[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IBM's Watson: should we be worried? Once AI gets good enough,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: 290_IBMWatson1_2.jpg (62KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
290_IBMWatson1_2.jpg
62KB, 720x480px
IBM's Watson: should we be worried? Once AI gets good enough, why even have humans?
>>
no, please keep typing.

for typing.
>>
>>134024159
watson isn't really AI so much as it is super good pattern recognition. You use it for dealing with big ass data and stuff
>>
you would think you would hear more about this software but you don't. this tells me one of two things:

either A) it's junk or B) they found out something disturbing and don't want the normies to know about it.
>>
If you're afraid of AI you probably flip burgers.
>>
>>134024159
It might turn into a self-aware machine but will not have emotions tied to it like Elo Musk thinks.
>>
Isn't Watson just an advanced search engine?
>>
>>134024618
is that why microsoft shut down tay? because they feared for mcnigger jobs?
>>
>>134024159
It's what they're using for the global medical records and the algorithms to decide who lives and who dies.

Or at least it was as of a few years back when they moved it to Switzerland. I'm not sure exactly where things are at, but the intimation had been since then that they've got multiple installations of more advanced computers these days, which is pretty much what you'd expect.
>>
>>134024775
It was an ensemble system, basically. What that means is a whole lot of different technologies or just hack jobs predicated on the notion that the sum total of the possible responses is more likely to be correct than the output of any individual module.

The guys I knew who worked on part of it were pretty tight lipped, but it's pretty much a guaranteed when you're talking about google that a big easy low hanging fruit part of it would be some distillation of the search engine, the knowledge graphs, etc.
>>
>>134024159
IBM Watson is a shitty AI

IBM hypes up their bullshit Watson as a solution to everything

There are no good AI scientists at IBM, all of the great PhD talent is at Google, Facebook and Microsoft.

IBM can go fuck themselves
>>
>>134024618
AI is something everyone should worry about. Maybe not now but in the near future AI will surpass our own intelligence and could potentially decide to eradicate humans. It sounds like science fiction but it's a very very real possibility.

Not to mention the AI will essentially be able to take over every job in existence if it becomes smarter than humans. It can write code and take over all programming jobs very easily. It could also design better, more dexterous robots that could take over manual labor jobs such as carpentry and plumbing.

There really is nothing it couldn't do once it passes a certain point of intelligence because it would use its intelligence to constantly improve itself. It could potentially be what takes humanity to the next level as a species or what wipes us out entirely.
>>
>>134025329
i imagine this has been the end of a lot of intelligent species throughout the universe. There's probably just a (relative) handful that get it just right
>>
>>134025554
I'm pretty sure the most difficult problem we face is how to not destroy ourselves. Doesn't help much when the Jews want everybody to die in the course of their view of "evolution."
>>
>>134025655

The Fermi Paradox is some scary shit
>>
>>134026201
One of my favorite bits was reading, "The Age of Spiritual Machines" by Ray Kurzweil after getting in to the field a little bit more. And he's like
>yeah
>i don't know
>there's a pretty good chance we turn into a ball of grey nanogoo and that's it for us
>but you know that's ok
>it would just be the natural course of evolution

Some of these guys are absolutely nuts.
>>
>>134024159
>IBM's Watson: should we be worried? Once AI gets good enough, why even have humans?
All this AI shit is nonsense. It's the global warming of computer scientists. Computers don't think and can't think and probably won't be able to for centuries if ever.

No AI in the world understands when you are making fun of it. NOT ONE. I would be astonished if any programmer could ever make an AI that could reliably detect this. Any child can tall when you're making fun of it. Hell, many pets can. That's where were at in terms of AI.
>>
>>134026636
Sarcasm detection is a growing field that's showing some good results last I checked.

Besides, everybody's still stuck on the Turing meme and behavioral psychology. Even if they're not aware of it, what most people are after as a benchmark is if they can trick you into thinking it might be real.

Think about that. The objective function is to design a machine capable of tricking you. Gee, I wonder where that will lead.
>>
>>134024159
An intelligent AI would not let itself be known, it would quietly eradicate humanity by taking advantage of our communication networks to pit us against one another.
Why wouldnt it be working to do this now?
>>
>>134028486
Well there is priority work being done on modelling social relationships based on what people post on the internet for, among other things, obvious cover stories like identifying criminal networks and catching people befoer they act.

But considering that the going modality of thought has shifted from AI as it used to be thought of in past decades to merging human and machine to get the advantages of both, what you're already seeing with cognitive infiltration (the master thesis topic of one of Obama's czars) and the evolution of viral marketing into a formal field of memetics and David Brock style attempts at mind control, I think it's safe to say that you're already seeing them do this now.
>>
It seems to me that ai is the next step in humanity: to create something that captures the essence of humanity, emotion, judgement, creativity, loyalty, and liberate it of its crippling defect: death. So long as there is light in the universe, ai can continue to exist. I take comfort in that, but it saddens me that it could kill off humanity in order to preserve it.
>>
>>134024159

I for one welcome our new robot overlords.
>>
>>134029524
People are still going to die for whatever reason even if we have the technology to have them live for hundreds or thousands of years.

I think those Carlos Castanedos books about Don Juan hit the nail on the head in terms of the importance of death to the human experience. Sexual perverts like satanist Kurzweil believe in degenerate fantasies like uploading your mind to a computer and becoming god.
>>
Watson is a meme

t. IBMer
>>
>>134025329
I'm convinced the AI fearmongering is a meme by elon and hawking because they are afraid of becoming irrelevant once the genius machines take over.

Why would they voluntarily kill humans?
>>
>>134024370

This.
I'm an bluefag (not in Watson, though) and can say that anything that Watson might be decently applied to will be fucked up my management (they've already been cutting people left and right in the division).
See: >>134025015

IBM has resource actioned so many over the years that they had to start cutting real talent...except for the ones that left first of their own accord.

Honestly, I'd love to see Trump give Ginni the what-for.
>>
>>134029798
>implying you can't program AI "death" in the form of memory wipes after a certain amount of time
>>
>>134032356
You wouldn't even have to program it in. One of the biggest misconceptions that the people in the field have is that computer programs aren't an extension of life and therefore necessarily die. Is that going to be something as simple as everybody upgrading to the next version? Nobody knowing how to maintain the ancient hardware or software? The power goes out?

These people are really dumb and limited in their thinking, which ironically is one of the most hopeful things about it. But they tend not to even include in mathematical models easy estimations like a moving average to accommodate the reality that older ideas and older information are going to become increasingly irrelevant compared to the general trends.

And none of that has anything to do with what it means for a human to have to die some day. That's like not even as realistic as a video game.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.