[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't millennials plan on working at the same company

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 20

>>
iunno, maybe they have greater than double digit iqs, unlike boomers? https://www.forbes.com/sites/cameronkeng/2014/06/22/employees-that-stay-in-companies-longer-than-2-years-get-paid-50-less/#4dbf4d1fe07f
>Staying employed at the same company for over two years on average is going to make you earn less over your lifetime by about 50% or more
>>
>>134052555
Checked. No profits today.
https://archive.is/NxJs0
>>
>>134052376
because company loyalty is a two way street and most companies treat employees like garbage.
>>
Because they demand success very early, and blame other for not achieving it in a unreal timeline because of the internet.
>>
>>134054536
If they don't treat you well why would you stay??
>>
Because they know they will be dead
>>
>>134054536
Wagecuck mentality
>>
>>134052376

Why don't companies hire based on skill anymore?
>>
>>134052376
wtf shave that beard, is this supposed to be them working or are they having a chat in some coffee shop?
>>
>>134052376
No company would employ them for 35-40 years.
>>
Why don't 38 year olds with terminal cancer plan to retire through upwards of age 80?
Because they know there's no chance in hell things will last that long.
>>
>>134052376
Because the company no longer gives a shit who's there and they'd probably prefer to pay low wages for new people every five years than foot the bill for someone who's stayed for forty years. My last job didn't even give out raises unless you had spent more than 3 years with them. Needless to say they have high turnover. And god forbid you actually care about the quality of your work. Anyone who does that just gets all the garbage jobs dumped on them because boss man knows they'll do it.
>>
>>134052376
What a stupid slide thread.

How could anyone stand to do anything for 40 years?
>>
>>134057455
yeah such rubbish, imagine living for 40 years

now go kill yourself
>>
>>134057455
Wouldn't necessarily mean doing the same job for 40 years. At least in my field a good chunk of the bigger companies do a "toss up" every couple year where they redistribute people between the different branches of their company to make sure that they don't end up being too narrow minded and focused on a single issue.

They just also don't really have any interest in keeping you for 40 years because that gets expensive for them.
>>
>>134052376
>Why don't millennials plan on working at the same company for 35-40 years?
They really don't know what they want. What they plan for and what actually happens are two different things.
>>
>>134057865
I know what I want, but as you said, what you want and plan for and what happens are two different things. I've seen people who were just laid back and didn't plan their lives out turn out successful while those who did the right thing and focused on planning out great things turn out failures/mediocre. Sometimes life just comes out to get you with a great twist of irony.
>>
>>134052376
Because they can't.
>>
Not sure, it seems before you could work at a fucking Ford factory and provide for a wife and 5 kids. Now there is no fucking way, also all the stupid screening processes, HR gate keepers asking you completely irrelevant questions more akin to "muh socializing" because they don't know any better.

When there is little trust in the government, and its care for its people, there's not that much trust for a private corporation either. I would rather want to start my own. I do feel that boomers see the young as cattle, and expect to be treated as such at most normal "jobs" though surely there are jobs where this does not happen.

The world is not stable and does not feel stable. Having that kind of stability implies knowing the place you live will remain stable, how the fuck can you be so sure of that when you don't know whether your future kids school will be overrun by niggers in 10 years?
>>
>>134052376
Because there's more money to be made when you go elsewhere. I was at the same company for 5 years and went from $75k to 95k. I left for a job that paid $125k, got let go after 9 months (startup) and got $145k at my current gig. 2 years later im making $148.

For those you Liberal Arts faggots, my CAGR in salary was very significantly l higher whenever I took a new job rather than stayed.
>>
>>134060782
explains why population is declining and why our shit system has them tell us we need a growing population 24/7
>>
Loyalty must be earned. If companies don't want to lose employees, they need to compete right. Offer higher wages, better benefits. Listen to your employees. Motivate them to want to work there.
>>
More money is why
>>
>>134052376
Only a complete fucking cuckold would think of wasting 30 years of their lives as some kike's servant. The company you work for sees you as a disposable tool. It's not fucking 1960 where you'd complete 30 years at the job as an executive with a gold watch & fat pension.
>>
>>134052376
Why would someone be loyal to a company that cares absolutely nothing about you? Companies themselves are to blame for lack of loyalty, jumping ship the moment something better comes up is simply the logical course of action.
>>
>>134052376
In Spain bein a veteran on a company have two really good things:
- You get a salary rise every X years
- It gets harder to fire you up to the point where you're almost unfireable

The second thing was destroyed by the legislation because a lot of people abused it by being really unproductive, but it made it so easy to get fired that it ruined it for the employees completely.
Salary rises are not a thing anymore as it's more common to get deductions and if you want to improve your salary you need to force companies to bid for you so loyalty is not profitable anymore.
>>
>>134052376

Because after working at one level for a few years a person is going to be looking to move up the corporate ladder in some form. Used to be that you could expect that to happen at the same company, but with rising life expectancies and retirement ages the higher level positions just aren't emptying out fast enough. So now the strategy is to move diagonally upwards, finding a higher level position at another company in which you can go to. Sometimes you'll even end up back at the place you started after a few job hops, just now in a more senior position.
>>
>>134052376
Because they're all temporarily embarrassed celebrity millionaires.
>>
Probably has something to do with seeing their loyal parents get downsized, made redundant or outright fired after 20+ years of service.

Also practically 0 wage growth relative to job hopping.

I left my job after not getting a raise only to get hired on at my former bosses position 6 months later doing LITERALLY the exact same work i used to with 1 extra day a week for an extra 30 fucking grand a year. They could have given me an extra 10 grand and i would have been happy, instead they decided to tell me to fuck off.
>>
Been at the same company for 5 years. Doing what they tell me. No raises and getting passed over for promotions.

Hate to leave but I have friends who have leap frogged over me two years ago now working at Microsoft and amazon while I sit here with a shitty watch.

Yeeeaahhh.
>>
>>134065302
Jesus, just fucking leave.
>>
>>134052376
That's disgusting. I plan to retire before then. Are Canadians really so poor that they have to work longer than 20 years?
>>
>>134052376
Well i can only speak for myself but I usually get bored and depressed so I start to slack until they fire me and I get unemployment. I also don't really plan or do anything. I'll probably be a crazy sleeping on the street one day or killing people and living in their house for a bit,
>>
>>134052376
My aunt worked for a company for her entire life. Now that she's nearing retirement age they're cutting her hours so they can skip out.
You're a fucking retard if you give your life to a soulless entity.
>>
File: 1483405000830.jpg (129KB, 678x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1483405000830.jpg
129KB, 678x1024px
>>134052376
My gramps started his own business. One of the things that made it so successful was that he had loyal employees that had worked for over 30 years. The most frustrating thing is newfags that work for a year become trained and then leave.
>>
>>134052376
Because its boring.
>>
>Why do millenials move on from a company in order to reap greater rewards than what they are currently getting?
Oh gee I dunno
>>
>>134054536
Why would you stay somewhere if you could get something better elsewhere? I'm literally only working for my own profit. If something better comes along I would be fucking stupid not to take it.

I just took a job that was a 20k increase from my last position. I'll probably be working somewhere else next year with a similar pay hike.
>>
>>134066349
That is when you go to your boss and ask for a raise.
>>
because they're the YOLO generation

live once so do randam shit yo
>>
I wish there were a company for me to work for that would last that long.
>>
>>134052376
companies wont have american or even human employees in 10 years senpai
>>
>>134052376
It's not like it is a choice for most workers. Companies and the tech behind them change so fast, plus outsourcing.
>>
>>134066196
No, the success of the company was due to your grandfathers superior management skills.

He kept those employees because he's a good judge of character and built a system where people don't want to leave.

If a company has constant turnover of new employees, it's probably wise not to blame the employees.
>>
>>134057720
>They just also don't really have any interest in keeping you for 40 years because that gets expensive for them.

No no no no. This is all millenials fault.
>>
Because Boomers have clogged up the whole system and there's no upwards mobility any more. If you start working at a company and plan to stay for, say, 20 years, you're not going to advance much beyond your initial position regardless of how hard or well you work because the job just isn't there. Boomers dying is literally going to solve all the world's problems.
>>
>>134052376
Because a lot of companies now don't hand out raises very often. You can trade up jobs and increase your income very fast compared to staying at a company for three years and getting 300 more dollars a month. Also there are Gen Z people in the work force now (currently 18-21) and they are changing up more than millennials.
>>
>>134052376

>implying companies will stay in business for that long

Yeah welcome to the new economy, boomer.
>>
a boomer was telling me how to "always be looking for a better job" what are you on about?
>>
>>134067034
We always had competitive and negotiable wages. I think it is true though my generation (millennial), were the worst when it comes to a stable routine. I always felt there was greener pastures but I stayed when all my peers were coming and going.
>>
>>134054943
Ching chong.
>>
>>134067389
Boomers dying plus policies of mass deportation of cheap third worlders
>>
>>134067793
I would strongly fit in your peers camp. I'm a millennial who will changes positions after 3-6 months if I don't like the job or the company.

Each change has resulted in a much higher wage and a better understanding of what I want out of work and life.

I came to the conclusion long ago that I'm only working for my own profit. In the exact same way how a good company is only working for its profit. It's a voluntary exchange, and if a better option is available there really shouldn't be any social stigma with accepting the best opportunity available.

I own myself, and maybe you should consider owning yourself too.
>>
>>134066196
Any business that will happily train someone with no strings attached it completely retarded.
My employer offers numerous training opportunities within our area of work, but with an added clause that you're tied to the company (unless fired) for a certain period of time, in our case around 2 years.

Also from my experience, there is no reward for remaining with an employer especially if you're white.
A few of my female or less than white colleagues aren't doing so bad for themselves in terms of promotion etc but other than that it's a pointless exercise trying to demonstrate any form of loyalty.

But at the end of the day it all comes down to money. Take the most loyal employee you have, and then don't send him a paycheck one month as an experiment. What how quickly his loyalty diminishes.
>>
>>134052376
Will that company be around in 10 years?
>>
>>134066613
>raise is refused due to CEO needing another yacht
>meanwhile company down the street is offering a position with better pay and more interesting work

Truly this situation is a mystery.
>>
>>134068026
This is exactly it.

Far too many people stay in one place and end up with little to no financial reward, then end up in the situation of where you work to be able to survive.

As it stands, I get enough financial reward at my job to give me extra for savings/recreational activities. The second that becomes squeezed, I will be firing my CV/resumé at employers immediately.
>>
>>134068257
Yeah, it's like, why would I keep visiting the same mediocre but satisfying restaurant when there is a better more cost effective one next door?

Retards, man, boomers are retards.
>>
>>134068637
Because some retards still seem to hold the notion that loyalty to an employer gets you somewhere.
It's the same myth that being a good hard worker and keeping your head down to the grindstone will get your promoted.

It's bullshit. You need to step on toes and take your labour elsewhere if you don't feel you're being sufficiently compensated for it.

Someone who will make a lot of money in their careers, are someone who can effectively walk into an interview and say to the prospective employer "why should I work for you?"
>>
>>134052376

I'm almost 30, started at my company when I was 22 at 33.5k / year, and now make 90k + ~30+k end of year bonuses. starting grad school part time soon but there's a reasonable chance i will be a lifer here. i acknowledge how rare that is though.
>>
>too weak for physical labour, even retail or fast food

>too autistic for social butterfly jobs like stewardess, waiter or call center

>too brainlet to get a degree

>plus in general very lazy and a nervous wreck

Wish I was born in a timeline where psychologists can actually fix people
>>
>>134052376
In certain industries like IT, if you're not moving every year or two, you're not getting anywhere. I'm the kind of person who likes loyalty and wishes I could stay at one place, but even I know that that will get you fucking nothing.
>>
>>134052713

This. The company man meme has bee ruined from years of companies taking advantage. The only way you have that loyalty now is if its your company you own.
>>
>>134057149
You know why..
>>
>>134052376
BBBBRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAABBBB
>>
>>134069892

Maybe I am biased, but I think it really depends on the size and nature of your company. E.g. smaller/newer companies will provide much greater opportunity for personal growth and potential to move into management positions. But in bigger/older companies you'll probably be ready for that next step before the geezers you need to retire/move on leave themselves.
>>
>>134052376
Because they are lazy as shit. Have too many sick days and expect lots of money for doing fuck all work.
>>
>>134052713
Basically /thread.

Why are people still posting?
>>
File: deeb goncern.png (6KB, 600x474px) Image search: [Google]
deeb goncern.png
6KB, 600x474px
Gen Z here, please encourage me with your recent employment success stories.
>>
>>134052376
The company wont need them after 6 months.
>>
>>134069456
>call center
>social butterfly job
Just go do customer support or something, anybody can do that shit. Speaking from experience.

The only skills you really need in Hungary are languages. English at the very least, but if you can speak French, German or Russian on top then you'll have no trouble finding a job with a salary of 250k HUF net. Assuming you're computer literate.
>>
>>134052376
Right now a person with more than 10 years on the same spot becomes useless. Things change very fast and its easier to hire someone else than expecting a fossil to evolve accordingly alongside the market
>>
because 99% of the companies people join wont be around in 35-40 years lol
>>
>>134070334
>university, which is not a meme here. Only 15% of young people graduate from university here
>Work at law firm
>Le 26.400 grand a year
>Are you gidding me.jpeg
>Gets worse.avi
>940 euro in rent
>tfw poorfag
>>
>>134070678
This.

If you really want longevity from your employer, join one that develops weapons and other various defence equipment.
>>
>>134070466
I get nervous breakdowns from people getting angry at me or even midly impatient. I only do emails, in english (they don't let me use telephones yet) and I already go home thinking about killing myself and how much of a failiure I am
>>
File: more sleep.jpg (60KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
more sleep.jpg
60KB, 960x540px
>2017
>not living on neetbux

wagecucks are the fucking worst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRHCp9Wblro
>>
>>134052376
Working for a corporation is hell. You're a cog in a machine with no control. The end game should be to start your own business, not be a corporate slave. Society has the resources for everyone to go out on their own, we just don't have the will.
>>
I might as well ride my local grocery chain out until they go out of business. I'm already 36 and I only net $19k a year. Hopefully I have a sense of direction in the next life.
>>
>>134071058
or the starting capital.
>>
>>134070902
You fucking tiny loser. WORK FOR A LIVING
>>
>>134070902
Funny.

Although my wife is disgusted by NEETS so I'm not sure she'd sleep with one.
>>
Anyone know where I can get that sweater?
>>
>>134070884
>nervous breakdowns from angry people
>wanting to kill yourself over emails
I have no idea what I could possibly do or say to help you with that. Is this your first job out of highschool or what?

Also if you're under 25 then I'm pretty sure you still qualify for some govt subsidized OKJ certificates. Couple of years ago you could still do those on weekends, not sure if they changed regulations to require you sitting in a class full time now, but I hope not.
>>
>>134071327
Your boyfriend can probably lend you one
>>
>>134071398
Nah over 25. I reentered college again, but I'm afraid I'll just drop out again
>>
Are you a nip?
>>
>>134071590
If it's any consolation, nobody's too stupid to finish college. Some people are just too lazy. You won't drop out unless you waste all your time playing video games and watching series.

That being said, half the point of going to college is to network so that's something you need to make the most of even if you do drop out.
>>
>>134070902
Are these comments actually making fun of employed people or is this just self-deprecating humour?
>>
>>134072264
I never made any friends first time around, and this will be by mail, so I'll make even less.
And I'm still lazy. Wish I could control it
>>
Because you make a lot more money moving every 2 years.

There was a study saying if you didn't change, you actually were cucking yourself out of pay increases.
>>
>>134052376
Because startup mentality is rampant in this generation :
>create a low maintenance, expandable, high risk company .
>try to make it work.
>sell it.
>>
>>134052376
because working for someone else is cucktier
>>
>>134058954
because adaptability > planning
>>
>>134072355
You are a cuck if you work hard in today's environment.

Hard work is reserved for low IQ people only.
>>
>>134072693

>t. trumpcuck who lives with mommy

SAD
>>
Because every big company contributes to the well being of the enemies and direct threats to my race
And at the end of the day, melanin is more valueable in an employee than any type of loyalty or skills
>>
>>134052376
Because those companies don't promote from within or give adequate raises.

There's no such thing as a career anymore and it's entirely the fault of companies and boomer management.
>>
>>134052376
Basically companies fault for a complete lack of salary and career progression.

t. 27-year old soon to start my 7th job
>>
>>134072383
Best I can offer is a weeaboo neckbeard as a friend, if that's not beneath you. Either way I'm off to work.
>>
>>134052555
The old model was to work at a big firm for 2-3 years then move to a small local firm and grow that business. The ones that succeed in the small firms get hired back at the big firms in corner office executive roles.
But after 2008 we lost all of our smaller firms and the government is doing everything in their power to fuck small business owners over in favor of their corporate donors.
Libshits just cannot understand that every hurdle they put in front of big business is actually a barrier to competition. Big Corps will moan about it but they actually have the backoffice resources and cash flow to survive increased regulation. It's the little guys who get fucked.
>>
>>134068026
Yeah but how do you get a job with a broken and tattered resume ? I've made the mistake of jumping every year and it's only set me back.

If only I stayed at a few positions for 3-4 years I would have a solid base to really launch my career.

Don't fall for this meme. Stay work hard gain as many skills as you can and then move after a few years. Don't be a job slut.
>>
>>134072941
Aw shit, there's no email field anymore:
[email protected]
>>
>>134072736
>t. poorfag
It sucks being part of the lower classes, doesn't it? I get to shitpost all day but my future is secured.

You aren't getting any, so you might as well vote for Sanders like the cucks you all are.
>>
File: 1500303893284.gif (2MB, 460x259px) Image search: [Google]
1500303893284.gif
2MB, 460x259px
>>134070334
>be non-white
>get hired straight out of university
>engineering company, shit salary
>amazing work
>great networking
>still fuck all pay
>literally 0% pension until the government forced all small businesses to offer minimum 1%
>now have 1% pension lmao
>get made senior engineer
>pay still below that of a graduate
>get made head of my own research team
>pay still shit
>move company
>they give me 25% more for less hours
>10% employer contribution pension
>old boss begs me to stay
>offers me 2% pay increase
>offers 1% more pension
mfw
>>
>>134073274
jesus...
>>
>>134052376
Pretty simple. College degrees no longer mean anything so we're forced to take whatever job is offered to us to get work credentials for a few years. Only then can we leverage up to a position suitable to retire from. We have to change or be poor.
>>
>>134073382
Yeah it was shit and I put up with it way longer than I should have - but the experience I was getting was second to none.

I should have left after 3 years, but I waited another 6 months.
>>
>>134073401

This middle class mentality. You are all after security/life stability???????????????? Not after something better like becoming the man that makes the moves? High risk high return faggots.

Declining for a reason the whole fucking lot of you. SHEEIT
>>
>>134052376
Does the guy on the left look extremely weird to anyone else? Doesn't even look like a real person
>>
SO LONG DENTAL PLAN
>>
File: ancient evil.jpg (8KB, 251x251px) Image search: [Google]
ancient evil.jpg
8KB, 251x251px
>Grandfather worked for a chemical company ever since he left college in the early 50s
>literally started in a lab mixing chemicals
>made enough to travel the world
>support 3 kids
>had a wife that stayed with him and loved him
>retires from company a year early, they give him 2 years of full pay, then an $70k pension the rest of his life
>enough money in that two years advance that he paid for a house to be built down south next to a golf course
>they take care of all of his medical bills and insurance bills for the rest of his and his wifes lives
>was well off but never wealthy
>ended up just taking his and his wifes social security money and just investing it in whatever sounded interesting or going on cruises whenever they wanted
>has over a million in investments now and has no interest in spending any of it

>meanwhile I ask my boss for the wage that I was told I would be making at this time when I was hired, they look at me like I'm crazy

You want loyalty, you better give loyalty back.
>>
>>134074215
>Hi, im a larper on 4chan with no job. I like to say shit like this despite being a total pussy in real life. For some reason I believe all men should be the top 1% that I've heard about in the media who own businesses. That must be how men work, right? I wouldn't know; my father left when I was a child and I was raised by a single mother.
>>
>>134074741
That doesn't exist anymore. Just like your "buy a house" meme.
>>
>>134074741
Your grandfather stiffed you, you should be angry at his generation raping the resources because they are greedy cunts
>>
>>134074234
its the spoon on his wrist
>>
>>134052376
indeed why arent they doing this?
>>
>>134060782
>HR gate keepers asking you completely irrelevant questions more akin to "muh socializing"
>tfw got prevented from taking a job due to this
It's bullshit
>>
>group of people age 35 or younger can't comprehend doing something for more than their entire lifetime

Golly gee
>>
>>134052376
Because after 5 years of work they get fired under the provision that they train their replacement talent from India first.
>>
>>134052713
>>134070146
>>134070280
I have been working for the same company for 9 years and don't plan to change, ever.

What now?
>>
>>134070334
Here's my story

>work shitty retail after retail because nowhere else but telesales are hiring
>can't get apprenticeship either
>get to 22 and am depressed and try to kill myself
>spend 2 years in vegetative state working retail a couple of days a week
>no chance of other employment now without getting a degree
>resisted because of debt but fuck it
>am now 20k+ in debt about to enter third year and don't even think it's worth it
I will try, but I expect nothing. Fuck this country
>>
>>134052376
No one keeps employees that long. After you've worked there two years, they will force you to train a Pajeet, Bing or Paco to do your work and cut you loose.
>>
File: bee.png (1MB, 1350x1300px) Image search: [Google]
bee.png
1MB, 1350x1300px
>be making 70k, 1 year out of college
>apply at some other jobs for fun
>absolute floor from the companies ive talked to seems to be between 85-90k

yeah why would i change jobs, hmm

let me just ask my boss for a 25% raise 1 year after being hired
>>
>>134052376
this has to be a picture of some software tech "company' where they all stroke themselves about how lit they will be now with money and have champagne showers and maziis and then run out of seed funding and declare bankruptcy
>>
>>134052376
>First job delivering pizza's
>Making about 135-200$ a night (tips+regular wage+mileage)
>Get a "real job" working for a reputable company
>Starting I'm making less then I would delivering pizza's but whatever gotta grind my way up to the top
>become a supervisor in a year through pure hardwork and dedication
>lots of drama and BS at the workplace, everybody talks shit about everybody, backstabbing rampant everywhere, everybody is nice to your face but talking shit behind your back
>benefits are given after 6 months full time employment but they are shit and get taken off your already small paycheck
>the power trippy managers that you thought were bad in fastfood are worse in the corporate world and use their job title as a way to justify their shitty existences
>they use their made up power to make other peoples lives hell and treat everybody they feel better then like shit excluding the people above them
>there is this constant war among supervisors/managers for power
>the people beneath target the new supervisors rising up to try and steal their positions from under them and make them look bad
>full on fucking game of thrones type shit in the work place for power
>head manager comes in, dressed in suit, top salary is only 60,000/yr everybody treats him like a god (though talk shit behind his back)
>I stop giving a fuck about my work place and start taking the job for what it's worth
>lots of co-workers like working under me because they know I see through the BS and don't want to make their lives harder
>train a guy up to take my position as I want to leave, put in a good word for him etc
>I decide to go back to delivering pizza's, anything is better then this shit
>guy I train turns into a cunt who everybody hates then removes me from facebook after I leave despite the fact I put him in the position and got him there.

I'd rather be a piece of shit delivering pizza's then go through that shit again. I hate people.
>>
Damn, reading all this makes me realize how lucky I really am. Thanks guys
>>
This is actually what I want to do. Once I get my degree I'm sticking with the first company that pays me 50k+.
>>
>>134052596
31 seconds. Impressive.
>>
>>134075816
sounds like walmart, minus the "real job" part.
>>
There's no way to move up in a company sometimes, the only way to advance is to change jobs.

Most millennials I know have to lie on their resume just to get a job, so to advance they need to lie to a different company and take the job they want there.

Say you do front-end web development but you want to do full-stack, everywhere I've worked there's isn't a way to transition. Same with management, even though what's best for the team would be to transition and experienced dev to be a manager, companies want someone with management experience and so favor an outside candidate. So the only way to move up is to apply to a different company and bullshit them. Tell them you've been doing full-stack development, tell them you've been managing a small dev team, tell them whatever to get the job. This is how you advance as a millennial in the modern workplace.

inb4 hurrr I made 100k out of college, I was a manager after a year, etc... this is far from the norm.
>>
>>134075949
Good luck man, I really mean that. I thought the same too, but no one wants to go more than 40k where I am and it's hard to get a callback even with an internship under my belt. Companies nowadays are fucking dirty jews. Degrees aren't worth the money unless you come out with little debt.
>>
I want to quit my job so bad, don't even care if I don't have a job waiting at this point
>>
File: 1490936244128.png (159KB, 500x561px) Image search: [Google]
1490936244128.png
159KB, 500x561px
If you want to look at one of the real reasons why you HAVE to job hop these days and why 'entry level' requires 2-3 years experience, it all has to do with someone, somewhere getting the idea that job training isn't necessary. They think that colleges and universities ARE training. These managers and HR directors think that any time spent training is a waste of resources, even when it is demonstrably proven to make employees more competent and more productive in their roles while simultaneously making employees more loyal to their employer.

Most employers believe they should be able to acquire skills ready-made. Despite the fact that the nature of a job depends a lot on a particular company’s business — jobs are not one-size-fits-all-companies, after all — businesses expect that the exact constellation of skills they need is going to walk in the door just because they advertised for it.

HR departments think they can buy off-the-self workers who don’t need or deserve training or skills development, while their marketing departments claim the company’s products are unique, state-of-the-art and without equal. This training gap is the pinnacle of corporate hypocrisy.

Then there’s the industry that aids and abets it. LinkedIn and other job boards successfully market the fraudulent notion that “we have the perfect candidate in our database – just keep looking!” Employers buy that bunk sandwich in bulk, and stuff it into their recruiting strategies and hiring policies. They behave as if they can hire “just in time” the “perfect candidate” who has been doing the same job for five years already — at a lower salary.
>>
> gets job at burger king
> starts off at 7$
> fml
> put forth extra effort
> get raises after 1 year make 9.50$ per hour
> has job experience
> trys to get another job
> get better job because you actually have work experience
> get office job 20$ per hour
why do people this hard literally what happened to me
>>
>>134076486
People don't change regardless of where they are. The same drama BS that happens in highschool translates into the workplace, whether that is a Walmart job or higher paying jobs.

One thing I have noticed is that money is not always the main factor. Regardless of where you work chances are you are going to feel underpaid or undervalued. People who make 70,000$ a year+ with full union jobs are out protesting on strikes yearly about their lack of compensation and workplace problems yet there are people grinding everyday for minimum wages (or close to minimum wage) eating shit not protesting because they cannot afford too and it would get them nowhere who would kill to have jobs making even 50,000 a year.

People never realize how good they have it compared to others, and people are willing to backstab and destroy others to get on top (actually in order to get to the top you have to do that) Good people get nowhere in society, they get shit on; most people adjust to the bullshit and have any good in them sucked out of them early after their first year in the work force.

The Walmart environment is everywhere, it's just better hidden in higher paying jobs - you'd be surprised what your supervisors are emailing between each other about you behind your back and what other people nice to your face are saying about you to others. If you are at all successful you have to go through tons of shitty people to get there, and then even more to hold on to the success - it's mentally exhausting.

The only way around it is starting your own business and only employing yourself. You are still in a competitive environment either way, and there are still people who are going to try and destroy your business, but at least you aren't dealing with the internal bullshit.
>>
>>134052376
Because of rational self interest.
>>
>>134052713
this

if companies treated people like people instead of disposable machines maybe i'd treat companies like an investment of my talent instead of whatever makes me the most money at any given time
>>
>>134077382
Those managers and HR schmucks got their own training at college and uni, it's no wonder they think that's sufficient training.
It's also no wonder that because of that, external managers and HR mongs are catastrophically shit at their job.
>>
>>134077382
Agreed, I've seen companies that offer training programs and employees are way happier there
>>
>>134078052
I honestly don't even know what a HR job actually entails. I've tried talking to people I know who do it, and it all seems like it's nothing but the most obvious of paperwork such as W2s, tax forms and data entry. It's a fucking joke and the world will be a better place once it's automated.
>>
File: 1500070024503.gif (539KB, 286x356px) Image search: [Google]
1500070024503.gif
539KB, 286x356px
>>134052376
Cuz they're getting gassed in 5
>>
File: 1489109015880.jpg (43KB, 600x469px) Image search: [Google]
1489109015880.jpg
43KB, 600x469px
>>134073046
>checks flag.
Yupp got yer problem right here, lemmy.
Its retarded.
>>
>>134052376
Man, you are lucky if you get a contract for one year. I don't know in which world you people live.
>>
>>134052376
What companies are willing to keep employees for 35-40 years? Is there even a single one?
>>
Because no one offers pensions anymore and 90% of benefits packages are dogshit.

You can't expect me to care about a company that doesn't care about me.
>>
>>134080638
> most companies will keep a hard worker / someone who is willing to work for their paycheck over someone who isn't
>>
>>134080799
40 years at the same company means you're at least 60 years old. Nobody wants to keep slow old people around in any company.
>>
File: 1479016051898.jpg (16KB, 400x449px) Image search: [Google]
1479016051898.jpg
16KB, 400x449px
>>134080799
Not in my field. Most companies will replace them with remote Indian workers for $8,000 per year instead of $60,000.

I just wanted to fix computers for a living. I thought it was neat. I didn't know browns would ruin my life.
>>
>>134080962
> implying at 60 you shouldn't be retired already
>>
>>134052376
It's not that millineals dont want to. It's that they hit the glass ceiling too quickly. All job promotions are tendered out and very rarely do you get promoted within the company. You have to shift employer to get ahead there is absolutely no reward for loyalty to the conpany.
>>
>>134080991
You should open your own repair business. You'll make a lot more money than doing that than working for someone else.
>>
>>134080465
>leaf forgets to change his flag
>>
>>134081135
Retire at 60, too maintain comfort level of lifestyle 50k minimum required for a boomer retiring today. Amount of funds to live out rest of life required 2million.
Nobody can afford to retire at 60, boomers are working till 70, gen x will prob work till 75 and millineals till 80.
>>
>>134052376
Because boomers work shit jobs such as barista or graphic designer in which there essentially is no learning curve because it's so primitive. Therefore it doesn't make sense to have a constant environment in which to perfect one's skills over decades.
>>
>>134081603
> implying having kids isn't a choice
did you take that into account my bills currently run
500$ rent
100$ internet
250$ car insurance
400$ health
300$ groceries roughly
>>
>>134052713
THIS. THIS. THIS.
Have had to find new jobs multiple times because the company sold to a foreign owned company who slashed everyone's salary in half.
When you've worked for a place for 10 years and they pull shit like that, it really doesn't engender loyalty.
>>
>>134076746
Guise we need more people

t. Jew
>>
>>134052376
Upwards mobility has pretty much became a meme
>>
>>134071119
Or the government subsidies
>>
>>134081159
10-20 of them in every town around me since every tech guy had the same problem, plus 30 independents on craigslist per town. I'd have to leave MA to be successful, which is an option, but I'm not leaving everyone yet.

It may be filled with expensive broken down homes, heroin epidemics, and 104 IQ "geniuses" as some liberal quasi-socialist hellhole, but it's my liberal quasi-socialist hellhole.
>>
>>134052376
Why? I used to work for a large corporation that started hiring foreigners for half the pay and ended up getting laid off. Most companies don't give a shit about employees. The company I work for now isn't much better, I got a promotion with no pay raise.
>>
>>134052376
>dead end job
I would if I could
>>
>>134084168
As a fellow Masshole I feel the exact same way. I'll probably work in Boston for the rest of my life
>>
>>134057026
The thing with wage cucks is they'll most likely have an intact and continuous employee pension.
>>
>>134057149
They never did.
>>
>>134052376
Because the only way to get a proper raise these days is to switch companies. You see it all the time, the people who stay more than 2 years start to get paid less than new employees and are then offered a new job by another company with a 20% + increased pay. You would be a fool to stay the same place for long
>>
>>134060782
>HR gate keepers asking you completely irrelevant questions more akin to "muh socializing" because they don't know any better.
This reminded me of that phenomenon according to which you set rules and forms and papers to fill just to justify your very existence as an HR manager
>>
>>134084168
You just have to be better than all of them and have better marketing. Craigslist is the lowest tier of marketing so you shouldn't even consider them competition. Be good at what you do and find creative ways to market your business and you will become successful, it's pretty much a given.
>>
File: 132132132.jpg (87KB, 800x764px) Image search: [Google]
132132132.jpg
87KB, 800x764px
>>134052376
>image
>millennials think this is what work is supposed to look like
you guys are so fucked
>>
>>134052376
Anyone in tech is getting placed at record speed with H1Bs.
>>
File: 1498488126652.png (107KB, 230x199px) Image search: [Google]
1498488126652.png
107KB, 230x199px
>134073036
Yea, we're fucked

t. Small business owner
>>
Life is about adventure and seeing different things, tasting new foods and trying out new sex moves! Yay!

real talk its because of conditioned adhd since childhood
>>
>>134085097
>You just have to be better than all of them
I am not. I'm good, and half of them are good. Some of them are great. There is an immense surplus of skilled workers in MA, people from across the country come here to work in tech, get laid off, and try starting their own businesses. I've tried my own repair business for 3 years on the side until my new job required a non-compete. The repair business didn't even pay the rent (1k outside the cities). I out 3k into materials and marketing but there's too many options and too little demand. Had more success with a resume writing service but that couldn't charge enough to employ people and couldn't be automated well enough to make an efficient wage.

I'm some late 20s regular guy. I'd make a decent company and could turn it into a damn good company over 35 years. This used to work. There are too many people here focusing on the same field. Opportunity is over in MA, North Carolina will be next.
>>
>>134052376
I just graduated with an accounting degree, and will be starting at a Big4 Accounting firm in September. My professor in school showed us 2 studies, ran by 2 different big4 firms 10 years apart that showed the same exact results. If you leave a big4 after 1-2 years, your next job (assuming its in the same-ish profession) will have a salary that is on average 10% higher. If you leave after 3-5 years, your next job will have on average a 30-40% higher salary. I think it was back down to 15-20% higher salary from 5-10 years. Why the fuck would I stay with the firm if I can get almost an immediate pay raise AND not have to work the insane hours that associates at b4 firms have to put in? Unless I am being told I can make partner (Which is rare, and they make like $800,000) then I'm going to probably jump ship when I see the best offer arise.
>>
>>134073085
>Leeches off society/daddys money
>calls others cucks
>>
>>134085500
Its the young, hip, west coast upstart. A re-enactment of the IT bubble days. Don't ask them about budgets and business.
>>
>>134052376
Because the company will outsource your work to india within <5 years
>>
>>134052555
The ability to get onto the next big thing before it becomes a big thing is an art and science.
>>
>>134052376
Maybe I would if one of those places would hire me.
>>
>>134052376
Yuppies jobhopped for mild pay increases. Then when they became the bosses at businesses (consulting firms) they refused regular pay schedules or raises because they thought everyone would be just like them and their disloyalty. Thus perpetuating the short term short sighted cycle by not paying the willing to stay and forcing out old skill for new fresh blood that takes a smaller pay.
>>
>>134082011
$400/mo in "health"?

someone pull the plug on this feeble degenerate
>>
>>134091383
Health insurance. Mine is $350 and I don't use it. It's the cheapest option for a cis white working male my county of Massachusetts.

It's a tax, basically. Thanks Obama.
>>
>>134057149
Costs too much, also to take advantage of h1b
>>134057455
Easy as long as the pay scale upward over time, people do a lot for reliable income
>>134067768
Make leaps for higher salary, disincentivizes pay raises since you'll leave at the first greener grass
>>134067871
Ding dong
>>134085500
The new people oriented working conditions made by women
>>134085738
And forced to train the replacements in order to keep severance/retirement packages
>>134085757
I hear ya
>>
File: FuckingChicago.jpg (52KB, 700x616px) Image search: [Google]
FuckingChicago.jpg
52KB, 700x616px
>>134052376
Wouldn't it just be easier to dig a hole and die?
>>
>>134073274
>old boss begs me to stay
>offers me 2% pay increase

Just job hop at this point.
>>
>>134052376
Daily 300 post millennial thread
>>
>>134052376
Because of the death of unions and the rise of right to work states.

If Juan from Mexico is able to do your job for a third of the cost, employers can fire for any reason
>>
>>134052376

>companies constantly shower me with bullshit about muh company loyalty, muh we are in this together, muh pull together as a team for the common good
>constantly try to weasel out of giving raises and paying overtime
>they will fire you without a second of thought in a downsizing wave, even decades of working there

Also, HR departments are ran by the worst kikes and normie facebook bitches.
>>
>>134093735
Yeah the whole workplace propaganda bullshit is really grating when they decide to cut your department staff in half and "forget" to give you raises they promised all the fucking time.
>>
>>134093612
True but remember, Unions give to the Dems who wanna let every Juan into the country and give them welfare checks.
>>
>>134061514
why the tripcode?
>>
>>134052376
>that hobo beard

I hope we look back on this stupid ass "style" the same way we look at mullets.
>>
File: CgIVWXBWQAInIF2.jpg (41KB, 600x675px) Image search: [Google]
CgIVWXBWQAInIF2.jpg
41KB, 600x675px
>>134052376
>>134052713

It was once the case that a family would be entirely loyal to one employer. The father would work there, gain experience and capital and pass it onto his sons, the sons would be better educated than the father from his efforts and have the potential to get to higher positions in the business which is growing to accommodate the multiplied workforce of the next generation. This workforce organism is not only very good at providing generations of versatile workers, but good for maintaining a workforce which can grow at the same exponential rate a business would ideally. This dynamic was so valuable that it created a higher demand for labour, thus, the first work benefits came about. the employer which could offer a workers family more would in effect secure an entire dynasty of continually improving workers.

Now, with the regulations on business so tight that none can grow to the point they can challenge top corporate hegemony, and the fact that government has hijacked all the earned benefits given by employers to workers based on their market value and turned it into welfare for those that don't contribute to such a workers benefit system, it has become impossible to recreate the family worker dynamic. Thus necessitating a much more nomadic career. Instead of sticking with one business or trade because it's the one that is best suited to you from all you have learned from your parents and possibly business sponsored education centering around said trade, the best way to to trade your labour now is to constantly jump from the most profitable position to the next, regardless of loyalty because the majority of benefits provided comes from the government and thus destroys incentive to earn them with a business.
Thread posts: 195
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.