[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been trying to research this but I can't find

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

I've been trying to research this but I can't find an answer anywhere.

So Flint had lead pipes, which delivered safe water until the city switched its source to the Flint river. The river water was not treated properly, and thus the lead pipes began to erode and lead seeped into the water supply.

What I don't get is that they switched their source to Lake Huron, but they're still replacing the pipes? Why? Wouldn't properly treated water be just as safe as before? Why are the pipes still leaching lead?
>>
>>131244595
If there's anything acidic in the water it will ionically bind to lead and create an extremely water soluble water molecule.

For example, acetic acid coming into contact with lead produces lead acetate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead(II)_acetate

Just read that wiki and wonder how the fuck everyone in flint isn't a retarded dead criminal.
>>
>>131244595
Literally because too many niggers were hurting the city financially so they started making short-cuts. Look into it.
>>
Nigger government took over and switched intakes to a smaller area because independence n sheeit. New source ph eroded lining of old pipes exposing the lead outer shell. They can chanve back water supply all they want those pipes still have exposed lead in contact with the water. TL;DR nigger city government got voted in and started making decisions and the predictable outcome occured.
>>
SSHHHHIIIIIIIIIEETTTTTTT
>>
>>131244595
>What I don't get is that they switched their source to Lake Huron, but they're still replacing the pipes?

The publicity, and nobody really wants lead. I think copper or PVC are the preferred building materials for clean water plumbing.
>>
>>131244880

Oh, so the lead pipes had a non-lead lining that's been eroded? I thought it was just that most water sources didn't react with the lead, but that makes sense.

I'm surprised this has never happened before, where one screwup causes a city's entire water system to need replacement.
>>
>>131245137
All i know is the new source was a much smaller area thus more varying ph etc (they used to draw from the great lakes but decided to start pulling water from more local sources) and it fucked up the pipes via chemistry that is way beyond my knowledge. Erosion or chemical bonds with the lead on the pipes, something along those lines.
>>
File: Cutting.jpg (60KB, 196x194px) Image search: [Google]
Cutting.jpg
60KB, 196x194px
>>131245363
>All i know is

Um, no. Flint water was sourced via Detroit River suppliers, until that city became a ghost town, and greedy pols raised the prices of every city service to gouge-levels to mitigate their stupidity in forcing their tax base to leave town. So, Flint's then-mayor made a sweetheart deal with a Huron water supplier (of which he happened to sit on the board) because it would save Flint money in the long run, and he had never heard of 'conflict of interest.' Unfortunately, he also didn't know the Detroit water was chemically treated to safely prevent lead oxidation, and that the Huron company hadn't contracted to use any in the proposed new Saginaw River supply, so ...

The entire infrastructure was rekT on day one by the ignorance and apathy of a LOT of overpaid fuckups.
>>
The city cheaped out, it would of cost only $140/day for the chemical to use to keep the lead pipes safely after switching water suppliers. The lead pipes worked for well over 50 years and would of continued to last that long again. Now they all have to be replaced as far as I know. Very expensive and extremely time consuming.
>>
File: 1463846173007.jpg (24KB, 303x566px) Image search: [Google]
1463846173007.jpg
24KB, 303x566px
>>131244595
Lead has been proven safe for pipes retard, thats why it was used in the first place. it doesnt leech into water supply because it can't become aqueous. embarrassing!
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.