[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

if americans are mostly from europe how did the "american

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

File: 1498182529168.jpg (475KB, 1084x768px) Image search: [Google]
1498182529168.jpg
475KB, 1084x768px
if americans are mostly from europe how did the "american accent" and the loss of the bong accent take place?

typically people are more likely to talk like the people around them
>>
The American accent doesn't exist, dumbfuck. What you're talking about is something Hollywood created for news networks. Look it up.
>>
The American accent is actually closer to the 18th Century English accent than modern Bong is.

Also, our accents are extremely regional. I can barely understand Trolls when they come over the Bridge and camp in the Porcupines.

t. Yooper.
>>
>>133120729
Hey, I watched this episode like last week.
>>
>>133120901

everyone from europoor countries have a noticable accent when they try to speak english tho

people dont just "lose" that, unless it was taught but if everyone is from europe the proper english accent should have been used

someone had to change that
>>
America was influence by Germans, Dutch, and Swedes and a small amount of Finns not just the U.K
>>
>>133121045

watching badly voice acted 18th century films starring americans doesnt equate to actual proof
>>
>>133121299
No, but countless linguistics studies does.
>>
>>133121045
>The American accent is actually closer to the 18th Century English accent than modern Bong is.
This.

You can tell by the fact that NA English accents actually pronounce the letters in a fucking word (excluding Boston and the South).

In British accents, you only pronounce like 'alf o' de le'ers in a word.
Which shows that it has decayed from an original more intact accent.
Which is what we have.
>>
>>133121196

all of those, especially germans sound nothing like that tho

maybe the finns, cause i remember when shia got trolled in finnland some natives there were speaking english and sounded american

you might be on to something

but they would still have to have been more influential than actual brits

all the leaders of the country were proper brits, they even wore those pretentious wigs for christ sakes
>>
why does every state have a unique accent? a serious study would be needed.
>>
>>133121299
>18th century films
?
>>
>>133121486
The entire midwest and rust belt sounds the same bro. Except Minnesota and the UP
>>
>>133121486
Yoopers: Influenced from Finnish diaspora accents.

Minnesota: Influenced by Swedish + Norwegian accents.

Louisiana: French accents.

Boston: Drunk Irish.
>>
>>133121437

i dont think so, Millie Brown and Emma Watson have perfectly qt accents and they enunciate

but they also still have those qt britishisms about it to make it noticable

that wouldnt be lost until they HEARD someone talking without those accents but even now, Emma who's been in the states alot still has a natural bongness, unless she forces american
>>
>>133121647
Mid-atlantic: English and Swedes
Appalachia: Scots-Irish
>>
but they where gone by 1783.
>>
>>133121045
>This what moronic burgers actually believe.

The reason for it is the pursuit of a more unique sounding accent. The mingling with many different European settlers. Just like how the Australian accent developed or do you think Australian English is closer to an 18th century accent.

The American accent changed mostly recently. Listen to how a witness of Lincoln's urder speaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SvKPACbx_U

Sounds like a cross between an English accent and an American accent.

You have to be deluded if you think American accents are older than English accents like mine which still incorporate Anglo Saxon pronunciation and words.
>>
>>133121836

the brits who displaced from brittan were still brits

everyone in australia still sound bongish
>>
>>133120729
Listen to a West Country accent then come back.
>>
>>133121437

>the South

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPfOL4wUuMU
>>
>>133121045
bad meme
this only refers to rhoticity; which is existent/non-existent in different accent regions on both sides of the atlantic. American accents are just naturally evolved mergers of British accents with a slight influence of continental pronunciation

>>133121647
almost none of Ireland is non-rhotic; what you're saying is nonsense based upon superficial concepts of migration patterns
>>
>>133121700
>i dont think so, Millie Brown and Emma Watson have perfectly qt accents and they enunciate
Those aren't their natural accents
That "snooty educated" accent is called "Received Pronunciation"

Few people are ever born sounding like that. It's a constructed accent. Like the accent that Americans had in movies in the 30s and 40s. The so called "Mid-Atlantic" accent. Bogie wasn't born sounding like he did.
>>
File: Original.jpg (26KB, 600x496px) Image search: [Google]
Original.jpg
26KB, 600x496px
>>133121299
>18th century films
>>
>>133122145

but again, they were taught just like everyone else in brittan or else where in the world

so someone had to come up with or start teaching the "american" way to talk and enunciate to where everyone talks like that without trying and then it becomes natural
>>
>>133122099
People pretending (and failing) to be something they're not for so long it became a part of them.
>>
>>133121919
>Sounds like a cross between an English accent and an American accent.
It does. Pretty neat
>>
we even change words like rubber band to Gum band in parts of the country.
>>
>>133122145
>nobody is born sounding like that
Nobody is born sounding like anything, you learn the language of your country and your accent. Nobody is born with an accent.
It is constructed though, created in the 1700s as a way for the aristocracy to differentiate themselves from the workers.
>>
>>133122411

literal nobody says that you fucking autistic flyover countrydweller
>>
>>133122323
>but again, they were taught just like everyone else in brittan or else where in the world
No, not really.

Everyone learns a "natural" accent from their parents and people around them as they grow up.

But there are also artificial accents that people learn to put on as adults. RP is one of those accents.
Get them shitfaced, and they'll begin to sound more like their "natural" accent.
>>
>>133122522
T. Southwest PA
>>
>>133122523

why do you want me to get MBB drunk, anon
>>
>>133122599

>basically west virginia
>>
The southern accent could be because of niggers the slave owners probably had to talk slow so nigs understood
>>
>>133122747
yep here in Fayette county nobody leaves so we just keep marrying distant cousins
>>
File: sm'ore.jpg (124KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
sm'ore.jpg
124KB, 1200x1200px
>>133121299
>18th century films
Bro, just do a 360 and walk away.
>>
>>133120729
You still hear vestiges of the English accent here in New England, especially Mainahs from Down East. Interestingly, the Mainer accent is very similar to the Australian accent (it just falls farther back in the mouth), and both were settled around the same time period. It's my opinion that both accents are time-capsuled vestiges of what the English accent sounded like during the late 17th and early 18th century.
>>
>>133120729
Because they are from all around the Yurop, dumb ass.
>>
File: 1486861410901.png (532KB, 518x584px) Image search: [Google]
1486861410901.png
532KB, 518x584px
>>133121061
Ramsy ? Or

>another thread on american accent episode
>>
>>133121045
Get off your high horse you fucking treenigger. Glorified cheesehead boonie squirrelfucker. Get the whole thumb in your ass talkin shit like that boi.

t. mid Michigan
>>
keep in mind the English brought Scots and Irish with them. plus even then the diffrent classes spoke differently.
>>
>>133120901
anon, the american accent is the one I speak with. Its a midwestern one. Hollywood then takes it and fucks with it. Basically Kansas, Mississippi, Illinois, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Ohio, etc. All around there, not on the edges of those outlier states.

A major, major impact on our language were dutch settlers.
>>
>>133123467

i already talked about finnland here fagt >>133121475
>>
>>133121919
But he was also raised in the theater setting so that most likely had an influence in his accent
>>
>>133123555
Stay under the Bridge, faggot troll. Get your fucking Trenary Toast at Whole Foods or whatever you lowlanders have.
>>
>>133123776

whole foods was just bought for like 11 billion by amazon
>>
>>133123007
>360
>>
>>133123346
Also, my grandfather spoke with a heavy Mainer accent, and my aunt has lived in England since she was 18. She told my dad that people from around the Gloucester area sounded a lot like grandpa and the old timers they grew up with
>>
>>133120729
people from engalnd where very specific group. and engaland accents have change din the past hudnresds years as well so both diverged form a base of something but withitn a very specifi geogrpahi poltical situation and group of peopeale..
>>
>>133124466
I see you still use the olde english written longform
>>
>>133124910
We have a New Gloucester nearby, it's the only way I've ever seen it spelled
>>
>>133120729
There are isolated pockets in this country that speak something damn close to the Queen's English. Mostly Appalachian.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.