[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is "Finding Your Passion" a meme? Should I just give

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Steve-Jobs-Quote.jpg (115KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Steve-Jobs-Quote.jpg
115KB, 640x480px
Someone be fucking real with me. Is it just another ridiculous lefty notion that people should "find their passion" and "follow their dream"?

I do need meaning in my life but why isn't money meaningful? It can do a lot of good.

No "making money is for Jews" memes. Try to have an original thought.
>>
>>134737149
>Is it just another ridiculous lefty notion that people should "find their passion" and "follow their dream"?
yes, go read So Good They Can't Ignore You.
Skip the last 5 pages though, because it goes full on WE WUZ SHOE DESIGNERS N SHIEEEEEEEET
>>
you need to negotiate what you want and what realities are around you
>>
>>134737248
forget that last bit, the WE WUZ is from another book I recently finished
>>
>>134737248

Scott Adams tells a story that when he started making a lot of money with Dilbert that he suddenly had quite a "passion" for it. He has similar ideas to the book you suggested. Thank you. Will check it out.
>>
>>134737149
If you can't love yourself you will never love what's around you. Slow things down my man and take a deep breath.
>>
>>134737149
it isn't so much about passions and dreams as much as it is about being happy with your work.

the mistake is in thinking that the type of work will make you happy, when in reality, it's in being accomplished and capable at some kind of work that you will find ultimate satisfaction. if you do not have some skill at a particular craft or profession, you will find it difficult to form concrete passions or dreams in the first place, and getting that skill takes time and patience. if you merely go from thing to thing without spending enough time to reach some level of skill, just telling yourself "I haven;t found my passion yet," you never will find your passion.

you simply need to find some type of work that you can bring yourself to drudge through the difficulties of learning, or perhaps some work you are uniquely suited to. if you can do this, then pursue it with intent and discipline, you will find yourself growing fond of it, and eventually, dreams and passions will take form with that skill as a foundation.
>>
Lately i ask myself the same. Being 33 and still wondering, because i dont have career.
Lets try and narrow down passion.
Human always seeks minimum resistance path (its evoluionary).
Passion (imo) is mix between drive, least amount of work and maximizing results.
Of course jobs wasnt "passionate" about coming to work and dealing with couple hundred retards who coudlnt follow basic orders (in his head) or materialize his vision.
Passion is a temporary feeling.
Either i am depressed or there is really no such thing as "have hobby pay your life and you will never work a day" or something.
>>
>>134738481

I'm just sick of cliches and amateur advice givers (who are usually people just trying to make you feel good). I'm trying to sort through all these notions in my head as I negotiate a career change at age 41. Carpentry no longer an option for physical reasons, and it wasn't ever a passion and I never really liked it.

I'm considering an MBA in Business Analytics in Health care which would put to use a bunch of pre med classes I took before I lost motivation for med school, because I do have a natural interest in health. But I don't want to get bogged down in a career trying to "help" people because the older I get the more suspicious I am of being able to "help" people.

Another option is an MBA in Entrepreneurship and Global Business and that frankly sounds more interesting because it would be more suited to launch a career that could involve travel and interesting people.

>>134737272
^What this guy said is interesting given my circumstances.
>>
>>134739041
pick something and just fucking do it, your mental stability is more of a factor in your life satisfaction than anything you're doing in particular.

oh, and learn to be alone.
>>
My experience with this is that I've worked as a mailman, and as a garbage man just to make a buck for some years, and while I did make money especially as a garbage man, it was extremely unfulfilling. My mental health would deteriorate there, so I went to school to pursue my interests.
Now I'm a recently graduated psychologist, and I couldn't imagine being anywhere else now. Work is nicely paced, no true production ends to meet, and I get paid nicely imo, not as much as a businessman or doctor, but I never had high living standards to begin with so I can put away a lot of money every month.

Find a career you love, but which also requires some skill, because unless you're a materialistic ass you'll probably make more than enough money doing it
>>
>>134737149
First you make the money
Then you buy security
Then you chase those passions
>>
It is pretty much a meme its more a balance of what you dont hate and what is going to make you money.
>>
File: beakpack.png (1MB, 876x1262px) Image search: [Google]
beakpack.png
1MB, 876x1262px
>>134737149
>>134737149
>Is "Finding Your Passion" a meme?
>Should I just give in to making as much money as I can?

Making as much money as you can is the definition of "Finding your passion".
>>
>>134739839
>>134739691
>>134739559
>>134739316
>>134739148

All noted. Thank you.
>>
>>134737149
Just do something where you are in control of your time.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.