[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are electirc cars so politicized? The left loves them,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 37

Why are electirc cars so politicized?

The left loves them, the right hates them
>>
I wasn't aware the right hated them. Explain.
>>
>You can drive a typical Mercedes E-class for eight years before you do as much damage to the environment as a Tesla. One of the reasons for this is the super-heavy batteries used in electric vehicles.

>Millions upon millions of e-cars also means millions upon millions of such batteries. Raw materials such as lithium and cobalt are in high demand. But where does cobalt come from? Well, at least to an overwhelming extent it come from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), a nation rocked by civil war and large-scale corruption. It's mainly child laborers who have to dig out the ore. But without cobalt from the DRC you can forget about any fantasies about e-cars.

http://archive.is/w9b2g
>>
>>135393502
i just hate their pr campaign. the car, concept and underlying logic? win/win
>>
>>135393706
At least in the US

The Koch brothers puts aside millions to lobby against them
Tesla sales are banned in some states

Alot of right wingers see electric cars as some liberal hippie shit like a Prius >>135393770
https://electrek.co/2017/06/05/electric-cars-cleaner-than-gas-powered/
>>
Leftists are dumb enough to think they're good for the environment
>>
>>135393502

Anyone who owns one or has driven one loves them, unless you're obsessed with internal combustion.

There is simply no contest. In 50 years internal combustion will seem as quaint as horse drawn carriages seem to us.
>>
Electric cars are a meme. The current technology isn't sustainable, there isn't even enough Lithium on earth to replace all regular cars in USA and Europe.

Hydrogen could replace regular gas, if they find a cheaper method to produce it.
>>
>>135393835
link is about tesla cars, not prius's
>>
>>135393502

They're just totem poles.

When we start to see electric "muscle cars" enjoyed by idiot normies, lefties will find something to venerate.
>>
>>135393849
>Leftists are dumb enough to think they're good for the environment

That is a big deal, but that's not why they are awesome. The best comparison that lots of people have experienced is electric golf carts vs gasoline powered. One seems modern, the other seems like farm equipment. Same goes for cars. Once you go EV, you never go back.
>>
>>135393947
>Hydrogen
fuck yeah
>>
>>135393502
Electric cars are really gay number one and number two they cost a fuck of a lot to make and still fuck up the environment while making them
>>
>>135393849
sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. Same for conservatives.
>>
>>135393706
Government subsidies for buying electric cars. At the expense of every other tax payer.
>>
>>135393897
They were saying that 50 years ago when the first oil embargoes hit.
>>
File: kirk2.jpg (33KB, 450x336px) Image search: [Google]
kirk2.jpg
33KB, 450x336px
>>135393502
I don't hate them.
>>
>>135393502
They wouldn't be so bad without the externalities of lithium mining. In a macro-sense, they're terrible.

See >>135393770

However, I don't mind them for saving gas at the pump, if that's your deal.

Also I'm not really a "right winger", I'm more of a patriot/nationalist with central economic beliefs.
>>
>>135393502
Electric cars are simply better.No pollution, no noise, better acceleration, much more reliable (less moving parts, no gearbox), can recharge at home etc., only problem is the recharge time
>>
>>135393502
I'm right and i like them.
Too bad Australia's grid can't support all cars hoping electric.

We need nuclear reactors.
>>
>conservatives like traditional things
>progressives like new things
wow its almost like its in the name
>>
>>135393835
In my state at least, the sale of Teslas wasn't banned, but the way Tesla wanted to do business was in violation of the law and Tesla decided to be autistic about it rather than follow the law.
>>
>>135393502
Conservatives don't like change.
>>
I think it's gay.

>make environmentally friendly car
>make shitty hybrids with low power and ugly looks for the public
>no kickback cuz "muh gasoline" is still used
>make high performance hybrids and electric cars that can compete
>make it so expensive only rich folk can buy it
>they get kickbacks from the government for being good to the environment
>none of these cars are even better for the environment
>>
>>135394079

>No pollution
The car and it's components are produced by grand wizards and as such no pollution is produced via manufacturing and maintenance.
>much more reliable
A puncture in a lithium battery produces an exothermic reaction that can produce and explosion and has a much higher fire chance than gas. Sure you are less likely to get a minor malfunction but if a major one happens, shit hits the fan.
>>
>>135393502
Electronics in cars is just a means for governments to control your cars.
>>
File: Coyote-e1349279806332.jpg (83KB, 800x666px) Image search: [Google]
Coyote-e1349279806332.jpg
83KB, 800x666px
>>135394029
>They were saying that 50 years ago when the first oil embargoes hit.

Battery and electronic technology is the only reason EV has not taken over. If they could improve the batteries, get away from dangerous lithium, etc., it will happen overnight. Maybe batteries will always suck, but if they can fix that issue, only nuts will crave old tech.

I love pic related as much as anyone, but goddamn imagine trying to work on an old one.

Think about drones vs. RC planes from 20 years ago. It's like Jetsons vs. Flintstones.
>>
Biggest problem with electric cars is their range, gotta recharge the batteries every 150 kilometers or so with current technology. And Germany is limping behind on creating a decent network of charging stations, so buyers are disappointed with the inconvenience. And since we're limping behind on "renewable energy" too and moving back to coal after shutting down our atomic reactors producing electricity creates more pollution than before.

Otherwise the tech is pretty cool, electric scooters have become a huge thing in China and have replaced fuel scooters almost completely. Much less noise and no pollution, at least not inside the city perimeter, nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>135394079
I'll agree with the other parts but the pollution one is a meme. Half of a cars carbon footprint is before it's sold. Unless they make manufacturing way less dirty (Cobalt and Lithium mining) it's at best as good as most cars for the first 8 years you drive it, if not worse in some cases.

German-anon said it best when he mentioned hydrogen. And the benefit with that is you can produce electricity with it to push electric cars around without having a massive pile of lithium fire hazards around you.
>>
>>135394411
Tesla Model S 100D
has 500 km range.
>>
>>135394344
>>
>>135394402
>goddamn imagine trying to work on an old one
You're aware that there's an absolutely massive, multi billion dollar market for old cars because people prefer them to soulless newer stuff, right?
>>
>>135394079
For them to be in common use, there will have to be infrastructure support. Recharge time is the big problem. The only viable solution would be battery packs that swap out. You'd basically stop at a service station and trade out your depleted battery for a charged battery pack for a fee. This would probably be an automated process. The Real a 3 had a rumored range of over 300 miles on a single charge. My conventional 2013 Honda Accord regularly gets almost 600 miles on a 16 gallon tank of gas. Electric will have to.beat that to compete.
>>
>>135393502
Right pushes for oil companies.
Left pushes for car companies.
WOW MYSTERY SOLVED.
>>
>>135394516
>soulless
Define "soul".
Cars are utilities to get from A to B as comfortably, fast and economically as possible.
If you care about looks, /fa/ might be up your alley.
>>
>>135394079
No Tesla can compete with a Camry
>>
The left also hates nuclear energy, which is the most powerful and cleanest energy sourc ethat we will ever have.
>>
>>135394516

yes. I suppose horse technology had a similar phase.

Anyway, I hate religious discussions, so I'm out.
>>
>>135394079
Until you take in to account production of said electric vehicle the story changes.
>>
Here's the interior btw
>>
File: seafuel.jpg (142KB, 1087x664px) Image search: [Google]
seafuel.jpg
142KB, 1087x664px
>>135393947
>Hydrogen could replace regular gas, if they find a cheaper method to produce it.
Synthetic gas and diesel can replace regular gas and diesel, remove sulfur vehicles emissions, lower our electric costs and end all power plant stack emissions.

The future isn't in new engines and power sources; It's in new fuel sources.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8zOHZINyG8

Extract the carbon to dissolves into water, crack water into oxygen and hydrogen. Combine hydrogen and carbon to make new hydrocarbons. Burn the hydrocarbons in vehicles emitting CO2 into the air. The water absorbs the CO2 out of the air completing the cycle.

Energy input comes from nuclear reactors that operate in the nighttime low electrical demand period.
This solves the problem of not being able to economically replace all electric power generation with nuclear due to the uneven grid demand, any potential shortage of oil, CO2 emissions if you care about those, sulfur emissions that everyone should care about and it will stabilize the price of fuel forever allowing everyone to better plan for costs of operation.
>>
>>135394594

>Cars are utilities to get from A to B as comfortably, fast and economically as possible.
And that's why we can't have nice things Hans, because of your autistic kind.
>>
>>135394502
We'll, he is not too far off there.
Specially for self driving cars.

I like electric engines, not self driving cars.
>>
Electric cars are a meme, and an easy way out for a government to make it seem like they care for the environment by banning petrol cars, when really they are just shifting the problem to producing electricity and batteries.
If the government really cared, they would develop next generation public transport systems, but thats too hard
>>
>>135394411
No such thing as no pollution. Rare earth metal extraction and byproducts is not good for the environment.
>>
the left invests in green energy, the right invests in old energy (oil, coal, etc.)
>>
>>135394252
Factories arent in the city so it doesnt affect your health.And I'm not talking about CO2 meme but CO, NO2, SO3 that are actually harmful if millions of cars produce it in the middle of the city
>>
It's mostly poor fags complaining about electric cars because they can't afford a Model S that has decent range and is quicker than almost every combustion engine dinosaur.
QQ
>>
>>135394667
Elon Musk must be a great con artist if he can convince lefties that this ugly ass cheap looking interior is worth paying thousands of dollars for.
>>
>>135394502
It's true though... The police have technology that can remote shutdown cars. They couldn't do that if cars were all mechanical.
>>
>>135394771

>Factories arent in the city so it doesnt affect your health.
But they can still pollute rivers.
> harmful if millions of cars produce it in the middle of the city
In all honestly cars shouldn't be allowed in cities.
>>
>>135394742

I've met a man who worked (long story) in a Coltan mine in the DRC. It sounded fucked up and not at all environmentally friendly.
>>
>>135394815
It's minimalist!
>>
>>135394501
Oh, didn't know that. I got the 150km from a documentation about Germany's electric car industry, so either that info is outdated or Tesla simply stuffs more batteries into them than we do.
>>
>>135394501
>Tesla Model S 100D
>has 500 km range.
And takes 52 hours to recharge on a 110v connection in case your destination doesn't have a 240v special plug in. Which then only takes 10 hours when the batteries are brand new.
>>
>>135394771
What is the water table?
>>
>>135393897
anyone who has driven one cant really drive a car, it is all people who want to go from point a to b without any effort and just want to surf the kikebook and assgram on the way thinking they are saving the environment, horrible people drive electric cars, and they are really smug about it
>>
>>135394957
>Tesla simply stuffs more batteries into them
Yes, that's why it costs over 100,000 EUR.
>>
>>135394964
110v etc is for overnight plug into the outlet charging
CHADEMO is for fast charging which takes like 15-30 minutes
>>
>>135394981
>What is the water table?
A level below surface that water can generally be found in an area.
>>
>>135393502
Left loves them because muh environment. The right SHOULD love them since it fucks over muslim countries whose only value to the western world is oil. Imagine it. No reason to be involved in any wars in the middle east. Figure out who wants us to remain there is who hates electric cars.
>>
>>135394964
230V is standard in Europe and fast chargers are becoming more ubiquitous.
Norway has free fast chargers in cities.
>>
>>135394687
I read somewhere, that this method requires a lot energy and thus is still too expensive.

I hope they get the cold fusion to work in our lifetimes. Most technological issues we have are mostly energy issues.
>>
>>135393502
They have no soul.
>>
File: KIMG0075.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0075.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>135394402
>I love pic related as much as anyone, but goddamn imagine trying to work on an old one.
Have one. Daily driver is a 2013 Honda Accord. Weekend car is a 1964 Buick LeSabre with a 7 liter Cadillac big block V8. Added modern front disc brakes along with some other upgrades, but it's still an amazingly simple machine. Certainly not as refined as a modern car, since there are no onboard computers or variable valve timing and such. But it works and as long as you can do basic math.and read at a 6th grade level, is easy to maintain. And despite the supposed lack of refinement, it rides and handles as well as a modern car of similar size with sufficient power. It's just really thirsty compared to a modern car of similar size and power.
>>
>>135393947
>>135393770
>>135394071

Electric is the future.
There are lots of very promising alternatives to Li-batteries.
Sodium and sulfur based ones, for example.

Just a few months ago a solid state sodium glass battery caused huge uproar, especially beceause it was developed by the same guy who came up with the Li-ion battery.
Guy goes by the name John Goodenough.

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/07/25/solid-state-batteries-why-toyotas-plans-could-be-a-game-change/
>>
File: 1496398574332.jpg (130KB, 494x254px) Image search: [Google]
1496398574332.jpg
130KB, 494x254px
Trumpist logic:
If you don't pollute America, you hate America.
>>
>>135394742
That's why I mentioned that it's about less pollution in densely populated areas.
>>
>>135395095
So much this!
>>
>>135394667
Hopefully that guy they hired from Volvo can fix this.
>>
>>135394411
The problem with electric bikes is that they are always going to be scooters. No clutch means no wheelies and no stunting. The limited range means no touring. It's fine for the city but it doesn't replace a motorcycle.
>>
>>135395304
That's the work of the Volvo guy
>>
File: 1501113137295.jpg (185KB, 750x822px) Image search: [Google]
1501113137295.jpg
185KB, 750x822px
>>135393770
>>135393770
>>135393770
>>135393770

This OP. Once again it's the right using logic and math vs virtue signalling. There's nothing wrong with electric cars but don't try and tell me you're 'saving the planet'
>>
>>135393897
there is a contest, theyre probably more expensive to make than an equally shitty chinese car
manufacture them cheaply and safe enough and people will buy them
>>
>>135394166
explain please
>>
>>135395064
>CHADEMO is for fast charging which takes like 15-30 minutes
What is that?

The fastest charging is the "Tesla Supercharger" which only charges at 300 miles of range per hour, on brand new equipment.

For reference a gas pump fills at a rate of 500km / min or about 60 times faster.
>>
The right only hates them because muh jobs

>Get job making electric cars
>We're overpopulated anyway, buh-bye underclass :^)
>>
>>135393502
the effort it takes to make the batteries for those electric cars does far more damage to the environment than the natural lifespan of a gasoline-powered car

it goes right back to virtue signaling with the left. it always does. like with the mentally ill demanding $$$ to go through body altering surgery and shit - they are on the same page as the rest of the country in government aid and support but that isnt' enough. they have to have more and be given more than the rest. scumbags just want it all for nothing
>>
>>135395336
Pretty sure I had already seen that by the time he got hired, we shouldn't see his work until next year.
>>
I can't wait till oil is gone/unaffordable and all the fucking hicks whose entire masculinity and self-worth is in their truck are suddenly unable to drive them.

I hope they then either change or commit suicide. Would be happy with either
>>
>>135394667
Have you ever been in a model S? I have and it's nothing special. If nothing else, it's pretty damn annoying because you have to give up tactile feedback and control shit through their touch screen.
>>
>>135393770
Who gives afuck about ded niggers?
>>
>>135394667
Big rule for leaving electronics in a car, keep them out of sight.
What do they do? Put a big fucking tablet right in the center. Tyrone's gonna be pretty happy
>>
>>135395206
>I read somewhere, that this method requires a lot energy and thus is still too expensive.
That's really a question of the cost of energy from your nuclear reactor. The navy design was estimating a high end cost of about $6USD/gallon for JP-5 made on a ship following a carrier task group around. A scaled up landed based system using a cheaper reactor drops that to and estimate of about $2.50USD/gallon. Which doesn't include the economy of having nuclear reactors replace the whole electric grid.

>I hope they get the cold fusion to work in our lifetimes. Most technological issues we have are mostly energy issues.
We already have breeder fission reactors that offer all the cost energy savings of fusion, the same trace amounts of waste, the same massive supply of fuel, but actually work.
>>
File: 1500298655148.jpg (944KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1500298655148.jpg
944KB, 1600x1200px
>>135395549
:^)
>>
>>135395714
If that's true, the we are all retards for not building nuclear power plants all over place and use thorium reactors for the waste. For me, it would be ok for the government to subsidize the Thorium reactors to counter the negative externalities of nuclear power. I really hate, how goverments always act so ideologically driven
>>
>>135395393
This is a big kick for electric vehicles. The infrastructure just isn't there for enough people to plan ahead.

If you want to drive across country, every 300 miles or so you will need to stop for half an hour. This also means you need to plan your route accordingly.

As a daily commute vehicle it's not terrible if your round trip is less than 300 miles, which for a lot of people it is.

It's definitely not a vehicle of complete convenience, and people like convenience.
>>
>>135393897
If you don't enjoy the sound of a good v6 or v8 you shouldn't be allowed to drive anyways'
>>
>>135396047

Define good. V6's are in a lot of vehicles now.
>>
>>135395950
Well on the bright side the greenies have manages to convince governments all over the world to dump hundreds of billions into useless wind and solar power.

That shows it's possible in theory to get them to support breeder reactors, and the LFTR design.
>>
>>135396047
>muh sound
Confirmed attention whore.
>>
>>135396039
>If you want to drive across country, every 300 miles or so you will need to stop for half an hour. This also means you need to plan your route accordingly.
An hour, not 30min.
It's 60min to get 300 miles of charge with their fastest charging tech.
I can only wonder how they will avoid fires when people start showing up with slightly older batteries.
>>
>>135396194
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS4Dh_EAfJI
Please, fuck off.
>>
>>135396194
> thinking the person inside the car cannot enjoy the sound
>>
File: anime_laughter_18.gif (3MB, 250x255px) Image search: [Google]
anime_laughter_18.gif
3MB, 250x255px
>>135393835
>Koch brothers
>right-wing
>>
>>135394594
Like >>135394594 said, your autism killed fun in the automotive industry.
Even on "performance" cars, there's tons of needless additions that have been added for the sole purpose of isolating you from everything. You used to hit the gas and feel it as much as you heard it, but now you might as well be playing a video game with how much effort manufacturers have put into detaching the driver from everything thanks to people like you being NPC's.

>>135394643
>Smugfedoraresponse.tar

>>135395376
Manufacturers couldn't sell directly to the customers here because dealerships claimed it was unethical for the manufacturers to charge them to sell their brand only to pull the rug out from under them by offering the cars direct to the customers themselves.
Instead of challenging this law, Tesla just stuck its fingers in its ears and shouted "Lalala I can't hear you!" and tried to open outlets anyways, then raged when the state told them to fuck off.
If they properly challenged the law in court, they likely could have won, but they decided to be stupid about it. Luckily for them, the state legislature is trying to do the work for them. Democrats put forth a bill to allow a specific exception for Tesla along with tax breaks and other goodies, but it hasn't passed yet because Republicans are fighting it.
>>
>>135393502
>Why are electirc cars so politicized?

because politicians are pushing to ban every single other car

See France which announced a complete ban on petrol cars in a few years
>>
>>135396537
Well, they are. They're as ancap as it gets.
>>
Electric cars are gay like you op.
>>
>>135395549
You know America is on its way to being completely fuel independent. Keep saying that when you'll be buying gas from us.
>>
>>135396551
>feel it as much as you heard it,
You realize that noise and any vibration you feel is wasted energy, right? Energy that is not transformed into forward motion.
>>
>>135396677
Ancap =\= right wing
>>
File: P1J04890s-970x647.jpg (80KB, 970x647px) Image search: [Google]
P1J04890s-970x647.jpg
80KB, 970x647px
>>135396194
https://youtu.be/sxXtpMngivM

If you aren't aroused by this you aren't human.
>>
>>135393502

I'm not aware of a general dislike on the Right, but it's really just a symptom of the larger "culture war".

Leftists that I've talked and listened to about the subject (not all, but many though purely anecdotal) can be of the opinion that a mixed system of (currently) short range electric cars and public transportation are the future. They then argue that for those outside of major cities who use cars to travel longer distances for work or trips should just rent regular vehicles for those times and deal with short range electrical cars because it's "for their own good". Generally, rural populations in the US don't find that a compelling argument, and depending on the region there are very real historical reasons for this (especially Appalachia). While electric vehicles, when they reach the range possible of a fossil fuel powered vehicle, are good for cutting emissions (though in the short term actually not because it means waste due to manufacturing) they ignore that they would react the same way were the tables turned.
>>
>>135396744
That's some prime autism, Hans.
>No fun allowed, fun is not efficient
>>
>>135394079
I have no time to argue, but holy shit, kys you fucking autist
>>
>>135394411
Even the lowest range Tesla is 220 miles, with the top of the line being 350 miles, that about 500km. Not bad for a 10 year old company.
>>
>>135394502
He isn't wrong.
>>
>>135395549
Don't worry! Electric trucks are coming out and they have way more storage spce than ICE trucks. Anyone who's serious about work trucks will buy electric in less then 10 years.
>>
File: 1500183188819.jpg (401KB, 1889x1959px) Image search: [Google]
1500183188819.jpg
401KB, 1889x1959px
>>135393502
>the right hates them

Wrong.
Big petrol hates them.
The Saudies hate them.
The car dealerships and franchises hate them.
Basically every band of fat cronies that made piles of money from cars in the past hates electric.
So they pay for hit pieces in the media to tell you to hate them, too.
>>
File: 0ac.gif (166KB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
0ac.gif
166KB, 240x180px
>>135398058

This,

It also can be said for any "ECO friendly" tech. A little investment eventually pays for itself with cost savings.

We also have retards who think that coal has a chance at 4x the cost of natural gas here in 'Murica because they think regulations are the reason its so expensive to claw out of the earth and transport.
>>
>>135397916
>anyone who's serious about work trucks

Lets be honest, this is like 5% of truck owners.
Most people driving trucks around are hauling loads of 9 cubic meters of air.
>>
>>135394964
Most homes in the US are 240v due to the split-phase design and the fact that most large appliances are. It's actually pretty easy to add a sub panel and get 50A or 60A of 230/240 with relative ease. If you're paying for a $100k car that's pennies
>>
>rich persons car
>left loves em'

wut? im confused
>>
>>135400014
It's another $5000 for the electrical work. Plus the cost of the charger which isn't included with the car.
>>
>>135400692
>It's another $5000 for the electrical work.
saucez?
>>
File: 1493029546861.jpg (140KB, 750x422px) Image search: [Google]
1493029546861.jpg
140KB, 750x422px
>>135394402
>The Law of Physics is the only reason EV has not taken over.

Good luck with that one.
>>
>>135400692
It isnt if you aren't a moron
>t. Son of Electrician
Sub panel: $100
Wiring: $20
Breakers for main panel and sub: $100 MAYBE
Fast charger: Either the Tesla branded one for $1000 or you can use any compatible, such as the one made by Leviton: $700
$920-$1000

Why you paying the electric Jews too many shekels anon?
>>
The first electric car was invented in 1840, for some reason people now think it's the way of the future...

It was a bad idea back then for the same reason its a bad idea now.

If they can get over the problem of batteries taking ages to refill, get it down to about 5 min with at least 8 consecutive hours of driving, then It would make sense, but still not be superior to internal combustion.
>>
>>135393502
They're expensive, a waste of rare metals, and create more pollution than a regular gas car
>>
>>135401261

heavy current is the key word.
>>
>>135401261
>5 min
Anything less than about 3 hours for a full charge would be commercially fine I think
>>
>>135393502
They're just a good way to save money on gas if you travel a lot
>>
>>135399380
But those people are a meme that will never die. I'd say it's 50/50. Imagine Ford loosing 30% of their F-150 sales to an electric car. The freak out would be massive. That's what BMW, AUDI and BENZ will experience in the next 2 years with their entry-luxury cars (3swries. A4, C-class). Tesla might singlehandedly destroy the German economy in the next 5 years. They already destroyed the German car market in Norway, its a sign of times to come.
>>
>>135401652
Normal car need extra fuel, pull into a station and 5 min later you're back on the road.

Electric car needs to pull into a refueling station and wait 3 hours? Nah, it would never catch on.

It would be workable for people that live in a city and refuel at home each night, so long as they never have to drive a few towns over for a family get together, or help someone move, or ya know, life in general.

But
>>
File: blackpill on oil.png (134KB, 1850x651px) Image search: [Google]
blackpill on oil.png
134KB, 1850x651px
>>135395549
>I can't wait till oil is gone/unaffordable

Never going to happen anon. In fact oil is going to get cheaper and cheaper as we frack more.
>>
>>135402379
Except it's not 3 hours, it's more like 30 minutes for every 350 miles. Americans aren't Europoors and they live in actual houses where they can charge overnight for dirt cheap (at least 50% less than gas)
>>
>>135402379
The tesla can literally have its batteries swapped out in under ten minutes
>>
>>135401261
>get it down to about 5 min with at least 8 consecutive hours of driving, then It would make sense

You are exaggerating. 99.9% of most rides are way shorter than 8 hours and people usually leave their car parked overnight. Just get a second shit-car for your holidays, or rent one.
>>
File: nope3.gif (497KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
nope3.gif
497KB, 200x200px
>>135402457

>this limited resource will never become scarce and expensive

Stop and think, dumbass.
>>
File: vargsmall.jpg (1KB, 30x29px) Image search: [Google]
vargsmall.jpg
1KB, 30x29px
>>135402573
We'll run out of rare metals first
>>
>>135393502
The Prius Paradox
>>
>>135393502
The right owns oil, the left owns companies that make electric cars.
>>
>>135401261
I guess they're right when they say all the smart Irish already left Ireland. Again Americans own homes and can charge overnight. 95% of driving is less than 100 miles a day and in the off chance you're gonna go on a roadtrip you can charge at a supercharge for 30 minutes for FREE. YES, FREE, AS IN FREE GAS, DUMBASS!
>>
>>135402487
And if more and more people are using/recharging electric cars, the price of electricity will go up, and the price of gasoline will go down as less people are using it.

Supply and demand.
>>
>>135397127
>Performance car needs to make cool noises for me instead of actually performing
Autism
>>
>>135402737
Nothing is free.
>>
File: 1480004517484.jpg (58KB, 900x594px) Image search: [Google]
1480004517484.jpg
58KB, 900x594px
>>135402573
Oil is a renewable. You've been lied to in order to keep oil price high.
>>
>>135401141
I notice you didn't pay anyone or pull a permit.
Your wire cost is way low unless you get you park your car directly beside your panel.
>>
>>135402755
Nobody is saying ICE cars are gonna go anywhere in the next 50 years genius, there's just going to be less of them.
>>
>>135402737
>gasoline works fine 100% of the time. electric works fine 95% of the time

>gasoline btfo
>>
>>135394402
>imagine trying to work on an old one
why imagine?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XJE-2KNH-Y
>>
>>135403012
>drive out of your way to fill up your car and smell like shit because you have to wash all the pleb sweat and grass off your skin

>just park at home and go to sleep

GASOLINE POTATO NIGGERS BTFO
>>
File: bmw-s1000r-06.jpg (349KB, 1752x1168px) Image search: [Google]
bmw-s1000r-06.jpg
349KB, 1752x1168px
There's literally a scientifically proven positive correlation between people that don't ride bikes and people that like watching their partner get fucked by black men.
>>
File: 1500563851601.jpg (77KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1500563851601.jpg
77KB, 400x400px
>>135393835
>why aren't these stupid goyim sucking our dicks
>don't they know that destroying third-world villages with filthy mining techniques for our batteries is "clean energy" as long as only Chinks and Poos get the cancer!
>also the Chinks and Poos need to move into your white country now since you greedy white people who care nothing about the welfare of others destroyed their villages with your lust for batteries
>>
>>135393502
Literal NWO cuck-mobiles. Easily spied on, easily hacked and taken control of. Only nu-male faggots and dumb leftist women like them.
>>
>>135393502
>the right hates them
No they don't.
>>
>>135394950
It's $5 worth of tooling at best
>>
File: 1500849629111.png (42KB, 500x322px) Image search: [Google]
1500849629111.png
42KB, 500x322px
>>135393502
>the right hates them
Wrong
>>
>>135403160
>go home and go to sleep, then rent a real car for the weekend.
>>
>>135396331
is that when they switched from v6s to 4bangers?
>>
>>135394402
Upboated because old engines are icky and scary and instantly worthless once something new comes along.

Fag.
>>
>>135403548
>implying you drive more than 500km at anytime
>your whole country is less than 500km lol
>>
>>135403558
V8s to turbo V6 hybrids. They will probably push V4 soon.
>>
>>135403012
if you dont have any power in the grid then the fuel pumps aren't going to work either.
>>
>>135403700
That would almost be enough for me to drive to Dublin and back home, assuming I got out at Dublin and walked through the city, and did nothing else.

Otherwise I have to find a refueling station and wait 3 hours.

It's not practical. Maybe in another 10 years.
>>
File: liberal dream home.jpg (429KB, 792x530px) Image search: [Google]
liberal dream home.jpg
429KB, 792x530px
>>135394815
>lamp costs $2,032,000
>record player in the background costs over 200k
Lefties love this shit.
>>
Just the idea of arabs getting less money due to less need for oil, makes me love them.
>>
I'm right and I don't hate them.
CO2 is good its helping the trees grow.
It represents a diversity of our energy supply, eliminating a single point of failure for our society (oil depletion)
Apart from all the other things made from oil, that don't have an alternative.
>>
>>135393502
https://translate.google.se/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.svt.se%2Fnyheter%2Finrikes%2Felbilens-batteri-kan-vara-en-klimatvarsting&edit-text=&act=url

Tesla cucks BTFO
>>
>>135403814
>They will probably push V4 soon
Yeah probably that and going for more electric power. Formula racing has pretty much always been about the intersection of racing and current or future consumer products--like the fact that F1 fuel is near identical to gas at the pump or that F4 engines come directly out of street cars.
>>
>>135394594
>Cars are utilities to get from A to B as comfortably, fast and economically as possible.
And this is why Germans are known internationally as dour cunts
>>
>>135397127
No Hans is right. You just like being a cuck for (((them))). After all if you burn more energy, the money (((they))) make in energy production goes up.
>>
>my car needs to make loud vroom vroom sounds
>everyone look at me
>vroom vroom
ICErs are literally children.
>>
>>135397916
What the hell is that thing?
>>
>>135393502
smoke and mirrors
inefficient
overpriced
virtue signal
>>
>>135394402
>I love pic related as much as anyone, but goddamn imagine trying to work on an old one.

Working on old cars is a dream compared to modern ones. Changing the oil on a modern car requires specialist tools and/or a trip to the dealer to get the service computer reset using their propriety shit. Cars only 20 years ago just needed a socket set and a bucket
>>
>>135395636
>Heavy metal pollution isn't a thing
>Toxic waste produced for electric cars doesn't exist because my liberal arts college professor said so.
Don't get too focused on one issue anon.
>>
>>135397916
>Anyone who's serious about work trucks will buy electric in less then 10 years.
I doubt that, electric vehicles have a LOT longer downtime that ICE. It takes less than 10 minutes to refuel a ICE truck from empty, it takes 8 hours to do the same to an electric car
>but muh supercharger
I'm sure that businesses will love the resulting loss in range from their 30 min charge stops. With any kind of load the truck would either be hilariously heavy to get even moderate range, or have a range of 40 miles before you need to stop and charge again
>>
>>135394554
this nigga drives a honda accord
>>
>>135406371
The most utilitarian truck there is coming soon. https://www.theverge.com/transportation/2017/7/27/16052118/bollinger-b1-electric-sport-truck-outdoors
>>
>>135395252
b-b-but muh manhood

>niggas so insecure they need large trucks to feel like they are worth something.
>>
>>135393502
I had a hybrid car for a while. I enjoyed it very much. I also have voted republican my entire life.

You are believing media lies.
>>
>>135402997
>THIS
His wiring cost comes from the land of make believe hippie bullshit.
>>
>>135393975
>Once you go black, you never go back.
>>
>>135406767
Oh a "Grass-fed cattle" farmer and skincare salesman. I think you should take anything (((he))) says with extreme caution.
>>
>>135394170
libtards love change for the sake of change.
>>
>>135394964
If your house doesn't have 220 or 240 or whatever, you are literally retarded.
How do you run airconditioners, welding machines (might need 300 for that), electric stoves and other machines?
Do you just deal with extremely thick wires, or you just don't care about the fire hazard?
>>
File: 4335486635_8d3ac26f1a_b.jpg (324KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
4335486635_8d3ac26f1a_b.jpg
324KB, 1024x683px
>>135393502
theyre fucking gay
>>
>>135393706
The american libertarians hate them because government subsidies conflict with their ideology. The far right nationalists in Europe love electric cars because they pollute less and serves a benefit to the people. Who fucking cares about free marked liberalism in times like these?
>>
>>135393502
EVs are politicized by the greenies. They do have a niche market for people in urban / suburban areas who have only the need for relatively short distance travel by passengers and light loads. Lobbying to force everyone to use them as the only means of transport is bullshit.
EVs do not meet my vehicle needs for work. They have not advanced to the stage where they have the drive train power output to reliably haul heavy loads, equipment and Class IV trailers. Tesla has done some work on a full size pickup but the capability is not there yet.
>>
>>135407846
Most ACs are 120
Most people don't have welding machines which most are 240 or 3ph 208
Most stoves/ranges are 240
Most people don't have other machines
Wire sizes change based on ampacity, and if sized correctly are not a fire hazard.
But most importantly you don't know what your talking about.
>>
>>135393502
The right doesn't hate them. Maybe the pretentious fucks that drive them and let you know how much better for the environment they are, but not the cars themselves.

If anything, the right doesn't like tax dollars subsidizing the products.
>>
>>135393849
I live in the city with cars driving outside my apartment, and while a normal car passing by can sometimes wake me up at night, electric cars almost makes no noise at all.
>>
>>135393502
Electric cars shouldn't be politicized, but the left is rapidly doing that. Stupid cunts like this one go out of their way to shit on 'rednecks' and this starts to make me hope for the companies failure just to piss her off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y4rhK-OB5Q
>>
>>135393502
>the right hates them
more like they don't really care. just pick the most affordable.
>>
>>135393770
>giving a fuck about niggers
>ICE engines and gear don't have a much higher carbon footprint that electric motors
>Tesla doesn't work purely on solar power
>implying oil prices falling won't tank the middle east economies ending terrorist financing and Muslim lobbying
>>
The cheap way to a 10 sec quarter mile is electric, 40-50k,the better teslas are 11 sec range
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQkdMw4TVjY
>>
>>135408372
He said if you don't have 240 in your house you're retarded, which is true. Even you stated stoves/ranges are 240. Everyone has at least 100amp service, it's easy to put in a 240v circuit. Hell most people have them for dryers, which are almost all 240v.
>>
>>135394554
>My conventional 2013 Honda Accord
I'd rather eat shit than drive a jap car.
Step it up rebel.
>>
File: smug.jpg (28KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
28KB, 600x400px
>>135408544
Literally this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXZeq9eXAys
>>
>>135393502
nocoiners can't drive lambos
>>
>>135402350
It takes Tesla 5 years to release each model, they're not going to destroy Germany in 5 years. The Model S needs a real refresh and they need a crossover SUV that doesn't cost 100k a-sap
>>
>>135397043
I love a nice rotary.
>>
>>135408396
This. Remind me again why cars for upper middle class/rich people are being subsidize.
>>
>>135408693
You're comparing a stock Tesla with a heavily modified gas power car. Apples and oranges.
>>
>>135408888
Charger hellcat will run 11s for 30 grand less than an 11 second tesla
>>
>>135408715
To be fair, a 240V line that's usable to charge a Tesla has to have a 14-50 connector. That means it's 4 conductor 50 amp line (two hots, neutral and ground). Most 240V lines are only 3 conductor (no neutral).
>>
>>135408146
>pollutes less

That depends. What is your car being powered by? Water? Wind? Nuclear Power even? If your local power grid is powered by coal or natural gas, I'd not bet that your hybrid is doing any better for the environment than a gas guzzler.
>>
>>135408885
Remind me again why GM got a bailout? Why do corn farmers get gibs? Why do oil companies get subsidies? It's all fucked my friend.
>>
E-cars are quite literally a meme - i work in the industry. The german car industry is only investing in it to satisfy the zeitgeist, while behind closed doors, they're working on alternatives that actually work.
>>
>>135409036
14-50 for dryer plugs has been standard since like 2006. The three conductor style is the older obsolete type.
>>
>>135408888
the stock tesla is how much?? my point was on price and that is not a gas powerd car
>>
>>135393502
Name a thing that hasn't been politicized by the left. They use environmentalism to signal their virtues.
As for the right I haven't really noticed much hate like most ITT. Maybe some people attack these cars just to be contrarian. Also, since the left is so obsessed about the environment, the industrialists tend to align themselves with the right, so the right is sometimes interested in defeneding them.
The problem with these cars is that, for now, they don't really save the environment since you have to generate the power somewhere and solar/wind power is still very ineffective. So it's just moving pollution from car to the power plants with no positive global effect whatsoever.
But this will probably change in future as we become more effective in generating power so these cars are definitely something worth researching.
>>
>>135406302
t. Jaywalking pedestrian that didn't get ran over
>>
>>135409299
A lot of garages have 240V for power tools, but may not have the right line.
>>
Why do people think electric cars will be able to replace petrol and diesel cars? Do they honestly think its easy/sustainable to build and use electric cars?
>>
>>135408867
Except the Model 3 is already out and they're planning to reach 500k/year production at the end of 2019. They already make 80k/year right now so it's not that hard since the factory is designed to make up to 700k/year. If you don't think the Model 3 will decimate German luxury cars in the next 5 years you've got another thing coming.
>>
File: 1487473795037.png (267KB, 688x684px) Image search: [Google]
1487473795037.png
267KB, 688x684px
>>135393502
>can be used as a signal for their virtue under the guise of "muh green machine"
>can be disabled with the push of a button when they dont want you driving
>when the citizens ASK to be controlled by the state
>>
>>135409379
Yes, but you're still comparing a product that's never been designed to compete in drag races and that's in it's infancy as far as development with a gas powered engine and vehicle that's well-established, common, and been refined over decades.

It would be like saying transistors are inferior because vacuum tubes work better. There's a financial interest now to improve electric cars. The writing is on the wall for gas engines. It's just a matter of years before they'll be noncompetitive.
>>
>>135408885
>government stealing less money from you
>subsidy

Tesla drivers are almost all exclusively white and Asian. Go KYS "lolbertairan"
>>
>>135393502
They need subsidies to make economic sense.
Otherwise, it's just treehugger virtue signaling.
Liberals luv subsidies and virtue signaling.
Conservatives no.
>>
>>135409157
They don't. http://www.evworld.com/library/Tesla_21centuryEV.pdf
>>
>>135410168
Retard read this >>135410151
>>
As a mechanic I don't care for them because they're making my profession obsolete, likely within my life time (I'm 28.)

As a driver, I find them pretty meh. They just seem like pieces of shit although I know they're the future.
>>
>>135410292
I hate to get all mollymeme, but not an argument
>>
>>135410436
>As a mechanic I don't care for them because they're making my profession obsolete
> I don't care
well I hope you won't care when you're 50 and homeless
>>
>>135403241
>Only reason USA is involved in middle east is oil and Israel.
>Electric cars remove one of those

Tell me again whose interests is it in to keep us on the oil teat?
>>
Libertarian here. I own a Nissan Leaf. Paid 6k for it. 2013 model. 40k miles. Best value out there period.
>>
>>135410436
>profession obsolete
No, just much less highly paid. You'll work for Tesla replacing brakes, fixing ACs, fixing broken buttons, shit like that. Not really any engine work.
>>
>>135410436
ICE cars aren't going anywhere, despite the memes and government bans. There's gonna be a lot of cars on the roads, for a very long time. Obviously you'll need to specialize but I can guarantee that there's going to be no electric lorries for at least 50 years, unless some kind of magical batter that holds twice the range of diesel fuel and can be recharged in 15 minutes without damage is made
>>
>>135410783
A fucking leaf
>>
>>135411061
Swappable batteries. https://electrek.co/2017/04/20/tesla-semi-leasing-batteries-electric-truck/
>>
>>135411061
>I can guarantee that there's going to be no electric lorries for at least 50 years,

Try again Britbog. American engineering will BTFO of the German economy.

https://electrek.co/2017/06/07/tesla-semi-production-elon-musk/
>>
>>135411318
Swappable batteries lead to all kinds of problems. Poor connections, bad batteries, and most importantly, who owns these batteries?
Does Tesla own all the batteries and then lease them out to the companies? The companies will stick with diesel
Do the companies own their own batteries, which are then kept at strategic locations throughout the country? That's a massive increase in logistic cost, so they stay with diesel.
>>
If you aren't an environmentalist you're literally fucking retarded or you have a vested interest, and I'm not talking about electric cars here specifically.
It's one thing to carefully consider the alternatives and not rush into idiocy for virtue signalling purposes, and another thing to act like an infantile retard who confuses being ''alpha'' for short-slightness and pretend environment is irrelevant and that humans aren't fucking it up.
>>
>>135411318
Oh good, instead of trying to increase battery tech Tesla is going through the much more damaging to the environment method
>>
File: pogue_2500-970x678.jpg (135KB, 970x678px) Image search: [Google]
pogue_2500-970x678.jpg
135KB, 970x678px
>not using Nelson Pogue carburator https://en.wikipedia.org /wiki/Charles_Nelson_Pogue
>falling for (((lithium))) batteries meme
>pol

kys all of you
>>
>>135394996

You are in such a manufactured fake reality. My friend who's a card nerd has a Tesla because it's fun as fuck to drive. The power is unmatched unless you have a Porsche or some such car.

Stick your head outside your basement every once in a while, jeez.
>>
>>135411528
Are you aware that because of how heavy batteries are, that the total weight of the vehicle will increase, either beyond what is legal to drive normally or more likely reducing the amount of product that can be hauled as well as the distance that it can be hauled.
Semi trucks get about 6 miles to a gallon on an average day, and have enormous fuel tanks to carry highly dense fuel. Lithium batteries, are not an energy dense way to store energy. They are objectively worse in most metrics to diesel powerplants.
>>
>>135395424
The left loves battery operated cars because they are the ultimate, brainwashed consumer.
>gotta get an electric car cause they are new and cool and errybody has one
>gotta get that new apple gizmo cause they are new and cool and errybody wants one
>gotta go see the newest movie I saw an ad for, its gonna be cool
>gotta have my grande latte with chocolate sprinkles
>gotta get dose buddy holly glasses cause they are the newest thing
>>
>>135411658
Right. Because they're going to swap batteries, future improvements in battery tech will never happen ever. Mighty fine logic.
>>
>>135411693
How much does Tesla pay you?
>>
>>135411693
>every "car nerd" is the same
>everyone is your friend
Sorry, I like cars that can actually corner worth a damn. I can't do that with skinny tires and 4 tons of fucking batteries.
>>
>>135411909

So much projection. Whatever makes you feel better little buddy :^)
>>
>>135394170
Libtards love sucking ape niggers dick
>>
>>135412122
Tesla's actually handle really well, because the body is super stiff and the center of gravity is so low. They also don't have skinny tires.
>>
>>135395549
Same, truck drivers are scum
>>
>>135393502
The right doesn't hate them. The right realizes that the left is completely insane about the environment and that current and future levels of co2 pose no serious threat. That, and the biggest fans are all annoying enviro nazis... It triggers absolute disgust and revulsion in us.. Other than that, the tech is solid, but it is only economically viable because of govt subsidies.

I actually do hate them now. Thank you for helping me to realize this
>>
>>135411993

I live in Vancouver. There's shit tons of Teslas here. Maybe get out of your backcountry hick hole sometime.

>>135412122
Okay that's fair. You're into corners..others are into going 0-60 in 4 seconds.
>>
>>135393897
I've driven a model s. I would buy a model 3 if the interior wasn't absolute horse shit. The model S interior is kind of shit to to be honest.

Currently the electric car can not completely replace the ICE for a variety of reasons.
1. performance and sport
>but muh model s 0-60 in 3 seconds
yes it can do that once, maybe twice. A 15 year old 911 turbo with a tune can do that many times all fucking day long. The 911 turbo, or really even much cheaper cars, can lap a course till it runs out of fuel. The model s will over heat, quite possibly before even completing a single lap. Its performance stats are extremely cherry picked.
2. Range. The range will satisfy 80% to 90% of your needs. The other 10 to 20 you will have to accommodate its short comings or have another car. this is why most tesla owners have another car, quite often a fuck huge suv.

They are the future though, that is pretty clear.
>>
>>135394024
And the subsidies for Corn Ethanol and petroleum doesn't bother you?
>>
Hate them or not, they'll be our only option after the oil in the middle east dries up. You can't fill a gas tank with a nuclear power plant.
>>
>>135393947
I agree. Bio diesel and hydrogen
>>
>Driving a car that can be hacked

s m a r t
>>
>>135394402
>Think about drones vs. RC planes from 20 years ago. It's like Jetsons vs. Flintstones.
yup, brushess motors and lithium batteries made R/C planes and helis great again.
>>
>>135393770
> Conflict free oil

Wew lad
>>
>>135412525
The city I live in has a median income of $110k and I see more Ferraris then tesla
>>
>>135393502
Personally, tesla pisses me off because it's a literal forced meme, in my city at least. Half of the goddamned Bass Pro parking lot is tesla charging stations, which I think I've only ever seen being used once by one single, solitary car.

Plus, at this time using "electricity" to power your car is just a fancy way of using fuel that creates just as much pollution (the electricity generated by your local coal plant) but since the pollution is generated far away from you, you can delude yourself into thinking you're using green energy. If all electricity was coming from solar/wind/nuclear/hydro it'd be one thing but that's not the reality in most places around the world.
>>
>B-b-b-but mining for batteries is bad for the enviroment
The invorment of shitskin countries, that's the point, gas contaminates locally while electric lets the niggers take the fallout
>>
>>135393502
>whole country uses electricity to run cars
>Oil jews dont profit that much

pretty based i think
>>
>>135393502
gov't subsidies for otherwise non-competitive products
>>
File: compass.png (18KB, 312x340px) Image search: [Google]
compass.png
18KB, 312x340px
>>135396884
>Can't tell left from right
>>
>>135394815
A lot of space to stretch your legs, you'd appreciate this if you were white but your 1.70 m mexican ass can find a clown car comfortable.
>>
>>135393502
>The left loves them, the right hates them
Simply put, people are stupid and tribal about anything.

#moderatessaveamerica
>>
There are pragmatic reasons and political reasons:

Any reduction in emissions by using these cars is negated by the fact that the majority of the electricity produced to power the cars would be made from burning fossil fuels. Electricity is not an energy source, it must come from somewhere. Nuclear power is the only way to support the necessary infrastructure for this. And I don't see any effort to revitalize the industry.

It's also a matter of freedom / convenience. If you're chained to a power cord to charge a vehicle every 60-80 miles, what are you going to do in an emergency situation, if you need to take a detour, sit in traffic, etc? Range is a huge problem - might make sense for Europe where everything is packed a lot closer together but the US is generally way too spread out for this to be practical.

A lot of it also is related to how seriously you take global warming. I remain skeptical, and I happen to really like v8s and performance cars.

Tldr: electric cars are gay
>>
>>135394667
Comfy
>>
>>135402997
What kind of communist shithole do you live in where you pay $4000 for a fucking permit?
I gauged my cost off a 20ft pull since my garage is RIGHT next to my main panel. If you buy a 125ft roll of 6Ga it's $135 at Home Depot. So sorry to be off $100, but I'm still right and you're still getting robbed if anyone is charging $5000 to do that. And mine INCLUDED the charger.
>>
>>135412379
I've driven a Tesla, they handle well for a car of it's immense weight. It's really hard to understate just how heavy Teslas are, their top-end "performance" machine is pushing around 5000 pounds. No center of gravity is low enough to make these 5000 pounds disappear, nor is there any amount of chassis stiffness will get rid of that either. As for their tires, they're pretty thin if we're looking at any modern vehicle that cares about comprehensive performance. A new bottom-tier Camaro comes with comparable sized tires.
>>
File: 1501214290085.jpg (161KB, 1000x726px) Image search: [Google]
1501214290085.jpg
161KB, 1000x726px
>Why doesn't a political party, that is based on minimal government intervention, want a vehicle that can only exist because of massive government subsidies?
>>
>>135393502
Electric cars are the epitome of environmental virtue signalling.

Its Leo DeCaprio telling you not to live in a big house and wipe your ass with toilet paper while he flies around in his private plane in car form.
>>
>>135403495
Make it yourself then cuck
>>
File: smug.jpg (48KB, 468x312px) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
48KB, 468x312px
>>135393502
Because leftists are literally narcissists who love being smug about their everyday decisions.
>>
>>135394667

how many niggers will break into it and try to rip off the console screen thinking its an ipad someone left inside?
>>
>>135394473
Mining pollution is highly localized. ICE exhaust gets everywhere very quickly.
>>
>>135414151
>Mining pollution is highly localized.
What is industrial runoff?
>>
>>135393502
I just hate the lefts circle jerk over them. They are just as bad for the environment with the batteries and coal burning for the power.
It's not like (((climate change))) is real though so idc
>>
>>135414375
local pollution.

Next question.
>>
>>135413630
>Any reduction in emissions by using these cars is negated by the fact that the majority of the electricity produced to power the cars would be made from burning fossil fuels.
steam turbines are absurdly more efficient than even he most recent fuel squeezing internal combustion engine. They are not really practical.

The only real argument along those lines is carbon produced in the production of the new electric car.
So you could argue that driving a used car with good mpg (30 or so) is better than buying and driving an new EV. But the EV will offset its production carbon in 3 years of driving.

I don't think electric cars are gay, their average fan boys are gayer, gayer than mac fans.
Oh and the interiors are shit. holy fuck is the model 3's interiors so fucking bad. It is almost as if Musk said "how fucking bad can we make this experience and yet still have people falling over themselves to own one"
>>
>>135393706
im as right as it gets and i think tesla cars are sick. i agree with elon when he said human race must become multi-planetary or disappear.
>>
File: 20150806_zaa_p134_384.jpg (2MB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
20150806_zaa_p134_384.jpg
2MB, 2000x1333px
>>135414450
>local pollution.
top kek
>>
I'm waiting for them to make an affordable electric car that doesn't look like total shit.
>>
>>135413229

So because it's not 100% renewably powered it's not a good project? All improvements happen incrementally. You have to start somewhere and that's what they've done.

Also, Tesla is marketing solar powered roof panels + home powered batteries so you can't say they're not trying.
>>
>>135412673
NO OF COURSE NOT

HIS POST IS REALLY FUCKING INDICATIVE THAT HE WANTS MORE FUCKING SUBSIDIZES FOR CORN

IT REALLY FUCKING IS!!!!!!

READ BETWEEN THE LINES!!!!
>>
>>135411804
>Complains about weight of batteries.
>Ignores weight of engine, transmission, cooling system, drive train, fuel, etc. in diesel truck.

Whew lad
>>
>tfw work in a repair shop

>tfw an electric car rolls in for work and all the mechanics go hide

Sparkplugs, tranmissions, engines? These are known things with known repairs. Minor repairs on hybrid cars require all kinds of electrical testing...

All I'm saying is: you can listen to a gas engine run and, quite often, diagnose the broken part. But for electric cars, you have to test circuits and connections for an hour before you can guess what is wrong.

>oh, the fictional power window blew a fuse which took down part of the fuel pressure regulating system which stranded you in the countryside

I hope you all enjoy going to dealerships! The average mechanic won't be able to keep up for much longer...
>>
>>135393835
>Koch

There's a difference between actually being right wing politically and backing/opposing whatever party will make you the most money.
>>
File: 1500944644421.png (731KB, 520x720px) Image search: [Google]
1500944644421.png
731KB, 520x720px
>>135415094
>fuel pressure regulating system
>electric car
>>
>>135415414
Derp. I was thinking about the hybrid Buick we worked on...
>>
File: 18 moving parts.jpg (56KB, 493x294px) Image search: [Google]
18 moving parts.jpg
56KB, 493x294px
>>135415094
Only 18 moving parts in electric vehicle. I have a feeling I won't be in the repair shop as much as you think.
>>
>>135394029
>They were saying that 50 years ago when the first oil embargoes hit.
What does this even mean.
Someone said something 50 years ago and they were wrong so someone sayi8ng it now must also be wrong?
>>
>>135415094
>i have never owned a new car
the post

Most failures in new cars are electrical in nature. There are quite a few sensors and computers that are trying to get an ICE to run efficient, in turn one could argue that a modern ICE is more likely to have an electrical failure than simple electric motor.
>>
>>135393502
I just hate all new cars. Drive by wire shit that has no feel for the road and constantly doing things I didn't ask it to or beeping at me for stupid shit. When it comes to cars, fuck technology.
>>
>>135393502
it's not a left right issue imo

whatever is more ecological is what everyone should prefer in my opinion
>>
>>135393502
Maybe it's because the fucking government pays these rich fucks to drive them on my taxpayer dollars. Fuck the electric car. Elon musk can suck my cock.
>>
>>135393502

i dont hate electric cars, they just dont make sense for me.
>>
>>135415539
>infinite warranty
Top kek, who believes this bullshit?
>>
>>135415021
That's the point he is making. Semi trucks already weigh a shit ton. Now add a battery that is heavy as shit and needs to power a powertrain to haul 30 tons
>>
>>135415763
Sensors have been in cars forever I doubt they are the cause of most failures
>>
>>135415918
Are you retarded? The government stealing less money for you is somehow bad?
>>
>>135416263
No he's right. I work on new vws and Skoda and literally everything is caused by a failed sensor or two
>>
>>135393502
>The left loves them, the right hates them

The right hates them because they get so many bribes from the oil industry.
>>
>>135415937
https://www.tesla.com/blog/infinite-mile-warranty

Drive it as much as you want. It's still under warranty. Why? Almost no maintenance.

Now what, nigger?
>>
>>135393502
it's more about what they represent.
they just come off faggy.
i'm not entirely against them though
>>
>>135415918
The tax-payer subsidies the entire fucking oil industry you cuck.
>>
>>135393835
>bitchingabout koch bros

Get out pbs faggot nigger
>>
>>135416072
And my point is that he's not taking into account all the weight savings by not having all the other crap needed for a diesel engine.
>>
>>135416358
Then they must be using shit parts
>>
>>135393502
take it from someone that has been in the auto industry my whole damn life.... electric cars are shit... you arent saving anything you are just polluting a different way.
>>
>>135416522
How, beyond the same common tax breaks every company gets?
>>
Every thread about electric cars on the Internet is immediately flooded by shilling for the oil industry, posts full of discredited lies pushed by the Koch brothers.

I wonder who could be behind these posts?
>>
>>135416522
Die britpong faggot. They get government money for fuel. Has many more uses than just some rich fucks car. Worth it.
>>
>>135393502

Because our main fuel source is inherently politicized, so is our currency by proxy.

Electric cars shift that paradigm.
>>
>>135416607
Take it from someone in the music industry, rock and roll is just a fad.

Take it from someone in the shipping business, overnight delivery will never work.

Take it from someone in the computer industry, nobody will buy a home computer.
>>
>>135416284
Less? Fucking top kek.
>>
>>135416460
>motors don't require lubrication
>batteries never lose capacity

Rip Tesla on warranty repairs
>>
>>135416607
Still better. Less air pollution right in the middle of cities for one.
>>
Anybody that thinks hybrids and EVs aren't going to take over in the next few years hasn't been paying attention at all.

Electric is a fucking dream for car designers both in long and short range. Better acceleration, instant torque and better cornering at all levels from daily driver to hypercar.

It's a fucking no brainer that this technology is going to flatten ICE easily within the next decade.
>>
>>135416601
Everyone is, the name of the game is cheaper and lighter
>>
>>135416718
No subsidy is worth it. Subsidies stifle competition.
>>
>>135409157
Electricity generated from fossil fuels is done so in extremely large thermal plants that run close to 100% load to maximise efficiency. Total BTU to kWh conversion in a large power station approaches 60% if it's a combined cycle system (which the majority of natural gas turbine systems built after 1999 are).

Cars barely get by with 30% combustion efficiency when operating in their optimum power band. At idle, they're worse than useless because you burn fuel to go nowhere. Overall energy efficiency of an ICE is ~22%.

Even if your end-to-end efficiency of the grid is 80% (a very pessimistic estimate - one power station on the west coast charging up an EV on the east coast) then an EV still uses less than half the fossil fuel BTUs per mile travelled when compared to ICE.
>>
>>135417118
Don't bother arguing with the Koch shills.
>>
>>135416956
I know. I can't tell you the number of times I had to lubricate all the electric motors in every device in my house. Oh wait... I can. It's zero.
>>
>>135416263
how old are you?
Cars didn't really have electric sensors till electronic fuel injection.
>>
>>135416593
Hauling 30 tons won't be that simple. Engine and fuel at the most is 2 tons and you still need a cooling system for a battery unless you want it to explode
>>
>>135417291
When was the last time you ran your blender at high rpm for four hours?
>>
>>135417323
Electronic fuel injection has been around since late 60s
>>
>>135416607
Disregarding "muh environmental pollution/destruction", when are electric cars gonna be as efficient as regular cars, mr industry man?
>>
>>135417078
The promotion of new technologies and scientific progression is more important than stagnation in the name of "competition"
>>
>>135417644
You're asking me when the last time I used a device in a way it was never designed to be? Never.
>>
>>135396114
the 3.8 in my genesis coupe sounds great, better than my buddys v8 challenger
>>
>>135417711
yes and it was very common in the late 60s.

EFI became common in the mid 80s. Even then it was kind of a shit system often. The ECU wasn't reading intake temp, manifold pressure, crankshaft position, camshaft position, fuel pressure, manifold air mass, 02 before and after cat etc etc.

my 78 280z ECU was reading a throttle position sensor and crank position, maybe temp.
>>
>>135417005
This, but you're talking to teenage artists so obviously they're clueless.
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.