until the mid 90s. And used our first microwave from the mid 80s until the late 90s.
>>
>>136321381
I don't disagree with you about modern products generally being built with poor quality. The statement you made about pressure was just incorrect.

Nowadays you can still get quality products that will last a long time: they just cost significantly more. Just look at the different types of leather goods for example. You could get a solid wooden desk that will last a lifetime, or a processed pulp thing from ikea that will last a few years. Since so many people like to take the easy way out and buy cheaper things, it can also make it harder to find nice high-quality goods.

Electronics are a whole separate issues as far as 'planned obsolescence' goes. Not only do you have some companies *cough, apple* that seem to actually plan obsolescence, but there is also steady technical progress coupled with shitty developers who write shitty, inefficient software and count on better technical specifications to make their frankenstein piece of shit run decently.
>>
>companies realize they can make shitty crap for far less than it'd take to produce good things
>people will buy the shitty crap because it's cheaper and they can't manage to save up the cash to buy a good pair of boots because they need the boots now to work or else they won't get any money at all
>company benefits even more because when the boots break to shit in 6 months the person now needs to buy another pair of boots

remember though capitalism is perfect and cannot fail, it can only be failed. there is no room for improvement
>>
>>136316085
>Fucking planned obsolescence.
"Planned obsolescence" is bullshit. There's nothing new about that fact that if you cheap fucks buy the least expensive piece of shit you can find, it will perform poorly and break quickly. It is impossible to optimize for two variables at the same time. If you want it NOW, you can pay more for quality, or pay less and suffer the consequences. The saying goes, "Cheap, fast, good: choose any two," and it is not sarcasm. It is a fucking LAW of economics dictated by the parameters of physical reality. Everyone is such a cheap fuck now, blowing all their money on their drug habits, that they pretend corporations are conspiring against them to cheat them out of the expensive quality they pretend they are paying for. The reason your grandfather's push mower still works is he saved up and paid a lot for it, instead of getting one on sale at Walmart from China for $9.99. Welcome to fucking reality.
>>
>>136321883
I don't find that to be true, I never had expensive boots but both my cousin and my dad say they beats up their expensive boots fairly quickly and hand them to me once they're done. They get their boots all worn out in a year, like clockwork, they just gave up and bought cheap boots, and they might last 2-3 months shorter but they're 1/4th the cost.
>>
>>136322569
they're probably buying some shitty brand. i've had a pair of boots for like 5 years of hard use. i used to have a pair of LL Bean boots that i had for almost 10 years that were still good, i just outgrew them.
>>
>>136316085
Be the change you want to see pal. It's as simple as that.
>>
>>136320116
This is a very strong point, but not the whole story. A large part of the story is the death of the concept of fair price, general decline in concepts of maintenance, and simply what has made it.

>Fair price
Brooks Brothers are probably the best example of this. They never touted themselves as a luxury brand from their founding; they did men's clothing, and they did it at fair quality for fair prices. You would expect to pay for what you bought. Thus, it was really a mid tier, "You get what you pay for" deal. Presidents as well as middle businessmen bought their suits from them.

Their decline was essentially when the market dried up for what they did; people didn't want to pay fair price for fair work, they wanted cheap. People also had no real concept of what quality meant. Thus, they lost market share until they were bought out.

>Maintenance
Very few people oil their leather anymore, but it is very useful for extending the life of leather goods. Patches on elbows were not for decoration; suits will almost always wear out first on elbows. A suit hanger has a certain shape to hold the shoulders correctly.

Things lasted longer often times because they were simply more important and thus better taken care of.

>What has made it
There was a ton of crap produced before, but by the very nature of being of poor quality no one bothered to maintain it or pass it down. Crappy things get discarded, only old things of decent quality stay around.

>WHAT DO?
Reasonably understand what you are purchasing and what the company typically does.

Go for things of simpler design that have practical use of complicated designs. Maintain your goods better. For clothing, buy multiples; a suit worn everyday survives a year. Two suits alternated everyday survive 3 years each.
>>
File: TruthOfPlannedObsolescence.jpg (564KB, 1325x819px) Image search: [Google]
TruthOfPlannedObsolescence.jpg
564KB, 1325x819px
I'm worried nobody heard me the first time. A few of you know what I'm talking about here.
>>
>>136322954
>boots that i had for almost 10 years
No. Fucking. Way. You didn't even use them then.
>>
>>136316963
Read a science book
>>
>>136323073
i used to hike in them all the time
>>
>>136322954
My dad bought boots that were $150+ or more, even $200 because he thought the same as you did, that he could save money in a long term by buying expensive shit. He was pissed to find that it wasn't true.
>>
>>136319274
That made the U.S poorer since they couldn't trade with anyone
>>
>>136316085
Learn to fix shit yourself using automotive grade parts
>>
>>136323269
some brands are expensive but have shitty quality.
>>
I agree OP my graphics card just died and it's only a couple of years old. Plus I've bought a ton of headphones over the years.

Everyone is a moron here. Cars are almost the exact same price they were 30 years ago, but in effect are much cheaper because wages have gone up. Yet they will last just as long if not longer than the cars of 30 years ago.

So their argument is simply illogical. The gooks and electronics companies could make decent quality stuff for the same price they are selling it now if they wanted to.
>>
>>136323269
$200 is a cheap boot.
>>
>>136323013
I'm snorting obenauf's right now
>>
>>136319319
>This shit just goes over my head.

And this is the problem. You're one of those, "I don't want to know how the world works, I just want to understand my own little bubble" people. That's fine, the world is a complicated and scary place and it's easier if we pass the buck onto smarter and more resolved people.

The problem is the more people start doing this, the more the world goes to shit because then the only people who do understand shit are usually those of wicked character who want to do nothing but exploit.

Not understanding how everything works is a luxury that can't last forever.
>>
>>136323595
gj
>>
Society will tolerate some things breaking quickly but not others. Cars and TVs will work for a long time still, I find fridges and white goods do as well.

People will tolerate a kettle breaking, so they can have a little trip to Walmart to buy a new one. As for my graphics card well no one gives a shit about some gamer fag. So they can screw me over.

It all fits in into what is socially acceptable.
>>
>>136316085
>I could use them damnit. Now I have to hold them like a baby. And those fucking rechargeable batteries die in 2 hours at the best, I avoid buying batteries, I prefer a cord to the wall infinitely more than those rechargeable batteries.

You never worked construction.

I use dewalt cordless, Klein hand tools, some Milwaukee stuff.
>>
>>136323652
oh shut the fuck up you pseudo-intellectual douchenozzle
>>
>>136322459
>"Planned obsolescence" is bullshit.

Wheher its bullshit or not depends on what kind of product we're talking about but there has been numerous cases of planned and programmed obsolescence. Apple products for example are filled with code making the product lose its processing power and memory though time inorder to ensure that Apple products aren't around for long in the second hand markets.

Modern cars have a timed computer failure which forces you to drive to licensed maintenance where your cars computer is reset, updated and timer for your next appointment is set in without your knowledge. I used to work for a licensed maintenance and I still have my computer with all necessary software for doing this. Last time I had to actually repair something physically was back in 2013.
>>
>>136323013
>For clothing, buy multiples; a suit worn everyday survives a year. Two suits alternated everyday survive 3 years each.

Do you actually believe this? Why does a day off in between magically extend the number of days you can wear a suit?
>>
>>136321883
>i once bought a cheap pair of boots($30 or $40) for work from walmart

Get red wings
>>
>>136323652
Well you understand the world economics and world trade. Now what are you doing to influence world events to better the lives of white race? Nothing. Or even your own personal bubble, is your life made better now you have understanding of world events?
>>
>>136318208
>He really doesn't understand why quality items are 2-3x more expensive than Chinese crap
Where exactly do you buy these quality items?

Like, if I want screws that don't disintegrate when you screw them 2-3 times, or needlenose pliers that don't bend, or a lightbulb that doesn't burn out every month, where exactly do I go for those?
>>
>>136323926
>Modern cars have a timed computer failure which forces you to drive to licensed maintenance where your cars computer is reset, updated and timer for your next appointment is set in without your knowledge. I used to work for a licensed maintenance and I still have my computer with all necessary software for doing this. Last time I had to actually repair something physically was back in 2013.

Fucking hell, so I should avoid buying modern cars then. Get something older than 2010ish to avoid this.
>>
>>136324312
>>136324252

Stop
>>
>>136324340
It's the new spider meme.
>>
>>136323926
>Apple products for example are filled with code making the product lose its processing power and memory though time inorder to ensure that Apple products aren't around for long in the second hand markets.

And I should buy Android as well.
>>
>>136318439
>Superior Nippon denim stitched over 1000 times
>>
>>136324220
Here in Finland the older your car the more you pay taxes and insurance fees for it. This is all supposed to be for "ecological" reasons but when you take a look at the people behind these pieces of legislation you'll notice that they're either heavily influenced by automobile sales industry or are directly involved with car sales due to either owning a car sales business themselves or family own business.
>>
>>136324792
Yes they're making newer appliances to be more energy efficient but then they get busted as hell in 5 years and you throw the whole thing into the heap pile. How is THAT ecological vs. using the same freezer for a thousand years?
>>
>>136323982
no. i'd rather not look like i'm wearing clown shoes
>>
>>136324566
Androids have similar programs in them. So does Microsoft. Apple is just the most blatant in doing this since they've being trying to change EU laws on products making it so that the iphone you bought isn't legally really your but rather that you only rented it meaning selling it yourself would be considered theft. EU doesn't want to have none of it so Apple programmed their phones and computers to fail after a certain time period has passed.
>>
>>136324899
>How is THAT ecological vs. using the same freezer for a thousand years?

Its not but it is economical for those selling the products and their family members in politics.
>>
>>136318088
buy old tools second hand instead of new made in china shit.
>>
File: 1495237404760.png (246KB, 338x344px) Image search: [Google]
1495237404760.png
246KB, 338x344px
>>136316085
CONSUME!!!!!
>>
>>136318088
>>136318245
More like $25-30

Here's a Sears catalog from 1912:
https://archive.org/stream/catalogno12400sear#page/1036/mode/2up

Page 1036 is the shovels.
Quality shovels were $0.92, shitty shovels were about half that price.

A modern, quality shovel is about $22-25. This is pretty consistent, and in line with inflation.

However, there also also extremely cheap shovels available for under $10.
>>
>>136316085
>buying a $1 value product made by third worlders from Kike-o-Mart for $20 and complaining about quality

Stop buying retarded shit, you know it's shit just by the look of it. You can buy tons of decades old high quality manufactured used items on Ebay in some cases requiring just simple repairs and will last you a lifetime.
>>
>>136316085

Learn what to buy anon. Not everything is total shit. Rarely is the cheapest thing the best.
>>
>>136321086
do your research before you buy shit eg look up amazon reviews, reviews on youtube, etc
>>
>>136316768
>make all plastic parts out of metal
>vehicle is now twice as heavy, gets half the mileage
>rusts after a few years
>"b-but plastic is shit!"
>>
>>136316085
>I cant understand that electronics are being forced into more technology.
>I lack the will power or time to fix them myself.
>I can't take care of the shit I own.
>I don't spend the extra money to buy higher quality.
Stop being a stupid consumerist you idiot and learn to maintain your stuff.
>Build PC
>Take care of the thing
>It has last me 4 years without upgrading
>Learn to overclock it to get the last bit of extra juice out of it
>Invested in a more powerful CPU since the GPU is first to get changed.
Use your money properly and you won't have this shit. Even my car runs great and it has 250k miles on it. Everything that has broken on it as been minor and easily fixed.
>>
>>136316085
one word

chinese manufacturing

if you buy steel from them?
SUPRISE, it's 10% lead

If you buy a machine from them?
SUPRISE, it breaks because certain parts were fake (insert metal here) to cut costs.

Everything made in china is made for soros, not you.

Stop buying Chinese made and it will last, this is YOUR fault.
>>
>>136316085
I drive a 22 year old pickup truck even though I earn $75k plus bonus. Quit buying things to fill the void in your soul. Be happy with what you have.
>>
>>136316085
>old nintendo products (Gameboy SP and Earlier)
>near invincible, you have to be trying to destroy these things
>new nintendo products
>almost always break after 5 years of use
>>
>>136325897
In that catalog, they said invincible shovels. They fucking meant it.
>>
>>136323652
>the best lack all conviction
>while the worst are full of passionate intensity
>>
>>136326083
They don't rust if you use paint.
They used metal on cars for 100 years, they had solutions for problems metal had.
>>
>>136326562
Or I just buy plastic and shit lasts forever.
>>
>>136326136
The poster child for planned obsolescence is the fucking light bulb industry. Even 100% USA bulbs burn out easily? You know why? Cause in 1924 the industry collectively decided to fuck the consumer and they never stopped.

There are literally bulbs from 1901 still burning. It's not shitty parts. It's shitty companies.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKLip7Q_Y0s
>>
>>136326604
until it turns brittle
>>
>>136323073
Sometimes boots just fucking rock phamalm
My current ones are 7 years old and theyre the only shoesI use for anything other than running or formal events, still going strong
>>
>>136325897
>crucible steel shovel
fuck me with a 2x4, you won't find the likes of that anymore
>>
>>136326106
Common now, products were a lot more quality back in the day, dont be a fucking shill. I have a microwave that is 20 years old still working pristine condition and I guarantee it will outlast anything new today
>>
>>136326372
>Gameboy color
Dropped on concrete countless times, dropped from 20 ft onto carpet, still works
>Nintendo DS
Drop it once from arm-height and the hinge snaps
>>
>>136326747
It might also have something to do with the fact that the filament is heated to 3000 degrees and the tungsten atoms are literally flying off like bullets
The light bulbs that have been running since 1895 put out about as much light as a toaster coil
>>
>>136326562
>they had solutions for problems metal had.
Yeah, regularly repaint it and store it in a dry environment.

Metal has other problems that plastic doesn't and you can't god damn fix with new paint, like generally being ass in a collision and getting horrible mileage.
>>
>>136326372
My ps2 will probably outlast my ps3 and ps4.
>>
>>136326989
>The light bulbs that have been running since 1895 put out about as much light as a toaster coil
I would take eventually being too dim to reliably use after 60 years over burning out in 2-4 any fucking day.
>>
>>136326868
>Things were built with better quality back then.
>Big and chunky was better quality because you can retard mode it
I prefer newer efficient stuff myself personally. However what I have now is what was efficient at the time. Relatively new in this type of conversation which I personally think does a better job then what is from the past. There is going to be a time where I will have to buy new things however. Such as with my PC I do intend to build a completely new one but that is because I have some enthusiasm in it and a new job will help buying newer and better parts then previous build.

>>136326954
>I don't understand there is more points of failure between a brick and two bricks hinged together.
>>
buy once cry once

>Term to describe the purchasing of an expensive item, of excellent quality. Implies that the owner will, initially, have reservations or guilt for buying such an expensive item; however, the owner soon realizes they will only have to purchase the item once. Owing to its craftsmanship and durability, the item will have a long lifespan.
>>
File: 1496687062812.gif (2MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
1496687062812.gif
2MB, 360x202px
>>136325897
>in line with inflation
those are Jew stats give me the REAL stats
>>
>>136326372
>almost always break after 5 years of use
That's plastic bits sheering off or warping because they're trying to make shit light as possible. That's not planned obsolescence.

Planned obsolescence is Nintendo servers.

Also, shit like the internal batteries in Nintendo carts will invariably die, but that technically only affects shit like saving
>>
>>136327204
The ps2 has more games than you have time left on this earth to play them. It has to be invincible.
>>
I was helping my grandfather out making something the other day, and he referred to his tools as "legacy tools". When I asked him what he meant, he told me that those were things that his father (my great-grandfather) had when he was growing up.
They've got rust on them, sure, but they still work perfectly fine.
>>
>>136323982
truly patrician
>>
>>136327253
>eventually
those light bulbs were always that dim, it's why they lasted so long. The reason it lasted 100 years is because there's not enough current going through it to heat the filament to a point where it starts to vaporize. Yes it puts out about as much light as a candle but back in 1901 this was a lot of light for a dark street at night.
>>
File: 1495700018998.gif (4MB, 434x244px) Image search: [Google]
1495700018998.gif
4MB, 434x244px
>>136316432
No shekkelberg, I want shit that doesn't break and spend less money, not more.
>>
>>136328407
>>136328041
>>136327920
>>136327808
>>136327719
>>136327655
>>136327553
>>136327465
>>136327409
why don't you go and drink a bottle of boiling hot bleach
>>
>>136324212
Whole Foods
>>
>>136324212
Klein tools, Snap-On tools or any Japanese brand made in Japan
>>
>>136316085

Stop buying cheap shit OP. Problem solved.
>>
>>136316085
Planned obsolesce and shit products is entirely a capitalist creation. Free markets will have free-flowing information, and eventually garbage will get called out.

The market does have products that last, where there is demand. They capture a niche market, their volume is significantly lower so they must charge more. Plenty of companies selling quality products have gone out of business because a competitor that outsources to china/SE Asia can cut them by 10%-20%. Not much, but consumers will go towards the cheapest usually.

The internet and reviews of products being widespread is helping to correct this. If people know they're buying shit they 'probably' wont buy it.
>>
How long are laptops supposed to last?
>>
>>136326106
>build pc
>flagship gpu goes bad after ~6 months of use(cost me $429
>expensive fans rattle
>shitty($235) processor gets hot because industry leading Intel uses shitty thermal paste inside their chips
>>
I was just talking to someone about this this morning. The thing is that tons amid shit are cheaply made bullshit these days. Lots of tools are shit and the thing you said about pants getting holes the first day, fucking true as fuck. But there is one option and it sounds fucking retarded.
Buy expensive stuff.

Expensive boots like doc martens last like five years, especially if you have other shoes you wear and don't walk everywhere. An expensive car will be more reliable, get better mileage, and handle better. But you won't need to fix it as much and it'll last! in the long run, it's actually cheaper to buy the most expensive versions of stuff because they are still built to last and are higher quality.
Next time you need something like a refridgerator or washing machine, wait a little longer until you have the money to buy the better one. You'll be glad you did in a couple years and so will your wallet!
>>
>>136316085
You simply have to identify companies that make durable products, and buy those instead.
>>
>>136329189
>I buy shit and don't know how to control CPU temps.
I bet you don't even know how to delid.
>>
>>136316979
They will...if you can be price competitive. And then they drop the bomb on you every year that they're paying you 8-10% less for your product or you're fucking gone. And then eventually you're gone and China fills a barge with millions of dinnerware sets made by slaves and you go out of business to support them.
>>
>>136329355
agreed, this. we as consumers have the freedom, in my opinion, the relatively unique economic freedom to support the types of products and services we support. Society must realize this. I am personally in the opinion that local communities should produce many more commonly consumed goods and services locally
>>
Uh if I recall super smash bros. melee still holds up.
>>
>>136320275
Yeah, this, and even more broadly.

Every manufacturing process is susceptible to screw-ups. Back in the day, when a new product didn't work as well as expected or a glitch popped up in the manufacture of an old product, you basically treated it as a loss and scrapped the lot. At some point, someone said, "Eh, let's slap a generic label on them and see if anyone goes for it," and it turns out that they do, because humans are good at understanding price but not so good at understanding value. So they buy shitty stuff, it breaks, and then they buy it again.
>>
>>136330417
Why don't the leaders of these companies say something about the Jews? They know only whites will buy their high quality products anyhow.
>>
>>136329334
Be careful with this, it's easy to get lulled into the idea that big dollars automatically guarantees best quality but in real life you might actually just be getting kiked out of your money along with a Jewish song and dance about how great the product is.

>>136329355
Also be careful with this, name brand means nothing these days, it's just a commodity you purchase so you can slap a name previously known for quality on your cheap shit product to make a quick buck while permanently destroying the reputation of said name brand.
>>
>>136321883

They don't. A few years back, an anon who worked at an auto place told a story about car batteries. They had a range, including super-cheap ones with no warranty that might last a year if you were lucky; they were like $40 cheaper than the next model. One day this guy comes in and insists on the cheap one. The anon looks him up in the computer and realizes, holy shit, this guy is coming in EVERY NINE MONTHS to buy the same shitty battery (it's too small for the SUV he puts it in). So he sits the guy down and says, hey, look, if you get the slightly more expensive battery, it saves you more in the long run.

"Heck with that," says the guy. "I need something cheap!"

So he buys the shitty battery over and over again, apparently thinking that car batteries don't even last a year, because he can't understand value. He just thinks he's saving money.
>>
>>136330811
true, it's interesting to analyse and observe how people value essentially materialism through the consumption of goods and services
>>
>>136319341
no sorry pedro, you're wrong. I can go to t walmart and buy a 200 hundred dollar gun, or go to a gun store and buy the """same""" gun for 700. The actual, literal QUALITY of the materials in the gun vary VASTLY based on where you buy it. It's made by the same people, with the same specs, but the metal, springs, gears etc are shittier quality at wally.
I use guns as an example because it's something I asked myself a while ago. Like, why not go to walmart for cheap guns and shit? Thats why.
>>
>>136326604
>forever
Until it breaks or becomes obsolete... this is literally the threads whole subject
>>
>>136316432
>People want new shit

>Capitalists actually believe that.
>>
>>136316085
>Fucking planned obsolescence

It's a business model to make goyim pay more.
Are you against sheeple paying more and driving your economy? Are you a fucking communist or LITERALLY HITLER?

Such jewery is a part of successful business model. Deal with it.
>>
>>136326868
My old ass pentium 4 still works after 11 years of exploitation, requiring only PSU change and repair of the motherboard once.
>>
>>136316085
Buy German, Japanese, American, or european made shit and you'd solve your problem.
>>
File: 2crpouf.jpg (120KB, 638x361px) Image search: [Google]
2crpouf.jpg
120KB, 638x361px
>>136316085
I don't know about your shitty anecdotes but Pyrex is a material that USED to be better, and was consciously re-engineered to be worse. Nowadays your Pyrex glassware shatters if the temperature difference is too great.

>Pyrex glass cookware manufactured by World Kitchen is made of tempered soda-lime glass instead of borosilicate.[12] World Kitchen justified this change by stating that soda-lime glass was cheaper to produce, [...]. Unlike borosilicate, it is not as heat-resistant, leading to the potential increase in breakage from heat stress. European Pyrex is still made from borosilicate.

Fuck Pyrex.
>>
>>136332636
t. person with a computer bought in the last 6 years
>>
>>136316085
Just popping in to say planned obsolescence gets a hair up my ass like nothing else, and the fact it's so well known and obvious and people aren't vaporizing CEOs and sodomizing their wives and children on live tv is very upsetting.

I have, sitting next to me, an electric pencil sharpener (a Panasonic) that my dad got in college. This thing is fucking older than me and it works better than every pencil sharpener I used in elementary school to college, that just ruined pencils. Look, I get it, you made a product that works literally perfectly. At this point, there is nowhere to go but down for your business after everyone who needs a pencil sharpener buys one. But don't start making shit that fucking breaks. At least send a guy into my house with a fucking hammer to break it on its first birthday or something. At least them you're creating jobs.

/incrediblyboringblognoonesgiveashitabout
>>
>>136316432
I actually want a non-industrial washer that will last for more than half a decade with heavy use
>>
>>136316768
You can argue, but this guy is right. Would you buy a 500$ screwdriver set that is sitting beside a 12$ screwdriver set with the same amount of pieces? We dont have any impetus to pass off our tools to our children...just buy the cheap shit and spend the rest on...whatever. Goy...we are the cheap set of screwdrivers.
>>
>>136333358
Thats why vintage pyrex is worth a lot of money
>>
>>136316432
>Its not some vast conspi-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebus_cartel
>>
>>136316963
It's funny how little alternators and lead-acid batteries have progressed over a century.
>>
File: Moar.jpg (235KB, 746x982px) Image search: [Google]
Moar.jpg
235KB, 746x982px
>>136322459
Do you have a printer? Some modern printer literally have a chip that makes them useless after you printed enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwldr-9wHq0
>>
>>136316432
No you fucking idiot, I want shit that works for a long time.
>old fridge lasted for almost 30 years despite being made in a Soviet shithole
>new fridge is dying after 10 years
wow capitalism is so good, so glad I'm part of the E U R O P E now
>>
>>136336690
Dude that's exactly what's happened with my printer at work, I've tried everything to fix it.
>>
>>136316085
truth bomb.
I have a 40 year old 16mm film camera that still works fine, this is precision machinery where micrometers of error would render it useless. And it works perfectly fine with just the occasional maintenance.
>>
>>136336204
(east?) german bro telling it like it is
>>
>>136317143
I've got around twenty chisels I bought years ago at a local market... all Sheffield steel or heavy tang Aus made stuff... every chippy I ever worked with coveted them... 3/4 inch butt chisel 8 bucks.. ten bucks for a 1960s hariis plane, 15 for a small adze
>>
>>136336690
This is why I don't have a printer. If I ever need to print something I go to the copy/print place five minutes from where I live. Each print costs a few cents, each year I spend no more than 2 or 3 europoors on printing stuff. No printer would last enough to make it a worthwhile expense.
>>
>>136316432
>There is just no market for long lasting products
This is the only thing you got right. Of course there isn't a market for long lasting products, because then they can't get you to buy new ones every few years.
>>
File: 1475826266455.png (157KB, 533x585px) Image search: [Google]
1475826266455.png
157KB, 533x585px
>ITT people defending planned obsolescence
Good goys
>>
>>136337195
Based Russians made them infinite so if you're a NEET comic autist like me it's comfy.
Stay pleb.
>>
File: day_of_the_rope.png (392KB, 816x684px) Image search: [Google]
day_of_the_rope.png
392KB, 816x684px
>>136337673
>NEET comic autist like me
day of the rope
soon
>>
>>136332636
Yeah people do. Do you not think normalfags aren't dropping more than half a thousand each time they pump out an iphone every couple years even if their old phone worked fine?
>>
>>136337805
If you make a product and sell it to become a NEET, that's capitalism.
>>
>>136318004
>Glass based consumer infrastructure only works if you recycles. Did you recycle? Did your neighbors recycle?

in the UK milk used to be delivered in glass bottles that you gave back to the milkman.

now there are no more milkmen.
>>
>>136337869
If you make a product you're not a NEET, idiot.
>>
File: 1500718981351.png (11KB, 420x387px) Image search: [Google]
1500718981351.png
11KB, 420x387px
>>136337918
It feels like it though.
I'm a trans-NEET
>>
File: 1499502903702.png (337KB, 1144x888px) Image search: [Google]
1499502903702.png
337KB, 1144x888px
>>136337878
probably because women weren't there to get the milk because they got careers because men wanted them to so they'd stop fucking the milkman.
>>
>>136316085
Planned obsolescence is a meme invented by faggots who think dropping a smartphone from the balcony is their birthright.
>>
Back prior to the 70s, many goods were built to last because people saw their purchase as a single time investment. They couldn't afford replacements. There was no demand for disposable goods because such a concept didn't exist.
>>
>>136316085
Capitalism at work. The auto industry is the worst aspect of capitalism (well other than moral decay and money worship)
>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnYPOkzy-oI&t=22m0s
>>
>>136316085
planned obsolescence is just a meme you faggot. reason why shit breaks is because faggots like you go only after price a buy whatever is cheaper by $5 on $2000 price tag. Hyper low prices can only be achieved by manufacturers by saving as much as they can.

If you buy quality stuff (not cheap). all my stuff lasts because i dont but cheap shit. As my grandfather use to say "I am not rich enough to afford cheap stuff"
>>
File: 1468429326839.jpg (33KB, 320x403px) Image search: [Google]
1468429326839.jpg
33KB, 320x403px
>>136338765
You, and everyone else who sprouts this false bullshit, are invited to read my previous posts.
But the shilling in this thread is really intense as you can see witht that fag who tried to derail it with a fuckton of hentai.
>>
>>136316085
1 China/Asia made shit instead of local made stuff
2 Government and Parliament doesn't impose actual standards and regulations useful to filter out garbage manufacturing and help that sector with good laws and efficient administration
3 People have become cheap and will buy cheap shit instead of giving out another 1-2 bucks for quality material
4 Manufacturers have gotten lazy and money crazed

I just do my best to avoid, at any cost, anything made in Asia.
Fuck China, India, Vietnam, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Taiwan, Korea, Japan made crap.
Those countries enjoy a high standard of living and advancement because of dumb "whito piggu".
>>
>>136336906
fuck your fridge
>>
PHOEBUS
CARTEL
>>
>>136338071
No one says it about smartphones, it's about shit like appliances. They are ABSOLUTELY shittier than they used to be.
>>
>>136321060
I'm sure this isn't the original. It's a furfag in a full suit is it not?
>>
>>136341557
same
>>
>>136319653
Meh, german quality is still good to go, if you buy chinese stuff expect it to break after a few uses. And germany is close to us. Your dad shouldve told you this, else it probably means he's a betaboomer.
>>
>>136321086
Buy things from German companies, they love good products. For washing machines etc. buy newer models, preferably one which will be produced for quite some time still. Look for models which are easy to maintain or easy to replace parts for. Look for signs of quality, ask people who know their shit about those products. For tools, this means reinforced steel at the tips for example. You should also maintain and learn to do repairs for your stuff. Spend some money on it, your dad did so as well. The way to do this is by not buying everything at once, but slowly build up a good set of tools and equipment.
>>
>>136316085
Are you sure you're not just mistreating your possessions?
The only item I've had to replace due to wear in the past five or so years are my headphones, the foam covering the earpieces wore away from use.
But beyond that I can't really think of any possessions of mine that spontaneously stopped working.
>>
File: Moleskinhose_original.jpg (144KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Moleskinhose_original.jpg
144KB, 1200x1200px
>>136316085
>Look at pants. If I get down on my knees to do some work, they get holes in them on the same day.

buy German army moleskins, the originals, and you will not be disappointed
>>
>>136323939
The fact that is gets some rest, but I think that is minimal. The real deal here is when you have multiple of something, you can differentiate their uses. I.e. use the newer and nicer suit for important meetings, interviews, client stuff, use the old one for daily wear and tear. If you had just one, you couldn't do that and would be forced to get a new one if the old one looks too worn out to wear for anything fancy.
>>
>>136337043
>(east?) german
What has that to do with it? I've only ever been to Berlin as furstest east. Do Ossis still have the keep it mentality from before the fall?
>>
Buy yourself enterprise grade hardware, not consumer shit
>>
>>136325107
They allow you to bypass it though.
Apple's approach is to make new updates slow down your phone more and more, android does the same but you can go into the settings and disable updates.
>>
>>136316085
Capitalism is about staying a rut and making money. Progress and evolution of tech only happen once the previous has had all of its worth strangled out of it by the kike and people are either bored of it and/or everyone has one. Once that happens you release the "update" and start the rat race off again. Sad.
>>
>>136323939
>a day off in between magically extend the number of days you can wear a suit
The fibers in clothing are stretched out (even unnoticeably) when you wear them; a day being unworn will extend the life of your clothes; shoes should never be worn 2 days in a row if it can be helped too
>>
>>136334888
I'm shitposting on a decade old laptop.
>>
>>136340499
what the fuck faggot
>>
>>136316085

Making things that last for generations is pretty easy. The true test of an (((engineer))) is making something that will last for 2 years exactly, no more, no less. That takes subtlety and skill.
>>
>>136316085
Fuck you boomer, it's your fault so quit bitching
>>
>>136341184
>Fuck China, India, Vietnam, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Taiwan, Korea, Japan made crap.
I wouldn't lump Japan in with those countries.
>>
>>136347019
Oh fuck off man child. And stop larping you are not a revolutionary.
>>
File: 1499994745263.png (448KB, 744x900px) Image search: [Google]
1499994745263.png
448KB, 744x900px
>>136316085
>tfw you realize the only things that last any length of time is Music-Oriented Hardware and Firearms
>>
File: jew2.jpg (82KB, 700x474px) Image search: [Google]
jew2.jpg
82KB, 700x474px
>>136316432
>There is just no market for long lasting products
>>
>>136323045
t.sholomo
>>
>>136344340
So business laptops instead of consumer laptops?
What are some other quality shit?
>>
>>136346266
Just read the god damn thread.
>Hurr, there aren't no industries that are interested in you buying everything again and again by building in a few especially weak parts that are coincidentily not removable (Iphone for example). Never question these practices goy, it is absoloutly normal to produce faulty products
>>
>>136316085
its fucked up

I have a HP laptop from 2013, its working fine...a while ago it started getting really hot, but I cannot access the fans to clean out the dust without dismantling the ENTIRE thing, I even have to remove the keyboard from the front just to get to the internals..the only thing you can see when you remove the back panel is the HDD and the ram, everything else is sectioned off by plastic so the access is only through the front

it was obviously engineered to make it as annoying and tedious as possible for the average joe to maintain, so he'd give up and just buy a new laptop
>>
>>136348918
Fucking Jews, man, fucking Jews.
>>
File: cable.jpg (29KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
cable.jpg
29KB, 480x360px
>>136348918
>it was obviously engineered to make it as annoying and tedious as possible for the average joe to maintain
Exactly. Sometimes things are specifically made to break at some point, like many modern cables for phones. Little trick is to use a spring out of a pen
>>
>>136318088
My grandpa made his own shovels and rakes and we still use them for gardenwork after well over 60 years.
>>
>>136321086
even thoug the new shovels are bad, they are still made with iron so you should be able to case harden them
>>
>>136316085
C A P I T A L I S M
Thread posts: 212
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.