[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Realistically, could robots cause an unemployment crisis

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

File: ajfs67s.jpg (14KB, 196x225px) Image search: [Google]
ajfs67s.jpg
14KB, 196x225px
Realistically, could robots cause an unemployment crisis in the near future?
>>
Of course.

It's going to happen.It's inevitable.
>>
Birth rates, globally aren't going down.
The price floor, or minimum wage prevents humans from competing with a wide range of jobs.
Robots are getting exponentially cheaper and able to do many more tasks.

Unless you terminate the price floor and manage birth/poplulation rates, an unemployment crisis is inevitable.
>>
>>132210385
Nope.
I work in the field (food packing robots) and we're a long way from replacing non-linear tasks.
See the DARPA Robotics challenge(s) fand the Amazon picking challenges for what 'state of the art' is. It sucks.
With computers, a lot of productivity gains came from code reuse, a culture of sharing, and Stallman et al spreading the good word of open source. None of that exists in robotics. It's all research work or closed source stuff from 'integrators' who make money doing the same pick and place work over and over and charging a shit ton.

The prices of robots have gotten cheaper though - about $30k and a few developer salaries will get you a basic packing bot - maybe $100k for palletization.

Automation progress is far outpaced by peoples imaginations and liberal projections of 'luxury automated communism'.
Back to dealing with the shit format that is ROS URDF modeling...
>>
>>132210385
We've got an unemployment crisis now. You don't need to add a mystical golem-like robot hypothetical to get there.
Maybe you meant your question metaphorically. Do you consider wetback border hoppers and arab visa overstays to be non-humans who resemble robots in some way?
>>132210959
>x is inevitable
Magical thinking.
>>132211181
>Robots are getting exponentially cheaper
Gonna need some proofs on that, chief.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.