[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sorry but it's true. If automation was as bad as people

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: auto.jpg (84KB, 470x313px) Image search: [Google]
auto.jpg
84KB, 470x313px
Sorry but it's true. If automation was as bad as people have been saying then why in the 3 years since that autistic video "humans need not reply" made its debut has nothing changed? Why do I still see swaths of low skill jobs just as unautomated as they were a decade ago? Why are self driving cars (which are THE symbol of automation) just as unavailable to the average consumer as they were a decade ago and with as much progress as they had 3 years ago?

Say it with me: automation is a meme
>>
File: 1493854993053.jpg (61KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1493854993053.jpg
61KB, 1280x720px
>>129410966
>Why are self driving cars (which are THE symbol of automation) just as unavailable to the average consumer as they were a decade ago and with as much progress as they had 3 years ago?

Government regulation
>>
The question is a bit larger: why should companies remain inefficient for the sake of paying unneeded workers? And won't those companies that automate put those other, inefficient ones out of business anyway, regardless?
>>
It's coming. I code for an robotics company. Two of my friends from graduating class do the same. Three of my cousins are all Chad finance bros who are investing in automation companies. My girlfriend's brother does auditing work and is working on whether or not the current 4g cell phone tower network can handle uber's demands for when they roll out self driving cars.

It's here.
>>
Automation of low skill work is not s meme but the extent of how many people will be displaced is not yet known because we've never had tech this advanced before. There are people who say automation creates more jobs in the long run who fucking knows.
The only thing you can do to prevent being fucked is making sure you arent some idiot factory worker with no real skills
>>
Even with automation we still need instrumentation, maintenance, millwright's, etc. for general day to day operation in plants.

Yes, machines do the work, but we still have to program and install them to do the work and repair any malfunctions which occur.

Jobs may be reduced but as we progress we will gain more jobs in other more relevant fields.
>>
Liberals simultaneously believe "automation" will steal all our jobs and that we need more immigrants for labor to boost our economy

That's how you know they are full of shit
>>
>>129410966
automotive engineer here

pretty much the goal is to automate out all the subhumans working in the plant. we don't want to ever have to deal with the laborers

the big bucks in automotive for the next few years will be in who can automate their production the fastest
>>
File: thumb_COLOURBOX4395201.jpg (54KB, 263x320px) Image search: [Google]
thumb_COLOURBOX4395201.jpg
54KB, 263x320px
>>129410966
my neighbor likes to employ ppl he doesnt need, simply b.c he knows the market needs it

i can imagine that abruptly moving into full automation would disrupt the market/economy too much that it'd result in lost profits ultimately; where as instead we could slowly wean and transition to minimize any risk and damage to maximize profit
>>
>>129411656
>My girlfriend's brother does auditing work and is working on whether or not the current 4g cell phone tower network can handle uber's demands for when they roll out self driving cars.

IT Engineer here, it can't. It's why they're pushing for "5G" despite the lack of fundamentally improved wireless tech. V2V communications are going to push a shitload of traffic and until we have an enterprise-grade OLSR-style network protocol we're not going to see a "networked self-driving car" in large numbers.
>>
File: ru5ljznz9b6y.jpg (186KB, 977x638px) Image search: [Google]
ru5ljznz9b6y.jpg
186KB, 977x638px
>>129410966
The meme about robots replacing people is older than most of our modern societies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Turk

The "ROBOTS WILL TAKE HUMAN ROLES" is a fucking meme and today it's part of the "Singularity" theme, ie. they will argue for the sake of arguing. It's based on no actual development, just needs to be a non-falsifiable argument.

Industrial robots have been available for decades and indeed nothing has changed. They just claim the big change is around the corner to get attention.
>>
>>129412979
This. Talk of "automation" is just Marxist claptrap that has no basis in reality
>>
>>129412005
Yep, they said a similar thing when steam engines came up. You can calculate the wage someone lifting stuff would get if he has to compete with coal, and it's pennies for hours of moving up stuff.

What was the impact for society? Standard of living increased massively, more products were around.
>>
>>129413161
have you ever been to an automotive plant? half the shit in there is already automated
>>
>>129413327
when the assembly line was created, it meant humans are not wanted anymore - robots performing repetitive and confined tasks are, whether they are made of flesh or of metal.
>>
>>129413327
That's exactly my point, society adjusts around the automation. These Marxists and other Communists use use automation as a propaganda to support their bullshit like universal basic income or other thinly veiled communist initiatives
>>
>>129413751
uh..........it's not just "marxists" who support UBI though

pretty much every ceo in silicon valley is saying that UBI will be necessary when their AI products hit the market and human workers become utterly unnecessary

pretty much everybody who is not doing something requiring a high degree of intellect is going to be automated the fuck out in 20-30 years and the current educational system is not adapting for that fast enough
>>
>>129412979
> there literally exists automatic vacuums
>>
>>129414061
>pretty much everybody who is not doing something requiring a high degree of intellect is going to be automated the fuck out in 20-30 years and the current educational system is not adapting for that fast enough
There it is again, assertions without any proof. Gloom and doom bullshit that no one takes seriously

>pretty much every ceo in silicon valley is saying that UBI will be necessary when their AI products hit the market and human workers become utterly unnecessary
Oh geez, you mean those scumbags in california want UBI? You sure proved your point about how UBI isn't thinly veiled communist bs
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.