[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know Jack shit about religion and I want to become a more religious

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 297
Thread images: 29

File: take-my-hand-greg-olsen.jpg (152KB, 900x720px) Image search: [Google]
take-my-hand-greg-olsen.jpg
152KB, 900x720px
I know Jack shit about religion and I want to become a more religious person. What's a good way to learn about the History of religion and read religious texts? I'm lost and have no idea where to start.
>>
>>129943796
Well it all starts with the book written by Mathew.
>>
>>129943796

Look within.

"The kingdom of heaven is within you"
>>
Read the bible.
>>
>>129943796
>I want to become a more religious person.
Why? Are you stupid? Just go to a churh and do what the other lobitomixed retards are doing.
>>
>>129945738
But atheism is blatantly false. You have to be a hedonistic moron to be one.
>>
>>129943796
Depends on what religion. Do a google search for where to start with the bible (if Christianity), and there are recommendations on what books to start with. Start paying attention to religious threads here, and find websites/boards/threads dedicated to the topic.
>>
>>129945594
this.

then, good burgers attend Episcopalian church, if you can find a local one with a ciswhite pastor.

mine are all women and faggots :(

else, find out what church your ancestors went to.
>>
>>129943796
Jesus is calling you back to his flock. He is the truth. If you have found American religion to be co-oped by idiots, it has, seriously look to Orthodox or Roman Catholic. I of course could be wrong. I'm a sinner. I pray you Jesus finds you.
>>
>>129943796
Read Mein Kampf and feel the words of the god himself
>>
>>129946032
>Episcopalian
kys
>>
>>129946032
> mine are all women and faggots :(
The Episcopal church is not a church. It's an apostate one. They don't believe the Bible. Especially, if you are going to a church led by women. It's not a church. Women can't be priests.

>>129946148
No. EO and RC are wrong and in error.

>>129943796
I recommend a solid Reformed church. Either Reformed Baptist, Presbyterian or an Anglican church.

Begin by reading the Bible. Start with the New Testament. I would suggest the NKJV.
>>
>>129943796
CS Lewis. Read Mere Christianity, the Abolition of Man, the Screwtape Letters, and the Pilgrim's Regress, then maybe the Problem of Pain.
If you like him you will want to look into GK Chesterton.
>>
>>129946269
It's fine if you can find another church besides the Episcopal Church USA. There are great ones but avoid any that ordain woman, fags and marry homosexuals or teach evolution.
>>
>>129945738
It's not stupid it holds society together and keeps standards, we need religion for pragmatic reasons
>>
Go to college. Religion is for blue collar wage cucks.
>>
>>129946564
Huh, I've never heard of on that doesn't do all those things.
>>
Got to " Islam is religion of peace dot com" and sign up for your personal imam visit. Brought to you by the letters: I and S
>>
File: 1478118650802.png (3MB, 2560x2600px) Image search: [Google]
1478118650802.png
3MB, 2560x2600px
>>129943796
Literally start with Wikipedia. Read the New Testament. Read "Mere Christianity" by C. S. Lewis. Lurk around religion-related threads in /his/. Consider looking into philosophy, like Kierkegaard. Read the Catechism of the Orthodox (or Catholic) Church, it sums up the basic beliefs of Christianity.

Also, pic related
>>
>>129943796
pick up the bible, read it from the beginning. most likely you will put it down before finishing, read proverbs, bits and pieces. there is no perfect way to start because Christianity is so huge. eventually start reading the new testament. read as much as you can. read st augustine. read christian saints, dante, other religious major authors to seriously enhance your understanding because they will pass off what they learned through their writing.

overall the most important work is the new testament and it's something you can read over and over, get deeper religious meanings the more you read into it, and you'll find certain stories will resonate a lot with your life depending on where you are in your life and who you are.

it goes beyond deep and there's a reason why it's so unpopular with the world, because it's not of this world and it goes against all the evil in this world, thus evil wants to do it all it can to make it look as unappealing as possible to those who have never read it.
>>
>>129946409
>>129943796
You can read the bible online here: https://www.biblegateway.com/, and if you can't decide on a version it has all of them. It's interesting to read a version that's in more simple english then compare the chapter to a different version.
>>
>>129946564
>teach evolution
Is that a problem?
>>
>>129946742
There are Reformed Episcopalian churches that are doctrinally sound.
>>
how can christians hate jews and then say the bible is "uncucked" when the first half of the bible, the old testament, is literally for JEWS ONLY
>>
>>129946978
For multiple reasons. Evolution is incompatible with Christianity. In fact evolution is a religion in it's own right.

>>129946863
I would recommend he read the Pilgrim's progress.

>>129946940
Well I would recommend the KJV but NKJV if you struggle with the language.
>>
Read Evolas's writings on buddhism or watch some documentaries if reading is not your thing.

Also spirituality >>>>> religion
>>
>>129943796

Look up Joseph Campbell OP. His work focuses on the metaphorical significance of mythological and religious stories.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLUgZhLJCHk
>>
>>129947196
The OT was given to the Jews but it is for edification of the entire church. Also Christians don't hate Jews. Christians don't have a stated opinion on Jews since no one speaks on behalf of all Christians. Biblically speaking a Jew will go to hell if he doesn't repent and believe.
>>
File: sheol.jpg (74KB, 704x390px) Image search: [Google]
sheol.jpg
74KB, 704x390px
>>129946409
I have a bone to pick with the KJV, it misntranslates Sheol, Hades, Tartarus, and Gehenna as hell every single time despite (sheol and hades are the same thing) these places being incredibly different.

I reccomend the new american standard bible, its the only other enlish version the interlinear (bible with hebrew/aramic and greek texts lined up to it) will back
>>
>>129943796
Get actual mentors and teachers from authoritative sources, not from 4chan.

Imagine dying and going to hell because you listened to fucking 4chan instead of a minister.
>>
>>129947368
> Also spirituality >>>>> religion
In other words good vibes >>>> the one true religion delivered by to saints
>>
File: 1497451075707.jpg (324KB, 767x370px) Image search: [Google]
1497451075707.jpg
324KB, 767x370px
>>129947444
>Also Christians don't hate Jews. Christians don't have a stated opinion on Jews since no one speaks on behalf of all Christians.

uh huh

the pope good enough to speak for all christians?
>>
>>129947241
I have to start out with the more simple versions or it's too boring and lost on me.
>>
Abrahamiv religions have some truth to them but most of it is a corruption in order to keep mechanisms of control like churches and the vatican.

I wouldn't recommend reqding the bible just yet as most of what is actually real in that book is in metaphor or alchemical language

Modern religion is a jewish subversion, read about Gnosticism and the first tribes of Christianity
>>
Just understand what the Bible is, and what it isn't. It is a reliable collection of historical documents, written by eye witnesses during the life times of other eye witnesses. They report supernatural events that took place in fulfillment of specific prophecies and claim that their writings are divine rather than human in origin.

Listen to Voddie Baucham explain what that means. Youtube Voddie Baucham Why I choose the believe the Bible.

Lastly, I'll say this. I don't agree with everything Voddie says and believes. In fact, I don't fully agree with any other Christian person I've ever met. Nobody knows the absolute truth, but it is our responsibility to study and understand the holy text with intellectual integrity, rather than blind faith.

I was born into a Christian family, I inherited an ignorant form of faith, but I believe God gave us brains so that we would use them. It's not wrong to investigate Christianity. Have fun, it's a big world of crazy people and fascinating ideas.
>>
>>129947760
>It is a reliable collection of historical documents
is that why there is no evidence of jews being slaves in egypt? the bible is just the first piece of jewish propaganda, "we wuz slaves" is the first holocaust meme
>>
>>129947602
"Yes goyim, you can only get to God through us!"
>>
>>129947452
It does not mistranslate those words. See

http://www.kjvtoday.com/home/hell-or-hades-in-matthew-1123-et-al

> I reccomend the new american standard bible, its the only other enlish version the interlinear (bible with hebrew/aramic and greek texts lined up to it) will back
They use an inferior set of manuscripts based on an un-Christians assumptions.
>>
>>129943796
OP watch this ultimate red pill of the Jews and how they are different from christians, read the new testament and follow and believe in the teachings of jesus for we are all desendents of the chosen people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXQcjmLw_Rc
>>
>>129945738
While you came across as a dumb asshole your point is kind of correct. Why would you want to be a more religious person? Are you looking for answers? Do you feel empty? Are you worried about dying?

At the end of the day introspection may be more useful to you than reading about prophets and miracles. If you sit down, think of why you want to be religious and still decide that religion is the answer I would suggest you read the holy book of whatever religion interests you (I assume Christianity), look up the various schools/divisions in your religion and the differences between them, and contact an expert (pastor or whatever) of the specific version you think best suits you. Reading a book alone can be useful but it helps when you have outside context, knowing the difference between Baptists, Methodists, Orthodox, and Catholics can help a lot when choosing a church.
>>
>>129943796
If you want to mind fuck youself, read Taoism books.
>>
>>129947590
Pedophile jewish institutions are as trustworthy as this site
>>
>>129946564
Reformation Churches seem lost. They deny science. They believe in stuff like Young Earth's and pure creationist ideas. They require you to outright deny the science that surrounds us. I thought for a long time religion was fake because I didn't understand how you can believe in creation and evolution. In fact they make much more sense together. God guides science. Either way, as long as he finds salvation in Jesus and the Trinity we should rejoice.
>>
why bother? there's no god. you don't need religion to tell you how to lead a decent life. think for yourself
>>
>>129947622
The office of pope is an unbiblical one and thus his opinion is just that, his opinion.

>>129947634
Then the NKJV.

>>129947753
> Modern religion is a jewish subversion, read about Gnosticism and the first tribes of Christianity
You are historically illiterate. You would rather have us read counterfeit material than the actual stuff.

>>129947760
> Nobody knows the absolute truth
Do you know that absolutely?

>>129947895
You're only counterargument is a rehashed meme.

>>129947951
It's not about being religious. I agree with you there. Rather you should seek Christianity out because it is true. Because God has laid the path of salvation out for you.
>>
If you really want the truth in the least corrupted way possible study the Vedas
>>
>>129947196
Because the 2ND half is all about what devils they are and not to be like them. Idiot
>>
>>129947241
You're confusing evolution with athiesm. I agree athiesm is definitely like a cult type religion.
>>
>>129948364
It's not an argument when you claim something to be absolute truth just because
>>
File: 1496569589632.jpg (51KB, 400x323px) Image search: [Google]
1496569589632.jpg
51KB, 400x323px
>>129947622
>catholics
>>
>>129948364
>The office of pope is an unbiblical one and thus his opinion is just that, his opinion.
delusional

also i hope this "nobody speaks for me" mindset was invented by jews so goyim would stop collectively blaming them for things
>>
>>129943796
Watch Ancient Aliens.
>>
>>129948206
> Reformation Churches seem lost. They deny science.
Unfortunately for you science isn't a religion. Rather science is a tool we use in investigating nature.

> . They believe in stuff like Young Earth's and pure creationist ideas.
You're implying evolution is true. Many Reformed churches believe in an old earth.

> They require you to outright deny the science that surrounds us
In what way? It seems to me you're an ignorant redditor who doesn't understand the facts in the evolution v. creation debate.

>>129948320
Not an argument
>>
>>129948364
lmao and you think that someone ignorant about religion will become illuminated just by reading the bible?
>>
Do you have a minute to talk about our lord and savior Ahura Mazda?
>>
>>129943796
Get off /pol. That would be a fucking hell of a good start.
>>
>>129948497
I wasn't putting forth an argument so?

>>129948489
Evolution is a religion. Darwinists come up short of evidence all the time but people stick to it because it's give folk a naturalistic explanation of the origin of life.

>>129948516
> goyim
You sound retarded
>>
>>129947196
Start with Mathew. Jews are shown for what they are.
>>
File: Peterson_sorting_intensifies.jpg (43KB, 500x567px) Image search: [Google]
Peterson_sorting_intensifies.jpg
43KB, 500x567px
>>129943796
Oh buddy, are you in for a treat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-wWBGo6a2w
>>
>>129948720
It's not about religion. It's about Christianity. If they read the Bible they will find the path of salvation and how to enter into a right relationship with their creator. Yes.
>>
I'm just wondering: Any Christians in this thread believe in evolution?

I've been asking in /pol/'s religious threads, and almost ALL of the answers I've gotten have been "yes"
>>
>>129948907
how can you claim the bible is anything but shit when literally all four books that are devoted to them BEING SLAVES N SHIET has no historical or archeological evidence

even jews say that exodus is a myth

don't you see that the bible was simply the first control matrix similar to the holocaust in that it got people to think of them as victims? they were never slaves in egypt just like they were never killed by le ebul nazis. the only difference is it took them almost 4000 years to admit this shit
>>
>>129948516
The office of Pope isn't very Christian my dudr, but hey if you want to believe in it I'm sure your local Federal SuperMax has some feet that need kissing.
>>
File: CRUSADER.jpg (109KB, 818x768px) Image search: [Google]
CRUSADER.jpg
109KB, 818x768px
>>129943796
Do the following:
>>129945465
>>129945594
>>
>>129948848
>I wasn't putting forth an argument so?
>You're only counterargument is a rehashed meme.
>counterargument

retard
>>
>>129949124
> how can you claim the bible is anything but shit when literally all four books that are devoted to them BEING SLAVES N SHIET has no historical or archeological evidence
If you ventured in scholarly journals you would find the opposite. But your ignorant and stupid. You unable to form cogent arguments.

> even jews say that exodus is a myth
Liberal Jews do.

> don't you see that the bible was simply the first control matrix similar to the holocaust in that it got people to think of them as victims? they were never slaves in egypt just like they were never killed by le ebul nazis. the only difference is it took them almost 4000 years to admit this shit
Wow. You are a legit moron.
>>
File: gWIFZYj.jpg (11KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
gWIFZYj.jpg
11KB, 500x375px
Don't see the point OP. Aliens are the ones that created us. Exotheism doesn't require you to get up every Sunday morning.
>>
If you want to even BEGIN to understand the Holy Bible...

You MUST read Enoch, and understand the Serpent Seed Doctrine.

http://serpentseedline.com/

http://www.serpentseedline.com/control_factor.htm

http://mystery-babylon.org/cain.html
>>
File: earth.jpg (299KB, 584x622px) Image search: [Google]
earth.jpg
299KB, 584x622px
>>129947933
you missed the point where i brought up Sheol, which is a place commonly referred to in the old testament. and yes, Hades is Sheol, which are places both inherently different to Gehenna, and Tartarus.

i mean you can say it doesn't mistranslate it, but it actually kind of does.

>They use an inferior set of manuscripts based on an un-Christians assumptions.
I'm pretty sure its the same set of manuscripts Ivan Panin wrote 43,000 pages on explaining the mathematical properties of the bible that he uses to explain how its divinely inspired, but ok.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Panin
>>
>>129946032
Have the same problem here, went to a church and there were crazy women and weak faggits praying. Their weirdo behaviour nullified their entire message for me, horrible if every retard is allowed to do this
>>
>>129949077
I do.
>>
>>129949294
Nah you're just mad that I brought up a legit point. Jews are all about playing victim but most importantly having some sort of myths to back up their being victims. They play victim but really are the oppressors

the old testament serves literally no other purpose than to establish jews as victims(being oppressed by the egyptians) so they can justify themselves as oppressing others

its the same with the fucking holocaust, why do you think so many rabbis and jewish leaders are saying that the holocaust is turning into the new jewish religion. jews don't give a shit about their torah anymore, look at the surveys, most of them say being jewish is about "remembering the holocaust"

in 200 or maybe 300 years they will codify a new "bible" that includes stories about how they were enslaved by the nazis and christians n shiet, and they will throw away their torah because after 4000 years of bullshit, it's outlived its usefulness

you are a faggot
>>
>>129943796

Read the New Testament first. This shouldn't take much longer than a week or two if you really are interested.

After you have read the teachings of christ and feel that you understand what his purpose was, read the Old Testament. Compare the contrast between the two.

The OT becomes much more interesting when you read it after the NT. How many contradictions are there? Is Jesus really serving the same God as the Jews in the OT? Did God just take a 180 on his eternal covenant of circumcision and the sabbath or are the modern Jews who's religious tradition stem from the pharisees the vipers that Jesus spoke about?

There is no reason to turn to any other book than the bible itself. Read it before you listen to pastors and preachers who will skew your understanding of the gospels permanently.

After you read it, then you can listen to the opinions of others on their interpretation or their testimonies.
>>
Reminder that we live in the age of deceit, where the devil tricked most of the world by corrupting the good with the bad and mixing truth with lies.

The truth? Jesus Christ's teaching
The lies? Abrahamic religions and the Church
>>
>>129949183
>no whores in our society
>jesus hangs out with whores in the new testament
>god commands hosea to marry a harlot
????
>occultic pratices shall be condemned
Proverbs 25:2
the defition of occult is "hidden knowledge" the bible in itself is an occult book by definition. but I do agree with the notion that sorcery, witchcraft, and idolatry are bad
>>
The book of Genesis is a Commentary/Allegory/Parable on Biological Warfare.

So spend some time studying Biological Warfare methods, technique, and history.
>>
>>129949703
So my follow up question is usually this:

How do you square the concept of original sin with your belief in evolution?
>>
>>129949124
I use to think it was a cop out to say faith. But it's true. I think you have to understand it's meant to be confusing and complex. Jesus talks mostly in riddles. Jesus is the Son of God. He is like his father.
>>
>>129950143
wat
>>
The occult is only occult because during the dark ages you were persecuted and killed for researching that stuff so it remained hidden.

Reminder that science and psichology have their roots in alchemic studies.

Newton would be considered an occultist if we still had those dumb standards
>>
>>129946474

This is probably the best starting point.
>>
>>129949620
Go to an Orthodox Christian Liturgy or a Catholic Mass.
>>
>>129946032
>Good
>Episcopalian

Just go to a Catholic mass. Orthodox if you're a Greek, from Balkans, or Russian.
>>
Reminder that YHWH is a jewish egregore.

Moses made a pact with a fallen angel
>>
Reminder that the bible replaced all mentions of Adonai, Elohim and Yaweh with the word God to bring about the age of monotheism to better control the population
>>
File: heresy.jpg (26KB, 230x346px) Image search: [Google]
heresy.jpg
26KB, 230x346px
>>129950817
god, this has to be the dumbest thing I've ever read in my entire life. take the gnostic pill
>>
>>129951054
sshhh
>>
>>129951053
> Reminder that the bible replaced all mentions of Adonai, Elohim and Yaweh with the word God

yes this is true

>to bring about the age of monotheism to better control the population
no, this is retarded. the soul has a monotheistic creator
>>
>>129951053
not KJV
>>
>>129950262
I'm new to faith. I would think it's definitely not a real story about the Apple and trees and snakes. It was when people came about, however that was, they became misguided and required intervention. This is why prophets would show up rather often at first. But after his Son is murdered. He stopped sending them and has given it time to see what happens. We don't and can't know what he knows or could we understand His plan.
>>
>>129951347
how is the holy trinity a monotheistic concept?
>>
So is the "serpent" the kundalini, a reptilian, the spine, dna or what?
what did they mean by this
>>
>>129951744
There are a lot of things that seem like obvious allegories as someone who was raised Christian but not interested in it until lately.
>>
>>129943796
buddhism
>>
>>129952051
Satan? Joos?
>>
File: Todd Friel picture.jpg (38KB, 653x472px) Image search: [Google]
Todd Friel picture.jpg
38KB, 653x472px
>>129943796
Wretched TV has a bunch of short videos on YouTube that will teach you the basics of (Protestant) Christianity.

Don't fall for the Catholic meme, real Christianity is about faith and the Bible alone - not some degenerate Pope declaring to know what God wants.

Todd Friel is the name of the host.
>>
File: 1495229282596.jpg (91KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1495229282596.jpg
91KB, 640x640px
>>129943796
Listen to that christian music radio station on the lower end of the FM band.
>>
Look up the pantheon of el if u wanna get redpilled. Believe in jesus if ur beta.
>>
>>129951839
because they are 1 in the spirit?

>>129952051
the serpent is a spiritual energy the serpent isn't a character for evil, its a symbol for wisdom.
>>
>>129951744
Just so I'm understanding your position (and correct me if I'm wrong):

You do not believe that the story of Adam and Eve literally occurred as it is presented in the bible.

I'm not going to try and debate, I just kind of want to understand more of how you can synthesize some tenants of Christianity as well as believe in evolution. It has always baffled me.

What do you mean by "misguided"? And when do you think that occurred?
>>
>>129951839
3 aspects of the same being.
>>
>>129952505
What was the original sin then?
>>
>>129952438
>tfw when it's Jesus radio all across the dial
I don't know I guess that's good for some people. It's worth a shot.

But if you don't know anyone irl to talk to it's just like a neverending infomercial.
>>
>>129952407
forgot link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcbK547Zse8
>>
Its really telling how all the people on here believe in magical bullshit.
>>
>>129952831
22) The Savior said, All nature, all formations, all creatures exist in and with one another, and they will be resolved again into their own roots.

23) For the nature of matter is resolved into the roots of its own nature alone.

24) He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

25) Peter said to him, Since you have explained everything to us, tell us this also: What is the sin of the world?

26) The Savior said There is no sin, but it is you who make sin when you do the things that are like the nature of adultery, which is called sin.

27) That is why the Good came into your midst, to the essence of every nature in order to restore it to its root.

28) Then He continued and said, That is why you become sick and die, for you are deprived of the one who can heal you.

29) He who has a mind to understand, let him understand.

30) Matter gave birth to a passion that has no equal, which proceeded from something contrary to nature. Then there arises a disturbance in its whole body.

31) That is why I said to you, Be of good courage, and if you are discouraged be encouraged in the presence of the different forms of nature.

32) He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

33) When the Blessed One had said this, He greeted them all,saying, Peace be with you. Receive my peace unto yourselves.

34) Beware that no one lead you astray saying Lo here or lo there! For the Son of Man is within you.

35) Follow after Him!

36) Those who seek Him will find Him.

37) Go then and preach the gospel of the Kingdom.

38) Do not lay down any rules beyond what I appointed you, and do not give a law like the lawgiver lest you be constrained by it.

39) When He said this He departed.
>>
>>129952869
That's actually a key difference though. If you start to look at history a little bit you find the crazy stuff comes out of mystery magic and the sane stuff comes out of somebody or other trying to tell you to stay away from that.
>>
>>129952869
yet you brought up this "pantheon of el" bullshit
>>
>>129952869
You must be a newfag. Half of /pol/ are atheists or cultural Euro-pagans who support abortion because it kills more nonwhites.
>>
>>129950021
But the bible isn't hidden knowledge because everyone should read it.
>>
>>129952529
My question is how can it be decided that some biblical stories are allegories but some are completely true word for word and not metaphorical at all?
>>
>>129953103
Im not saying believe it. He said he doesnt know shit about religion. Learning about the pantheon of el is pretty crazy interesting how bastardized monotheism is from what the original animism was. Judaism is probably the only religion to go from animism the polytheism to henotheism to polytheism. Ofcourse all of them are stupid bullshit but its still an interesting lesson in human thought process.
>>
>>129953340
Yes. Everyone should read the bible. And the qoran and the vedas. Nothing will help u spot bullshit by understanding the source. Athiesm is unstopable.
>>
>>129953248
So if i stab u in the heart should i be legally required to give u mine?
>>
>>129953399
>>129953399
You interpret that yourself when you gain more knowledge and background to gain perspective, that's why intelligent people take everything with a grain of salt

your spiritual path is your own and if you want answers you'll find them yourself
>>
>>129953399
You actually bring up a great point. It seems pretty selective on the part of most Christians I've spoken to. When one story doesn't fit into modern scientific understanding, it gets tossed, or augmented.

Who's to say what is and isn't allegory in the bible?
>>
>>129953399
Ye, you must decide for yourself what is fake news.
>>
>>129953920
Its all stupid bullshit.
>>
>>129953063
So basically materialism is bad?

Didn't the serpent trick Eve and God banished them from the Garden?

Why would wisdom be against God?
>>
>>129954179
He tricked them into taking part in moral comprehension and god was like "fuck u i want blind ignorance!"
>>
>I know Jack shit about X and I want to become a more of a X person.
That's a very concerning statement OP.
>>
>>129953920
Once you understand about antinomianism, you can see which Christians are fake and which are actually Christian, Anon.
>>
>>129953399
By what Jesus says.
He is obvious literal, and so is revelation (its literal but speaks in symbols)

The old testament is probably mostly literal with abraham and moses.

Adam and eve I think are literal, but could also be seen as an allegory for the real literal human fall.

Tower of babel probably represent an event, though not so literal

The Flood happened

the big fish story isnt literal I guess
>>
>>129954473
If you have a problem with this thread, report it, don't simply sit there and cry like a baby.
>>
>>129954550
No christains are fake. Theyre all real people. The religion is the fake part.
>>
>>129954650
Dude ur like...actually nuts.
>>
>>129954550
I actually don't know what that is.

Further, could you define a fake Christian and a real Christian for me, so I can understand?

>>129954650
I didn't come here to debate and argue, but I would like it if you could explain what you meant by "The Flood happened."

You mean the Noah flood?
>>
>>129954650
Jonah and the whale is about ignorance and initiation
>>
File: 65463543.jpg (53KB, 1000x450px) Image search: [Google]
65463543.jpg
53KB, 1000x450px
>>129954688
You seem to have a problem with my post when there there is no problem that exists here at all except OP's proclivity toward making choices with insufficient information.
>>
>>129955158
I already defined it for you; and if you're not willing to do the not-particularly-difficult research I've recommended then how much do you actually want to know the answer to what you're asking?
>>
File: 1478678010706.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1478678010706.gif
2MB, 200x200px
>>129954964
>>
>>129955158
He's probably talkig about the fact that many tribes all around the world supposedly have stories of a great flood

And there is evidence that around the persian golf there was civilization which is now under the sea, because the sea levels are now higher
>>
>>129955559
I got that same shirt from top man
>>
>>129943796

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfEA_4gFDgo
>>
>>1299520513 persons, one God. Think of water. It can have 3 forms. Liquid, steam, ice... Not the greatest way to explain it, but it's hard to explain the Holy Trinity. BTW, the Catholic Church is the one true church.
>>
>>129953755
Over the course of a lifetime those aren't hard or long books to read.

You SHOULD read all books pertaining to other religions because you should be well versed in their beliefs.

And Atheism is a pure contradiction to itself. Something based completely off the idea that nothing is there is dumb, because things don't "just happen". The universe wasn't created from nothing. Planets were created by something (god).

If the universe is infinite, and everything that can happen, will happen, then there is no reason to believe that there isn't a god.
>>
>>129955608
Oh really? Got a sorce for that civilization or are we just supposed to take you for your word?

How do you explain civilizations around the world have un interupted history with uninterupted history and no flood stories? Like native americans in the central us?
>>
>>129955608
I thought it was fact that there was a great flood but not solid evidence of an ark.
>>
>>129956159
The one true church is the one that touches the most little boys?
>>
>>129943796

Before you do anything else. Start with the source. Read the New Testament. Get reading without someone else projecting a narrative unto it.
>>
>>129956359
The Dynamics of Faith convinced me on god from a very existential viewpoint.
>>
>>129943796
Become a catholic
>>
>>129956359
Athiesm is the rejection (disbelief) of all the propositions of the existence of gods or goddesses. I can still believe in fairies and be an athiest. Many budhists are athiests.
>>
>>129956449
I don't mean a "different" civilization retard.

If you find man made arquitecture at the bottom of the sea, what do you call that? not civilization?

I also don't think there was a flood retard, i'm just explaining why some people might believe thay
>>
>>129956758
This
>>
>>129946032
Episcapal churches have female dyke priest.
The communist infiltrators destroyed the episcapal church
>>
>>129955608
>He's probably talkig about the fact that many tribes all around the world supposedly have stories of a great flood
I've actually heard that argument before. If I remember correctly, those flood stories wildly differ from one another, however. Not only that...doesn't that imply a HUGE problem with the flood itself? The flood supposedly left only 8 survivors, who God spared. How could other tribes the world over have observed the flood if they were wiped out?

>>129956525
>I thought it was fact that there was a great flood
To clarify for you: It isn't. There's no geological record of a great flood. Further, a flood of that caliber pretty much demands an ark to exist (because the flood would have wiped all life off the face of the earth, so every living thing would have had to survive somehow).

It's not logical.
>>
>>129956601
People were trying to destroy the church from with in
>>
Lul this picture "come child I will show you how to sin"
>>
>>129956359
So how do u explain the facts of the universe remaining internally consistent and repicatable with no apperant intervention. Many of the gods proposed by religions violate natural laws we have come to understand and the ones that doent violate laws are indistinguisable from ones that dont exist.
>>
>>129956732
I mean, everyone interprets God in their own way and everyone has a different experience in their relationship with him.

I'm sure your moment of salvation was much different from mine, but in the end it's about being a good person and loving God unconditionally because he knows what's best for you.

My story was a pretty crazy one, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
>>
>>129956790
You're arguing semantics.
>>
Read The Kybalion
>>
>>129956525
Theres no evidence of "great flood" floods occur allover all of the time due to snow melt, seismic activity and various other natural processes and all floods leave geological evidence of their existence. With exception of the flood in question which no evidence has surfaced from
>>
>>129943796

>I'm lost and have no idea where to start.

False.

You wouldn't have made this thread with that image, were that true.
>>
>>129943796
>i dont understand religion so i want to join a religion
Can't you just try to understand it BEFORE joining the religion? Otherwise you'll just be indoctrinated by any religion out there. Even the cult ones.
If you don't understand the need for religion, then it's probably a good idea not to join one just because you don't understand it.
>>
>>129943796
Audio books can be a big help, particularly with the Bible. Because of the way it is written, and the unusual names, it can be hard to follow in many places; particularly the Old Testament.
>>
>>129956843
1) how did u determine it was man made. 2) how did u rule out every posibility and 3) gonna have to press u for that source.
>>
>>129957010
>>129957377
Oh okay, I remember watching some history channel stuff where they talked about floods that might have been the one the bible referred to, but they were not world wide level floods.
>>
>>129956601
I wouldn't put it that way, but yes. Just 'cause some priests have committed grave sins, doesn't mean the church is evil or doesn't possess the truth. Think of the education system. There are some bad teachers, should we abandon education?
>>
>>129957018
Lololol
>>
>>129957115
Because these "laws" you make up literally don't exist.

God transcends all man made laws. He's not some being that is just at one point in time, he is everywhere and everything.

Explain how gravity is completely different in one part of the universe than here? That's a theory that man created, and it can even be seen to change and distort in other parts of this physical universe. Even time can distort, something seen as a constant, never changing thing.
>>
>>129957018

>trying to

They already have.

Only the fool cannot see it.
>>
>>129957122
Mumble mumble mumble spiritual mumble mumble universe
>>
>>129957471
He didn't say join a religion though. Looks like OP is asking about where to being learning general religious history and what texts to start with. Christianity is implied with the photo, but OP left it pretty general.
>>
>>129945362
FPBP
P
B
P
>>
File: 34.jpg (55KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
34.jpg
55KB, 960x640px
>>129957658
Get lost, papist heretic and take your Hispanics with you.
>>
>>129957192
Im arguing usages. If u dont believe in gods but u do believe in fairies u are still an athiest. U cant say athiests dont believe in anything. All u know about an athiest is that he or she doesnt believe in 1 thing
>>
>>129957634
History channel is bullshit.
>>
File: adam and eve.png (62KB, 1102x854px) Image search: [Google]
adam and eve.png
62KB, 1102x854px
>>129954650
>being of this weak of faith
no, i very unironically think Jonah was swallowed by a whale for 3 days

>>129954179
there's a drastic difference between the demiurge Yaldaboath, and Saboath Yahweh who is a symbol of repentance. the mystery of genesis is incredibly deep, and Yahweh in himself is represented as a serpent with 7 heads, and yes, materialism is essentially bad.

its not that Wisdom was against God, its that Wisdom did something against God. Sophia created something without her male companion, which begot the demiruge, which basically came out like a failed abortion, and hid her mistake in the material realm. you're generally not allowed to create life without your male or female half. see pic

if you want to understand read the gnostic gospels
>>
>>129958017
He was obviously referring to people who deny the existence of metaphysical things like gods or cosmic orders like reincarnation and Chi.
>>
>>129958163
I love watching Ancient Aliens, but I know it's still jewish run propaganda ;_;. Where else can I find stuff like that?
>>
>>129945362
This.

Christ shows us the way.
>>
>>129958319
Watch it online for free. You won't be inflating ratings or handing over dollars to the History Channel.
>>
>>129957584
Again, I'm not trying to prove any theories, just showing that archeological evidence of human civilization buried at sea does exist

https://www.google.cl/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/10340-lost-civilization-existed-beneath-persian-gulf.html
http://animations.geol.ucsb.edu/2_infopgs/IP2IceAge/ePersGulfFlood.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/1768109.stm
https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/researchers-document-underwater-cave-and-ancient-remains
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2848061/Remains-ancient-settlement-bottom-Aegean-sea.html
>>
>>129957658
The church is evil for like hundreds of reasons.
Aids in africa
Indulgences
The idea that there are special people
Aposing contreception
Aposing gay people
Crusades
Inqusition
Protecting pederasts
Preying on the weak
Taking billions of dollars to help the poor and not helping the poor (mother teresa)
Criminal actions to lie to the police.
>>
>>129957804
I don't have to convince you on becoming saved. If and when it's your time you will repent and embrace God's love. I'm sure you've frequently seen these threads on here a lot lately, maybe it's God's way of calling to you.
>>
>>129958502
Yeah I do that already.
>>
>>129957757
O so ur one of those pantheists.
Yeah.....u can take a w on this one i dont have time to argue with people without a doctrine.
>>
>>129958319
Infowars. Its all bs too
>>
>>129958661
bluepilled af
>>
>>129958526
By definition theories are proven
>>
>>129959023
I've still never watched infowars.
>>
File: thoth.jpg (10KB, 168x300px) Image search: [Google]
thoth.jpg
10KB, 168x300px
>>129958319
by going straight to the source of the mythology they derive their misinformation from.
>>
File: 1496766461135.jpg (893KB, 1500x2057px) Image search: [Google]
1496766461135.jpg
893KB, 1500x2057px
>>129943796
https://archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/125637346/#125637346
>>
>>129958661
>opposing gay people is negative to you
>acting like people didn't used to marry girls once they experienced puberty until like 100 years ago
kys faggot
>>
>>129959212
Good point. Should I just look up "ancient mythology" or "Egyptian mythology" and read the translated texts?
>>
File: 1486152811588.jpg (18KB, 236x354px) Image search: [Google]
1486152811588.jpg
18KB, 236x354px
>>129949528
>Tartarus
Yep only mentioned ONCE in the whole bible. That's an interesting verse.Read Ezekiel 32 it's about sinners not going to hell but purgatory in sheol.
>>
>>129959115
Is this bait?
>>
>>129943796
Here is the most important thing to remember about religion:

Every god fabricated comes with the same amount of supporting evidence............zero.

Every god.

Zero.

Now what does that tell you? Yes, that religion is a scam designed to wield control over you and to separate you from your cash. It is for the weak, the frightened, the stupid, the ignorant and the gullible.

You can have faith or dignity, but not both.
>>
File: He returns.jpg (121KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
He returns.jpg
121KB, 612x612px
>>129943796
You might like these videos:
THE OTHER ISRAEL [full documentary]
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJxdIXgMGAI

Who Are God's Chosen People? Marching to Zion FULL MOVIE - Steven Anderson - Paul Wittenberger
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXQcjmLw_Rc

Identity Crisis- Passion for Truth Ministries
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN-1jUc963g

Know Your Enemy (Part 1 - Introduction)
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDDGl79x4Pc
I recommend watching all 77 parts. Good Christian videos.

"New World Order Bible Versions" FULL MOVIE
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAgDXZfOfx0
>>
>>129958754
Mumble mumble jesus
>>
>>129959485
Meditate on the hermetic principles
>>
>>129959041
Bluepill ftw
>>
>>129959772
Study them first, obviously
>>
>>129959336
I guess uv never heard of the thousands of years of history of gay people in litterally of the world.
>>
>>129959534
It says that Pharaoh will be "comforted" in sheol and yet he went around pillaging
>>
>>129959641
You can't really prove that. There's still a chance that aliens visited at least one civilization for even just a few hours, confused the fuck out of them, left, and then the people created a religion based on what they experienced. Or you know that at least one religion is correct.
>>
>>129959569
No i mean litterally the definitio. Of a theory is a tested hypothesis supported by a body of evidence that when subjected to rigorous experiementation continues to yeild reliable results. Aka proven.
>>
>>129959940
>it exists
>it must be good
>>
>>129960001
>aliens
more like inter dimensional psychic entities
>>
>>129960199
What if Aliens were really just progerians?
>>
>>129958661
Sleep AF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KV6PXSODgE
>>
File: 4c (2).png (76KB, 1357x446px) Image search: [Google]
4c (2).png
76KB, 1357x446px
>>129943796
>I'm lost and have no idea where to start.

Avoid kidfuckers.
>>
>>129958526
The biggest thing i want to point out about those sources is that they are just litterally talking about civilizations that have occured in locations that were below sea level now. So...yup..thats a thing...
>>
>>129960103
I think you're underage or just dumb. I already said I don't subscribe to the great flood theory, I simply provided the evidence that lead people to think that.

You're arguing me about semantics and there isn't even an argument to be had you retard
>>
>>129960662
Liberal teachers told me that the theory of evolution is 100% true, because of whatever anon is saying.
>>
>>129943796
start with zoroaster
>>
>>129959641
Question for ya. Have you ever done something that you knew was wrong and felt guilty about it? Even when we get away with something terrible and know that we'll never get caught, how come we still feel guilty? I'll tell ya why. Because there is such a thing as objective moral laws. And if there are objective moral laws, there's a God. And please spare me the "learned behavior" bull. Just 'cause your parents and society tells us something is wrong our whole lives, doesn't mean you wouldn't know without someone telling you. 'Cause even people who were abused and never was taught rigght and wrong knows not to kill or rape someone. Even if they do it, they still know it's wrong.
>>
>>129960001
>You can't really prove that

Sure I can. Look at the Gini Index. Look at the extremely unequal wealth distribution in the most religious countries. In these countries the church is in control. They talk charity and they walk greed. By their actions, you will know them.
>>
>>129943796

Read the King James Bible.
>>
>>129960907
Niggers lack this quality. Proof they are subhuman.
>>
>>129960199
>espers
They're robots
>>
>>129958175
>gnostic gospels

Do you mean that Nag Hammadi book?
>>
Christ's enemies were the rich oligarchy of Jews.

/Pol/ is a Christian board for a reason.
>>
>>129943796
Bishop Robert Barron is the best place to start if you ask me.
https://www.youtube.com/user/wordonfirevideo/videos
>>
>>129960999
What do prots think about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L14UNjaZJm8
>>
>>129960979
I was obviously talking about the fact that you can't say there is 0% chance that one is right or derived from something that really happened. It can still be abused.
>>
>>129943796
>What's a good way to learn about the History of religion and read religious texts?
By not reading them at all. God is evil.
>>
>>129961077
>/Pol/
>/P
Thanks kek we're in /pol/
>>
>>129961135

I'm not watching that.
>>
>>129960907
>And if there are objective moral laws, there's a God

Even if this premise made sense, and it doesn't, you are still left with the following questions:

1.Which god?
2.Why that particular god?
3.Why not a different god?
4. Define your chosen god
5. Provide evidence that your chosen god exists
>>
>>129946587
>It's not stupid

The entire first half is so stupid that christians completely ignore it.

>it holds society together

Then it failed miserably.
>>
>>129961423
lmao you're trying to logically explain the universe

logic is a product of the human brain
>>
>>129961230
You got me on the uppercase thing.

But what I said is true all the same.
>>
>>129961747

Clarification. The first half of the Bible.
>>
>>129960907
Do you think that could just be because of natural law which is instilled into humans through evolution? Since a society which chimps out and acts immorally will die and usually never get very far. Of course you could also just take the point which you made, that god gave man natural law. Both valid I suppose.
>>
227 replies and not a single leaf here... y'all must be loving those custom flags
>>
>>129961150
>I was obviously talking about the fact that you can't say there is 0% chance that the tooth fairy is right or derived from something that really happened.

Equally valid.
>>
File: Daily_Examen-Martin-cover.jpg (102KB, 400x518px) Image search: [Google]
Daily_Examen-Martin-cover.jpg
102KB, 400x518px
>>129943796
do the daily examen, read the bible. They used to have free podcast where they did the daily office prayers, but apparently they got jewed to death somehow. It was a chill way to read a lil bible before winding down at the end of the day.

Anyway, read a bible history chapter or two, and a bible psalms/proverbs/etc wisdom chapter or two a day, and do prayer. After you kill the OT, go straight through the NT.
>>
>>129961886
Dodging inconvenient questions, the post.
>>
>>129961935
And it's the same first half which has the magic faggot waving his wand and zapping up a universe.
>>
>>129962269
I'm a different person you fedora retard
>>
File: The Holy Mother.jpg (788KB, 1000x1346px) Image search: [Google]
The Holy Mother.jpg
788KB, 1000x1346px
>>129945362
C.S. Lewis, atheist turned christian. He writes a lot about christianity but also about religious belief in general. I had trouble with a lot of religious stuff until I read his work.
>>
>>129961423
I think you're jumping ahead a bit. First, do you even think that there's a chance that a God exists? Or are you an atheist who thinks gasses and space rocks, or whatever, always existed and then a huge explosion and expansion happened causing earth, sun, and moon to align perfectly to nurture life as we know it? 'Cause we obviously can't get something from nothing, so something must've always existed. I believe God always existed. What do you think always existed?
>>
>>129962123
Right very unlikely, especially if we fully understand the origin stories for myths. We still can't know for sure that just one religion wasn't actually contacted by God or what they perceived as God(s).
>>
>>129962433
I'm aware of that. You also had the opportunity to address them, but you ran. christfags always run.
>>
Religion is dead
>>
File: art 1.jpg (1MB, 2224x1420px) Image search: [Google]
art 1.jpg
1MB, 2224x1420px
>>129962193
I say start with new testament
>>
>>129946409
Anglican and Episcopal are the same...
>>
>>129962916
I'm not a christian you stupid fuck, I just dislike retarded atheists who think they can argue their way into understanding the universe while never researching or studying anything

In short, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about
>>
>>129961936
I don't believe in evolution, but I am open to the idea of it. If we are the result of evolution, then I believe that God planted the seed of life and when we came about He gave us laws to live by, so we were separate from animals. More like Him.
>>
>>129961886
Logic is the grace of god.
>>
>>129943796
john (lamb) lash on youtube
>>
>>129962722
>First, do you even think that there's a chance that a God exists?

First you need to define god. I can't answer that question without knowing what you are asking.

>Or are you an atheist...?

Obviously.

>Cause we obviously can't get something from nothing...

If this were true, then the origin of your god needs explaining. Who created him?

>I believe God always existed...

Which god? Evidence for that god? Also, if this argument makes sense to you, why don't you just believe that the universe always existed? Why fabricate a god and insert it?
>>
>>129963362
Does this mean that fedoras are God in the flesh?
>>
>>129963317
>atheists who think they can argue their way into understanding the universe

Things that never happened, the post.
>>
>>129963518
Why is there something instead of nothing?

Explain this
>>
>>129948848
>short of evidence

>claims of apostate status
>claims Roman Catholic (the one true universal faith) not legitimate

Besides, OT exists solely to frame the NT. Christians are not bound by the same laws as Jews, for instance, but Leviticus is included to show a shared tradition.

Christianity, however, is a plague by the Jews and has no place in Europe and definitely not the United States. The religion did not come up in the blood and soil of white ancestors. It should have stayed in Israel.
>>
>>129963665
You're using logical discourse to somehow disprove the existence of a God
>>
>>129959641
Is music a a discovery or an invention? To someone who thinks god is a human invention consider, consider why you respond so deeply to music.
>>
>>129943796
start by researching the oldest monotheistic religion which is Zoroastrianism. Then from there follow the branches and compare and contrast. you'll eventually see patterns (universal truths). good luck
>>
>>129963775
The honest answer is that we presently don't know. The dishonest answer is to fabricate a god, fail to explain how that god was created, and then pass around the collection plate. This is how the scammers in the religion business operate.
>>
>>129963518
God = the creator of the universe and everything in it, including you and me.

If the universe could've always existed, why couldn't God always existed? The big bang without a creator seems too impossible for my taste. It's like me blowing up my house and out of that destruction and debris, a new house was built. Imagine if we travel to a planet and find art somewhat similar to ours. Something that can't be mistaken for anything else, but art. Would you think that gas and rocks made it, or a life form?
>>
>>129964438
religion has nothing to donwith personal belief.

a belief doesn't need physical proof, more like faith and intuition.

you seem to hold logic to the highest of standards, but not intuition, so why the bias? they both are nothing more than neurons interacting
>>
>>129962471
If anyone wants to get into C.S. Lewis, there this channel. My personal favorite is the poison of subjectivism. Also the screwtape letters are pretty awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CSLewisDoodle/videos
>>
>>129964170
I would argue that "universal truths" could exist also in pagan and polytheistic religions as well.

I would further argue that the universal truths commonly held are the truths that haven't been discarded yet by a society. Considering that modern anatomical humans have been around for about 60k years, there are probably many "universal truths" that have been discarded.

The only "Universal Truth" that I can think if that will stand the test of time would be the Pythagorean theorem.
>>
>>129964804
Logic can usually be tested. A rudimentary form of logic, such as simple addition, can be tested by counting. Does 2 + 2 =4? Simple, count two groups of two objects.

Intuition is untestable and therefore unproveable. When you say that you intuit the existence of something, neither you nor I can test it. It is circular reasoning that brings you to the conclusion that because I cannot prove you wrong, you are right. It is equally circular reasoning for me to claim that because you cannot prove yourself right, that God does not exist.

Either case could be true or false: it is an untestable hypothesis.
>>
>>129964763
BTW, I'm going to bed, so enjoy believing that we're all just pond scum and that the world came to be by mere chance. I'm sure it's working wonders for ya. Hahaha. Goodnight, buddy.
>>
>>129965163
ahem the OP said he wanted to be more religious you fucking retard I'm pointing him in the direction he asked for. That said if he would like to take a polytheistic route he can do that by studied the polytheistic religions . If he wants a secular view philosophies but that wasn't the advice he asked for. nigger
>>
>>129965958
Personal belief is not about "proving" things to others

Logic is useless in this case, since you can't empirically demonstrate something that in theory is not of this universe or dimension.

Why would principles observable in this reality apply to all of existence?
>>
>>129966086
Yes, lead him into the Abrahimic faiths only shlomo. We all know all roads lead to G-d and that is the true religion.
>>
>>129966483
I assumed he wanted to know the roots of christianity because of the opening post pic. OP can research into whatever the fuck he wants. Now stop bothering me before you infect me with your stupidity. Filthy kike nigger
>>
>>129966709
>roots of Christianity
You have said all that is needed to be said, shlomo. Isn't it time for you to suck on some freshly cut baby penis?
>>
>>129967022
let me guess you would rather op suck commie marxist cock. Atheism has lead to the indifferent nihilistic mindset of the west which is why it is falling. What did Europe create during the renaissance??
>>
>>129967022
or indeed at the height of their roman/greek polytheism and philosophical discourse beauty
but you would rather never see that flourish ever again by the way you talk
>>
>>129943796
Jesus only ever told one guy you must be born again, and he told him in a secluded setting with just the two of them. Weird, huh?
>>
>>129967424
You are full of assumptions and unfortunately none of them are correct.

Europe would not have created the magnificent works of art without standing on the shoulders of the classical era. Art, literature, and a return to the pursuit of knowledge from that era were possible due to the mass deaths of the population and the concentration of wealth. Indeed, if you look at any mass extinction event, life thrives afterwards through punctuated equilibrium. Why would this be different with humanity?

However, the real age of progress was during the Enlightenment, a return to naturalism and the observations of the world we live in. Yet during the Enlightenment there was also a return to the Romantic view, especially in art and literature (by travelling away from the poisonous, Jewish blight that is known as Christianity).
>>
>>129968616
ok you are addressing the renaissance correct. I also pointed out that polytheism served Europe well also. Now I don't know what the fuck your deal is because a slew of commentors have also lead op directly to christianity by telling him to read the bible. in contrast i said op do research. I will assume something now your an underage newfag that's out for the summer being a pain in the ass for shits and giggles. amiright?
>>
>>129968616
enlightment and classical were eras long after the renaissance tard go back to school
>>
>>129969361

I differentiated the renaissance and the Enlightenment quite clearly by making a comparison between the two.

My main point of contention is obviously your insistence of (((universal truths))) and your push to the Abrahimic faiths.

Blood and soil. That is where you should start. Who are you, and who are you descended from. What did they believe? Where are your ancestors from? What religion do/did they believe?
>>
File: Agnostic_Question_Mark.svg.png (7KB, 165x317px) Image search: [Google]
Agnostic_Question_Mark.svg.png
7KB, 165x317px
>>129943796
Don't be foolish
>>
>>129970345
so your problem is with Abrahamic faiths when I have consistently pushed the OP to research everything?? And firstly took into account the fucking picture he posted at his opening post yeah fuck off.The enlightment(1700-1800) stands on the shoulders of classical(1750-1820) which in turn relied on the renaissance(1300-1700). There are truths if you compare everything long enough consistent laws that human societies have agreed upon even within differing ethnic groups during the tribal era of europe you could compare and contrast different dieties Lugh, Loki,Lucifer. But your pushing op to ethnic religion/faith?? if that's the case I'm down I'm an henotheist myself.
>>
>>129946474
>the Screwtape Letters

It takes the Devil's perspective, and is very funny, but at the same time it slips you a bunch of redpills on Christianity, and really, life in general.
>>
Read Hebrews.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews+1&version=NASB

>Inb4 LOL HEBREWS
>>
>>129961058
yes, but they don't include all of them

>>129959534
I'm of the firm suspicion that the old testament validates the idea of reincarnation when you closely study the interactions of the Soul with SHeol

“The Lord kills and makes alive;
He brings down to [d]Sheol and raises up.
“The Lord makes poor and rich;
He brings low, He also exalts.
“He raises the poor from the dust,
He lifts the needy from the ash heap

>tartarus
well, i include the gnostic gospels in my cannon, so i run into it a lot more
>>
>>129943796
Here is what helped me out a lot.
First, get to know at least the basics of the bible, mainly the New Testament.
I listened to the interview of Jordan Peterson on the Joe Rogan Experience. Helped me put a lot of things in perspective with evolution.
Then, I listened to "The Great Good Thing" by Andrew Klavan. Yeah, I know he is a jew,but it is a good book and really gets the wheels turning.
Then I listened to "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis. He does a pretty good job of breaking down Christianity into it's component parts.
I did it in that order because the Jordan Peterson and "Mere Christianity" are both heavy, whereas "A great good thing" is lighter material and serves as a great way to break up the two.
>>
>>129943796
stop being a bitch and needing to spoonfed ur info . u r a pussy
>>
>>129949077
God created nature, therefore evolution isn't against the faith.
>>
>>129949077
an infinite being created something out of nothing. Evolution not much of a stretch.
>>
>>129943796

I'm an atheist (tip), and I don't believe the Bible is divinely inspired. But I think it's important to read the Bible and study it. Its ideas are foundational to our society. So much of history and literature and everything will click into place for you if you give it a shot, I promise.
>>
>>129972686
Found the christfag.

Telling lies for jesus, the post.
>>
>>129971018
>the Enlightenment which starts before the classical stands on the classical
>>
>>129972406
>>129972593
I'm only bringing it up because I don't believe that you can have original sin, as described in the bible (which is a central idea in Christianity), and also believe in evolution

At least without making heretical claims
>>
>>129973018
meh technically it's like a 20-50 year overlap.
>>
>>129973260
original sin wasn't a thing in original christianity it came it thought 200 years after catholicism was made "official" by constantine. Evolution being a problem seems to be only a thing in the states in other parts of the world it's a OK I hate to drag the vatican in this but they have some of the most learned people/scientist that would advocate for evolutionary theory.
>>
>>129973260
i should actually clarify that original sin came into the picture 200 years later after the start of christianity and was influenced by Grecian philosophy/religion via celsus
>>
>>129973982
>>129973687
So ultimately, your conclusion is that people who include the doctrine of original sin in their worship and practice of Christianity are "doing it wrong." Am I correct?

Which means that evolution is a non issue for original sin.

Actually could you explain to me what your conclusion is? I'm not smart enough to make these inferences on my own, and I can't exactly figure out what you're getting at, so I'd rather hear it from you.
>>
>>129959534
You're supposed to yell Bingo.
>>
>>129974380
Or scream like an eagle.
>>
>>129974352
Not really there is a certain amount of truth in the saying that chickens coming home to roost. which I see as the underlying message lifted from the original greek tale.
I don't see how evolution and original sin overlap??
>>
>>129943796
If you're interested in religion as such, I might start with Plato's writings on the topics of justice as well as piety. It's good to have a good sense of what religion is first.

I would recommend works like Saint Augustine's City of God, his Confessions and if you're interested in Catholicism, Lumen Gentium. These works should all be available online. They treat of religion, te history of religion (City of God especially) and Christianity.

Saint Augustine was a formative intellect for Western culture and thinking. We are right at home in his mind.
>>
>>129975153
nice. this anon knows what's up
>>
>>129974767
Then I suppose we have no qualms, because I'm just going to assume that you do not take the story in genesis to be literal.

>I don't see how evolution and original sin overlap??
I'll lay out my thinking based on the model in genesis.
>If you believe in evolution
>Then you must accept that the world is billions of years old, because evolution is a process that takes billions of years
>You must also accept that there have been many different iterations of humans
>If the world is billions of years old, and there were many different iterations of humans, there was no Adam and Eve as described in Genesis, and that means that the creation of original sin did not take place

This is of course directed at those who say that "God guided evolution" or something of that nature. The only feasible defense that line of thinking could mount for the existence of original sin has no scriptural support, and is merely conjecture.

I'm no Theologian, but that's just my thinking on the topic
>>
>>129975473
you are right I don't interpret the bible literally but because I'm constantly comparing them to other religious texts and sagas finding similarities and such. so this is largely a non issue for me and my beliefs (I'm henotheistic). That said I hope you find truth or what resonates with you to the core. Happy philosophizing/thinking.
>>
>>129975473
I'm actually of the opinion that humanity is much older than we are led to believe but other religions (aztec and mayan texts) have stated that there have been other human like creatures before us and have been destroyed so in my mind it's weird and convoluted mind you it does make sense.
>>
>1 post by this ID
Thread posts: 297
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.