[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

20 years ago the UK handed back Hong Kong Island and the New

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 7

File: chinky handover.jpg (126KB, 976x549px) Image search: [Google]
chinky handover.jpg
126KB, 976x549px
20 years ago the UK handed back Hong Kong Island and the New Territories to the Chinese. Technically the Island had been ceded to us after the opium wars and only the new territories had been leased for 99 years from 1898 but the colony as a whole wouldn't be viable if split in two and Commie China wanted the whole lot back...

Should the UK have done more? Could we have done more? One obvious move would have been to give HK dominion status and set it on the same path to independence as Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc... unfortunately as far back as 1958 Commie China threatened war if the UK granted any more democracy to HK so that wasn't an option. Ditto to just ignoring the lease expiring and holding out against the Chinese... given the location and the fact they controlled the water supply this would probably have been a non starter. Thankfully they went for a one country two systems approach and HK still has a lot of autonomy but China seems to be encroaching more on HK's freedoms now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNShSgfuQRI

(also TFW a legit job for a British person back then, not even born into Royalty, was to be appointed a Governor of a colony, the Queen's representative and basically in charge of running the place since the Chinese objected to it having democracy. Patten was the last true colonial Governor, I actually think parts of the world would be a better place if decolonisation didn't take place so quickly and people like him were running the show instead of say corrupt African leaders etc..)
>>
File: Patten daughters.jpg (107KB, 1050x712px) Image search: [Google]
Patten daughters.jpg
107KB, 1050x712px
also just as a thread save, as featured in the video in the OP, the last Governor had three very nice looking daughters...
>>
File: patten daughters 2.jpg (298KB, 1284x1390px) Image search: [Google]
patten daughters 2.jpg
298KB, 1284x1390px
>>132062304
>>
File: patten daughters 3.jpg (37KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
patten daughters 3.jpg
37KB, 640x425px
>>132062349
>>
You know what's the most annoying thing about this?

The mainland Chinese are such spineless little bootlickers that they will never raise their voice against this authoritarianism. You think White folk be cucked? We don't even compare to the Chinese drones.

Did you see Xi's speech? He literally threatened the people of Hong Kong to never challenge central government. He's hated there, and rather than trying to win them over, he fucking threatened them.

We need to start selling them opium again.
>>
you probably wouldve unironically won a war

consider the anglosphere and the wild incompetence of chinese militaries
>>
>>132062846
The Americans barely provided any assistance during the Falklands.

You really think they would have helped us in a war against CHINA for HONG KONG?
>>
File: local 2.jpg (261KB, 1979x1484px) Image search: [Google]
local 2.jpg
261KB, 1979x1484px
>>132062542
>We need to start selling them opium again.

haha

yeah mainland China seems to be well controlled, the HK population isn't afraid to protest though
>>
File: local 1.png (309KB, 630x346px) Image search: [Google]
local 1.png
309KB, 630x346px
>>132062846
I think that is unlikely, as mentioned already the easiest thing they could have done is simply to cut off the water supply to the whole colony and they threatened to do that. It doesn't matter that an individual soldier from the British army or Local Hong Kong Regiment would have been much better organised, equipped and trained than them it is the proximity to the rest of China, the sheer number of troops they could deploy and the distance away from the UK that would have made it impossible to defend if they wanted to attack/invade.
>>
>>132063152
Yep, I really respect the people of Hong Kong. They're in a horrible position though.

The only bright news is that the student movement in HK is really taking off.
>>
>>132063540
just gotta hope that with the prevalence of smart phones, social media etc.. that authoritarian regimes become less feasible

I mean HK before the handover wasn't a democracy, the population is mostly Chinese people and they were ruled over by a white guy sent there from a country the other side of the world yet plenty of them loved him. It shouldn't have word but it did simply because in spite of being a colony they were basically free people. On the other hand they get returned to their parent country, ruled by people from their own race and they're now worried. I do wonder if there would have been some way of making the place independent if we'd started early enough, HK today could have been a small city state like Singapore, perhaps if we'd had the foresight to demand a longer lease in the first place....
>>
>>132062542
you think lincoln spoke nicely with the south when they seceeded?
nope.jpeg
>>
File: democracy.jpg (328KB, 850x1130px) Image search: [Google]
democracy.jpg
328KB, 850x1130px
>>132062198
>Commie China threatened war if the UK granted any more democracy
nobody but dusty old jews wants democracy
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.