[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I come from a Deep Southern family, and at least one of my ancestors

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: Andrew Johnson.jpg (41KB, 469x300px) Image search: [Google]
Andrew Johnson.jpg
41KB, 469x300px
I come from a Deep Southern family, and at least one of my ancestors is believed to have died serving in the Confederate Army. I do not like Yankees, but I am sympathetic to Southern Unionists. If we had a right to secede from the USA, didn't east TN and West Virginia have a similar right to secede from the Confederacy? The people who lived there saw the Confederate government as just as foreign and oppressive as we see the Yankees.
>>
I had an ancestor who served in the Union Army from East TN. More interestingly though some of my ancestors were southern unionists from West TN. The particular counties my ancestors were from had high amounts of unionists despite West TN being mostly Confederate. I'm almost done reading a book about my great-great-great grandfather and great-great uncle's Union regiment from West TN. It's a really wild story and adds a dynamic I didn't know about from the war. It'd make a great movie.
>>
>>131022714
Do you think the Southern Unionism was morally justifiable? What is the proper unit of self-determination?
>>
>>131022972
The common theme of my ancestors were they were all poor white farmers with no slaves who had grandfathers as Revolutionary War heroes and some with fathers who served in 1812. I imagine perhaps with a deep connection to the union and seeing the Confederate war effort as being mostly for rich plantation owners they felt nothing for the secessionist cause. Was it morally justifiable? I guess depends on how you view the war. They definitely thought it was. Personally I think the states had the right to secede just like my ancestors had the right to believe the state was better off with the union than without. Tennessee was definitely one of the most divided southern states so the family stories are interesting.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.