[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Before the beginning of the siege, Mehmed II made an offer

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

File: ConstantineXIPalaiologos.jpg (55KB, 500x513px) Image search: [Google]
ConstantineXIPalaiologos.jpg
55KB, 500x513px
>Before the beginning of the siege, Mehmed II made an offer to Constantine XI. In exchange for the surrender of Constantinople, the emperor's life would be spared and he would continue to rule in Mistra. As preserved by G. Sphrantzes, Constantine replied:

To surrender the city to you is beyond my authority or anyone else's who lives in it, for all of us, after taking the mutual decision, shall die out of free will without sparing our lives.

Constantine led the defence of the city and took an active part in the fighting alongside his troops in the land walls. At the same time, he used his diplomatic skills to maintain the necessary unity between the Genoese, Venetian, and Greek troops.

Constantine died the day the city fell, 29 May 1453. There were no known surviving eyewitnesses to the death of the Emperor and none of his entourage survived to offer any credible account of his death.[27] According to Michael Critobulus (writing later in Mehmed's service) he remarked, "The city is fallen and I am still alive."[28] Then he tore off his imperial ornaments so as to let nothing distinguish him from any other soldier and led his remaining soldiers into a last charge where he was killed.[29]
>>
An ultimate hero.
>>
>>134051137
That's how the Roman Empire fell.
>>
File: 250px-ConstantinoXI.jpg (43KB, 250x330px) Image search: [Google]
250px-ConstantinoXI.jpg
43KB, 250x330px
>>134051435
He was the last Roman.
>>
File: 1496608041746.gif (2MB, 210x155px) Image search: [Google]
1496608041746.gif
2MB, 210x155px
>>134051137
I wish I lived during a time where I could do something like this. Die in a battle against my enemies. We live in a time when the enemies rule over us in every way. The war was over when any of us were born.
>>
File: ladda ned.jpg (10KB, 327x154px) Image search: [Google]
ladda ned.jpg
10KB, 327x154px
Theese people where Greek, they spoke Greek, they where Orthodox Christians. Romans where tratiros, they use violence to further expand their religion and they are the reason people where under enslavement. Even the name of the city is a greek word and not a roman/latin. So please stop shaming my people in the name of the roman catholic empire
>>
File: sarah-ourgirl.png (28KB, 812x727px) Image search: [Google]
sarah-ourgirl.png
28KB, 812x727px
>>134051137

Shill thread no 10^1000

Sage, report
>>
>>134052918
The Greek or Hellene identity corresponded to the pagan faith that believed in the twelve gods of Olympus. Yeah genetically sure, but they called themselves ROMANS because they were orthodox christian.
>>
>>134052918
They had Greek culture but saw and called themselves Romans.
>>
>>134051714
Belisarius was the last Roman. Constantine was Romanoi.
>>
>>134051137

:-(
>>
>>134053660
Belisarius was a ROMANVS, Constantine was a ρωμαϊkός
>>
>>134052918
>Under the rule of the Palaiologoi (1261 - 1453), the fragmented Byzantine Empire still considered themselves to be the Roman Empire
>>
>>134053660
>The origins of the Palaiologoi (lit. "old word", sometimes glossed as "ragman"[4] or "antique collector"[5]) are unknown. Later traditions sometimes tied them to the Italian city of Viterbo (the Latin vetus verbus having the same meaning as the family's name) or to the Romans who immigrated east with Constantine the Great during the founding of his new capital.
>>
>>134052918
Constantine XI was a Catholic
He had reconciled with Rome
>>
>>134052918
They were the roman empire, thats what everyone considered them as while they still existed. It was only after the fact that they became known as the byzantine empire by historians to distinguish them from the western roman empire.

Greek was the upper class language of ancient rome, and at times latin was the upper class language of eastern rome. Byzantine law was written in latin, not greek. The common language and formal language flip flopped on several occasions over the long history.
>>
File: 1484729903297.jpg (13KB, 419x506px) Image search: [Google]
1484729903297.jpg
13KB, 419x506px
>>134051137
>Then he tore off his imperial ornaments so as to let nothing distinguish him from any other soldier and led his remaining soldiers into a last charge where he was killed
>>
>>134054247
I read that many in Constantinopole preferred ottomans over papal domination.
>>
>>134054247
Which is why god punished them with turkroach invasion :^) (perhaps)
>>
Was it partially western europes fault that Turks invaded Constantinopole? If they hadnt sacked it in 1204 it would have Been much stronger and maybe able to resist muslim hordes.
>>
>>134056783
Of course. There had always been two forces that kept Europe safe. The sword in Iberia, progressingly taking their land back, and the shield that was the Byzantines in Anatolia. The Fourth Crusade shattered the shield, causing for most troops to be directed towards the capital rather than manning the frontier, which allowed the Turks to creep in. And once the Turks stepped foot on the Balkans, it was all over, there hadn't been a surge of power on that scale from the Southern Balkans since Basil II, and even then he stopped at the Danube.
>>
>>134052918
The word Roman meant universal civilization, empire by that time. Turks, Greeks and Germans used it to boast their empires, not their language or culture.
>>
>>134056783
The best excuse For this was that romans killed jesus so its justified.
>>
>>134051137
>Greek troops.
By saying Greek troops you disrespect the many Roman soldiers that fought for the Empire but were not ethnically Greek so it's better to say Roman.
>>
>>134062052
What was The biggest group apart from Greeks? Macedonians?
>>
>>134056414
Heh, it's true.
There is even a saying that says exactly that.
>>
>>134063151
>Macedonians?
Are you aving a gigle m8?
>>
>>134052260

That's no excuse. You can still die fighting, especially in the US where you have guns. Constantine had no chance of winning either, and that didn't stop him.
>>
>>134052918
The Greek and Romans churchs were united during the time of the fall of Constantinople you ignorant heretic.
>>
>>134051137
>would rather die than surrender his city and live another day
Sadly this can't be said of any "leaders" today.
>>
>>134063838
And still western countries failed to send any help they promised.
>>
File: 146216.jpg (27KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
146216.jpg
27KB, 480x480px
>>134051137
Makes me feel sorry for not helping the Byzantines.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.