[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://arstechnica.com/science/201 7/07/nasa-computer-engin

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1500078169543.png (517KB, 934x621px) Image search: [Google]
1500078169543.png
517KB, 934x621px
https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/07/nasa-computer-engineer-basement/

325 magnetic data tape reels

PN8 [Pioneer 8]: 1 reel

PN9 [Pioneer 9]: 2 reel

PN10 [Pioneer 10): 40 reels

PN11 [Pioneer 11]: 53 reels

HELl [or] HEL-A [Helios 1]: 10 reels

HESA [possibly an abbreviation for Helios A]: 2 reels

Intelsat IV: 2 reels

Unlabelled or labelled without mission-related identifying information: approximately 215 reels

“There is no evidence that suggests this material is historically significant... I recommend disposal through the immediate destruction of all magnetic tapes.”

Read the link. There are a BUNCH of shills on there claiming to be archival experts claiming the tapes need to be destroyed. It makes no sense /pol/ What are they hiding and why?
>>
>>133694877
Well that really brings the rigatoni to boil
>>
>325 magnetic tapes are labeled
>Some of them aren't listed in the NASA archives
>A lot of them have mold and are "dangerous" to work with
>Archive "experts" tell them to destroy everything
>NASA recommends destroying everything

Does this make any sense? Archeologists are probably shitting their pants at such a loss.
>>
Next to global warming nothing is more dangerous than toxic mold.
>>
>>133695451
They are trying to burying something.
The only question is what.
>>
>>133695333
really gets my ziti baking
>>
>>133696142
>They are trying to burying something.
>The only question is what.

Toxic mold.
>>
It might be nothing, but this screams coverup. Yes, I understand that just because it's old doesn't mean it could be worth anything, but this is why museums keep a bunch of shit laying around, until they can decipher what it is. In this case, the tapes should be stored until a later date until someone is able to figure out what's on them, even a small fragment .
>>
Ayys
>>
>>133697751
All it takes is someone with money to pick the things up and start working to find out what's on them.

It probably won't be worth what's paid, but who knows.
>>
>>133696142
If they wanted to bury something, they would have taken the tapes back. But they don't want them because they're just a pile of mold at this point. You probably can't even play them back anymore, even if they weren't covered in mold, magnetic tapes degrade over time and these things are almost fifty years old
>>
>>133697751
>In this case, the tapes should be stored until a later date until someone is able to figure out what's on them, even a small fragment .

They already know what's on them, mold. No spores must be allowed to survive.
>>
>>133696057
>>133697610
>>133698131
>>133698159
>If only there were some way to dispose of the mold and salvage as much as possible.
However, I'm sure this would never have had any attention if it needed burying.
>>
>>133698779
They wouldn't have let the guy take them home if there was anything interesting on them
>>
>>133698913
He may have just dumpster dived for them. We really don't know. The article claims they know but probably don't.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.