/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here work for the government? What's it like? Is

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11

File: qp4xwh32eo8z.jpg (622KB, 1061x1042px) Image search: [Google]
qp4xwh32eo8z.jpg
622KB, 1061x1042px
Anyone here work for the government?

What's it like?
Is it wasteful like everyone says or is it secretly a way to get a good wage with pension and dick around on the internet all day?
>>
>>133304352
Bump
>>
File: 1499815099109.jpg (18KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1499815099109.jpg
18KB, 480x480px
I'm in the Navy, it's very boring. The government is bipolar when it comes to money; they will spend enormous amounts on retarted impractical shit but won't provide money for training programs or facilities that are actually useful. When I'm on shore I dick around on the internet a lot and only do real work about half an hour a day. I'm on an SSBN so underway, I work roughly 15 hrs a day every single day for up to three months. I say roughly because sometime you do an eight hour watch and half hour clean up, and that's it, but sometimes you'll be up 20 hours doing dumb shit.
>>
I'm also in the Navy. The benefits are good but the Navy definitely gets its pound of flesh.

The government is more wasteful than you can possibly imagine but keep in mind they don't screen for IQ and have been doing affirmative action since the 1960s.
>>
>>133305097
>>133305515
This is pretty much what I've heard. The government spends enormous amounts of money.

The US has the highest amount of spending compared to other countries and my guess is most of it is squandered.
>>
>>133306056
It's squandered if you think the purpose is what's stated. Like, is the purpose to build an effective warship, or to make sure lots of money gets spent in certain congressional districts?

Protip, the purpose is NOT to make an effective warship. I hate the LCS so damn much.
>>
I've thrown away hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of perfectly good tools during my time in the Marine Corps. Order a part and get the wrong thing? Supply won't take it back and your department head refuses to take custody of it. Other times we had extras and have to throw them away for inspections...yes. The level of waste allowed on every level would boggle your mind.
>>
>>133307093
Dude just take them home and sell them
>>
Used to work for Ontario government. The constant lack of competence drove me to never work for them again. Can't stand getting paid to do nothing, especially at the expense of taxpayers.
>>
>>133304352
Not directly for the government, but the funding rules are bullshit, and then they added more rules to curtail the waste and now I have to flagrantly break them to spend the money as effectively as before.

At least everybody just trusts me and it would cost too much to audit the situation enough to figure out what I'd done. All the waste comes from higher level management anyway.

But man it really does feel awesome when you rip one that scratches your ass for you. Sealbro has it right.
>>
Blue collar city government here, super wasteful, decent healthcare, pension is nice, laid back department culture.

Love my job.
>>
File: 1498674435751.jpg (100KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1498674435751.jpg
100KB, 540x540px
Old 35N here. Fraud waste and abuse are rampant. Capabilities are insane. Shits fucked.
>>
>>133306056

The thing is, I don't think we even know where most of the money goes. And I don't mean "we" as in the people, I mean even the ones in charge of the budget committee.
>>
>>133304352
Friend works for the department of veteran affairs.
His retirement package is 1.7 mill since trump took office
I'll look for the pic he sent me
>>
>>133310772
Duckduckgo won't let me post a pic so I switched to Google
>>
File: 44700.jpg (627KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
44700.jpg
627KB, 960x1280px
>>133310918
Sorry forgot pic
>>
>>133305097

fuck off lazy e-3. b-b-b-but IM AN E4.fat, lazy faggot
>>
>>133310963
wtf

I guess this explains why we are importing so many shitskins. Do people really think this is sustainable?
>>
>>133304352
Former Census Bureau worker here (Suitland, MD). The pay is lower than you can find on the private sector, benefits were cut drastically and only competitive with the private sector, people were really smart but not always motivated. Lots of internal politics. No signs of illumaiti at low level positons
>>
>>133309325
Not gov employee, But I am 100% sure that would be considered theft of government property even if it was going to the scrap yard. And more than likely some one higher up the chain of command will try and sell it, they won't let someone below them benefit.

I personally can't wait to get my STEM degree go private sector then switch to an EZ gov job for the stable hours and pension. Its an A1 track to success and apathy!
>>
>>133306056
>The US has the highest amount of spending compared to other countries and my guess is most of it is squandered.
Only the government would need/spend 400 dollars on a toilet seat.
>>
>>133311911
If they had $500 toilet seats we might really know by now if the Russians hacked the elections.
>>
>>133304352
>Is it wasteful like everyone says or is it secretly a way to get a good wage with pension and dick around on the internet all day
whynotboth.jpg
>>
File: stuffinspace-gps.png (272KB, 1169x828px) Image search: [Google]
stuffinspace-gps.png
272KB, 1169x828px
I did a little DoD work at a Landsat Base in New England that had been established during Reagan's Star Wars program. This was just before the 2nd Gulf War. Refining streaming media for instantaneous viewing and other stuff. I stayed busy, I felt like it mattered. Money was good.
>>
File: hillchenosepick.jpg (231KB, 576x768px) Image search: [Google]
hillchenosepick.jpg
231KB, 576x768px
>>133312300
video, derp
https://youtu.be/V30vSPFLeoE
>>
>>133310772
How far up the ladder is this guy? How on earth does get that amount?
>>
>>133304352

not anymore and yes ineffective.
>>
>>133304352
I work for my local state college as a groundskeeper. I guess the college has good raises until you work there for five years. I like it.
>>
>>133304352
I work for my local government. It's every bit as bad as you would think. I shitpost on /pol/ most of my day and do maybe two hours work of work.
>>
>>133304352
DSNY. Don't get me wrong, we bust our asses, but we abuse OT. Also, 90% of the guys are on coke. I would say maybe 70% of civil service in general is on coke.
>>133309463
What was your job position ?
>>
File: 1491884497088.jpg (90KB, 504x566px) Image search: [Google]
1491884497088.jpg
90KB, 504x566px
Private contractor w/ a software company riding the Navy's dick. From what I understand a lot of government software is treated like a silo or fiefdom, with each bureaucrat hand-rolling their own personal implementation of what everyone else also does, at unbelievable cost.

I swear my entire company could be replaced by one subject matter expert and one Microsoft Excel autist.

But what the fuck ever, security clearance gigs can't get hijacked by poo-in-loos.
>>
>>133310963
Are those projections?
Like he actually only has 20,000, and the other figures are estimates 10, 20, 30 and 40 years out?
Cause good luck getting 7% a year for 40 years.
And 40 years from now 1.7 million will get you a brand new shiny hearing aid battery.
>>
>>133314595
>security clearance gigs can't get hijacked by poo-in-loos.
Foreigners shouldn't be anywhere near national security.
>>
>>133305515
>>133305097
my cousin is currently a marine and was told that ship life is a fucking vacation. You literally do nothing all day, maybe a few live fire exercises which are fun, and then you workout, eat, and if you want just chill in your rack. I remember face timing him and he was watching arrested development for 4 hours straight cause theres nothing to fucking do
>>
>>133314775
I remember asking my parents 10 years ago if they thought their pensions would really pay out.
>of course anon
>with a 7% projection we're all set
And what makes 7% parents?
>we just got a letter assuring us that the pensions were right on target
And do you think they're going to tell you anything else until the house of cards falls
>anon, I think you're paranoid

wew
>>
>>133315278
I guess it depends on the brass. A guy I worked with said sometimes they spent 17 hours mopping the flight deck. Just to have something to do and btw flight deck must be super clean.
>>
File: 1497124759725.jpg (14KB, 245x246px) Image search: [Google]
1497124759725.jpg
14KB, 245x246px
>>133314930
Foreigners shouldn't be anywhere near any of our industry until domestic frictional unemployment hits zero. So, never.
>>
>>133314362

Sanitation Department? If I leave my can by the curb, the guys just empty it and leave the can. So how do I throw out an old garbage can?
>>
>>133315556
A lot of 401k's got wiped out in 2008. So there's that.
>>
>>133315805
I believe Illinois is having a problem with this as we shitpost.
>>
>>133311911
Commercial airlines might spend that much if it saves a few cents of fuel each takeoff.
>>
>>133304352
Contractor here. Won't say which branch, though. Federal funding is seriously the funniest thing I've ever learned about.
>>
>>133316512
>Commercial airlines might spend that much if it saves a few cents of fuel each takeoff.
Most already do. A lot of aluminum goes into making food service trays etc. Now if they could just get rid of fat fucks who buy an extra seat and sit next to me. Nothing worse than listening to a fat slob trying to breathe.
>>
>>133304352
I work as a lab tech for a county. It's got great benefits and you make bank. The job is easy and yeah you can dick around as long as you get it done. If you don't get the job done or are dicking around too much you'll get the boot.

There's barely any money though, the county level is much more stable than federal or state but most of the stuff we use has been donated and is very old.
>>
File: arugmon.png (697KB, 876x856px) Image search: [Google]
arugmon.png
697KB, 876x856px
>>133304352
To put it simply, the government is so wasteful that they have a government program setup in order to curb wastefulness. That program is incredibly innefficent and the buttend of many jokes.

>Why are throwing all of this expensive shit?
>Better call fraud, waste and abuse!
>Bemused smiles with an undertone of annoyed sorrow at the complete inability to escape the moronic reasoning of the higher ups, and eventually relegating yourself to disposing of said items. All the while, contemplating that you, your parents, your kids, everyone you have ever, or will ever know paid for that perfectly good item that is now being thrown away for no apparent reason.

Overall, I think a lot of people work for the Government in hopes of improving things from the inside, and some (well, a few) genuinely want to make things better. These people all just also accept that due to the nature of the government...the sheer size and unwieldy nature of it...the unaccountable, arbitrary whims of powerful, shortsighted bureaucrats means that there is virtually no chance that anything you ever do will ever change anything.

Even the slightest noticeable modification will have virtually no impact towards the shared goals of all of the people who submit themselves to being a part of it. It's all just drawing doodles in the sand; the tide is just going to wash away any effort you expend without fail like clockwork. It will always revert to a faceless, seamless texture of muddy inefficiency.
>>
I had an Uncle who retired from ODOT. Was a snow plow driver and during bad winters he accrued so much comp time, he could take a few months off.
>>
>>133304352
we have a set amount of money we get every year for expenses. think like paper desks chairs and shit. It comes like a check 500,000. if we only use 490,000 in on year because we tryed not to waste money then next year our budget is cut and we get sent a check for 490,000. Its an incentive to spend the money. We end up blowing a shit ton of money toward the end of the year on overpriced bullshit just to protect our budget going forward. Government accounting is fucked anon.
>>
>>133318225
^speaks the truth.

I can always make myself giggle about funding.

You literally have to spend all the money to make more money. If you don't spend all the money, you get less money later. Too much left over might get someone fired, meaning it is less likely for someone else to get you money. The term "burn rate" is used almost everywhere by everyone in charge of money, in nearly every meeting I have attended.

I have, many times, simultaneously cried and laughed myself to sleep.
>>
>>133304352
I'm a State employee at a state edu. I'm also an SEIU member...I work in an IT related technical position.
It is EXACTLY:
"a way to get a good wage with pension and dick around on the internet all day"

I guess I should feel guilty, but fuck da police.
>>
>>133315679
I don't know if you're trolling or not, but if you're still home at the time, you can personally ask the guys to throw it in the truck. Otherwise, you can try running the can through a table saw, then stack the plastic pieces, and tie them together in a bundle.
>>
>>133318962
This what I'm looking to get into. Basically a job that requires a minimum amount work, isn't stressful and gives me free time.

I would like to go back and do my master's degree but I don't have the energy with my current job.
>>
>>133318716
9/11 was the best

>anon I need to talk to you in my office
erm, ok?
>*click* door closes
>so you see anon
>we have to spend this money within a year
>this is more money than we usually get, but if we want more then we have to spend it
ummk?
>this is once in a lifetime
>we can apply for a no-cost extension at the end of the contract, but we won't get it if we haven't spent most of it by then
o-ok, gotcha, I've been helping run the books for the past few years
>so anon
>I need you to figure out how to spend $XYZ and justify it
:O
>please provide a plan within a week
u-uh, ok... let me have a look in to it, i need to think about this
>>
Did 10 years as a public servant. To get in the mind set that it's a cushy job for life is soul destroying.

I got sick of the bullshit and waste. Seeing bullshit jobs created that serve no legitimate purpose. Fuck, I even had an "expert" inspect my desk and chair to make sure it was ergonomically set up to his satisfaction.

I'm glad i left. I'm now self-employed and much happier. Ironically, most of my work comes from government but I'm engaged privately.
>>
>>133318962
>I'm also an SEIU member
I stopped reading right there.
>>
>>133314362
I was your typical office clerk. Management is where the real waste is. Through a bunch of offices, all they do is vacation or sleep while collecting 6 figures.
>>
>>133319417
Hire lots of people. They don't seem to mind "experience" and "credentials" as long as the end result "works". I'm more and more convinced by the day that I was brought on board to just help sponge up money.
>>
>>133320698
Nope, there were restrictions on how the money could be spent. Couldn't be used for paying people.

But I used it to set up a precursor of what would become HPCC. Good stuff. Local businesses for the initial spending, worked out the bugs, forced the IT department to deal with things like costing restructure and how to set up the fiber LAN they had planned in, how to look forward to racks, etc.

I have zero regrets. The government needs more people like me with a mind for engineering. Chasing the end result because it "works" for some definition of "works" is going to tank the system.
>>
>>133320035
It isn't like they gave me a choice. It's a Union place. The SEIU spends dues on helping crackheads, alcoholics and pimps keep their jobs -I know it, what the fuck can I do?

Employers try to get the most amount of work for the least amount of money.
Employees try to do the least amount of work for the most amount of money.

I'm winning the game, don't hate.
>>
>>133321215
Don't get me wrong - I'm not a minimalist. There is just so much broken about the technologies we're using here. I won't go into too much detail, but that sounds similar to what I'm doing now (they like to throw around HPC and other acronyms quite a bit). Basically, I got in through experience alone, so I can offer advice in only so many areas, mainly pertaining to specific implementations, and even so, in a very limited way. However, I have to put up with the abomination of an architecture that is already in place, and the "experts" get to call the shots (understandably so, it is difficult to justify anything other than a think tank of nothing but PhDs doing this sort of thing). However, they've been at this for so long that they've found themselves sitting on a big pile of spaghetti - and just thrown in the towel design-wise. I've so eagerly voiced my opinion about the whole mess to such a degree - and provided architecturally-sound alternatives - that I'm systematically ignored on certain subject matter.

Really, at this point, I'm just looking for what will get the job done reliably for as long as possible, but there will be a point in the future where the entire thing will collapse under its own weight.
>>
>>133321215
>government
>cluster(fuck)
Pick one.
>>
>>133322350
They're going to keep pushing it anyway. I get so many IoT trade letters and conference invites that I just delete them. It's a ferocious rage of money and blind belief.

It's strange. I stayed in because I wanted to see it for myself. But I always wanted out, and it's pretty depressing to see so many soulless people working for the money jew replacing actually brilliant minds off to retire in comfort.
>>
>>133322573
Read the thread, ass. I don't technically work for the government.
>>
>>133322745
>I don't technically work for the government.
Surprising an idiot like you is even employable.
>>
>>133304352
my girlfriend works with accounting and numbers for the DoD in upstate NY. Shit starts at over 50k a year plus several tiers up in benefits.

she's 21 with two degrees and a minor, but her coworkers aren't as qualified or as smart.
>>
>>133323069
Surprising you don't know about the network of contractors and subcontractors. Take a day trip around the beltway sometime (it'll take you the whole day if you go at the wrong time.)

Half or most of those people should get cut and regentrified with nigger housing instead of me.
>>
I do IT in a school district. I can confirm that most of the year we dick around. The Tech Director is in a different building so barely any direct supervision.

Summers are different- lots of preparation for the following school year.

Pay is good, contracts get renewed every few years with pretty good raises.
>>
>>133322745
I'll never forget this one time I was at MITRE it was horrible
>fine ok I'll drive all you there on your own dime
>drink by myself in the hotel with pokemans on the CRT tv because I hate this shit
>intranet doesn't work
>conference delayed because intranet doesn't work
>finally works and it's just old jews and other ivory towers presenting bullshit
>wind up designing engines of various number of cylinders on my paper to keep my mind occupied
actually that's not very unlike this one qt AF chick I saw at one of these confabs
>send half the people home because here comes a snowstorm
but that was capstone
>hoon at 70MPH though snowstorm with muh fuckin hoonbox until eventually I had to needle around everybody stuck on a fucking hill
GET OFF THE ROAD RETARDS

I guess that was fun, but probably not what the gov't should be spending money on.
>>
I work in software testing, specifically testing missile defense systems. We spend every other two week period doing fuck all and getting paid for it. Shit's fucked, but at least I get to catch up on my reading.

It makes me cringe every time I hear some young, dumb asshole say they want the government to take control of healthcare. Imagine all those doctors, nurses, and other people that get paid every time you go to the doctor. If the government takes over expect to have a dozen people like me sitting around doing fuck all added on to that bill.
>>
this thread has potential.

i am a contractor for a government agency. we contractors do all the work, the agency itself is otherwise a jobs program for minorities that can pass a background security check.
>>
>>133323363
You sound like someone whom is very idealistic. Sorry but the world is and always has been a very fucked up place. And I have found through personal and professional experience, you cannot idiot proof a Network or Computer system. Idiots find a way every time.
>>
>>133324433
nice checks

I guess it's up to the people who give it a run around to find out how awful the whole thing is from the inside. To be honest that's the only reason why I went as far as I did, and I'm glad for whatever reason I had the sense to avoid getting cleared.
>>
>>133304352
i use to work for state government. literally had to waste money on stupid shit because if we didn't spend the money we were given, they would cut our budget the next year. spent 30k on a tractor we did not need. countless other things. facility i was at was on about 8 acres. they bought 4 pallets of concentrated weed killer.
>>
>>133304352

When I worked for the government:

It was the biggest fucking scam I ever associated myself with. There was so much red tape to cross and processes to wait on, that once the new guy learned them like everyone else, management would get pissed but knew their hands were tied. Government workers know they are almost free from being fired, while contributing the bare fucking minimum to make it all work. New ideas that OBVIOUSLY speed up the process and produce better results are ALMOST ALWAYS shit upon because it would require change, which requires effort, and if it isn't "their idea" they don't like it, even if it is the same fucking idea.

Everyone eho actually cares about making a career will fucking stab you in the back at the first chance they see you as a threat, because these peoplr are competing for that upper position that will be vacant in 10 years once that lazy fuck who fills the position already either dies or retires.

It's truly amazing how the government even works. I suppose the greatest motivation to get results out of these fucks is to threaten a furlough or shut down, because GOD FUCKING FORBID these lazy fucks might have to compete with the private sector who has zero tolerance for government worker bullshit.

Yeah, there are good people who work for the government, but they either burn out and leave the government or turn into one of those lazy fucks sho do the bare minimum to get a pension.

Fuck the government.
>>
>>133304352
No longer, but worked federal INS (low clerical not an agent nor adjudication office) the pay was good but there wasn't enough work to do. Management just made shit up for tasks. My grampa coworker out ranked me but would surf the net all day. Literally did nothing. He would note when I got face time with our Supervisor. I quit when I came back from vacation and his BFF was relocated to my desk...didn't even box up my stuff. Apparently grampa and Manager wanted to help her out. The people I saw barely had enough skillset to get out of the trailer park.

I've worked state employment. Slightly smarter but tons more arrogance. All union snobbery. Good pay and benefits. Retirement promise unbelievably high. You have to be prepared to work in a world where intelligence isn't valued, instead seniority and fake-friendship exists. Got hired because team didn't like shoe-in. No accountability once permanent. Had to put up with lazy coworkers...fake piles of work to look busy, hoarding and stealing office supplies. One lady said her kids back to school costs reduced "cuz it's right there".....lots of fucked up cat ladies, antidepressant zombies, and beta males. Minorities get Xtra points so tons of them crawling about in broken English. Never seen so many service support animals either.

Stay the eff out unless you're desperate. Be prepared to eat lots of shit till you're past probation. Then suck up the trough with the other hogs.
>>
>>133325105
I don't know what the fuck they were doing, but one time the local government didn't buy enough road salt just when we were getting one of those jet stream sags (jews call it arctic vortex or whatever) and this after a nigress had /ragequit about the roads only getting fixed in the rich white people neighborhoods and the local NPR affiliate running stories about how this time the local government was surely going to fix the damn roads nao!

Oh how I laughed. They did wind up fixing the roads better, but it was great watching the kind of """people""" who run the local government break apart.
>>
>>133325181
>It's truly amazing how the government even works.
Google what the reuirements are for Oreo cookies sometime.
(must be a certain diameter and thickness, certain uniform color, etc. It's bizarre that someone not only requires this, but someone has to oversee it). You just can't sell a bag of Oreo to the government. Maybe this is why we're 20 trillion in debt.
>>
File: 1499552245463.jpg (38KB, 496x660px) Image search: [Google]
1499552245463.jpg
38KB, 496x660px
>>133311022
Nigger I literally CAN'T do any real work 90% of the time we're in refit assist/offcrew. When we're underway, it's a different story.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.