[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a tutorial for any camera operator at a rally, protest,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 8

File: visar-kryeziu_kosovo-riots.jpg (251KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
visar-kryeziu_kosovo-riots.jpg
251KB, 600x399px
This is a tutorial for any camera operator at a rally, protest, or habbening. These are just some thoughts and guidelines. I dont care about your agenda; this concerns your objective.

Picking up a camera and documenting something is a sacred american skill set and a debt to those not present. You owe i to yourself and your potential Clients (users/receivers of your product) to do the best job recording.

I'm just another fag here, but i have a depth of useful experience in this regard. if something i say sounds off or wrong or unclear, confront me like a gentlemen.
>>
Equipment

Device
>small
>mobile
>robust

Media
>large capacity
>redundant

Power Source
>rule of 3s
>backup is equal to main supply, not "in addition to"

If you don't know how cameras in all their many forms work, this is not for you. Phones are perfectly suitable. What is more, they have on board transmitting and other useful functions like detecting signals and such. But the best quality footage still comes from purpose built devices. Glass is everything when it comes to clarity of capture. By definition stock lenses are lowest of the high at best. Two hands on the camera makes for clean shooting, but one handing will happen so bear this in mind.
>>
Methodology

Targets
>who are you shooting
>what activities are you seeking
>what footage do you need
>what footage do you want
>what are you willing to risk to get It

Topography
>where are you walking
>where is the closest safe haven
>where are allies in relation to you
>where are the cops
>knowing the difference between cover and concealment

Social Climate
>how will bystanders and lookieloos act in any given situation
>is skin color/language/identity a factor
>who are the belligerents
>who are the most likely violent
>can you interact with paupers and presidents

Weather
>what are you wearing
>how is your EDC organized
>how quickly can you adapt to dynamic climactic niggory-diggory
>>
fpbp
>>
>>131731718
Methodology Notes

>Make a plan because a plan is what you will make

Don't just wander around and talk to people. Move about with eye contact and no talking. smile, nod, exude positivity and solidarity. let nothing get between you and your schedule. pick a drop off, general route, and rally point. don't worry if it all goes to shit, just go through the trouble of thinking about it in an organized manner. Operate with s few support staff as you can. if you are with a team, identify positions and responsibilities and stick to the plan. do not have emotional asides our technical discussions on camera. do not engage verbally unless you are in survival mode or addressing law enforcement. share no opinion. take no side. just keep it steady and keep it rolling.

do not wear positioning icons, patches, slogans, brands, or distinctive styles. the operator is an extension of the camera. everyone should look at you but no one should see you.
>>
Shooting

>omfg stop shaking

tough titties. shit is gonna shimmy. but learning a few techniques will reduce your shakey cam and increase your second count*.

>two fucking hands faggot
Hold the cam like a cup of 3/4 filled coffee. dont be a pussy, but be gentle. sweep left and right gradually, even if you just heard an antifag head split open. good panning = great footage. you are not just documenting the action. you are gather ing data that can be reviewed by , , and . Fundamentally, every camera operator is a source. good sources yield clean and clear data.

>shooting line up
Swoop in on people. pic a person go in to ECU (extra close up) then pull back slowly to a nice portrait shot. put your subject on the left or right. only dead center them if they compel that kind of shot by ranting, crying, getting owned, etc. When framing a shot, you should be able to count three of everything: lighting, lines, subjects, perspectives. not every shot does this, but every good one does. when filming action, back up and get up and use a sweeping motion if the action exceeds the width of your frame. for arguments, get in close and bounce between a 2 Shot (2 heads in frame) and a Close Up. if you are pulling your own focus, keep it loosey goosey. if it is on Auto, remember to pick an object in frame that lines up with your subject and tap or touch or what have you.

*in the film industry, a 10:1 ratio (9 wasted, 1 gained) for minutes of usable footage is excellent. many are much higher, what with the digital revolution
>>
the fuck is this gay shit. this isn't politics. we don't need wanna be Kubricks out there faggot, we'll need people fighting
>>
Shooting technique

>focus, frame, narrative
Where your focus lands is where clients watch. focus can follow voice, action, or environment. knowing where you focus means your framing is going to be better. framing tells the story of the moment. good frames are what ebbin wins are made of. come what may in terms of pixel degradation, moldylocks will continue to be BTFO because the framing was perfect. stringing together frames in post will shape the narrative. in the editing bay, typically, you can always darken but never brighten. likewise, you cannot show what you do not shoot.

>what's your favorite posish, thats cool with me its not my favorite but ill shoot it for you
Identify the high ground. cameras are a lot like guns, but as a weapon system (and they are), they are unique in that they are a direct and indirect weapons platform (bullet v. artillery). your best footage may come from a pan, so always try to sweep gradually, regardless of the motivation. even bombs and gunfire... sometimes what you capture will be more useful than the reason you panned to it.

>focus on the mission
Dont talk, chat, argue, discuss, or dither while shooting. dont explain yourself or you affiliations. always work to find the frame. only talk to law enforcement, EMTs, or interview subjects
>>
File: IMG_1981.jpg (114KB, 703x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1981.jpg
114KB, 703x1024px
>>131730667

Good effort, bampu
>>
File: 1498146720496.jpg (64KB, 460x613px) Image search: [Google]
1498146720496.jpg
64KB, 460x613px
>>131734333
>inserts photo blog into /pol/ thread

u wot m8

blood and souls for my Lord Arioch !
>>
Interviews

>let them eat kek
the best wins happen when the shooter just lets the subject babble. dont interject, respond, or debate. if they pick a path, urge them to walk down it. they will change the subject as needed. if you are fishing for gotchas, set ups, or verbal gets, tailor your report to the subject. blacks like affirmation, whites like nods, women like agreement, the angry want to by unimpeded. the dangerous are quiet. only goad for the motherload, otherwise, just keep hunting. dont push people to share. idiots always find the camera.

>play the idiot
never ever ever ever fucking ever correct a subject unless you want aggression. dont explain anything. do not, under any circumstance, educate the subject on anything relevant.

>tabula rasa
dont share personal info. dont cheer or boo. don't address the viewers unless it is integral to understand what they are seeing. dont advocate or accuse any of your subjects. a good camera operator becomes a part of the scenery. dont answer questions about your footage or goals.

>film it
film everything. dont stop rolling. catch it all, it is just binary anyway. carry enough media to over shoot like 8 bitches on a bitch boat.

>diversity is stronger
lol, the exception proves the rule. the footage you capture will be cut up and applied as needed. evry director i have ever worked for wants one thing above all else: Options. regardless of who the editor(s) and producer(s) are, options are gold.
>>
are there any gwestions or goncerns i can address? i know this is not a popular topic, but i think we can all admit that good footage is a great thing to have...
>>
>tfw you bring your offering of substance to /pol/ and no one gibs a fugg
>>
I'll give you a bumperino
>>
>>131736538
i thank thee
>>
>>131730667
This is common sense , but I shoot film and have been doing so for over 11 years

I used to develop my own film
>>
A Note on Clothing

>dress for success
know the job, know the target. dress to be capable, not fashionable. at the same time, wear good gear. you are going to be mixing with the press corps. something funny i once heard was when you are in a foreign country and you plow a lass, you are farming for your country, so act accordingly. regardless of whether you are representing an outlet, a company, a confederation, or your own show, you are a content janitor, not a participant.

>the difference between a ranger and a contractor is paycheck and freedom.
the MSM and the big money lads are the rank and file. they got rules and regs. you are a contractor. you have no allegiance but to the Client. dress appropriately. i cannot stress enough how important it is to look trustworthy. looking the part is a huge factor in mission success.

>shill time
REI. Condor for the poor. buy gear that can be taped. look at what people are wearing that are doing the same job. good operators wear a uniform unintentionally. under armour, columbia, salomon. north face. PFG. good guys have good gear.
>>
>>131735132
This is all really excellent advice actually, the moldilocks comment was a bit chilling having read the conspiracies those (((battles))) were all staged and then a professional says it was a perfect shot by their standards.

Bit off topic question but are there any types of special colored lenses or physical filters/methods used to pick up or check for something that normally wouldnt be caught on film or seen by the naked eye? Like how interior designers sometimes use difraction glasses to see lighting effects in a more advanced perspective than the normal eye couldnt.
>>
How do you feel when you see a photo of 1 or 2 protestors burning something at the same time being surrounded by 30 "freelancers"
tbqh I find it disgusting and impossible to justify. Most of the people who would implement your guide are clueless about what their real political impact is.
>>
Active shooter/habbening

>omg like they're shooting
most habbebing documentation is done without any preparation. there is an amazing 9/11 doc shot by 2 french cinematographers. they had the cameras and the capability to capture the habbs like no one else. most times though, it will be like bataclan, manchester, or berkley. you will be limited on resources and only useful based on proximity. no shooting plan, no agenda. what to do? hide like a bitch i guess. but if you get the itch, and you wanna periscope for the senpai, remember to go horizontal, hold the phone like a 3/4 full cup of fire hot coffee, and pan slow. husband your battery. hold steady friendo.

>i just happen to have a gun. huh.
never show your power level unless there is no other way.

>you are now CSI baby
you are collecting evidence. act accordingly
>>
File: 1111_vietnam01-1-1000x735.jpg (113KB, 1000x735px) Image search: [Google]
1111_vietnam01-1-1000x735.jpg
113KB, 1000x735px
>>131734789
>a fucking leaf
>>
>>131738253
>staged
i plead the fif

>lens refraction, signal in signal, and gaffer glass
digital cameras capture data based on their technical capabilities. point a tv remote at a cell phone camera and you will see the emitter pulse. as i said earlier, smart phones are sensor suites. their detection capability is a hidden hack in modern life. if you really wanna capture intersectional data (SIGINT + MASINT), find a nerd and start talking signal detection and field theory. in terms of analog, i am not versed enough to give an opinion. i will say that Kubrick developed a .9 lens that NASA fell in love with. light is a tricky mistress.

>>131738309
>how muh feels
i don't. a job is a job. if everyone is shooting one thing, shoot them or their surroundings. certain events like blood, fire, and mobs are best captured in context and up close.

>clueless shooters
GOOD. until i can build a swarm of docubots, i would prefer most filmographers were clueless about the wider narrative and instead used strong protocols to capture worthwhile data
>>
>>131738334
>tfw you remember that french anon who would show up in 9/11 threads with ultra rares no one else had ever posted before.
>>
>>131738770
https://www.amazon.com/Art-Intelligence-Lessons-Clandestine-Service/dp/0143123378/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498723504&sr=8-1&keywords=henry+crumpton

this book documents the real conspiracy behind 9/11: good intel going to waste because of a political narrative

i actually have that doc on dvd somewhere. it is amazing
>>
>>131738696
Thank you for the reply, what are your thoughts on uses for different exposure rates?
One more weird question, is it possible to create anaglyph 3D style effects just using lighting effects and angles alone? Like no post production layering tricks
>>
>>131738696
You obviously care about something, otherwise you would not be making this guide.
I guess what I'm most confused about is how you pretend to care about helping others by writing this guide, but immediately avoid responsibility when a meaningful issue pops up. The issue for your fucking larp guide to deal with is how "citizen journalists" should act when they OUTNUMBER the protestors they are paid to film.
Maybe you guide could offer some wisdom here? or are you going to avoid that responsibility?
>>
File: 1488099244695.webm (595KB, 920x613px) Image search: [Google]
1488099244695.webm
595KB, 920x613px
>>131738924
Interesting
This clip makes me lose my mind everytime
>>
File: 1488099304180.webm (425KB, 920x615px) Image search: [Google]
1488099304180.webm
425KB, 920x615px
>>131739702
>>
File: 1498441277011.jpg (90KB, 625x619px) Image search: [Google]
1498441277011.jpg
90KB, 625x619px
>>131731718

>knowing the difference between cover and concealment

Fucking kek, but unironically good advice. As long as you dress casually, a protesting crowd can be a good place for not attracting attention from roaming nog loot squads, but it's not going to do jack shit for cover if the cops show up with gas.

>Swoop in on people. pic a person go in to ECU (extra close up) then pull back slowly to a nice portrait shot

Holy fuck for what purpose?
>>
>>131739312
>exposure
i am a cretin. i use auto light detect and i paint with the other guys on a multicam job. higher exposure means more light, obviously, but more capture of good pixels in a high frame rate situation. there are tons of shooter guides and literature on exposure out there. my opinion is the least of them

>3D stuffs
short answer: yes. long answer: start googling about Practical Effects. one example: cob webs in old horror movies. used to be accomplished by putting a pinhole in a can of rubber cement and attaching it to a lasko desktop fan. in camera, or practcal effects have a long standing history. capturing light effects our eyes see is tricky. a camera is select pieces of the eye and brain. what we adjust for naturally must be manipulated or programmed into a camera.

>caring
i could think of 14 things i care about, but when i am shooting it is usually 3. the guide is because i exhaustively watch raw capture and i want better source material.

>meaningful issue
When you see them swarm, blow off shots of them and their shillery, then keep moving. capture the event, but dont over shoot it. unless it is a self immolation or suicide bombing, your 1 of 30 alternate angle will have little value past a few seconds.

you gotta have a shooting plan, a list of what you want to capture. then you stick to it. like poker, once you commit chips you treat them as lost regardless. if you miss Shia getting raped, oh well. just keep shooting.

i once worked with a crew that had OG Survivor shooters and Real World guys. these guys had seen it all. they were quiet, collected, and always looking for the next frame.
>>
>>131735991
nah it's pretty solid

Act like you belong is important, ie eye contact ect ect
>>
>>131739930
swooping in is a practical effect. it creates urgency in the viewer. swooping in then settling back is a good way to establish a scene.

>>131740052
social engineering continues to be the most valuable skillset across all professions and it cannot really be taught. good demeanor and a well thought out wardrobe are prerequisites for Access.
>>
>>131740052

>eye contact ect ect

habbening crowds are odd like that, it's not like a concert where most people are busy in the moment with themselves/their friends, people look around at each other a lot. So long as you look semi-solemn/like you're doing something important/for the cause, you're good, but you gotta be careful not to stare either.
>>
File: 1498019367036.png (390KB, 531x715px) Image search: [Google]
1498019367036.png
390KB, 531x715px
>>131740216

>swooping in then settling back is a good way to establish a scene.

Depends on the person quite a bit though. A fair few people at happenings are attention whores, in which case it works, but you need to eyeball the person first to make sure. Swooping in close to someone and putting a camera in their face is a really good way to get some people to tell you to fuck off.
>>
>>131740362
People will act different when they know theyre being filmed as well, it effects them on a subconcious level to a degree.
>>
>>131740362
true, but the camera is a different type of eye. the stare rules are exaggerated: either not at all or if you do you better not stop.

this might be a good time to state that there are times to put the camera down. your life matters and even an unpointed camera can capture the truth. think like a fox, not like a wolf.
>>
>>131740011
>i once worked with a crew that had OG Survivor shooters and Real World guys. these guys had seen it all. they were quiet, collected, and always looking for the next frame.
This is your problem. I have heard the same stories from the old-timers too. The problem is adapting their methodology as doctrine for a completely new generation of politics and media. I can smell the boomer inside of you, how old are you? I bet you are damn near boomer age.
>you gotta have a shooting plan
You are pretending to be unbiased, making this democratic guide, but then identify yourself as the purest form of media shill. You have your shooting agenda so you can sell it to asshole boomers who keep fucking the country up. You stupid guide is just more boomer philosophy that needs to die.
Here's my solution, don't go to the fucking protest. Coordinate with other journalists/videog/ect to form networks of politically similar objectives. Stop pretending to be unbiased. Be smart enough to respect and acknowledge the responsibility of propaganda.
>>
>>131740584

I know, just expanding so anyone reading doesn't end up like those /k/ommandos in Minneapolis
>>
>>131740581
reading a crowd is beyond my skill to teach. everything you say is correct

>>131740587
>age
30. my dad's a boomer. i did work for money though so fuck me, right Che?

>agenda
i will take merc to revolutionary any day, but i get called a fascist enough that that is ok by me

>coordinate for propaganda
2 points: our lack of coordination is a strength. believe me. nothing i have said violates that idea. in fact, doing what i say, better yet taking it and adapting it, will create better raw material for propaganda purposes.

I fucking worship digital capture. im an autist bruv. you guys are all props to me. i just want good frames
>>
>>131730667
I live within reasonable distance to Berkeley and have been thinking of filming the next happening, what would anon be interested in seeing? What should I call my youtube channel (or should I post it elsewhere)? What gear do you recommend for filming?
>>
>>131740587
>doesnt see the value in having better quality raw data openly distributed
You realize most msm stories only work when they have a monopoly on the footage right? Scroll up in the thread the fabrication of a second plane proves my point entirely
>>
>>131740941
your proximity to berkley is irrelevant.

everyone wants to see The Action.

find a patsy to post for you on YouTube. you are contributing to IC databases when you upload there, so act accordingly.

get gear you know how to use and abuse. ignore haters and seek out conversion rates, necessary codecs, and compression tolerances in regards to types of media. carry the camera that gives you consistently good footage. im spoiled, my job for a long time was playing with cameras. i know getting different models in hand is tricky. but every digital camera you will interact with, for now anyways, operates under the same principles. the variation in quality and reliability comes down to parts used. consider the fact that the difference in quality between films in the 50s, 60s, and 70s was determined by film processing, not a change in hardware. I like the R3D line up, but i am comfortable on any phone. sall bout dem pixuhs
>>
Shot camera people first. Worse than journalists
>>
>>131741340
you are why i have picatinny gopro mounts
>>
>>131740941
another note:

>digital dead drops
go to coffee shop and charm your way onto a laptop, and upload webMs and such right here at the forth channel on adultGIF or wherever. use a public library (wear a hat and cover the compy cam if present).

brah, if you want to become a youtube personality or any other form of jewery, i got nothing for you. i left film because i got tired of carrying (((their))) water. i just wanna make movies, i dont want shekels. so now i am studying to be a historian. capturing footage well is a skill set that rivals anything you can learn at college.
>>
Seriously there is nothing worse than a cameraman with no fucking intelligence. This thread is pathetic only because it's confused about it's core philosophy. Straighten out what you actually want for society before you start fucking it all up under the guise of free press. You're just expanding the stupidity with a TMZ method of "news gathering".

make friends with the YPG or the Shia PMUs if you want to film something important you fucking larps. Syria is the place to be a tough guy with a camera.
>>
>>131741772
you're not a shill walter, you're just an asshole
>>
>>131741276
I think my proximity to Bezerkley is totally relevant, because that's where we can reliably predict The Action. Because something will probably happen I think it would be a good investment for me. Unless you mean for some other reason?
>>
>>131742139
you do you an0n

there is no investment advice in any of my posts.

police departments don't like to deal with predictable surprises. unless The Game begins in NorCal, regional LEOs will keep a tight lid on protests. remember, protests=/=habbenings
>>
>>131741729
I definitely don't want to be a personality but I do want our side to be able to trust me. Last Berk happening I saw some our people getting super agitated about cameras, even when pointed towards the ((enemy)). Basically I just don't want to get my ass stomped out when someone thinks I'm CNN or some shit
>>
>>131741844
BTW, because I want to correct the mistakes you've written.
>blending in all the time, staying unattached to anyone or group
This is the best way to be hated by all groups within a matter of months. You will build up no networks of trust, no meaningful sources and you'll be forced to look elsewhere for income.
Pick a fucking side and ally with them, you're not spider jerusalem.
>>
>>131742429
that is part of the game man. ive been roughed up, beat up, arrested, detained, etc. you gotta just move. i dont know how else to put it.

>>131742493
i guess i am just old or something, but anyone at a protest or habbening is not who i am generally looking to liaise with. i am there to capture footage. if i am there for any other reason this tutorial is kaput. if you are trying to put together RWDS support groups then look for me in a crowd and stay ten feet behind me.
>>
>>131741431
Niggers like you deserve to be killed on sight
>throws stone
>takes pictures
>"muahh officor iam press nuahh"
>>
>>131742493
The trick is being able to be trusted by both.
>>
>>131742763
No one should trust them. I suggest looking through Ruptly videos and observe the canon niggers. They are cancer, trying to use their, muahhh documenting the scene to help their group. Really, the first thing on a protest one should do is get the cameras and smash them, beating the guy who carried them to shit.
>>
>>131742954
found the antifa jew
>>
>>131743017
Opposite NIGGER. After the "find bike lock OP" I know it should be
KILL ALL CAMERA DUDES
>>
So if you are not able to clean your """"profession"""" from dirty bastards using the camera as shield, you should ALL be hung
>>
Dox antifa camera guys and one might overthink it, but for now
Kys
>>
>>131743124

Nah. Get their medics. Let the cameras show what happens to Marxist scum and sympathizers.

Death to antifa.
>>
>>131743555
>get their medics
Agree, but right after those, camera people
>>
Someone experienced screencap this please.
>>
>>131745940
>>
>>131730667
babby's first exam in film school went well I see
>>
>>131734333
just wanted to point out that the first photo is funny but the second photo is fucking hilarious
>>
>>131730667
lol get out you're that fag from /p/ that always posts his uninspiring shit.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.