[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why did liberals shut down the Yucca Mountain project? What

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: yucca.jpg (295KB, 1154x900px) Image search: [Google]
yucca.jpg
295KB, 1154x900px
why did liberals shut down the Yucca Mountain project? What was the problem?
>>
The what?
>>
File: 1401454698601.jpg (30KB, 316x202px) Image search: [Google]
1401454698601.jpg
30KB, 316x202px
>>130168412

>liberals

Found your problem. A bunch of tree hugging faggots decided they didn't want the most secure nuclear waste storage facility in the world to actually be used (after it was built). So now nuclear waste is stored on site at reactors across the nation. They'll run out of room eventually. Not to mention it's less secure.

Fucking liberals ruin everything. We're still stuck with reactors designed in the fucking 50's for fucks sake.
>>
They were screaming MUH WATER SUPPLY, even though it's in a fucking desert and it would be stored 1000 feet above the water table
>>
>>130170064

Not to mention the facility is built specifically to contain any leaks. And that they're stored in fucking vaults.
>>
>>130168926
This is the corrrect answer, except those people are not liberals, they are leftists.

Lefties don't /intologic/ much. They don't understand that nuclear waste is still generated whether or not it is stored in Yucca Mountain. It is kind of like with the Keystone Pipleline. They think if they stop the pipeline that the oil will not be extracted and burned.
>>
>>130170414

Fucking emotional parasites.
>>
>>130168412
I live in Nevada and I want it.
It creates jobs and the gobberment should just pay us. We have a huge empty inhabitable space, just put it there -- who gives a fuck.
>>
>>130170414
The funniest part is, if they had let people continue to develop this shit over the last 70 years, we may have actually figured out a better fucking way of doing things with the waste. The funniest part is they're actively hindering progress.
>>
>>130168412
>nuclear industry lobbies to increase regulations against fossil fuels
>big oil lobbies to turn the public against nuclear
>both sides underestimate the stupidity of the general public and now both forms of energy are disliked by simpletons

that is what happened

but the "problem" was that they were putting nuclear waste deep underground. the fact that it MUST be stored SOMEWHERE didn't concern the left.
>>
Hey I found this cool new encyclopedia of facts that somehow answers questions so you don't have to ask stupid bullshit here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca_Mountain_nuclear_waste_repository
>>
File: 1437849161196.jpg (214KB, 1280x666px) Image search: [Google]
1437849161196.jpg
214KB, 1280x666px
>>130168412

This was the problem
>>
File: letthemfight.gif (1MB, 495x464px) Image search: [Google]
letthemfight.gif
1MB, 495x464px
>>130174468
>>
>>130168412
>What was the problem?

For one thing, the area is prone to occasional 5.0+ earthquakes. Fission power is neat, but having reactors or waste storage in tectonically active regions might be asking for trouble.
>>
>>130168412
I worked operations security and site safety at the WIPP in New Mexico. The guys who transferred over in 2011 from Yucca said it was basically more about Reid getting reelected until the cost of continuing came out. Then the opposition team became, well, a lot more about Republicans in Texas, Hanford, etc. wanting those delicious NRC and DOE gibs for pretty much bad ideas for sites.

The WIPP was a good idea, soundly engineered. But you may not know that what killed it was some dumb-fuck boomer who bought a shit-ton of 'green cat litter' from his cousin's startup that, when the heat built up, did what woodchips do: Burst into fucking flames and burned like hell. The WIPP essentially buried waste in containers of the old-school mineral litter, which worked like a charm. Then, deep in the saltbed, the containers would be essentially grown over with mineral deposits... quickly, and entombed.

The last I heard, the person who made the requisition had lied about the grade of materials conforming to the standards as written and was dismissed and allowed to keep his fucking DOE pension. I was moved to Groton and now I make sure Navy enlistees don't dick up things during their training to manage shipboard piles.
>>
>>130175358
That is not a small possum.
>>
File: hnnnggg.gif (4MB, 300x375px) Image search: [Google]
hnnnggg.gif
4MB, 300x375px
>>130176829
what if the raccoon is just really tiny?
checkpoint.
>>
>>130177348
Touché
>>
File: 1479948377417.jpg (158KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1479948377417.jpg
158KB, 1500x1500px
>>130168412
>>130168926
>>130172423
>>130176739
I some times think of the world that could be the future of today envisioned from yesteryear , full scale nuclear energy providing all electricity to the point of driving away fuel used for domestic heating , and even expanding to supply a substitute for transit fuel too .

Flawless rail system and subways making cross country travel super cheap and fast (this would cut into air traffic)

Cheap abundant clean energy , perhaps not unlimited (fission fuel) but several century no problem

And of course just as with the advent of fossil fuel use a similar explosion of growth and development would occur

THEN in time the fusion problem is cracked

Humanity then shoots out across the stars in never ending prosperity for all time

>then the bubble pops and I look at the way things are and ...
>>
Liberals literally think that radiation is the green shit from the Simpsons and that it'll turn you into a 3 legged monster from their games.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.