[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Religions - It's all very simple. Religion is superstition

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: cathe.jpg (117KB, 630x465px) Image search: [Google]
cathe.jpg
117KB, 630x465px
Religions - It's all very simple.

Religion is superstition and superstition is a survival instinct we developed through evolution. Superstitious people would be afraid to venture into the dark forest where there were "monsters" (predators). This way they would survive and bring their superstitious genes into the future.

It's the exact same thing as children being AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Religion is our survival instinct 'out of control'.
>>
Threadly reminder that an omnipotent being, by definition, can cause you to disbelieve the fact of its existence.
>>
>>130475111

Religion =/= superstition

Fuck off reddit
>>
>>130475111
>Stupid fedora
You have to go back
>>
>>130475111
Religion was used as a means of population control by appealing to peoples inherent fear of the unknown to convince them to act nicely in a manner that promotes social equity.
It also created a non-familiar based community which lowers intra-group hostility and competitiveness and encourages cooperation. It also promotes alliances with other communities of the faithful and organised religious orders allow for non-political third parties to broker agreements/deals.
It also typically limits the number of sexual partners a person can have allowing the lower status people a better chance to breed.
It introduce restrictions on acts which are dangerous(eating shellfish and pork was a big gamble before refrigeration) and creates customs to enforce them(not eating red meat on a Friday helped increase fish consumption).
It creates a legacy system for the culture of the community so people are compelled to start thinking long term about projects like building cathedrals and bridges and not just thinking short term. Also preserving the records and history of a tribe or culture(admittedly through a religious/biased perspective).

Religion basically kept things ticking along for thousands of years through institutional order and control to prevent he human animal from eating and force fucking itself to death.
>>
>>130475111
didn't Jesus say, He who is like a child is the Greatest in his kingdom.. Also Your Bigbang magical fairy pixie dust created everything theory, and fake evolution, hold no weigh here.
>>
>>130475111
Religion is for the brainlets who are too stupid to understand philosophy, they need fairy tales to learn basic morality, and the promise of a happy ending so that they don't become nihilistic zombies.
>>
>>130475111
>Denying the uniqueness of consciousness and the implications of its mere existence
>Holier-than-thou attitude because he's come to a conclusion that millions of others have
Wow anon, you really have it all figured out, huh?
>>
>>130480450
>Denying the uniqueness of consciousness

How is it unique? Most animals have some form of consciousness. It's just the function of the brain, like the kidneys clean out waste products. It just feels 'unique' because we are 'living' in our consciousness.

>Holier-than-thou attitude because he's come to a conclusion that millions of others have

I did actually come up with it myself (but yeah, there must be others).
>>
>>130477374

yes, that's PART II
>>
Consider the following:

You like and dislike things, so good and evil exist. Some things are better and worse than others, so there is a best and worst thing. Now, the best thing is called God and the worst is called the Devil. Pick your side brother.
>>
>>130475111
Go wander around in the dark forest then. I'm sure it's fun
>>
>>130482080
The way I see it pre-birth and post-death states are identical. The problem arises when people view birth and death as a beginning and an end rather than two sides of the same coin. Does life occur suddenly out of an infinite death state only to go back into such a state for eternity? Or is birth/death a transformation from one state of consciousness to another?

We'll never truly know, but why/how would we be brought out of "non-existence" to simply be thrown back into it?

Dismissing outright the possibility of a kind of "life after death" to me closes a lot of doors and is intellectually confining. Make no mistake, organized religion is mostly dogshit but it has its societal benefits
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.