[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/pol/, what are the political implications of big data? Ever

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Too_smart_for_(you).png (58KB, 500x391px) Image search: [Google]
Too_smart_for_(you).png
58KB, 500x391px
/pol/, what are the political implications of big data? Every single day, more and more sensors are embedded into the real world, the internet of things grows by leaps and bounds, computing power keeps increasing and increasing, so what are we going to do with all this data? I'm currently watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIY3LUZ7i8Y
and the future seems destined to be driven by Big Data fed by millions and millions of sensors, powered by algorithms which utilize the flood of information on social media, real-time locations in smartphones, transactions, pictures, video, and more. I was thinking about going into medicine, but considering that automation and AI will make practicing as a clinician almost redundant, I'm thinking of becoming a data scientist.
>>
>>131856835
As a Data Scientist, there is a lot of money in the field.

$$$ feels good man
>>
>>131856930
How to in2datascience? Nothing particularly insightful showing up from a simple Google search, but I was thinking of taking an undergrad in applied math, and possibly a masters in applied math/data science if I can find a decent program. Also have heard recommendations to learn SQL, Hadoop, Python, and C/C++

Also, what are your thoughts on machine learning/deep learning? I saw the news about AlphaGo, and people meme about self-driving cars all the time, but where are we actually at wrt those things? What are people planning to do with all this data? Should I be upping my opsec?
>>
>>131857133
Bump, c'mon /pol/, the world is becoming ever more interconnected, do you all have nothing to say?
>>
>>131856835
It's only capable of being analyzed by a machine learning type AI.

This AI relies on the data to be uncorrupted, i.e. they must be able.to accept the data at fave value.

In other worda any machine learning AI is vulnerable to shit data.

If only there were a place on the internet that was capable of generating a massive amount of shit data, or shit posts?

tl;dr big data is mirage for the elites (as is their surveillance systems), /pol/ will hijack their own system and turn it against them simply by shitposting.
>>
>>131859199
Yeah, I know shitposting will be able to disrupt social media/Twitter information, but even other information like GPS location in smartphones being integrated into a self-driving vehicle network, or CCTV video footage being used to create visualizations of human movement through a city, or industrial data being used to optimize efficiency will have some kind of effect, no? Not to mention the people who willingly purchase and activate Internet of Things type of technology which also sends a continuous stream of data to big companies, and god only knows what companies will do with that info.
>>
File: 07823.jpg (86KB, 640x453px) Image search: [Google]
07823.jpg
86KB, 640x453px
>>131858554
Why are you discussing politics on /pol/? Get the fuck out. This is a roleplaying forum. Seriously, this place is shit. You would literally be banned on 8pol for making this thread. They don't allow anything that isn't reinforcing some stupid agenda they're trying to push at the time.

Big data will inevitable result in the complete and utter loss of freedoms. For all of history, the level of control of a populace wasn't dependant on the rules or regulations but the capabilities of the ruling party. We're entering an era where every bit of data will be able to be captured. There will probably be systems designed to monitor and predict the actions of people. The only interesting thing is that it's unknown whether it will be government or corporate control since social media has shown that mass surveillance capabilities aren't unique to governments.

Closed source software in all your devices is nothing but a liability when your operating system can literally send whatever it wants out without any easy way to monitor it. The revelations about Intel management engine has made many people question whether all modern processors have the ability to perform partitioned actions that are utterly undectible. It won't be long until it's just explicit government regulation to force all computer manufacturers (particularly smartphone manufacturers) to allow open backdoors for monitoring. And people will celebrate it because it will come as some convenience.
>>
>>131859556
It is all a double edged sword. For sure there are risks, but I would argue the risks are much greater for those at the top than those at the bottom. History has shown us that you don't need big data to brutally oppress your subjects.
>>
>>131860169
95. It is said that we live in a free society because we have a certain number of constitutionally guaranteed rights. But these are not as important as they seem. The degree of personal freedom that exists in a society is determined more by the economic and technological structure of the society than by its laws or its form of government. [16] Most of the Indian nations of New England were monarchies, and many of the cities of the Italian Renaissance were controlled by dictators. But in reading about these societies one gets the impression that they allowed far more personal freedom than out society does. In part this was because they lacked efficient mechanisms for enforcing the ruler's will: There were no modern, well-organized police forces, no rapid long-distance communications, no surveillance cameras, no dossiers of information about the lives of average citizens. Hence it was relatively easy to evade control
>>
>>131859987
Yeah, what do you figure the odds are that governments already have backdoor access to everything? I'd guess that the existential threat of terrorists/extremists will be used as a justification for people to give up more and more of their privacy and further the construction of the Crystal Palace. The normies will cheer as they lock themselves in chains. Since it is coming anyways though, how do I get 300K starting by studying math?
>>
>>131860360
The same technology that facilitates oppression also facilitates resistance.

A single insider can gather and leak the entirety of a power structures most valued plans/data.

Instant communication can facilitate spontaneous organized resistance.

Every data collection device can be hijacked and used against its master.
>>
>>131857133
Creating specialized(or applying) AI, especially deep learning, will be considered the new calculus.

Learn everything about it. Then learn biological modeling, especially in regards to models of the brain.

The public AI shit is very crude, and doesn't truly resemble an intelligent brain. The more you know about the brain, the more closely you can mathematically model it.

From specialized AI, you will be able to learn what general AI really is.

I'll give you an interesting piece of info:
The brain does not work in absolutes, but instead only in approximations. "Idiot savants" have brains that work closer to absolutes, at the compromise of there general intelligence or some aspect of functioning.

>>131860477
Learn more cybersecurity m8. Everything has been backdoored for years, anyone with enough skill to prove it is usually mature enough to understand why they're there.
>>
>>131860820
In any system there is a chance to break it. The problem is that for every single piece of mass surveillance that monitors average people, there will still be some that are able to circumvent this and break the law.

The problem is that average people will essentially live without freedom even if an increasingly smaller number of people are able to circumvent it.

The gap of freedom is on a trend of getting smaller and smaller as technology gets better and better and it's not slowing down. Just look at how many people are in prison in the developed world. These systems are only getting better.
>>
>>131861641
I would argue that this phenomenon is a function of technology and cyclical factors. Things get worse until too many people are directly affected negatively, and then the technology is used against the power structure, and the cycle begins anew.

Right now things seem dire because we haven't reached the tipping point.
>>
File: 14200714735114.png (36KB, 672x335px) Image search: [Google]
14200714735114.png
36KB, 672x335px
>>131859987
Speaking of getting banned.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.