[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dear Dad, Ive always been fascinated with Anglo stuff and I

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Dear Dad,

Ive always been fascinated with Anglo stuff and I assume you have more knowledge of these things than I can find with a cursory glance at the internet. so here goes.

1. Can the reigning monarch dissolve parliament? I was reading that they in fact can but it seems like they do this in only an official capacity at the beginning and ending of sessions etc. but could they just march in there mid debate and tell parliament to "fuck off I'm taking over again"?

2. is it true that the royal family has to stay out of politics completely? like they cant even offer an opinion on things? like what would happen if the queen came out with a MAGA hat on? would that be a problem?

3. I thought that if there was a male heir they were automatically king after their father (the last king) died. what the hell is going on here? why has Elizabeth been sitting the throne for so long?

4. you guys still have Dukes and Earls and Barons and the like? do they walk around town unattended or do they get carted around like royalty used to? like have you ever seen a Duke strolling around and said hello? is that a thing or do they send your ass to the gallows?

5. whats up with naming Elton John a knight? or any actor or musician or cook or trash collector etc? I mean a Knight is a pretty serious title isn't it? we arent handing out Medals of Honor to just anybody ya know? why is the term Knight being used so loosley?

6. what other cool shit you guys got going on over there we don't know about?

Thanks dad, Ur the best,

~ USA
>>
>>133173223
1. Yes
2. In theory, yes
3. Liz has no brothers. Her grandson William will be King next, though this depends on whether his father Charles accepts or abdicates
4. No, but they are landed gentry. For example, the Duke of Westminster own half of London's land
5. There area variety of Orders that may be bestowed on subjects by the monarch in recognition for services to the country and it people. 'Knights' are the recipients of one of several Orders.
6. Islam.
>>
>1. Can the reigning monarch dissolve parliament? I was reading that they in fact can but it seems like they do this in only an official capacity at the beginning and ending of sessions etc. but could they just march in there mid debate and tell parliament to "fuck off I'm taking over again"?
This is called Royal Prerogative and the incentive for it was lost during the reign of Victoria, so in practice it is extremely unlikely but yes, in theory it is legal. While the overwhelming majority of the Queen's prerogative powers are devolved to her ministers, there is one exception that allows her to wield power herself. Only "in grave constitutional crisis," the Sovereign can "act contrary to or without Ministerial advice." With no precedent in modern times, it's not clear what would actually constitute this, but the possibility remains.

>
2. is it true that the royal family has to stay out of politics completely? like they cant even offer an opinion on things? like what would happen if the queen came out with a MAGA hat on? would that be a problem?
This isn't law. But it is decency on behalf of the monarch. Although arguably, they've taken it too far and I hope they do involve themselves with politics at some point.

>3. I thought that if there was a male heir they were automatically king after their father (the last king) died. what the hell is going on here? why has Elizabeth been sitting the throne for so long?
Read about Rex v Rex trials after the English civil war. The British monarchy is unique in assent, law, procedure and as an institution, it's not comparable to any other form of government on the planet in terms of monarch-parliament relations.
>>
>>133174016
Also have King Charles III
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoJVn0Eq8y0
>>
Hi I'll answer what I can. Some interesting questions highlighting common ignorance in some cases. I guess I'll be getting a book on British monarchy and parliament asap.

3. Lets assume it modernised at some point.
4. You probably wouldn't notice them around town, other than a tweed jacket and an old Jaguar. Some only have the title and a stately home, which is crumbling due to the family wealth being lost somehow. Some have more. Those with these kind of titles closest to the Royals will be in the papers occasionally but not really known to most people. Probably go to royal parties etc.
5. You'd hope they had some serious charity work behind them as well as their status according to modern societies standards. Normally it'll be for "service to the empire" which we must suppose is calibrated by artistic reach and renown these days. I mean, I assume there is always charity behind it too... sometimes it might be to draw attention to the system itself - by naming a rebel. Like whoever rejected them. Bowie or Jagger. Or maybe they both accepted or weren't offered. Fuck, I don't know. Most civil servants will receive an honour (OBE, CBE) but KBE is for the REAL BIG SHOTS. Kinda.
6. Ancient Kinsfolk Land-Magic, you should come along. Just get really quiet and go to the south-west hills. Stay here forever.

Sincerely, Dad

Cmon now son it's past your bedtime
>>
>>133173800

Charles will be King. Why would it skip him, why would he decline?
>>
>>133173223
4. Yes, there are numerous members of the peerage. They are not treated like the royal family, and have varying means of wealth.
5. There are different orders of Knighthood. But they still don't just hand them out all willy nilly. He was recognized from what was deemed a significant cultural service for the British Empire.
>>
Lose the autism and get a girlfriend faggot
>>
>>133175242
t. amhed pakinigger
>>
>>133175136
I don't know. It's a hunch. I suspect that William would be a much more popular King, though I may be completey wrong.
>>
File: UK5.jpg (231KB, 1130x1121px) Image search: [Google]
UK5.jpg
231KB, 1130x1121px
>>133173223
most of the population has been infected with the Democracy Virus where the plebs vote to be ruled by Parliament
>>
>>133174286

sweet i hope he does this
>>
>>133175294
Gee, guess you really showed me
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.